Carpenter vs A. Bailey and more OL questions

ShaunPope

Reaction score
It seems like Carpenter struggles more often than he doesn't and being that the coaches seem to really like Alvin Bailey almost as much as Bowie, why hasn't Bailey been given a shot to play LG? Is Bailey strictly a tackle? Or is it just as simple as being without 3 starters already, they didn't want to stick Bailey into the fire even though he could be more talented than Carpenter? once we get our starters back on the OL, is it possible we could see Bailey getting practice time as the 2nd string LG? Or, if Bowie keeps impressing at RT, what happens when Breno comes back? Keep Bowie at RT and move Breno to LG? Vice versa? Is McQuistan without question the best LG on this team? Seems like there could be a lot of possible moves on the OL the next few weeks.

Axx

Reaction score
because James carpenter has all that hidden potential locked away. Don't worry if you're patient enough you might one day see it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
ShaunPope":3et5tj7w said:
It seems like Carpenter struggles more often than he doesn't and being that the coaches seem to really like Alvin Bailey almost as much as Bowie, why hasn't Bailey been given a shot to play LG? Is Bailey strictly a tackle? Or is it just as simple as being without 3 starters already, they didn't want to stick Bailey into the fire even though he could be more talented than Carpenter? once we get our starters back on the OL, is it possible we could see Bailey getting practice time as the 2nd string LG? Or, if Bowie keeps impressing at RT, what happens when Breno comes back? Keep Bowie at RT and move Breno to LG? Vice versa? Is McQuistan without question the best LG on this team? Seems like there could be a lot of possible moves on the OL the next few weeks.

Carpenter has looked good in spots. He's a very good run blocker at the point of attack but he's not quick enough to get out on linebackers. There's no doubt that he's struggling.

I think you answered your own question when you indicated that we were (until last Sunday) without 3 starters...actually 4 if you count McQ playing out of position. At this point, they need stability, and Carpenter gives them that. I suspect that once Okung comes back, they'll start platooning McQ and Carpenter at LG.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
I agree, Carpenter just isn't cutt'n it. I think he should sit untill he understands, ya don't wander around with no goal in mind on the playing field! Block/Hit somebody. Isn't that what your suppose to do untill the whistle?
Bailey is hungry, I'm sure, take all that enthusiasm and let see what he does for a quarter. The Razorback is pretty good but, ya gotta give him some reps. I think he should get to play the second quarter and if we see something possitive play him a good share of the second half.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Carp struggles, but he also flashes. I wouldn't be shocked if Bailey was tried out in that spot for a practice or two, but it just didn't get out. You gotta trust the coaches with the decisions they make sometimes. Consistency is very important to an O-Line's success. Had we lost more than one game this year, you might have seen some changes made. Coaching decisions have allowed us to be 5-1, so they're going to stick with what gets the job done.

RT will be interesting when Breno is healthy enough to play, but wouldn't assume that it means Breno goes to guard. You don't just put your 5 best lineman out there and call it an o-line without looking at fits at Tackle, Center and Guard.

firebee

Reaction score
Carpenter is physically a very gifted lineman. Extremely powerful, explosive and capable of winning most of the battles he engages in... WHEN he engages. Problem is... He seems to consistently miss blocks, which means he doesn't engage as often as he should. He's explosive and quick out of his stance, but it seems he just becomes a waste of space after the play gets past the LOS. NO MOTOR. He doesn't hit anybody at the second level and often misses blocks on the pull or the cross. I'm beyond disappointed with Carpenter at this point. Definitely going down as a bust in my book, unless he makes some kind of miraculous turn around and starts cleaning clocks consistently off the snap and through the 2nd level.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I keep hearing that only "lazy" posters bag on Carpenter and they only do so because it is "safe" and "easy"
But reading all of the above seems rational to me. And fair.

I'm glad the kid has stayed healthy this year, and hope he continues to improve. Consistency and rhythm will come with familiarity and have to count for something in the interior 3, with both our starting tackles missing so many games.

plyka

Reaction score
Let's face it --Carp is too fat to be an above average LG. It's obvious when he has his chubby hands on his knees, running out of breath. The guy needs to get in shape! Eat less of that fried rice, fried french fries, fried donut, fried chicken and anything else breaded and fried and get on a vegatble diet. Seriously, with all the exercise he gets you know the dude slams down 6k calories per day. He needs to lose that belly, which will automatically increase his endurance, speed/quickness as well as strength if we assume he replaces a % of that tub with muscle.

The fact that he has been in the league as long as he has, and he is as out of shape as he is, tells me he simply does not care. He doesn't want to be the best he can be, he wants to get that check and eat, in more ways than one.

King Dog

Reaction score
plyka":3d2dpuuj said:
Let's face it --Carp is too fat to be an above average LG. It's obvious when he has his chubby hands on his knees, running out of breath. The guy needs to get in shape! Eat less of that fried rice, fried french fries, fried donut, fried chicken and anything else breaded and fried and get on a vegatble diet. Seriously, with all the exercise he gets you know the dude slams down 6k calories per day. He needs to lose that belly, which will automatically increase his endurance, speed/quickness as well as strength if we assume he replaces a % of that tub with muscle.

The fact that he has been in the league as long as he has, and he is as out of shape as he is, tells me he simply does not care. He doesn't want to be the best he can be, he wants to get that check and eat, in more ways than one.

I bet you wouldn't talk like that to his face. lol

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
King Dog":mycm5wnd said:
plyka":mycm5wnd said:

Agreed. Carpenter is the strongest guy on the team and you don't get that from a 6'5 200 pounder. He was brought in here to be the road grader he is. And if you look closely at the game footage he is getting better all the time.

McGruff

Reaction score
Carps biggest problem is that he's so massive that when he screws up, it's really stands out.

I give him a little leeway right now for being forced to played beside McQuistan.

But Bowie is becoming a revelation. Breno is good as gone.

Largent80

Reaction score
If the coaches think Bailey would be an upgrade don't you think he would be in there?

He more than likely is not better than Carp at this point and can we afford putting 2 rookies on the line?

McGruff

Reaction score
Largent80":3jitiwbu said:
If the coaches think Bailey would be an upgrade don't you think he would be in there?

He more than likely is not better than Carp at this point and can we afford putting 2 rookies on the line?

I think the coaches see Bailey as a LT, and that's why you don't see them messing with him.

drdiags

Reaction score
Carpenter is the type that is dominant in a phone booth. If you have him is space or at RT, he is in trouble. Not sure what the state of his legs are from past injuries but he can move people. I look forward to him finishing a season without having to sit due to injury. Will conditioning help him with the spatial issues? No clue.

Saw a play where he took two DL and pushed them both out the hole, one on each arm.

kigenzun

Reaction score
BIG GAME JAMES!

What's not to like?
Both the go-ahead touchdown (on a critical 4th down after 3 tries elsewhere, mind you...)
and the game winning touchdown...
are running Marshawn right behind Big Game James into the end zone.

I get the feeling Marshawn trusts him, so I will place trust in, and root for him, too...

HE'S HEALTHY & HE'S IMPROVING!

Go Big Game James!
Go Hawks!
:th2thumbs:

plyka

Reaction score
King Dog":306zzo2c said:
plyka":306zzo2c said:

Oh hell no i wouldn't...you crazy mofo, don't you know the biggest benefit of the Internet is anonymity?

RiverDog

Reaction score
Largent80":vuaoe246 said:

That's what I said when McQ was playing ahead of Carpenter before Okung went down.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Y'know. I'm going to make a point of focusing exclusively on Carp tomorrow against some quality opposition and see what I see.

I'm sure you will all be monitoring this situation closely.

drdiags

Reaction score
bestfightstory":14pftego said:
Y'know. I'm going to make a point of focusing exclusively on Carp tomorrow against some quality opposition and see what I see.

I'm sure you will all be monitoring this situation closely.

He sometimes remind me of my son when I was helping to coach him with Rainier's 89ers (6-10 year olds). He was 7 at the time and they made him a RG. He would fire out on his guy and get a good push, then he would just stand up and look around while the action was still going on. Drove me nuts and the other coaches as well, though they never took him out as a starter. I kept hoping some kid would earhole him so he would lose that habit.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
^I have definitely seen the stand upright and look around from Carpenter. Weird. That is usually coached out of football players by 11th grade.