Rice who?

Renohawk

Reaction score
WOW, looking at RW stats, 13 completions to 9 different receivers, looks like the WR group is flourishing since Rice got injured.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sidney.

Sidney Rice. And while it's great to see the passing game not miss a beat while he's on IR, I really hate how some of .NET craps all over Rice. He's made some damn crucial catches for this team, and he's been professional his entire time here. Yeah, he was overpaid, but so what?

bestfightstory

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2gbdrfjj said:
Sidney.

Sidney Rice. And while it's great to see the passing game not miss a beat while he's on IR, I really hate how some of .NET craps all over Rice. He's made some damn crucial catches for this team, and he's been professional his entire time here. Yeah, he was overpaid, but so what?

Agree. Why disparage this guy? Why?

Kixkahn

Reaction score
Rice is a very good receiver. We don't have a playing catch duo like so many other teams so he doesn't have huge numbers like Johnson in Detroit or Smith in Carolina. I love that about Wilson, because their defense can't just focus on one or two players they have to watch all.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Renohawk":3791chog said:
I think his catches were few and far between of what you expect a #1 to have.

Few? Consider the offense in which he was playing. Our run/pass ratio is more skewed to the run than just about any team in the league, and that's by design. No matter what designation you put on our WRs (#1, #2, #87, whatever), they're not going to put up the big numbers that you see from Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones. We're not that kind of team.

Rice has laid his body on the line for the Seahawks repeatedly since he signed here. He made the catches that won the NE and Chicago games last year. He made some spectacular catches for us this year. He deserves respect for that.

If you want to criticize the salary he was making, aim it at the FO. They're the ones who agreed to the contract.

OP
OP
R

Renohawk

Reaction score
Please don't take my post as bashing Rice. Even when he was starting, I posted that Tate and Baldwin should be starting over him as he didn't seem healthy. I'm pointing out do we really need him as Baldwin and Tate seem to have picked up the slack.

hawker84

Reaction score
I agree with the post above, and why even bring it up, he's hurt and he's done for the season, and will probably not be here next season. let it go, the team has moved on, why re-open old wounds in such a time of excitement?

Happypuppy

Reaction score
It's just how the NFL works. He has had a pretty good run but for the team and made some great plays. The team has to stay young to be competitive. The young players look pretty good even Lockette is looking improved and even blocks fairly well. Wilson reads the field better as he gains even more understanding he is not even done with his 2nd year. I think we will see spreading of the ball continuing.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Were it not for his Salary, would Rice be getting crapped on like he has? I like Rice and I think it is truly disingenuous to ignore the fact that he has been a huge contributor to this team in his stay here. The fact that he has not had Marshall or Megatron like numbers is more to do with the offensive scheme than a lack of skill or speed on his part. We are extremely fortunate to have such depth (Wilson fed the ball to 8 different guys yesterday!) in the Receiving corps to absorb a loss such as this.

Do I think he will be back here next year? Probably not without some serious restructuring of his contract.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Yeah, enough with the Rice trash talk.

Guy was never a squeaky wheel coming here with an unstable QB situation. Had some injuries that he played through. The contract he was given wasn't his fault and neither were the injuries. He made some spectacular plays last year for us. I'm not sure how Wilson would have developed without Rice around last season, and when our 'too short' rookie QB was starting for us Rice didn't complain.

It's one thing to embrace the fact that we're getting by without him but to pose your post topic in such a way is just being a poor fan. He didn't shoot up any night clubs or smash into a busload of children at 7 AM while drunk or something.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Sad how even when things go good, certain fans need whipping boys to take shots at. :roll:

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":165gj07k said:
Yeah, enough with the Rice trash talk.

Guy was never a squeaky wheel coming here with an unstable QB situation. Had some injuries that he played through. The contract he was given wasn't his fault and neither were the injuries. He made some spectacular plays last year for us. I'm not sure how Wilson would have developed without Rice around last season, and when our 'too short' rookie QB was starting for us Rice didn't complain.

It's one thing to embrace the fact that we're getting by without him but to pose your post topic in such a way is just being a poor fan. He didn't shoot up any night clubs or smash into a busload of children at 7 AM while drunk or something.

Overreact to his statement much? All he noted was the opinion the WRs seem to have picked up their numbers since Rice left. It isn't like he craped all over him. I think you need to read the OP again and I agree with it. It seems like Rice wasn't performing up to last years level and I don't think that can all be put on scheme. It's an observation not hate and certainly not a point over which to questions someone's fandom.

Schadie001

Reaction score
Come on...Rice is a good receiver...not a great receiver. For the $ he is getting we should be really missing his presence and we all know we really aren't. I don't see us keeping him at even a fraction of his current price tag next year when we have younger guys who have great hands and won't cost as much. Baldwin has been lights out this year.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Rice getting hurt actually helped this team tremendously. While he was playing, the WRs were getting trashed for not producing and not getting open, and he was taking the most heat as the presumed #1. Once he went down, Tate, Baldwin and Kearse were forced to step up and they absolutely have. That was the catalyst they apparently needed to go out there and perform to such a high level. This team is so much better without him out there, as his absence has forced the other guys to elevate their game and they have. Thank you Sidney.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Schadie001":2es1inv7 said:
Come on...Rice is a good receiver...not a great receiver. For the $ he is getting we should be really missing his presence and we all know we really aren't. I don't see us keeping him at even a fraction of his current price tag next year when we have younger guys who have great hands and won't cost as much. Baldwin has been lights out this year.
Had we paid less, we wouldn't have gotten Rice. Name another WR out there on the FA - earning what you seem to believe Rice should have earned - who would have done for us what Rice did. And I don't mean in raw numbers, I mean the role he filled in our offensive scheme.

Go ahead.

When you get back to me on that, THEN you can tell me he was overpaid.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Wide receivers changing teams in FA have a long history of being overpaid. Sidney was just another one. And he HAS made some clutch catches for the team so let's not cut him short there.

Also, consider this... the Run First nature of this team took a huge step forward when we traded for Marshawn, which followed the signing of Sidney by a year.

Rice's targets have been limited ever since he got here... first it was TJack and his torn pectoral muscle in 2011... and then it was a muzzled rookie QB in 2012... and then it was his knee this year until he was IR'd.

The expectations for Sidney exceeded his production... it's okay... we're okay.

Crizilla

Reaction score
i wonder if Rice was ever selfish in the huddle and wanted the ball more. Whatever, though, I like him but since hes been gone and now that we have Percy... our offense is really really scary right now. Not having Rice is helping us spread the ball around more. Still would like to see more dump offs to Willson