If I'm Pete Carroll...

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
The first call I make this morning is to the Cleveland Browns to tell them to buy Josh Gordon a one way ticket to Seattle.

Second call I make is to Uncle Guss telling him to pack Blackmon's bags and get him on the plane.

8 man stacked boxes are what we can expect for the rest of the season with our receiving crew. We need a #1 receiver and it's going to cost us a chance at the SuperBowl if we don't get one.

Yes... I know we have Percy coming but we still need a BIG, TALL #1 WR that Russ can just throw the ball up to.

This is our best shot as a SuperBowl we've ever had. We need to do EVERYTHING possible to win this year because NEXT year is NOT guaranteed.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
So we're going to mortgage virtually our entire 2014 draft on two receivers who don't know our scheme or playbook... and expect them to perform right off the bat?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Why? Harvin is back real soon. If there is a trade it better be for the OL.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
If i were Pete Carroll i would go read the book "NFL Offense for Dummies" and learn how to utilize running backs and TE's to help your 2nd string offensive linemen.

OP
OP
bigdaddydave

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":uytoaufp said:
So we're going to mortgage virtually our entire 2014 draft on two receivers who don't know our scheme or playbook... and expect them to perform right off the bat?

Mortgage a 2014 draft where most of the drafted players won't make the team... Or mortgage a 2013 SuperBowl run because we have lack a #1 WR...

Seanhawk

Reaction score
If I'm calling Cleveland, I'm calling for Joe Thomas not Josh Gordon.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
I'm glad OP isn't Pete Carol,, I consider the root of our issues lie with the big men

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
bigdaddydave":qywctdaw said:
theENGLISHseahawk":qywctdaw said:

Mortgage a 2014 draft where most of the drafted players won't make the team... Or mortgage a 2013 SuperBowl run because we have lack a #1 WR...

How do you know most of the players won't make the team? We're going to have to pay Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Michael Bennett in the off-season. There are going to be some high profile cuts. And the only way to stay ahead of the eight ball is to replace those veterans who are cut with draft picks.

And as I said, you can't expect young receivers to just change teams and produce. They need time to learn the playbook, learn the routes, get an understanding with the quarterback. It's not as simple as plug in and play.

One other point -- Gordon is one strike away from a possible life ban. Blackmon has been a pain in the arse for Jacksonville so far and served a four game suspension this year. Not exactly the kind of guys you rush out to get.

strohmin

Reaction score
Yes because every nfl team is just filled with Calvin Johnsons and Julio Jones' except us.

djb28

Reaction score
I am just baffled as to why there was no help blocking? The one or two times I did see a TE in there to help they got blown by too. Back to the basics this week for sure at practice. Remember the water slide?

OP
OP
bigdaddydave

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2uv2dgru said:
bigdaddydave":2uv2dgru said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2uv2dgru said:

How do you know most of the players won't make the team? We're going to have to pay Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Michael Bennett in the off-season. There are going to be some high profile cuts. And the only way to stay ahead of the eight ball is to replace those veterans who are cut with draft picks.

And as I said, you can't expect young receivers to just change teams and produce. They need time to learn the playbook, learn the routes, get an understanding with the quarterback. It's not as simple as plug in and play.

One other point -- Gordon is one strike away from a possible life ban. Blackmon has been a pain in the arse for Jacksonville so far and served a four game suspension this year. Not exactly the kind of guys you rush out to get.

How many players made the team from this years draft and are playing? Also, Pete & John aren't known to be the best drafters of Receiver talent... Sidney & Zach are going to be cut/asked to take a massive pay cut to stay on the team next year.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
bigdaddydave":7ottxbf4 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":7ottxbf4 said:
bigdaddydave":7ottxbf4 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":7ottxbf4 said:

How many players made the team from this years draft and are playing? Also, Pete & John aren't known to be the best drafters of Receiver talent... Sidney & Zach are going to be cut/asked to take a massive pay cut to stay on the team next year.

The difference is that this year, we didn't really have spots opening up. But as we start having to give big contracts to Sherman, Thomas, Bennett, etc., we're going to start losing the depth guys and middle-tier starters. We're going to see situations where guys like KJ Wright (for example) hit FA, and some other team is going to make him an offer we can't do anything about since we're extending an All-Pro CB. When those things start happening, we need to have that drafted depth ready to step in and keep things going. And you can't do that if you're giving away all your draft picks in a knee-jerk reaction.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1kuke85m said:
The difference is that this year, we didn't really have spots opening up. But as we start having to give big contracts to Sherman, Thomas, Bennett, etc., we're going to start losing the depth guys and middle-tier starters. We're going to see situations where guys like KJ Wright (for example) hit FA, and some other team is going to make him an offer we can't do anything about since we're extending an All-Pro CB. When those things start happening, we need to have that drafted depth ready to step in and keep things going. And you can't do that if you're giving away all your draft picks in a knee-jerk reaction.
I concur with this - but he's already stated he's willing to bankroll next years draft for this years superbowl. Ballsy and I don't think we'd be attacking the problem at the right point.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
I would seriously ask myself why we came up with the game plan we did If I were Pete Carroll. The Rams have a horrible run defense; (Pardon the pun) ram it down their throats. I don't understand why we would pass so much knowing the Rams have two book ends that is the strength of their defense. This is idiotic and most teams are either good at run blocking or pass blocking. I would not have cared one iota if the Hawks had punted because they couldn't run the ball, at least we tailor our offense to our strengths. We are NOT a passing team and yet we play to the only real advantage the Rams have. I have no idea what Bevell and Carroll were thinking and we may have a toxic relationship now between Lynch and Bevell. This season could blow up real fast if the Hawks are not careful..

Crizilla

Reaction score
Our receivers are fine. We need better tight end play. I wish we could get Gonzalez

tdlabrie

Reaction score
djb28":2ge0zse3 said:
I am just baffled as to why there was no help blocking? The one or two times I did see a TE in there to help they got blown by too.
The most damage from the Rams came from their defensive ends on the outside. This allowed a lot of sacks going around our tackles and tight ends; this also effectively stopped Russell from running away from pressure.

What baffles me is this: I always thought that Plan-A for pressure from the outside was running up the gut. With 8 men in the box, even with Lynch, this didn't work. So on to Plan-B, which I always thought was quick-strike passes to our slot receivers. But where were they? Baldwin is one of my favorite guys on the team, but was he even in the game? Did Zach play blocker every down? How about quick sideline passes when the Rams were playing back a ways?

Yes, we are a run-first team, but with our lousy run blocking and pass blocking, it's on Bevell to come up with something else and IMO he failed.