Rice who?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Rice who?
Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:38 am
  • WOW, looking at RW stats, 13 completions to 9 different receivers, looks like the WR group is flourishing since Rice got injured.
    "A superstar can win any game; however, a team can win every game".
    Renohawk
    NET Starter

Re: Rice who?
Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:40 am
  • Sidney.

Sidney Rice. And while it's great to see the passing game not miss a beat while he's on IR, I really hate how some of .NET craps all over Rice. He's made some damn crucial catches for this team, and he's been professional his entire time here. Yeah, he was overpaid, but so what?

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:42 am
  • I think his catches were few and far between of what you expect a #1 to have.
    Renohawk
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:44 am
  • volsunghawk wrote:Sidney.

Sidney Rice. And while it's great to see the passing game not miss a beat while he's on IR, I really hate how some of .NET craps all over Rice. He's made some damn crucial catches for this team, and he's been professional his entire time here. Yeah, he was overpaid, but so what?

Agree. Why disparage this guy? Why?
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:47 am
  • Rice is a very good receiver. We don't have a playing catch duo like so many other teams so he doesn't have huge numbers like Johnson in Detroit or Smith in Carolina. I love that about Wilson, because their defense can't just focus on one or two players they have to watch all.
    Kixkahn
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:48 am
  • Renohawk wrote:I think his catches were few and far between of what you expect a #1 to have.

Few? Consider the offense in which he was playing. Our run/pass ratio is more skewed to the run than just about any team in the league, and that's by design. No matter what designation you put on our WRs (#1, #2, #87, whatever), they're not going to put up the big numbers that you see from Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones. We're not that kind of team.

Rice has laid his body on the line for the Seahawks repeatedly since he signed here. He made the catches that won the NE and Chicago games last year. He made some spectacular catches for us this year. He deserves respect for that.

If you want to criticize the salary he was making, aim it at the FO. They're the ones who agreed to the contract.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:48 am
  • Please don't take my post as bashing Rice. Even when he was starting, I posted that Tate and Baldwin should be starting over him as he didn't seem healthy. I'm pointing out do we really need him as Baldwin and Tate seem to have picked up the slack.
    Renohawk
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:58 am
  • I agree with the post above, and why even bring it up, he's hurt and he's done for the season, and will probably not be here next season. let it go, the team has moved on, why re-open old wounds in such a time of excitement?
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:30 am
  • It's just how the NFL works. He has had a pretty good run but for the team and made some great plays. The team has to stay young to be competitive. The young players look pretty good even Lockette is looking improved and even blocks fairly well. Wilson reads the field better as he gains even more understanding he is not even done with his 2nd year. I think we will see spreading of the ball continuing.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:32 am
  • Why knock down a guy to build others up
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:34 am
  • No doubt, talking smack about a guy who isn't even playing. Um.......
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:47 am
  • Were it not for his Salary, would Rice be getting crapped on like he has? I like Rice and I think it is truly disingenuous to ignore the fact that he has been a huge contributor to this team in his stay here. The fact that he has not had Marshall or Megatron like numbers is more to do with the offensive scheme than a lack of skill or speed on his part. We are extremely fortunate to have such depth (Wilson fed the ball to 8 different guys yesterday!) in the Receiving corps to absorb a loss such as this.

Do I think he will be back here next year? Probably not without some serious restructuring of his contract.
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:52 am
  • Yeah, enough with the Rice trash talk.

Guy was never a squeaky wheel coming here with an unstable QB situation. Had some injuries that he played through. The contract he was given wasn't his fault and neither were the injuries. He made some spectacular plays last year for us. I'm not sure how Wilson would have developed without Rice around last season, and when our 'too short' rookie QB was starting for us Rice didn't complain.

It's one thing to embrace the fact that we're getting by without him but to pose your post topic in such a way is just being a poor fan. He didn't shoot up any night clubs or smash into a busload of children at 7 AM while drunk or something.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:56 am
  • Sad how even when things go good, certain fans need whipping boys to take shots at. :roll:
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:02 am
  • Hawknballs wrote:Yeah, enough with the Rice trash talk.

Guy was never a squeaky wheel coming here with an unstable QB situation. Had some injuries that he played through. The contract he was given wasn't his fault and neither were the injuries. He made some spectacular plays last year for us. I'm not sure how Wilson would have developed without Rice around last season, and when our 'too short' rookie QB was starting for us Rice didn't complain.

It's one thing to embrace the fact that we're getting by without him but to pose your post topic in such a way is just being a poor fan. He didn't shoot up any night clubs or smash into a busload of children at 7 AM while drunk or something.

Overreact to his statement much? All he noted was the opinion the WRs seem to have picked up their numbers since Rice left. It isn't like he craped all over him. I think you need to read the OP again and I agree with it. It seems like Rice wasn't performing up to last years level and I don't think that can all be put on scheme. It's an observation not hate and certainly not a point over which to questions someone's fandom.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:02 am
  • Come on...Rice is a good receiver...not a great receiver. For the $ he is getting we should be really missing his presence and we all know we really aren't. I don't see us keeping him at even a fraction of his current price tag next year when we have younger guys who have great hands and won't cost as much. Baldwin has been lights out this year.
    Schadie001
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:41 am
  • Rice getting hurt actually helped this team tremendously. While he was playing, the WRs were getting trashed for not producing and not getting open, and he was taking the most heat as the presumed #1. Once he went down, Tate, Baldwin and Kearse were forced to step up and they absolutely have. That was the catalyst they apparently needed to go out there and perform to such a high level. This team is so much better without him out there, as his absence has forced the other guys to elevate their game and they have. Thank you Sidney.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:43 am
  • Schadie001 wrote:Come on...Rice is a good receiver...not a great receiver. For the $ he is getting we should be really missing his presence and we all know we really aren't. I don't see us keeping him at even a fraction of his current price tag next year when we have younger guys who have great hands and won't cost as much. Baldwin has been lights out this year.

Had we paid less, we wouldn't have gotten Rice. Name another WR out there on the FA - earning what you seem to believe Rice should have earned - who would have done for us what Rice did. And I don't mean in raw numbers, I mean the role he filled in our offensive scheme.

Go ahead.

When you get back to me on that, THEN you can tell me he was overpaid.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:08 am
  • Wide receivers changing teams in FA have a long history of being overpaid. Sidney was just another one. And he HAS made some clutch catches for the team so let's not cut him short there.

Also, consider this... the Run First nature of this team took a huge step forward when we traded for Marshawn, which followed the signing of Sidney by a year.

Rice's targets have been limited ever since he got here... first it was TJack and his torn pectoral muscle in 2011... and then it was a muzzled rookie QB in 2012... and then it was his knee this year until he was IR'd.

The expectations for Sidney exceeded his production... it's okay... we're okay.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:10 am
  • i wonder if Rice was ever selfish in the huddle and wanted the ball more. Whatever, though, I like him but since hes been gone and now that we have Percy... our offense is really really scary right now. Not having Rice is helping us spread the ball around more. Still would like to see more dump offs to Willson
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    U MAD BRAH?
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:16 am
  • You guys are blowing this way out of proportion.

Some of the same guys who are saying layoff Rice were the ones bashing him a few weeks ago.
    jblaze
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:54 am
  • I also do not understand why everyone craps on Rice so much. His play has been great, just not what we would expect for how much he makes.

But it's not our money, so why do we care?

He is going to be missed during this playoff run just because he would be another threat out on the field and add to our depth.

I don't see anything good about him being out, other than some of the other guys get some time on the field. But would I rather have Rice or Lockette out there?

Can't believe some of you are happy he's out.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:56 am
  • bestfightstory wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:Sidney.

I agree as well. Guys like Turbin, Giacommini (minus the penalties), Browner, etc. are ripped on at times by the fan base here. It's like folks have their favorite players that walk on water, the others are marginalized and hated on.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:05 am
  • Hawks46 I also agree, the truth should be that no Hawks are hated here. I truly wonder if these guys saying this stuff are really fans or are they opposing team fans trolling.
    Kixkahn
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:08 am
  • Just because you're a fan doesn't mean you can't criticize your players. Just because he's on IR and most likely moving on after this season doesn't make him untouchable to criticism.

That said, I like Rice and he gave it his all every single play and that's all we can really ask.
    jblaze
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:10 am
  • Count me in as someone who appreciates what Rice brings to this team. I like how he jumped on Kearse about not being honest when Rice asked Kearse to critique his route. I think he brought a lot to this team on and off the field. Also, money to me is irrelevant. I don't pay him and with Russell Wilson having such a low salary, well, it really doesn't matter.

Now, do I think he'll be back next year at the same salary or at all? No, I doubt it.
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:14 am
  • I loved having Rice. Overpaid for his statistical production (of course), but who cares. Helped turn the Hawks into what they are today through some big plays and such so I'll never bash the guy.

Houshmanzadeh...I'll bash the hell out of that guy though!!!!
    Seahawk Mike
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:11 pm
  • I agree with the OP that, yes, it has seem like our passing game has progressed since Rice was put on IR.

And I also agree that OP wasn't bashing on Rice. This was an observation presented folks. Chill.....
    TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!
    Hawk-A-Loogie
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:13 pm

Beat me to it. Guy has had some BIG 3rd and long receptions on the sideline.
    RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:40 am
  • In regards to our offense taking off since Rice has been out, it helps that since Rice has been out we have faced three of the four worst defenses we have played this season. If we can do as well against the Saints and Niners, who are both top ten defenses than maybe we can start making comparisons. Atlanta and Minnesota are 29th and 32nd in points allowed and are 25th and 30th in yards allowed.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:48 am
  • I did not take the first message as bashing on Rice but celebrating the fact that others have stepped up and the team does well even without the no.1 receiver.

The offense would be stronger with Rice but not as much as feared.
    The Moment: Image
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:05 am

I agree. His being overpaid wasn't his fault.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:52 pm
  • Some players and coaches are fair game for catching hell on forums while others are given a free pass and defended even if their production isnt their.Bevel and Bradley catch hell while Cable and Quinn pretty much get a pass.Its funny how a player like Branch can get a ton of crap on forums when he actually had better years than Rice did.
    Rice has been a good part of this team not really all that important part but he has made some plays and been alright.Overpaid for sure.
    I dont think the OP was out of line with what he said.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:11 pm
  • Starrman44 wrote:Count me in as someone who appreciates what Rice brings to this team. I like how he jumped on Kearse about not being honest when Rice asked Kearse to critique his route. I think he brought a lot to this team on and off the field. Also, money to me is irrelevant. I don't pay him and with Russell Wilson having such a low salary, well, it really doesn't matter.

Now, do I think he'll be back next year at the same salary or at all? No, I doubt it.

when was this?
    Swedishhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:18 pm
  • Swedishhawkfan wrote:
    Starrman44 wrote:Count me in as someone who appreciates what Rice brings to this team. I like how he jumped on Kearse about not being honest when Rice asked Kearse to critique his route. I think he brought a lot to this team on and off the field. Also, money to me is irrelevant. I don't pay him and with Russell Wilson having such a low salary, well, it really doesn't matter.

when was this?

It was either during OTA's or Training Camp. I'll try and find a link later. We're moving right now and continuing through the week-end. Gotta love packing and moving, right?
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:50 pm
  • I'm done with rice. I'm sure he is a nice guy but in the real world when you make a lot of money and underperform you get fired. He should be fired. I expected way more out of him when we signed him then what we actually got.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:02 pm

Agreed. It's his bad luck he gets a season ending injury while playing when obviously injured 2-3 weeks before Harvin arrives with a quarterback with the same qualities as Brady (throws to whoever is open).
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:08 pm
  • Always liked Rice. He brought physicality and play making ability when he did get his chances. Not his fault he didn't get many chances.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:36 pm
  • Swedishhawkfan wrote:
    Starrman44 wrote:Count me in as someone who appreciates what Rice brings to this team. I like how he jumped on Kearse about not being honest when Rice asked Kearse to critique his route. I think he brought a lot to this team on and off the field. Also, money to me is irrelevant. I don't pay him and with Russell Wilson having such a low salary, well, it really doesn't matter.

when was this?

Here is the link. I don't know if I know how to post it correctly from my smartphone.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/05/seattle-seahawks-leadership/
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:38 pm
  • jblaze wrote:Just because you're a fan doesn't mean you can't criticize your players. Just because he's on IR and most likely moving on after this season doesn't make him untouchable to criticism.

That said, I like Rice and he gave it his all every single play and that's all we can really ask.

^^^this x2
    Brett
    NET Rookie

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:55 pm
  • RiverDog wrote:

His underperformance was.....gotta earn that paycheck
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:59 pm
  • bestfightstory wrote:

Well, being overpaid is bad. So theres that.
    Sorry, a crucial catch every 3 games isnt worth it when everyone else is doing it better, more often, for less, and with tater tots.
    KitsapHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:01 pm
  • ImTheScientist wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:

His underperformance was.....gotta earn that paycheck

Mind says yes, body says no.

Loved him in Minny. Been disappointed more and more every year since.
    Colin Kaepernick wrote:I think our efficiency in the huddle was more of a factor than the crowd.
    C-Dub
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:21 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information