Rams Quinn needs a big time fine cheap shot on RW

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Watch this...

He needs a big fine and a beatdown IMO.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• Looks fine to me - he went high but didn't blow him up like he could have, nor did he go for the head. There was another play where Wilson got sacked, then another guy came and plowed him when he was already down, however. I would like to see a fine on that play.
    nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

• I don't see anything there that would justify a fine or a beatdown in any way.

At the very most, we could talk about that hit being a LITTLE late, but not by much.

If that was one of our DEs hitting an opposing QB, we'd scream bloody murder if a flag, fine, or anything else came out in response to that hit.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• The ball was thrown. He intentionally hit him in the head. There's not even an attempt to tackle he had one goal to hit hit him in the head....
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• It's against a Seahawk, even if he ripped his head off, he'd likely get away with it.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Looked like a perfectly legal sack to me. Not sure what the problem is. :Dunno:
    Football Outsiders wrote:The Seahawks have a third-and-long defensive DVOA of -102.1%. Seriously, when Seattle knows you have to pass, you are completely terribly, violently screwed.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Looks fine to me.
    hedgehawk
    NET Veteran

• Quinn will never get to heaven doing that to the chosen one.
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• McQuistan should be fined for that whiff.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:Looked like a perfectly legal sack to me. Not sure what the problem is. :Dunno:

Can't open the link but there's talk in this thread of Quinn being a tad late and the ball already thrown. Couldn't possibly be a legal sack then could it?
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: DE Cassius Marsh
    XxxZagnutxxX
    * NET Alumni *

• Why? That's the sort of play Id be pissed if a seahawk got fined/flagged for. Hit right after the throw, hard to stop hard to tell if ball is gone.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

• XxxZagnutxxX wrote:
    Chapow wrote:Looked like a perfectly legal sack to me. Not sure what the problem is. :Dunno:

Can't open the link but there's talk in this thread of Quinn being a tad late and the ball already thrown. Couldn't possibly be a legal sack then could it?

No it couldn't, I misspoke.

Looked like a perfectly legal hit to me.
    Football Outsiders wrote:The Seahawks have a third-and-long defensive DVOA of -102.1%. Seriously, when Seattle knows you have to pass, you are completely terribly, violently screwed.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Looks like your garden-variety NFL cheapo to me. Every team does it. It wouldn't bother me if the league tried to clean it up a bit -- I don't need to see guys taking swings like that to enjoy a football game. Many will disagree, though.
    Q: “What is your thing?”
    A: “Lay back, kick back, mind my business, stay in my own lane.”
    VivaEfrenHerrera
    NET Veteran

• Uh yeah, if that was "God" Peyton or Brady, hell even Andrew Luck, that would have at least been a flag for a late hit or hitting the helmet.
    keatonisballin
    NET Starter

• Yea happypuppy I don't see it either. It looks to me like he's making a swing with his right arm for a strip/sack.

The league allows one step after the ball is gone and I watched it a couple of times and it looks like one step to me. You have to consider the speed that is happening at too. Cool short vid though.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Happypuppy wrote:The ball was thrown. He intentionally hit him in the head. There's not even an attempt to tackle he had one goal to hit hit him in the head....

The ball was thrown JUST before Quinn got there, and he didn't hit him in the head. He swung his arm down (as DEs tend to do) to try and knock the ball loose - going for the strip/sack. He just arrived a touch late.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Looks legit, after all the guy is much taller then Wilson and was going for the ball across Wilsons shoulders, we are getting a reputation for whineing about everything, this thread topic is fuel to that fire.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• hit may have been late, but not a headshot. personal foun (maybe) at best
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Why on earth should that play be fined???

What if Wilson had pump-faked there?

You're worse than Roger Goodell.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• You guys are missing the point. McQuistan REALLY REALLY sucks at tackle.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Isn't this the play where they had P.I., Unnecessary Roughness, and Roughing the passer in the same play? Those of you saying it is legal are out of touch. It is certainly illegal to make contact with the QB's head. Period. End of discussion. If you want to argue that it happens in football all the time and shouldn't be a fine gor right ahead. But if you go high and hit the QB in the head especially when leading with your helmet. If our Clemons hit someone like this you should expect a flag. By rule this is a penalty.
    kamikazehawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• ivotuk wrote:...The league allows one step after the ball is gone and I watched it a couple of times and it looks like one step to me...

That's pretty much it. I suspect he knew he wasn't going to get there and he wasn't going to get the strip either. But he took the shot anyhow because that's the game. Do as much physical damage to the opponent as the rules allow every time there's an opportunity. Every team does it. It would be interesting (to me at least) to see what a more sportsmanship- and less injury-oriented NFL might look like, but I don't think that's going to be happening any time soon.
    Q: “What is your thing?”
    A: “Lay back, kick back, mind my business, stay in my own lane.”
    VivaEfrenHerrera
    NET Veteran

• kamikazehawk wrote:Isn't this the play where they had P.I., Unnecessary Roughness, and Roughing the passer in the same play? Those of you saying it is legal are out of touch. It is certainly illegal to make contact with the QB's head. Period. End of discussion. If you want to argue that it happens in football all the time and shouldn't be a fine gor right ahead. But if you go high and hit the QB in the head especially when leading with your helmet. If our Clemons hit someone like this you should expect a flag. By rule this is a penalty.

Hard to tell if he gets Russell in the head, looks more shoulder to me..........and that's in slow motions. So there's no way the ref could tell in real time.

This is another example of Hawk Homerism, which is quite rampant on this forum. If someone posted a .gif of Clemons hitting a QB like this, no one would say crap.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• kamikazehawk wrote:Isn't this the play where they had P.I., Unnecessary Roughness, and Roughing the passer in the same play? Those of you saying it is legal are out of touch. It is certainly illegal to make contact with the QB's head. Period. End of discussion. If you want to argue that it happens in football all the time and shouldn't be a fine gor right ahead. But if you go high and hit the QB in the head especially when leading with your helmet. If our Clemons hit someone like this you should expect a flag. By rule this is a penalty.

See if you can find another angle of it to support a head shot. He went high, body contact to the upper back and swung his arm around (overhand) for a strip-sack attempt. I do not see contact with the head at all, just high contact.
    nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

• All I see is McQuistan doing a belly flop. Bailey cant be worse can he?
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

Where did he hit him in the head? Across the back of the neck maybe, where is the leading with the Helmet?

Wilson is Shoulder pad high with his head on most players, they are going to look the other direction a lot unless it is deemed with intent or a hand to the helmet outright. Get used to it, what you get when your QB is 5'10" and D Lineman are 6'2" to 6'7" along with having a a dragstrip open to your QB.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• All you are showing is just how poor McQ looks. I have no idea what the coaches are doing letting that guy keep playing the same position since game 2.
    bandiger
    NET Practice Squad

• I see a DE doing what I would want our DE's to do in that situation, try to create a turn-over.

What's the problem?

It's a little late looking at it from that angle, how late is it if you're robert quinn on the other side of the QB just trying to make a play?
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• iigakusei wrote:All I see is McQuistan doing a belly flop. Bailey cant be worse can he?

I also like McQuistan's cut block after Quinn runs passed him. He is not a Tackle, please replace him with someone qualified.
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

• I'm not sure what play you are watching but you can clearly see the head pop forward on impact. If he hits body the would be going the other direction. You can call it Homerism if you want. I am simply clarifying the rule. Contact with the QBs head is illegal. Regardless if its a Seahawk or Ram or whatever. I am of the opinion that there is no need for a fine and I don't even really consider it a cheap shot. It's a play and there is a penalty for it. Half the distance to the goal and you move to the next play. This penalty was declined in lieu of the Pass Interference call though.
    kamikazehawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• chris98251 wrote:
    kamikazehawk wrote:Isn't this the play where they had P.I., Unnecessary Roughness, and Roughing the passer in the same play? Those of you saying it is legal are out of touch. It is certainly illegal to make contact with the QB's head. Period. End of discussion. If you want to argue that it happens in football all the time and shouldn't be a fine gor right ahead. But if you go high and hit the QB in the head especially when leading with your helmet. If our Clemons hit someone like this you should expect a flag. By rule this is a penalty.

Where did he hit him in the head? Across the back of the neck maybe, where is the leading with the Helmet?

Wilson is Shoulder pad high with his head on most players, they are going to look the other direction a lot unless it is deemed with intent or a hand to the helmet outright. Get used to it, what you get when your QB is 5'10" and D Lineman are 6'2" to 6'7" along with having a a dragstrip open to your QB.

Unfortunately the rule book doesn't have any height exceptions. The rule is if you hit the QB in the helmet with any part of your body or helmet it is roughing the passer. If you want to argue that he didn't hit his head, that's fine. I think its clear he does, the referee called the penalty for it. He obviously agrees with me.
    kamikazehawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• kamikazehawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    kamikazehawk wrote:Isn't this the play where they had P.I., Unnecessary Roughness, and Roughing the passer in the same play? Those of you saying it is legal are out of touch. It is certainly illegal to make contact with the QB's head. Period. End of discussion. If you want to argue that it happens in football all the time and shouldn't be a fine gor right ahead. But if you go high and hit the QB in the head especially when leading with your helmet. If our Clemons hit someone like this you should expect a flag. By rule this is a penalty.

Unfortunately the rule book doesn't have any height exceptions. The rule is if you hit the QB in the helmet with any part of your body or helmet it is roughing the passer. If you want to argue that he didn't hit his head, that's fine. I think its clear he does, the referee called the penalty for it. He obviously agrees with me.

I don't think anybody is debating if it's a penalty. I think they're debating the op's point of an intentional cheap shot that warrants a fine. It was a bang bang play, which Quinn took a risk for a strip, and it back fired. To think he should be fined for it is a bit ridiculous. Clemons had a similar play against Indy, but it resulted in a fumble. If he would've been flagged for roughing the passer illegal contact to the head half this board would've been outraged.
    BAllenHawk
    NET Rookie

• kamikazehawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

I don't think anybody is debating if it's a penalty. I think they're debating the op's point of an intentional cheap shot that warrants a fine. It was a bang bang play, which Quinn took a risk for a strip, and it back fired. To think he should be fined for it is a bit ridiculous. Clemons had a similar play against Indy, but it resulted in a fumble. If he would've been flagged for roughing the passer illegal contact to the head half this board would've been outraged.
    BAllenHawk
    NET Rookie

• Actually there are several posts here that suggest this is not a penalty, which is what my post is referring to. It is a penalty and was called as such. If the league started handing out fines every time someone committed a penalty Breno couldn't afford to play in the NFL anymore.
    kamikazehawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• Let's think about it this way; if Irvin did exactly the same play, should he be fined?
    Last edited by Guardian on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Guardian
    NET Veteran

• I think the .gif in the original post does a poor job of showing the malicious intent of Quinn. My brother and I were livid when we saw it during the game. He clearly sees the ball is released and just clubs down towards Russell's head and shoulder.

If I get some time later I will .gif some other angles.

The difference between this play and Clemons play is that Luck still had the ball and that is a huge difference.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• My bias against former UNC players is overwhelming for the most part, but that was not a dirty play. Quinn was in flight before Russell released the ball. I'd take the call and all if it was roughing the passer, but it was not finable Others were right though, we should be fining McQ on that whiff.
    aawolf
    NET Starter

• fine the guy who could not contain him. Come on, why would you fall down like that. It is about taking the right angle and blocking him head on. I know they are quick but in slow mo, it almost look like our line was sleeping and reacting after the guy has gone. This was the story all along.
    seahawks08
    NET Veteran

• seahawks08 wrote:fine the guy who could not contain him. Come on, why would you fall down like that. It is about taking the right angle and blocking him head on. I know they are quick but in slow mo, it almost look like our line was sleeping and reacting after the guy has gone. This was the story all along.

He is playing out of position and they are entirely different positions but yeah, that was pretty bad.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• Man, McQ looks like a sack of fertilizer out there, waaaayyyyy overmatched. I would rather see a rookie give it a shot.

My question is why on earth Unger and Carp were double-teaming the DT (Brockers) when Quinn was turnstiling around McQuistan all freaking day! Does Unger call those protections?
    essonto
    NET Bench Warmer

• Sgt. Largent wrote:McQuistan should be fined for that whiff.

This was what the highlight showed me. Come on Man!
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• kamikazehawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

My poiunt is I don't think it was a penalty, I also thing bitching about incidental contact on a ban bang play is whineing, and lastly his height was the casue of the contact being what it was, I am saying the refs are not going to call things as frequent on a guy that is the height of Wilson, thats like saying a forward in Basketball has to watch where he goes as not to elbow Nate Robinson in the head. Ever watch Doug Flutie Play he took a lot of incedental contacts as well.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Legal hit, no problem there.

McQ should try going back and to the side to try to get in front of the rusher instead of diving sideways after he is already gone. If he shuffles back and then to the side he could have routed him around the back of Wilson.
    OrFan
    NET Veteran

• There's nothing wrong with what Quinn did.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• Looks like most plays. But, if it was a Hawk, flag would have been thrown.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• I think it's pretty clear he tries to deliver a blow to Wilson's head.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Here is a better angle. He had plenty of time to let up IMO. He received a penalty on the play but it was declined because their was also pass interference.

bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• That angle enrages me. That is a cheap shot
    Smoke
    NET Veteran

• He definitely should've pulled back from that. Geez. That's the kind of hit that in the past people here would be calling out the "dirt-bags" to get some payback for doing....
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:19 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information