Will Pete coast once we clinch

Rocket

Reaction score
With all the 1-0 and Com-Pete and all, will Pete coast once we clinch home field advantage or will he just keep on keepin' on?

Add reasons Pro and Con as well.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Rocket":6zazrc15 said:
With all the 1-0 and Com-Pete and all, will Pete coast once we clinch home field advantage or will he just keep on keepin' on?

I think he keeps making an impact regardless of WHEN we clinch.

Polaris

Reaction score
Rocket":1l2skkcl said:

I don't think so...at least not in the conventional sense. I just don't see this team or Pete having the mentality that would permit them to 'coast'. At most he would use T-Jax and the backups a lot more as though this were pre-season, but remember that Pete plays the pre-season games to win as well.

muxpux

Reaction score
i was bummed in 05 as S.A. never got credit for finishing with the stats he did despite sitting out so much. against the eagles when we pulled starters, and late games after we clinched. he should have easily got the rushing title and had a few more TD's.

i doubt we have that situation this year, and in the grand scheme it doesnt matter but if it comes down to Lynch being a couple yards from the title or something, i foresee Pete letting him get a couple carries.

yeah you dont want injuries, but with such a late bye week, and possibly getting the first week off in the postseason, i dont see him pulling many starters unless they are a blowout.

ratso

Reaction score
With an undefeated season not on the line, I believe once we clinch HFA, Pete will give the back-ups some playing time but also not let the starters get rusty. Just get evryone in a position to be the best they can be come playoff time.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He'll always coach for the win. Doesn't matter if it's starters or back-ups.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Russ take the day off with St. Louis's edge rushers coming to town. But that's me.

hawker84

Reaction score
If we get in that position, i could see that. No need to risk injury. I personally don't see that happening, i could see NO, CAR pushing us all the way for HFA.

jblaze

Reaction score
I don't think they'll coast. He may play his backups but they will compete and probably outperform the other team's #1's. You just don't change philosophy on the fly like that.

That said, they may keep the pedal down as well and try to send a message to the rest of the league that we're not to be messed with, especially considering if we win HFA and they have to deal with the Clink.

There's a certain continuity that they're starting to build the past couple of weeks and especially now that guys are getting healthy that we need the experience and familiarity. Now that we're fully healthy and with only 5 games left, you can make a case for keeping the hammer down to build momentum.

stack600

Reaction score
If all the marbles are won and all the stars line up, sitting at 14-1 against the Rams,With HFA and another week off, I really don't think so, I see Coach playing out, but with a few more reps to backups, T-Jax, and CO. when we got the lead in the 4th.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I think it will be like a preseason game(s). Starters will still play a quarter or 2 depending on how they are performing and how the game is unfolding, then the backups get a lot of work.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1g4geul2 said:
He'll always coach for the win. Doesn't matter if it's starters or back-ups.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Russ take the day off with St. Louis's edge rushers coming to town. But that's me.

+1

I think he will go all out with the backups. They will play to win, Pete would say how lucky we are to be able to get backups real game experiance. And we will get the wins.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I don't think Pete knows how to coast. But I do see him giving the back-ups significantly more playing time if the games don't mean as much.

makkapakka

Reaction score
I have been wondering this. Is every game a championship game? I hope we find out.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Depends on your definition of coast. I don't think Pete EVER coasts. If he wanted to coast, he didn't need to make that challenge at the end of the Vikings game. Pete will put in backups when the time is right, but he will still play each game with that comPETE philosophy. He just will be doing that with fewer starters in the game.

Kamcussion

Reaction score
Its been shown that coasting in the final couple games makes for an early exit..

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Interesting question. It's hard to imagine Pete letting up on the gas too terribly much. We'll know a lot more in three weeks. If the Hawks beat the Saints and Niners, they'll pretty much have this thing by the short and curly. If they drop the game on Monday night, there ain't gonna be any kind of coasting any place.

You throw in the fact that the last two games are against division rivals at the CLink, and it becomes pretty hard to imagine any kind of coasting that would have the home crowd leaving the building disappointed.

If they do get to 12-1, then the game against Goddell's lads is a prime suspect for a bit of a letdown/slowdown/whatever.

Sac

Reaction score
Pete worked way too hard to instill the always compete, win forever,1-0 attitude to coast.

The closest thing we'll see is starters getting rested earlier in games, if we're up big.