The Right side OL

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
The Right side OL
Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:43 pm
  • Just finished watching the cardinals game again. Was focusing on the right side of the line. The biggest problem I saw is the hand offs for stunts. Sweezy handed of a DT to no one and chased after a guy being pushed into the ground.

    Most of the pressure on passing plays were from TE or a man unaccounted for, LB's and safety comming off the edge. Sweezy was straight burned once and screwed up his assignment another time allowing a defender to come in untouched. He gave up some interior pressure twice.

    Bowie had two bad plays on protection, both lead to sacks. One was a fumble he recovered where he got just flat beat with speed from Abraham and the other was a good spin move. Other than that he did really well pass protecting.

    Dockette did a good job of avoiding the cut block all game. Bowie for the most part cut well, he had one slow looking cut, and one where he hesitated because Sweezy was engaged and pulling the tackle as he was going out to the second level.

    On other running plays they blew up the D-line, They did a great job of re-establishing the line of scrimmage a yard down field. The OLB gave Bowie a trouble when he was running away toward the sideline. He did well when he was sealing the edge.

    The cardinals did a good job bringing the olb on the roll outs forcing the early throw.

    Side note on the TD to Davis on 3rd and goal, Wilson missed him mighty early in the read, It looked like he was looking for a screen to left.

    Edited: Just saw Fieldgulls have some good gifs up to see the line play. http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2013/10/23/4865312/seahawks-russell-wilson-marshawn-lynch-golden-tate
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 819
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:06 am


Re: The Right side OL
Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:42 pm
  • Thanks for all of these detailed notes.

    Sweezey worries me. He is very athletic for his size but it seems like he makes so many mistakes being such a recent switch from D, he just doesn't seem like an NFL starter. Every so often I see him do something pretty spectacular like a second level block that few linemen would have the speed to get to so I get what they see in him but he makes mistakes and gets pushed around a lot, it just doesn't seem like he is ready. I suppose if the rest of the line were uninjured his deficiencies could be more easily masked.
    User avatar
    bluengreen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 803
    Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:19 pm


Re: The Right side OL
Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:03 pm
  • bluengreen wrote:Thanks for all of these detailed notes.

    Sweezey worries me. He is very athletic for his size but it seems like he makes so many mistakes being such a recent switch from D, he just doesn't seem like an NFL starter. Every so often I see him do something pretty spectacular like a second level block that few linemen would have the speed to get to so I get what they see in him but he makes mistakes and gets pushed around a lot, it just doesn't seem like he is ready. I suppose if the rest of the line were uninjured his deficiencies could be more easily masked.

    It ain't easy being Sweezy.
    HawkHack
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 270
    Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 9:28 pm


Re: The Right side OL
Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:50 am
  • HawkHack wrote:
    bluengreen wrote:Thanks for all of these detailed notes.

    I suppose if the rest of the line were uninjured his deficiencies could be more easily masked.

    It ain't easy being Sweezy.


    I think this is pretty much on the nose. The plan was for the more experienced guys to help him while he learns on the job. Instead we have had situations where Sweezy was the more experienced guy out there. I'm hoping that having Mike Rob back there will help with the DE's and OLB pick ups?
    User avatar
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1361
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am


Re: The Right side OL
Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:41 am
  • In other news...

    • There's still not timetable for the return of RT Breno Giacomini, who has missed the past four games. Carroll said Giacomini will need to practice for a couple of weeks before he's ready to return, and provided no timeline for when Giacomini would be back on the field.

    Also some Harvin news, or non-news.... :lol:

    http://mynorthwest.com/292/2379785/Seah ... rcy-Harvin
    Image
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22789
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS 2013-2014


Re: The Right side OL
Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:34 am
  • Everyone piles on Carp but Sweezy and McQuistan are just as bad if not worse. IMO, they are worse.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3531
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: The Right side OL
Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:04 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Everyone piles on Carp but Sweezy and McQuistan are just as bad if not worse. IMO, they are worse.


    agree especially McQuistan.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3924
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


Re: The Right side OL
Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:07 am
  • McQ is a good guard. He's just overmatched at tackle.

    Sweezy is learning and road-grades as a run-blocker. Carp wishes he was as good as a run-blocker. Sweezy actually makes it into the second level without having a heart attack.

    I'm not too worried about Giacomini being out. Bowie should probably have his job next year, and he's getting better every game.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3625
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: The Right side OL
Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:20 am
  • McQ still looks like an OG playing LT. Sweezy still looks like a DE playing RG. I'm not sure that's ever going to change. They are Cable-type guys, though, so I assume they'll be fixtures on the line even after we get healthier. I'm sort of giving up on the idea that this line will ever be significantly above average in pass protection. Cable is looking for very specific types to fill into his zone blocking scheme. All other attributes seem secondary.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3609
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: The Right side OL
Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:29 am
  • DavidSeven wrote:McQ still looks like an OG playing LT. Sweezy still looks like a DE playing RG. I'm not sure that's ever going to change. They are Cable-type guys, though, so I assume they'll be fixtures on the line even after we get healthier. I'm sort of giving up on the idea that this line will ever be significantly above average in pass protection. Cable is looking for very specific types to fill into his zone blocking scheme. All other attributes seem secondary.

    And because of this, in many people's opinion the offensive approach needs to be much more oriented towards quick passes, not 7 step drops to throw bombs downfield. I know this has been discussed a LOT here but the 7 step drops with a below avg. pass pro o-line makes little sense. Fortunately, we've seen it start to change and with the addition of Percy I think we'll see a lot more of the approach many of us think suits this team better. Won't hurt playing against teams with poorer defenses the rest of the schedule either.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

    Image
    User avatar
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10934
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: The Right side OL
Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:23 am
  • HawkHack wrote:
    bluengreen wrote:Thanks for all of these detailed notes.

    Sweezey worries me. He is very athletic for his size but it seems like he makes so many mistakes being such a recent switch from D, he just doesn't seem like an NFL starter. Every so often I see him do something pretty spectacular like a second level block that few linemen would have the speed to get to so I get what they see in him but he makes mistakes and gets pushed around a lot, it just doesn't seem like he is ready. I suppose if the rest of the line were uninjured his deficiencies could be more easily masked.

    It ain't easy being Sweezy.

    ha ha.
    SEAHAWKS SHOULD TRADE TERRELLE PRYOR TO RAMS
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/08/27/ ... -the-rams/
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    User avatar
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1320
    Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:32 am


Re: The Right side OL
Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:05 pm
  • Converted guard JR Sweezy has only 10 starts in his brief career as an offensive guard and only 769 lifetime snaps on the offensive side of the line of scrimage. Odds are that his best games are yet to come.

    Rookie tackle Michael Bowie who was also a little on the raw side when drafted has a grand total of 4 starts as a NFL tackle and only 295 snaps as an NFL lineman. Odds are his best games are in front of him as well.

    I like the look of the right side of the offensive line in spite of the limited experience. IMHO the future looks very promising.
    User avatar
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3382
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


Re: The Right side OL
Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:11 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Bowie should probably have his job next year, and he's getting better every game.

    Couldn't disagree more. Bowie had an awful game. Probably 2nd worse after Houston. It's going to take a lot of improvement to make me think it's his job next year.

    Breno is too expensive for what he brings. I'd rather draft a replacement and/or see if we can re-up Breno on more of a vet minimum. I think he's at $4.5 million right now....laughable contract IMO. Though, I love his attitude. Might be my favorite on the team.
    Colin Kaepernick wrote:I think our efficiency in the huddle was more of a factor than the crowd.
    User avatar
    C-Dub
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1129
    Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:06 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: The Right side OL
Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:44 pm
  • Paul McQuistan and Breno Giacomini were signed to two year team friendly base plus incentives contracts two years ago. Their current pay level reflects bonus they earned and claim during the 2012 season. Both are playing out their current contracts.

    If either resign for 2014, a similar base+incentives approach should prevail.
    User avatar
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3382
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


Re: The Right side OL
Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:50 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Everyone piles on Carp but Sweezy and McQuistan are just as bad if not worse. IMO, they are worse.


    Let's try playing fat boy at left tackle and see how he fairs.

    Thought so
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9358
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


Re: The Right side OL
Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:01 pm
  • C-Dub wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Bowie should probably have his job next year, and he's getting better every game.

    Couldn't disagree more. Bowie had an awful game. Probably 2nd worse after Houston. It's going to take a lot of improvement to make me think it's his job next year.


    Bowie gave up less pressures last week than in any week before. I do think he was the cause of a sack, but he played better by the eye test. PFF, while not grading him out of this world, seems to back me up, not that PFF is the be-all, end-all of player evaluation. We can just agree to disagree. I think Bowie is the future at RT.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3625
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: The Right side OL
Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:27 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    C-Dub wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Bowie should probably have his job next year, and he's getting better every game.

    Couldn't disagree more. Bowie had an awful game. Probably 2nd worse after Houston. It's going to take a lot of improvement to make me think it's his job next year.


    Bowie gave up less pressures last week than in any week before. I do think he was the cause of a sack, but he played better by the eye test. PFF, while not grading him out of this world, seems to back me up, not that PFF is the be-all, end-all of player evaluation. We can just agree to disagree. I think Bowie is the future at RT.


    He gave up two sacks one was a strip sack. He gave up a half pressure. This is the stunt where he followed the DE and pushed him long and Sweazey handed off the DT to space.

    Disagree quite a bit that he had a awful game. Besides the two sacks he was really solid. Really good push on DE DT has some trouble locating and locking onto LB's when they are flowing away from him.
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 819
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:06 am


Re: The Right side OL
Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:36 pm
  • I have been trying to watch them as close as I can and I think Bowie is improving every game. I see them all doing a good job in the run game, especially Sweezy. Outside of Jacksonville every team they have faced has been a upper tier front. AZ is aggressive in their rush and put a lot of pressure on the Line.

    They are only going to get better as they go and I expect it to show later in the season. Breno will get his job back and I think he is an underrated scrapper. In a few short weeks we can expect Okung back too. He will be ready. By the time these guys get back there is going to be a pretty solid rotation. By the time the playoffs arrive? They should be playing quite well.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5602
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


Re: The Right side OL
Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:33 am
  • Just wanted to add theese rushing stats per ESPN.

    BY PLAY DIRECTION ATT YDS YD/A LONG 20+ TD YDS/G FUM FUML 1DN
    Right Side 49 249 5.1 43 3 0 0.0 0 0 11
    Left Side 51 209 4.1 24 1 2 0.0 1 0 14
    Middle 63 316 5.0 25 2 4 0.0 1 1 15
    Left Sideline 26 108 4.2 20 1 1 0.0 0 0 5
    Right Sideline 34 213 6.3 23 1 0 0.0 0 0 13

    Well hell, it wont space it nicely

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/splits/_/name/sea/type/rushing/seattle-seahawks
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 819
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:06 am


Re: The Right side OL
Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:03 am
  • Just throwing this out there: With hindsight would anyone have kept John Moffitt or is this just swapping one potentially mediocre player for another?
    User avatar
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 753
    Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:08 pm


Re: The Right side OL
Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:49 am
  • Don't think Sweazy is medicore. He shows great cut blocking and gets out to the LB's well. He run block really well. I would say he is avg on pass protecting to below avg. He is getting better.
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 819
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:06 am


Re: The Right side OL
Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:54 am
  • Fudwamper wrote:Don't think Sweazy is medicore. He shows great cut blocking and gets out to the LB's well. He run block really well. I would say he is avg on pass protecting to below avg. He is getting better.


    I think being below avg in pass pro and a decent run blocker makes you mediocre. I don't think Sweezy is mediocre. I think he's horrible.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9189
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: The Right side OL
Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:37 am
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Fudwamper wrote:Don't think Sweazy is medicore. He shows great cut blocking and gets out to the LB's well. He run block really well. I would say he is avg on pass protecting to below avg. He is getting better.


    I think being below avg in pass pro and a decent run blocker makes you mediocre. I don't think Sweezy is mediocre. I think he's horrible.


    Then you have ZERO Offensive Line play knowledge. He is by far the best run blocker on the team and his pass protection is getting better every game.
    The Dirty Truth
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 125
    Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:26 pm


Re: The Right side OL
Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:05 am
  • I would disagree that he is an avg run blocker. I would cite the run stats from espn. Those numbers are pretty good looking for the right side.
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 819
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:06 am


Re: The Right side OL
Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:46 am
  • Sweezy is a 2nd year guy converted from DT. He's physically and athletically one of the most dominant offensive linemen in the NFL in my opinion, but his lack of experience shows. Bright side.... He has been getting better and better almost every game. I'm excited to see where he'll be at by the end of the regular season and I'm really excited to see what he'll look like by the start of next season... I think he'll be a Pro Bowler caliber at offensive guard next year.
    firebee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1229
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:43 pm
    Location: Florence, Oregon


Re: The Right side OL
Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:56 am
  • The Dirty Truth wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Fudwamper wrote:Don't think Sweazy is medicore. He shows great cut blocking and gets out to the LB's well. He run block really well. I would say he is avg on pass protecting to below avg. He is getting better.


    I think being below avg in pass pro and a decent run blocker makes you mediocre. I don't think Sweezy is mediocre. I think he's horrible.


    Then you have ZERO Offensive Line play knowledge. He is by far the best run blocker on the team and his pass protection is getting better every game.


    His pass pro is still bad and he still makes a lot of mental mistakes.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9189
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything




It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:07 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information