Are we exposed somehow

Hawknight

Reaction score
I'm not an X & O guys, far from it but is out team somehow exposed? I know we got two backups on the Oline where teams are pushing right through, but don't we as a team adjust for that...can someone help me here break it down in lamans terms for me? Defense winning games for us is the obvious.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I think we've become predictable on both sides of the ball. I do think our D is probably tired, but it looks like offenses have found out that we cave a bit when they run straight at us and bring extra blockers (pulling linemen & FB's). Our passing game is still pretty simple, but they did a better job yesterday of snap, step & throw and it helped us out quite a bit, imo. I think it's a predictable team that needs rest and to throw some different defensive looks at our opponents. Offense still needs to work on the quick passing game in a big way. Our protection was better and Russ got rid of the ball a few times yesterday when in the past he would hold it and get into trouble.

Largent80

Reaction score
They simplified the run game too by using only a handful of plays that have been working so I liked seeing us run like that.

Adjustments were made on D in the 2nd half, and at one point the camera was on the Hawk D-Line and the looks on their faces told me we were going to win, it was awesome seeing that.

Ninerg

Reaction score
Hawknight":1wvyctt1 said:
I'm not an X & O guys, far from it but is out team somehow exposed? I know we got two backups on the Oline where teams are pushing right through, but don't we as a team adjust for that...can someone help me here break it down in lamans terms for me? Defense winning games for us is the obvious.

Your defense doesn't seem like it can stop the run. Teams like the Rams and TB are gashing your defense on the ground.

Largent80

Reaction score
Ninerg":ut4dfs46 said:
Your defense doesn't seem like it can stop the run. Teams like the Rams and TB are gashing your defense on the ground.

Largest comeback in Seahawk history. 8-1, that's all I need to know.

OP
OP
Hawknight

Hawknight

Reaction score
Largent80":21cce0eg said:
Ninerg":21cce0eg said:

Largest comeback in Seahawk history. 8-1, that's all I need to know.

And that's a great accomplishment and feeling all wrapped in one.

OP
OP
Hawknight

Hawknight

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3imby897 said:
I think we've become predictable on both sides of the ball. I do think our D is probably tired, but it looks like offenses have found out that we cave a bit when they run straight at us and bring extra blockers (pulling linemen & FB's). Our passing game is still pretty simple, but they did a better job yesterday of snap, step & throw and it helped us out quite a bit, imo. I think it's a predictable team that needs rest and to throw some different defensive looks at our opponents. Offense still needs to work on the quick passing game in a big way. Our protection was better and Russ got rid of the ball a few times yesterday when in the past he would hold it and get into trouble.

Thanks!!!!!

Axx

Reaction score
this team needs a much deserved bye week right now to rest up

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
I think the biggest problem with this team is youth. They obviously came out flat thinking the Bucs were going to be a walk in the park (like most of us did, as well). While it's bothersome that they can let a team like the Bucs jump out to that lead, it's also pretty impressive that they recovered and still pulled out the victory. Most young teams with the potential for greatness lose a few games like these before they "get it". My hope is that our young team is learning those hard lessons while still managing to win.

I'd also say that there was nothing I've seen so far this year that led me to believe this team would recover from a 21 point deficit. Our offense has never fully found its groove this year, and the fact that they were able to do find a little of that even while still shooting themselves in the foot on a few occasions has me feeling better about the team as a whole than I have in a few weeks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If there's one weakness on our defense, it's panic.

When things aren't going well, many of our defensive players like to take matters into their own hands and try to be the hero...........instead of playing smart, staying in their gaps and staying with their assignments.

This results in overrunning plays, being out of position and not being in correct gaps. Thus mediocre QB's and RB's having career days against us. I'm sure Pete and Quinn hammered this point home during halftime yesterday, which is why you saw a much more disciplined D in the second half. Still a cause for concern though, because this trend keeps happening. It's just lucky that we have the talent to overcome it (so far).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hawknight":388i92vn said:
Defense winning games for us is the obvious.

Hm. I would say not so obvious. We had over 400 yards of total offense on Sunday. 8/12 on 3rd down. Passed well, rushed well. The O actually saved the day yesterday. Poor run D has been keeping them off the field the last two games.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1fy18ase said:
Hawknight":1fy18ase said:
Defense winning games for us is the obvious.

Hm. I would say not so obvious. We had over 400 yards of total offense on Sunday. 8/12 on 3rd down. Passed well, rushed well. The O actually saved the day yesterday.

Without the turnovers to end long drives, we'd have taken this game much more easily.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Ninerg":3kfgr8vh said:
Hawknight":3kfgr8vh said:

Over the last 2 games, you have a somewhat valid point. But, I think there's many more considerations. Zac Stacy is for real. That Tampa OL hits people in the mouth. The Fox guys (Howie Long, etc.) also spoke of the college game vs. pros and how any team can come out and beat you and also the difficulties for players to get up for games against teams they're supposed to beat.

Still, I think your blanket statement is primarily an intended jab from a rival team fan (not merely an overly obvious observation during a rough 2 game stretch - in which the Seahawks still prevailed.) Not saying that you're picking a fight and I'm not trying to incite one either. But, what did your statement accomplish by saying it? Probably unnecessary.

Adjustments happen throughout the contour of every season. Yes, teams game plan to give them the best chance to win. Credit both the Rams and the Bucs for putting together and executing their best possible scenario. Very glad that the Hawks came out on top in both games. It's going to be tough down the stretch for rivals and the media to say that teams are going to "figure out" the Hawks... when that apparently already happened mid-season and the team persevered, won and could very well be stronger for it. It's painful to see for us (and not good for our tickers), but it could end up serving the Hawks well.

I seem to remember the Bucs and other teams facing similar questions during their Super Bowl Championship seasons. The previously unbeatable-looking Saints proved beatable yesterday. Teams will face adversity.

Go Hawks!!!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Ninerg":won6izuz said:

But the big question for you is: does it seem this way after we play SF?

No? Didn't think so.

"Mind your own business!" (where's the dark ages French accent emoticon?)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":p8ht21ct said:
As I see it, we are exposed. Completely. Teams have finally figured out how to almost-beat us on a consistent basis.

Stopping the run is as much being motivated and prepared as it is having the talent.

We have the talent, but for some reason our front seven hasn't matched the Rams and Bucs O-Line's in the intensity department the past two games. Winning the trench war is a street fight, our front seven has to BRING IT and be assignment perfect, which they've been neither.

Happy

Reaction score
The defense looks tired to me. The lopsided TOPs are catching up to them.

I liked seeing the return of ground and pound I formation football. We need to hold the rock and start winning the TOP battle. Keep in mind Pete fired his last OC for moving away from the run, so I imagine some discussions have taken place behind closed doors.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Can we please stop trying to pretend that we go up against "the best front X" or a "really good runningback" or whatever other new excuse?

These are professional football teams with professional players on both sides of the ball. It stands to reason that some of their players are good and if this in indeed a championship team it should be able to handle it.

I think the niner fan is right. We are struggling at stopping the run right now. We have a lot of great fast DL but our issues against the run have got to be ironed out by the niner game.

Newsflash, we just barely beat an 0-7 team AT HOME. We, in fact, went to overtime. Can we stop pretending there is no problem because there clearly is. Please go back in recent history and find me examples where 0 win teams have beaten superbowl bound teams, with the exception of the last game where the other team might be resting its players.

We struggled with a Rams team that came back to earth against the Titans and then we struggled with a 0 win team at home.

A win is a win, unless it is a harbinger of future losses. This team has been playing *@#$* football for several weeks now, let's please not pretend otherwise. Our OL is struggling, our defense cannot stop the run, and we are subjecting our star QB to a ridiculous amount of punishment. Combine that with a relatively anemic offense lately and it is hard to be as optimistic as some of you, especially considering the glaring mistakes by some of the staff.

They not only are not dominating, they are squeaking by. Squeaking by weak teams, and all we can do is pray that when our guys get healthy that things will go back to "normal" or that Harvin will somehow return and produce, turning this team into a worldbeater again.

formido

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":17rllsrj said:
but they did a better job yesterday of snap, step & throw and it helped us out quite a bit, imo.

It didn't help us, not even a little. It was just different, and probably slightly worse. Wilson threw 2 interceptions, some of his worst interceptions in a long time. He's not elite at these types of throws, and if you force him to make them, there will be mistakes. Wilson's passer rating was significantly worse than last week.

If you're set on the passing game looking a certain way, and it starts to look more that way, then you'll see an improvement. But objectively, in the ways that win games, it definitely was not an improvement.

Not only that, by standing in the pocket, Wilson took more abuse than ever and was noticeably hurt.

stack600

Reaction score
I may be seeing thing's, But didn't The Bucs gameplan look a lot like the Rams. Atleast on thier offensive gameplan. And the worse part is it worked again. Actually better, looking at 21 unanswered points in the first half. I agree with you Sgt. Largent. They are not staying in gap assignments, and over running plays. and going for the strip instead of wrapping up and making the tackle. The runs up the middle got K.J. out of his zone and then he got seal blocked on the cut back. I saw it a few times in this game and the Rams game. This problem can be fixed. And I belive it will be. And were was the pressure. We are going into Atlanta against Matty ice, We signed Avril and Bennet, just for this game after losing in the playoffs. Without pressure on Ryan he will carve us up, even without his top WRs out with Injuries. The D has some work to do this week.