Why statistics mean nothing to me

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Why statistics mean nothing to me
Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:37 am
  • Here’s a crazy stat about being the regular-season NFC big dog: Only one of the past six No. 1 seeds in the NFC has advanced to the Super Bowl. The exception was the 2009 New Orleans Saints, who went on to win Super Bowl XLIV.

The Seahawks have the league’s best record after 11 games. That’s it. In the past three seasons, how many teams with the best record after 11 games have advanced to the Super Bowl? Zero. Houston (10-1) couldn’t do it last season. Green Bay (11-0) couldn’t do it in 2011. New England and Atlanta, both 9-2, couldn’t do it in 2010.

http://seattletimes.com/html/jerrybrewe ... 20xml.html
    ImageImageImage

"You kept believing, you kept fighting, you kept clawing and scratching
    and look what you freakin' did. Put that freakin' trophy up again!" - Pete Carroll
    tom sawyer
    NET Veteran

Re: Why statistics mean nothing to me
Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:43 am
  • tom sawyer wrote:Here’s a crazy stat about being the regular-season NFC big dog: Only one of the past six No. 1 seeds in the NFC has advanced to the Super Bowl. The exception was the 2009 New Orleans Saints, who went on to win Super Bowl XLIV.

The Seahawks have the league’s best record after 11 games. That’s it. In the past three seasons, how many teams with the best record after 11 games have advanced to the Super Bowl? Zero. Houston (10-1) couldn’t do it last season. Green Bay (11-0) couldn’t do it in 2011. New England and Atlanta, both 9-2, couldn’t do it in 2010.

GB and NE both rely on their QBs a ton and both of their Defenses suck. It isnt suprising they can be upset. I mean Rodgers scored 50+ and 40+ in 2 playoff games and they lost both. Atlanta was ok. Their problem is they couldnt finish a game. They were up HUGE on both us and the 49ers and choked both leads away. And Houston, didnt they have a ton of injuries?
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:57 am
  • tom sawyer wrote:Here’s a crazy stat about being the regular-season NFC big dog: Only one of the past six No. 1 seeds in the NFC has advanced to the Super Bowl. The exception was the 2009 New Orleans Saints, who went on to win Super Bowl XLIV.

So statistics mean nothing to you because you don't understand the statistical concept of small sample size?
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:00 am
  • Want to play Texas hold 'em with me, then?
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:20 am

Nobody....wait, let me emphasize this NOBODY had home field advantage in the Super Bowl. I mean, yes it's possible for the rarity to happen that a team whose city hosts the game actually plays in the game, but the odds are not really that good there. Basically once teams make it through their perspective Championship games, neither has HFA. Seattle is undefeated in NFC playoff games when having HFA throughout the playoffs. There's a stat for you.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:35 am
  • If statistics mean nothing to you why did you post this?

:shock:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:39 am
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:
    tom sawyer wrote:Here’s a crazy stat about being the regular-season NFC big dog: Only one of the past six No. 1 seeds in the NFC has advanced to the Super Bowl. The exception was the 2009 New Orleans Saints, who went on to win Super Bowl XLIV.

So statistics mean nothing to you because you don't understand the statistical concept of small sample size?

Nope! Because statistics are like a bikini... what they reveal is suggestive, however, what they conceal is vital!!
    ImageImageImage

and look what you freakin' did. Put that freakin' trophy up again!" - Pete Carroll
    tom sawyer
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:40 am
  • That's less a statistic and more an odd correlative set of truths that you have posted, but uh, okay...
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:00 am
  • The Radish wrote:If statistics mean nothing to you why did you post this?

For the same reason people climb mountains I suppose.
    ImageImageImage

tom sawyer
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:34 pm
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:Want to play Texas hold 'em with me, then?

Buahahahahaha. Win.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:34 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:Nobody....wait, let me emphasize this NOBODY had home field advantage in the Super Bowl. I mean, yes it's possible for the rarity to happen that a team whose city hosts the game actually plays in the game, but the odds are not really that good there. Basically once teams make it through their perspective Championship games, neither has HFA. Seattle is undefeated in NFC playoff games when having HFA throughout the playoffs. There's a stat for you.

The closest any team came to home field for a superbowl was the '84 49ers who played Miami at Stanford...pretty close, but not Candlestick (thankfully).
    NorCalHawk12
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:21 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:Nobody....wait, let me emphasize this NOBODY had home field advantage in the Super Bowl. I mean, yes it's possible for the rarity to happen that a team whose city hosts the game actually plays in the game, but the odds are not really that good there.

That's because the NFL always wants it in a dome or somewhere sunny (where all of the crap teams play) for all of the socialites and business clowns who don't know crap about football. They're about the only ones that can afford to go anyway. The closest we've got to anything resembling weather was that Colts/Bears game where it was pissing down rain. I'd kill for an Ice Bowl in MetLife this year.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:25 pm

I have a feeling that some of you struggle to see the distinction between discussing stats and living by them. It's entirely possible to discuss them without feeling like they trump reality or the laws of physics.

I am of the opinion that some stats are interesting and others are not. Some hold meaning and some do not.

That said, I disagree and I like stats.
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:30 pm
    KitsapHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:11 pm

Seahawks with the best record in the NFC + Qwest Field "the best home field advantage in the NFL" = Easiest road to the Super Bowl.
    cover-2
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:16 pm
  • tom sawyer wrote:
    The Radish wrote:If statistics mean nothing to you why did you post this?

For the same reason people climb mountains I suppose.

If you don't want answer then just say so.

:th2thumbs:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:20 pm
  • Saying "Only one of the past six No. 1 seeds in the NFC has advanced to the Super Bowl" is the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern of statistical "probabilities."

And for you uncultured rubes who don't get the reference:

World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:26 pm
  • Nicely done.

I rather enjoyed this:

Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:31 pm
  • KitsapHawk wrote:Image

The BUNK.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:48 pm

Statistics don't mean anything when you select what stats are important when you already know the results. There are literally an infinite number of permutations, of what combinations of things you can look at and out of all these, randomly you'll get some that fit your argument.

If you put any import into stats they must be as generic as possible and you have to use the same ones year after year. Best team after 11 seasons, why not pick after 13 or 5 games? Why only three seasons? Such a minuscule sample size?
    plyka
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:20 am
  • That sounds a lot like 49er fans trying to rationalize their season by saying getting to the playoffs is all that matters just because the Giants got lucky a few years ago. Since the NFL started awarding HFA through the playoffs to the top teams in each conference, "40 of 74 No. 1 seeds have won their conference and advanced to play for the Vince Lombardi Trophy". Only TWO 6-seeds made it to the Super Bowl during that same time frame.

(from http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/visual ... ds-succeed)
    bigwrm
    NET Rookie

Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:29 am
  • I like how we LOVE statistics here..........except when they're not in our favor.

#1 seeds don't make it to the SB very often?................WELL THEN STATS MEAN NOTHING TO ME! I SAID GOOD DAY!
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:40 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I like how we LOVE statistics here..........except when they're not in our favor.

#1 seeds don't make it to the SB very often?................WELL THEN STATS MEAN NOTHING TO ME! I SAID GOOD DAY!

There's a big difference between actual in game stats and random "stats" like that.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:41 am
  • The Seahawks have a pretty good track record for being the #1 seed and making the SuperBowl.

That's all I care about.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:46 am
  • KK84 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I like how we LOVE statistics here..........except when they're not in our favor.

There's a big difference between actual in game stats and random "stats" like that.

I don't see the difference. Stats are stats, hard factual data used to generate percentages. I just find it funny how some of us love stats when they're gushing all over our Hawks, but poo poo stats when they don't. That's right I said poo poo!
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:40 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    KitsapHawk wrote:Image

The BUNK.

"She gave me the p@#$$, but won't gimme back my shoes? that's screwed up jimmy!!!"
    We are the 2014 Superbowl champions and it can never, ever be taken away.
    Greatest defense in NFL history.
    Seeker
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:52 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information