Who to cheer- SF or NO....

Appleegg1

Reaction score
I don't really get it. I'm rooting for the Saints.

"A bird in hand worth 2 in the bush"
"Don't count your chickens before they hatch"
"Don't put the cart before the horse"

And most importantly-

"ON ANY GIVEN SUNDAY"

Funny, two weeks ago, people were jumping ship after the Tennessee, St. Louis and Tampa games. And now, after beating 2-7 Atlanta, many have already counted our games with New Orleans and San Francisco as automatic wins.

Personally, I feel we will finish 15-1. But, it's pretty much been accepted as a rule of thumb
-win the division first.

Lastly, when you start looking ahead in your schedule, overlooking your upcoming opponent, counting wins before you've played the game, that's when you get caught.

DESTROY SQUIDWARD!!!!!!

Reaneypark

Reaction score
We win either way, especially if it's a tough, hard-fought game.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
All I really want is for both teams to beat the snot out of each other.

But my preference would be for the Saints to beat the everloving crap out of the digits, on the field and on the scoreboard. It's on us to take care of business against the Saints when they come here.

AVL

Reaction score
I'm with the Saints by a lot group.

Hawks46

Reaction score
BlueTalon":xf9tmzaq said:

But my preference would be for the Saints to beat the everloving crap out of the digits, on the field and on the scoreboard. It's on us to take care of business against the Saints when they come here.

I agree. At some point we're going to have to earn the #1 seed, either by beating the Saints, or beating the 49ers, preferably both.
I'm going for the Saints as they have the hardest schedule left. The Niners have the Saints tomorrow, us, and @Arizona on the last game of the season. Those are really the only loseable games for them.

The Saints have the Niners, @US, then they have to play a red hot Carolina team twice. That's 4 very loseable games for them to two very loseable games and one mediocre tough game for the Niners.

We have the easiest schedule really. Our toughest stretch is Saints and home and @Niners. If we win both those games it would take an epic and unlikely failure for us to lose the 1st seed.

If the Niners somehow beat the Saints, we have to hang a loss on the Niners, or we have to win every other game. Personally, I like our chances against the Saints at home vs. a must win game @SF.

drdiags

Reaction score
I probably wouldn't mind seeing the Saints win but neither one is out to do the Seahawks any favors so I will not get upset one way or the other. I know it is a sentiment that happens a lot but after decades of hoping someone else takes care of business for the Seahawks, I am glad it is up to them to make the case for winning the division and getting HFA.

'05 team didn't need from teams in the NFC West to trip up. They handled their business against the NFC East and AFC South to win HFA on their own.

Both Saints and 9ers can go on a roll, as long as the Seahawks take care of their business things will work out.

purpleworld

Reaction score
As much as i hate SF, i will be cheering for their win on Sunday....though i hope they both beat the hell out of each other. Having a 2+ game lead over each for the best record in the Conference is HUGE!

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I wrote about this exact subject this past week. For those who are thinking about rooting for San Francisco this weekend, just consider this and how that win COULD affect things as far as playoff seeding is concerned ...

I've been giving this some long and hard thought ... and in the end, I would say that rooting for New Orleans would probably be the prudent move. Let me lay it out for you why ...

Let's say that the 49ers end up winning this weekend and beating the Saints. While that might make several Seahawks fans happy in the here and now, let's play this forward and explore what could happen.

The 49ers would then be 7-3 ... and the Saints would fall to 7-3 as well. A win against the Saints would mean that the 49ers would be just 2 games behind the Seahawks for the NFC West lead.

The 49ers face the Redskins (on the road) and the Rams (at home) after that. Let's project wins in those games as well ... and say that the Seahawks win the Viking game ... and the Saints beat the Falcons in Week 12 (all plausible and predictable).

Let's further say that the Seahawks end up somehow LOSING that Monday Night matchup to the Saints. That's a good Saints team, so that's entirely possible. Let's also say that a re-energized 49ers team ends up beating the Seahawks in San Francisco in Week 14 and winning out the rest of their games.

Additionally, let's also say that the Seahawks (outside of losing to the 49ers and Saints) win the rest of their games as well.

That would change the equation quite a bit. Here’s how that would look …

San Francisco 49ers (13-3)

Week 1 – vs. Green Bay Packers [5-4] (Win 34-28)
Week 2 – at Seattle Seahawks [9-1] (Loss 3-29)
Week 3 – vs. Indianapolis Colts [6-3] (Loss 7-27)
Week 4 – at St. Louis Rams [4-6] (Win 35-11)
Week 5 – vs. Houston Texans [2-7] (Win 34-3)
Week 6 – vs. Arizona Cardinals [5-4] (Win 32-20)
Week 7 – at Tennessee Titans [4-5] (Win 31-17)
Week 8 – at Jacksonville Jaguars [1-8] (Win 42-10)
Week 9 – BYE
Week 10 – vs. Carolina Panthers [6-3] (Loss 9-10)
Week 11 – at New Orleans Saints [8-3] (WIN in this scenario)
Week 12 – at Washington Redskins [3-6] (WIN in this scenario)
Week 13 – vs. St. Louis Rams [4-6] (WIN in this scenario)
Week 14 – vs. Seattle Seahawks [9-3] (WIN in this scenario)
Week 15 – at Tampa Bay Buccaneers [1-8] (WIN in this scenario)
Week 16 – vs. Atlanta Falcons [2-7] (WIN in this scenario)
Week 17 – at Arizona Cardinals [5-4] (WIN in this scenario)

Seattle Seahawks (13-3)

Week 1 – at Carolina Panthers [6-3] (Win 12-7)
Week 2 – vs. San Francisco 49ers [6-3] (Win 29-3)
Week 3 – vs. Jacksonville Jaguars [1-8] (Win 45-17)
Week 4 – at Houston Texans [2-7] (Win 23-20)
Week 5 – at Indianapolis Colts [6-3] (Loss 28-34)
Week 6 – vs. Tennessee Titans [4-5] (Win 20-13)
Week 7 – at Arizona Cardinals [5-4] (Win 34-22)
Week 8 – at St. Louis Rams [4-6] (Win 14-9)
Week 9 – vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers [1-8] (Win 27-24)
Week 10 – at Atlanta Falcons [2-7] (Win 33-10)
Week 11—vs. Minnesota Vikings [2-7] (WIN in this scenario)
Week 12 – BYE
Week 13 – vs. New Orleans Saints [7-2] (LOSS in this scenario)
Week 14 – at San Francisco 49ers [10-3] (LOSS in this scenario)
Week 15 – at New York Giants [3-6] (WIN in this scenario)
Week 16 – vs. Arizona Cardinals [5-4] (WIN in this scenario)
Week 17 – vs. St. Louis Rams [4-6] (WIN in this scenario)

Tiebreaker #1 – Head to Head (Best Win/Loss% Between 2 Clubs) …

In this scenario, San Francisco and Seattle would each be 1-1, having won against each other. Like last time, we move on to the next tiebreaker.

Tiebreaker #2 -- Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

Let's say that the Seahawks and 49ers only loss in the division is to each other (i.e. each sweeps the Rams and Cardinals and is 1-1 against each other) ...

49ers … 5-1
Seahawks … 5-1

They would be tied in this scenario, so we move on to the 3rd Tiebreaker …

Tiebreaker #3 – Best Win/Loss Percentage in Common Games …

Again, in this scenario we’ll assume that the 49ers win out the remainder of their games. Here are the games that the 49ers and Seahawks Played in Common along with their record against each …

49ers …
Indianapolis … Loss
Rams … Win
Houston … Win
Cardinals … Win
Tennessee … Win
Jacksonville … Win
Carolina … Loss
New Orleans …Win
Rams … Win
Tampa Bay … Win
Atlanta … Win
Cardinals … Win
49ers Record … 10-2

Seahawks …
Carolina … Win
Jacksonville … Win
Houston … Win
Indianapolis … Loss
Tennessee … Win
Arizona … Win
St. Louis … Win
Tampa Bay … Win
Atlanta … Win
New Orleans … Loss
Arizona … Win
St. Louis … Win
Seahawks Record … 10-2

The Seahawks and 49ers would again be tied, so we would move on to the next tiebreaker ...

Tiebreaker #4 -- Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

49ers ...
Week 1 -- Packers ... Win
Week 2 -- Seahawks ... Loss
Week 4 -- Rams ... Win
Week 6 -- Cardinals ... Win
Week 10 -- Panthers ... Loss
Week 11 -- Saints ... Win
Week 12 -- Redskins ... Win
Week 13 -- Rams ... Win
Week 14 -- Seahawks ... Win
Week 15 – Buccaneers … Win
Week 16 – Falcons … Win
Week 17 – Cardinals … Win

49ers NFC Record would be ... 10-2

Seahawks ...
Week 1 -- Panthers ... Win
Week 2 -- 49ers ... Win
Week 7 -- Cardinals ... Win
Week 8 -- Rams ... Win
Week 9 -- Buccaneers ... Win
Week 10 -- Falcons ... Win
Week 11 -- Vikings ... Win
Week 13 -- Saints ... Loss
Week 15 -- Gaints ... Win
Week 16 – Cardinals … Win
Week 17 – Rams … Win

Seahawks NFC Record would be ... 10-2

Because the Seahawks and 49ers would again be tied ... we move on to the next tiebreaker …

Tiebreaker #5 – Strength of Victory …

Here’s where the tie would probably be broken. Two games separate the Seahawks schedule from the 49ers Schedule. Here they are …

49ers …
Week 1 – Green Bay Packers [5-4 Record] Won 34-28
Week 12 – Washington Redskins [3-6 Record]
Combined Record of Opponents … 8-10

Seahawks …
Week 11 – Minnesota Vikings [2-7 Record]
Week 15 – New York Giants [3-6 Record]
Combined Record of Opponents … 5-13

Therefore, if all that played out (and it very well could) … by virtue of the schedule the 49ers would be the ones winning the NFC West – not the Seahawks. The Hawks would end up falling clear down to the #5 Seed.

So in the end, it's probably just better to hope that the Saints end up throwing the last shovel full of dirt on the 49ers this weekend rather than giving this zombie any chance to resurrect itself.

jhawk91

Reaction score
Hawks46":1h98wxbn said:
BlueTalon":1h98wxbn said:

I agree. At some point we're going to have to earn the #1 seed, either by beating the Saints, or beating the 49ers, preferably both.
I'm going for the Saints as they have the hardest schedule left. The Niners have the Saints tomorrow, us, and @Arizona on the last game of the season. Those are really the only loseable games for them.

The Saints have the Niners, @US, then they have to play a red hot Carolina team twice. That's 4 very loseable games for them to two very loseable games and one mediocre tough game for the Niners.

We have the easiest schedule really. Our toughest stretch is Saints and home and @Niners. If we win both those games it would take an epic and unlikely failure for us to lose the 1st seed.

If the Niners somehow beat the Saints, we have to hang a loss on the Niners, or we have to win every other game. Personally, I like our chances against the Saints at home vs. a must win game @SF.

Not necessarily, wouldn't we hold the tie breaker with them losing to panthers?

Tical21

Reaction score
We root for the Saints by a wide-wide margin. No-brainer. If somehow we have a worse record than the Saints after the regular season, we are going to be the #2 seed most likely, if they beat the 49ers. Also the Saints have Carolina twice more. This means we have a bye, play the divisional game at home, and only play on the road if the Saints win their divisional game. We have a bye, and one road game, max.

If we somehow end up behind the 49ers, we are the #5 seed and have to win three playoff games on the road. Keep me as far from that scenario as possible.

Seahawkx

Reaction score
We will most probably be winning our game before the SF/NO game is decided. It's going to be awsome to watch a game like that where it doesnt matter who loses or wins because at the end its a win-win for us! :D

jhawk91

Reaction score
drdiags":1lms4x8p said:
I probably wouldn't mind seeing the Saints win but neither one is out to do the Seahawks any favors so I will not get upset one way or the other. I know it is a sentiment that happens a lot but after decades of hoping someone else takes care of business for the Seahawks, I am glad it is up to them to make the case for winning the division and getting HFA.

'05 team didn't need from teams in the NFC West to trip up. They handled their business against the NFC East and AFC South to win HFA on their own.

Both Saints and 9ers can go on a roll, as long as the Seahawks take care of their business things will work out.

This s true as well, the hawks control there own destiny. If they just go out and win the games they should, they will win HFA. Of course having some teams implode and help us out would be great :D

On a side note, I went back and looked at the standings from 2005 and we were the only NFC team with 13 wins and the next best was about 4 teams with 11. How crazy is it that this year there could be 4 teams with at least 13 wins in us, New Orleans, San Fran and Detroit (by virtue of a horribly easy schedule the rest of the way)

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I just don't see the whiners winning out. They have at least 2 more losses on that schedule.

themunn

Reaction score
jhawk91":kt661gkb said:
Hawks46":kt661gkb said:
BlueTalon":kt661gkb said:

Not necessarily, wouldn't we hold the tie breaker with them losing to panthers?

Nah, because in the scenario where we "HAVE" to beat the Niners, they'd have won out and we would have lost another game elsewhere too to have a 13-3 record at the end - if that game we lose is to the Giants or Vikings "great!" (obviously not great). But if it's to any of our other opponents... the Niners would have beaten them, and our strength of opponent schedule is far easier (the two teams above compared to Washington and Green Bay).

Hawknballs

Reaction score
the most important part of this equation is that the Seahawks control their own destiny.

keeping winning and you'll get the top seed.

win the next 3 games and your chances at the top seed are almost all but assured.

1-0 every week.

I think the biggest thing is that the seperation is in the preparation, and I just can't wait to compete.

Go hawks!

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":3mpq614z said:
I just don't see the whiners winning out. They have at least 2 more losses on that schedule.

I agree with this and I will see the upside if they beat the Saints tomorrow, which is highly unlikely-Saints have won AND covered the spread in 14 consecutive games played at home with Sean Payton on the sidelines.

I think the Saints pose the greatest threat to us of any team in the NFC so, for that reason, I kind of want them to lose tomorrow. Although I will probably wager on them to win.

Jville

Reaction score
I would like to see the Cardinals and 49ers with identical win-loss records. I would much prefer the Cardinals as the wild card team from the NFC West.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
We want the 49ers to win.

They are big brother, an older, less talented version of the Seahawks. If they can beat the Saints, then likely the Seahawks should be able to, too.

Also, the Saints are 5-0 at home, I want them to look somewhat beatable, in the event, Seahawks can't hold onto the number 1 seed.

A 49ers win also strengthens the division as much as I want to see them fail miserably and fall into a pit of despair over a shattered season.