The Russell Okung time table

kearly

Reaction score
I heard this from Brock and Danny's Tuesday show, hopefully it's accurate:

-Okung is eligible to return to practice (presumably with a roster exemption similar to Harvin) the next day after Seattle's next game (Monday in St. Louis).

-Okung "has to miss another two games" according to Brock, though he said this right after mentioning the Monday night game, so I'm assuming the earliest Okung can return is week 11 at home against the Vikings.

-Mentions that Okung did not elect to have surgery, though he did seek a second opinion.

There is a lot we don't know, but in the next couple weeks we'll learn a lot more about how soon Russell Okung could be back when he returns to the team and tests out that toe.

In a best case scenario, he only misses 3 more games, and the only opponent during that stretch who's a real threat to beat Seattle (Atlanta at 10am) has not posted very good pass rush numbers this season.

Even if Okung is not back as soon as the Vikings game, we shouldn't need him to blow out Minnesota, and then we have a bye week before hosting the Saints. That Saints game is during week 13, which takes place on December 2nd. You have to admit, for all the grief the schedule makers gave us this season, they couldn't have timed that soft stretch any better in hindsight.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
There's a few breaks for us at the misfortune of other teams in the next few games. I'm pretty confident in our schedule.

Rams have lost Bradford for the season
Bucs have lost Martin for the season
Falcons lost Julio for the season, and White has missed last weeks game with an ankle injury and is questionable for the future(but will probably play against us)
Vikings on QB turmoil, Harrison Smith may sit out the season(currently on IR-recall), we took Harvin from them
We also get the Saints at home which is nice, but it'll be a tough game
Gotta play the 49ers at the stick which will be tough also
Giants are doing bad this year, Eli is throwing INT's like there's no tomorrow, but it's a 10AM game so we gotta continue the good play
Cards aren't that great, we can handle them at home
Rams again have Bradford out, and if we can take them at their house, no doubt in my mind we can take them at home.

Unfortunately, a lot of these also help the Niners.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I am hoping okung can come back. I think the Hawks think the same way or they would have went with surgery. The fact that it wasn't so cut and dry to have him just rest it concerns me.

There is no guarantee we get okung back at all this year.

This vexes me.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":8tct9b2b said:
I am hoping okung can come back. I think the Hawks think the same way or they would have went with surgery. The fact that it wasn't so cut and dry to have him just rest it concerns me.

This vexes me.

You are experiencing vexation due to this podiatric situation.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2r99olra said:
Tech Worlds":2r99olra said:

This vexes me.

I will accept your diagnosis as you are an adept diagnoser.

kidhawk

Reaction score
kearly":10zzzogr said:

-Okung is eligible to return to practice (presumably with a roster exemption similar to Harvin) the next day after Seattle's next game (Monday in St. Louis).

-Okung "has to miss another two games" according to Brock, though he said this right after mentioning the Monday night game, so I'm assuming the earliest Okung can return is week 11 at home against the Vikings.

-Mentions that Okung did not elect to have surgery, though he did seek a second opinion.

There is a lot we don't know, but in the next couple weeks we'll learn a lot more about how soon Russell Okung could be back when he returns to the team and tests out that toe.

In a best case scenario, he only misses 3 more games, and the only opponent during that stretch who's a real threat to beat Seattle (Atlanta at 10am) has not posted very good pass rush numbers this season.

Even if Okung is not back as soon as the Vikings game, we shouldn't need him to blow out Minnesota, and then we have a bye week before hosting the Saints. That Saints game is during week 13, which takes place on December 2nd. You have to admit, for all the grief the schedule makers gave us this season, they couldn't have timed that soft stretch any better in hindsight.

In regards to the bold enlarged text, you are absolutely correct. He cannot play before week 11 due to the IR designated to return rules he was placed under. When he comes back to practice is where the question mark lies and will totally depend on where he is in his recovery.

I really am not pleased with our offense as a whole so far this season, but my disappointment is balanced by hope, knowing we have been so decimated by injury that the ability to get a solid rhythm has been impdeded by this. I sincerely hope we can get all our guys healthy to play the final month of the season and get that playoff upswing going right in time. I am also thankful that even though our offense has played ugly this year, we've found a way to be 6-1. It really is an astounding fete.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If he had gotten the operation then he would have been automatically out for the year?

Is there a possibility the problem could continue this year without him having fixed it?

Some of my optimism about his return is becoming concern. What does this mean for his contribution once he returns?

RiverDog

Reaction score
There's a lot of stars that have been lining up for us this season. We will have 5 teams, 6 games on our 16 game schedule, with starting quarterbacks either injured or benched prior to playing against us:

Jacksonville (Gabbert), Tennessee (Locker), 2 games vs. St. Louis (Bradford), Minnesota (Ponder), and Tampa Bay (Freeman), not to mention Eli Manning and Matt Schuab's implosions.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
kearly":1yacnl7o said:

Pete Carroll also talked about this yesterday:

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seah...ys-of-practice-and-wed-see-how-he-handles-it/

(On Russell Okung’s status…) “Well Russell [Okung] has got a process here of four weeks that he’s got to get through from, I think it’s two weeks now, and then he will have a chance after those two weeks to practice with us and then after that, which is still four weeks from now, he’ll have a chance to return. So he’s doing really well. He’s working out; he’s doing the rehab stuff that they can do. Can’t get out on the practice field for a bit yet but, we’re really encouraged that eh will make it back after that time. Still seems like it’s a really long time. But, we’ll be happy to get him back when we can get him.”

(On Okung being ready to practice in the next two weeks…) “I think that’s the case. I think that’s the case. I didn’t know what the status was when it first happened. If you can recall, I had no idea what it was called. The details had escaped me as well.”

JonRud

Reaction score
I honestly think Okung returning healthy could be the key to us winning the SB or not. I just can't see us making it through a difficult playoff run w/ McQuistan at LT...eventually all those sacks & QB fumbles will kill us in a big game.

Unless Bailey is given a shot and surprises at some point, it is absolutely VITAL that Okung gets back healthy by December.

Sure Harvin, Giaco, Real Rob Report & Wagner will be great additions when they get back, but nobody is a bigger, more critical return than Okung.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
To me, it was difficult to determine whether Pete was talking specifically about when Okung would physically be able to return versus when he would be eligible to return under league IR rules. Seems like it would be awfully fortuitous if Okung's physical recovery aligned perfectly with the IR schedule. I really hope that's the case, but I don't know if it's realistic. I agree that his availability for the final stretch and playoffs could be the deciding factor for how far the team goes.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
As for the schedule looking good now, thank the front office for having the scouting to limit the impact of all the injuries we have had.

Missing the LT, RT, etc. Still nearly undefeated after 7 games. Can't wait for Okung and Harvin to be out there.

OrFan

Reaction score
For me personally, it is not whether we can win games or not without him in there. I just hope Wilson doesn't get too beat up in the time we have left before his return.

Ozzy

Reaction score
We can definintely win a Super Bowl without Okung but it makes task much harder in my opinion. I think we are a little lucky with how the schedule turned out and can afford to not have him right now and for the next few weeks. I am worried about it though come playoff time. Praying he makes it back

seahawksny

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2cag2vg4 said:
There's a few breaks for us at the misfortune of other teams in the next few games. I'm pretty confident in our schedule.

Rams have lost Bradford for the season
Bucs have lost Martin for the season
Falcons lost Julio for the season, and White has missed last weeks game with an ankle injury and is questionable for the future(but will probably play against us)
Vikings on QB turmoil, Harrison Smith may sit out the season(currently on IR-recall), we took Harvin from them
We also get the Saints at home which is nice, but it'll be a tough game
Gotta play the 49ers at the stick which will be tough also
Giants are doing bad this year, Eli is throwing INT's like there's no tomorrow, but it's a 10AM game so we gotta continue the good play
Cards aren't that great, we can handle them at home

Rams again have Bradford out, and if we can take them at their house, no doubt in my mind we can take them at home.

Unfortunately, a lot of these also help the Niners.

just gotta pray for no more injuries. Last thing we need is to ne up 28--0 on TB or NYG and Carroll leaves RW Lynch in game. RW was in Jacksonville game too long

Largent80

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1f1uskiy said:
Tech Worlds":1f1uskiy said:

This vexes me.

I thought you were a gynocologist. :229031_confused2: