12 Man Flag Raiser Suggestion

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I commented on this in another thread, but decided to make this its own topic as I'm afraid the idea will just get buried. In the 1976 Chapter One thread, someone threw the name of Mike Curtis out there as someone to raise the 12th Man Flag. Though I agree with that one ... I've got another name and one that I believe should have been done long ago -- Pete Gross -- the original voice of the Seahawks.

Pete (of course) died of cancer back in 1992, so I was wondering, "What about his widow or maybe even one of his daughters (he had 3) to raise the 12th Man Flag?"

In looking over the list of past 12th Man Flag Raisers, there have been several who have early Seahawks who have been given that honor. However, Pete Gross (obviously a representative from Gross in this case) has yet to do it. Heck, Dave Niehuis (the legendary voice of the Mariners) was given that honor (and rightfully so) ... Warren Moon and Steve Raible (the Seahawks current broadcasters) have been given that honor as well ... so why not do so for the original voice of the Seahawks as well?

I honestly feel that this is a pretty big oversight and wonder -- is there a way to contact someone over at the Seahawks and somehow make that actually happen?

JonRud

Reaction score
I want Holmgren for the NFC Championship game this year. that will get the crowd nuts.

Sac

Reaction score
I want Hasselbeck for the NFCCG, if the Colts are out of the playoffs at that point.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
It would be awesome to see Coug and Spokane native Steve Gleason do it with his family. Not a Seahawk but a true inspiration

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Good suggestions all ... again, I'd personally like to see a representative of Pete Gross do it (and honor him in that way), as it just seems like such an oversight to NOT have done that already. I mean, they honored Steve Raible and Warren Moon (the current broadcasters) BEFORE Pete Gross? Come on man.

Anyhoo ...

For those who are interested, here are the list of past Seahawk 12th Man Flag Raisers (courtesy of Seahawks.com). It's really cool because they've got video clips on there and you can watch previous flag raisers do their thing. I've been watching them all morning long -- they're extremely well done and very addictive actually. Seriously awesome stuff if you've never checked them out.

Link:
http://www.seahawks.com/12th-Man/flag-raisers.html

The Radish

Reaction score
JonRud":2o5voawj said:
I want Holmgren for the NFC Championship game this year. that will get the crowd nuts.

I like this idea but don't think the crowd will need anything else but that game to be nuts.

:th2thumbs:

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
The Radish":3kvmagiu said:
JonRud":3kvmagiu said:

I like this idea but don't think the crowd will need anything else but that game to be nuts.

I agree, Mike Holmgren WOULD be a very good one for that game -- and I agree with Radish -- the 12th Man doesn't need any added motivation; they'll already be bananas. Kathy Holmgren raised it back in 2008, so I dunno if they would actually do that. Great idea though.

warden":3kvmagiu said:
Jim Zorn for the NFC championship game

Jim Zorn is a great idea. I don't know about for that particular game, but I'd like him to do it sometime for sure.

nIdahoSeahawk":3kvmagiu said:
Paul Allen for NFCC. Should be a tradition

Interesting suggestion ... though no one's done it twice before. I don't know WHO they'd get for that game.

Steve2222

Reaction score
NFCCG would be cool to see a collection of the 2005 team. SA37, Strong, DJAX, Walt, Tobeck, Lofa, Tru, Rocky Bernard.

Speaking of DJAX, he needs to be a flag raiser by himself one of these games. One of my all time favorite Hawks.

Sac

Reaction score
Steve2222":fm001s5m said:
SacHawk2.0":fm001s5m said:
If I can make it to the SF game, I'll plant one at Candle Stick.

You're a very brave person.

I've already trolled their training camp. Planting a flag shouldn't be a big deal.

warden

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1dqa9r3b said:
The Radish":1dqa9r3b said:
JonRud":1dqa9r3b said:

I agree, Mike Holmgren WOULD be a very good one for that game -- and I agree with Radish -- the 12th Man doesn't need any added motivation; they'll already be bananas. Kathy Holmgren raised it back in 2008, so I dunno if they would actually do that. Great idea though.

warden":1dqa9r3b said:
Jim Zorn for the NFC championship game

Jim Zorn is a great idea. I don't know about for that particular game, but I'd like him to do it sometime for sure.

nIdahoSeahawk":1dqa9r3b said:
Paul Allen for NFCC. Should be a tradition

Interesting suggestion ... though no one's done it twice before. I don't know WHO they'd get for that game.

Lots have done it twice

Cortez and Walter Jones have both done it twice Warren Moon did it once solo and once with Raible, a lot of the members of the ring of honor have done it twice , once as a solo acy and the other in a group setting

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
warden":2kq59gsc said:
Lots have done it twice

Cortez and Walter Jones have both done it twice Warren Moon did it once solo and once with Raible, a lot of the members of the ring of honor have done it twice , once as a solo acy and the other in a group setting

Huh. In looking over that list again, I most certainly stand corrected on that.

The suggestions that have been thrown our there by others are good ones for sure ... but I'm going to continue to bang the drum for a Pete Gross representative to do it during some regular season home game sometime. Alright, I'll get down off my soap box on that for now. :tongue:

sc85sis

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3gbcxv0g said:
warden":3gbcxv0g said:
Lots have done it twice

Huh. In looking over that list again, I most certainly stand corrected on that.

The suggestions that have been thrown our there by others are good ones for sure ... but I'm going to continue to bang the drum for a Pete Gross representative to do it during some regular season home game sometime. Alright, I'll get down off my soap box on that for now. :tongue:
I like your idea. Email or Tweet the Seahawks.

cover-2

Reaction score
Former Seahawks: Lofa, Holmgren, and Hasslebeck.

Non-Seahawks, but that are still Seattle athletes:
Mariners pitcher Felix Hernandez - I wouldn't normally suggest a non-football player, but Hernandez is a different breed. He has been brought up through the Mariner organization, so he could be considered a home grown talent. He is an elite player, who so far has been loyal even though the team has been horrible. Highly likeable, standup player, with a huge personality. I could have sworn he has raised the 12th Man Flag before but I didn't see him on the list of previous flag raisers.

Current Seattle Sounder Female team (soccer) Hope Solo - Solo is from the Seattle area, she was one of the top female goal keepers, she is married to former Seahawks TE Jerramy Stevens, and she is hot.

solo_hope.JPG
HidH4932917126236992w216h186c7rs1pid1HopeSolo