Marquand Manuel interview

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
...on KJR just now. Anybody hear it? I had no idea he was an assistant with the Hawks right now. Pretty cool, thoughtful guy, and candid too. I get the impression he wasn't too happy with Etric Pruitt's performance in XL. Hopefully, they'll throw it up on the website; I'll update this post with link if they do.

McGruff

Reaction score
Just listened to assistant DB coach Marquand Manuel on KJR and I have to say it was one of the coolest interviews I've heard in a long time. A lot of time spent looking back at the 2005 Super Bowl, and the impact. His injury had on the game. He has no doubt that had he played the whole game we would've won. Says he was prepared and that there is no way Willie Parker would've scored or that he would've bitten on the Randle El pass. The most frustrating part was sitting on the sideline watching a guy who wasn't prepared to play blow it on the field.

The most interesting part was how that game impacted his future coaching career. Even in 2005 the team called him "coach" and he was known for being the most mentally prepared played on the field. That game convinced him that every player on the roster has to be prepared equally. Even if they don't get the practice reps, they need the extra film room time and study time so that if they get called it won't be mental mistakes that cost the game. Fits in perfectly with Pete's always compete mantra, and Wilson's separation/preparation line.

I believe in the not too distant future, Kris Richard is going to be our DC and Manual is being prepped to coach the secondary. He's a bright dude and has a long future in this league.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Always really liked Manuel....and have always agreed with the notion that his injury sealed our fate in the Super Blow. His replacement was not ready for the assignment.

McGruff

Reaction score
Also, evidently Holmgren told him in the Hotel Elevator the night before the game that Manuel would be the SB MVP . . . And in a sad way, he was.

OP
OP
VivaEfrenHerrera

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
McGruff":icrzufm8 said:
Also, evidently Holmgren told him in the Hotel Elevator the night before the game that Manuel would be the SB MVP . . . And in a sad way, he was.
Yeah. But on the other side, it sounds like he's bringing that forward into his coaching. The whole "next man up" thing could be kind of a cliche, but Marquand knows it in his bones. That's gotta shine through.

Axx

Reaction score
Says he wouldve won the game if he had played huh?
Remind you of anyone?
Rico

rastahawk

Reaction score
Was it Manuel that laid out Isaac Bruce during a Rams game? Sounds like he has got some good coaching philosophies. This is the best secondary we've had. Ever.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Funny story. I own a tint shop in Kirkland and guess who's car I tinted recently. He is a really chill guy, and loves football. We talked a good while about the current team and his coaching and all that. He said "Kam Chancellor loves to be a monster". He really had a lot of great things to say about him in particular. This is a guy who you can tell loves football, and has a lot of knowledge to share. He seems to be a good teacher.
I personally don't think we would have been allowed to win XL no matter who we had in there. I think he made the refs job easier by getting hurt though. Sour grapes I guess.

Attachments

• manuel1.jpg
    manuel1.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 1,296
OP
OP
VivaEfrenHerrera

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
ivotuk":11706swg said:
Link? I'm not having any luck finding one
I just sent a note to Mitch's producer asking if it's going up. Hopefully, it will soon.

P.S. Nice story from Sprfunk above. Love it when famous people are just cool people.

ivotuk

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":2covs9rl said:
ivotuk":2covs9rl said:
Link? I'm not having any luck finding one
I just sent a note to Mitch's producer asking if it's going up. Hopefully, it will soon.

P.S. Nice story from Sprfunk above. Love it when famous people are just cool people.

Thank you kind sir! And ditto on the cool story, thanks for the pic too :)

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I, too, still believe we would have won the SB if he hadn't gotten hurt. That opened a huge hole in our Defense.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Kelly Herndon gets a lot of crap for that loss. The flea flicker killed us, not sure if Manuel would have stopped it though.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":1h0ynmq6 said:
The flea flicker killed us, not sure if Manuel would have stopped it though.

He was solid all year (remember Manuel was an injury replacement for Hamlin and played sound football the rest of the year), no reason to believe he wouldn't.

But that flea-flicker was opened up by the huge run earlier by Parker. In which Pruitt was the man to stop it, and didn't because he was out of position. Manuel almost certainly would have been in the right spot.

That run opened up the pass later.

Infamous425

Reaction score
Sprfunk":3tmobvi2 said:
Funny story. I own a tint shop in Kirkland and guess who's car I tinted recently. He is a really chill guy, and loves football. We talked a good while about the current team and his coaching and all that. He said "Kam Chancellor loves to be a monster". He really had a lot of great things to say about him in particular. This is a guy who you can tell loves football, and has a lot of knowledge to share. He seems to be a good teacher.
I personally don't think we would have been allowed to win XL no matter who we had in there. I think he made the refs job easier by getting hurt though. Sour grapes I guess.

Jay's Tint Shop?

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Infamous425":16xsbuyn said:
Sprfunk":16xsbuyn said:

Jay's Tint Shop?

Lol Yup. I am no longer incognito.