How many plays before V Davis is neutralized?

HansGruber

Reaction score
One of the more intriguing matchups on Sunday night has got to be Vernon Davis against the Legion of Boom. Do I even need to spell out why? (If so, see video link at end of post)

So how do you think Davis will do against the Seahawks? How many plays will it take before the Legion of Boom gets in his head and he gets scared? Will he play like Witten and Hernandez last year, when the LOB spooked them out of the game completely?

Or will he dominate and win those matchups? Will we all be upset about how many catches and yards he put up against us?

What say ye?

[youtube]VIUMlwP3bDk[/youtube]

Laloosh

Reaction score
Might get in his head (doubt it) but I think he plays all game and actually makes some plays. He is the most dangerous person they have catching passes right now.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
That was gorgeous. To be honest, I think Davis is already spooked. He's a hell of a player, but he's never been rocked like that before and he knows Chancellor is just waiting to lay another hunk of legal wood on him like that again.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Davis will have a good game if we can contain Boldin. Without BB I think Boldin well get the best of maxwell and WT3

C-Dub

Reaction score
Davis is scary good. He's a matchup nightmare for this team (for any team really). As for Boldin, he's a joke. He's below average, but don't tell 9ers fans that yet.

My guess is Davis will get around 70 or 80 yards unless he can break away. I doubt VD will even think about Chancellor's hit when he goes deep for a pass.

NorCal

Reaction score
I don't think Davis got scared or spooked last year. He got concussed I think. He looked a little cross-eyed when he got up from that hit (a legit hit; I'm not saying otherwise). maybe he will not jump to catch a pass this week. But in truth he still jumps to catch them.

drdiags

Reaction score
TEs have given the Seahawks fits. The opener against the Panthers shows that they can still be had even with those 2 Olson drops.

Seemed to me that Walker was the one who did a lot of damage. Davis will get his but have the 9ers found McDonald to be a good replacement for Walker is a question I have in my mind? We fans want this game to be like the one in Dec, the rival fans want it to be like week 7 or the blow-outs from Matt's last year or TJack's first game.

I hope this coming game has as many enjoyable memories as the last one. 2 more days. Bring the Pain Seahawks.

OP
OP
HansGruber

HansGruber

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1dj0ropj said:
Davis will have a good game if we can contain Boldin. Without BB I think Boldin well get the best of maxwell and WT3

I thought Lane was higher on the depth chart than Maxwell, did that change?

In any case, I'm okay with any of them on Boldin. They're all better in coverage than anyone in GB's terrible secondary.

Seems like Sherman would be covering Boldin, though, since he's been playing on the left.

NorCal

Reaction score
HansGruber":1qfv3oh2 said:
Wenhawk":1qfv3oh2 said:

I thought Lane was higher on the depth chart than Maxwell, did that change?

In any case, I'm okay with any of them on Boldin. They're all better in coverage than anyone in GB's terrible secondary.

Seems like Sherman would be covering Boldin, though, since he's been playing on the left.

They move Boldin all over.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/13/anquan-bo ... -seahawks/

Marvin49

Reaction score
Its funny to me that Vernon has played the Seahawks so many times and you guys all think that ONE hit is somehow going to intimdate Vernon.

Clearly...you don't know him very well.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Vernon will get his catches and his yards, and it's almost a sure thing he will be open at least once on a deep corner. I don't think I've seen a 49er game where he didn't get lost in coverage behind a CB and was completely uncovered. He's too good to not show up for a few big plays no matter what defense is playing.

OP
OP
HansGruber

HansGruber

Reaction score
Marvin49":xqu79bhn said:
Its funny to me that Vernon has played the Seahawks so many times and you guys all think that ONE hit is somehow going to intimdate Vernon.

Clearly...you don't know him very well.

I hope he isn't intimidated, because I wanna see more of those sweet hits when Kaepernick hangs him out there for us. Last time, he got hurt and had to go nighty-night. Which was no fun. I wanna see the Legion of Boom do their thing and Davis is their favorite target.

The best thing about this game is the niners buy their own hype, think they're going to come in here and show us something like we're Green Bay.

I'll tell you this: you throw on us the way you threw against Green Bay, and you won't leave Seattle with enough receivers healthy to play next week. So leave that fake swagger for cream puff teams like the packers.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
He'll get his yards and a TD perhaps but by no means will he have a career day Sunday. 65-90 yards perhaps. Anybody who thinks the Legion isn't going to be in his head just a little bit come Sunday night is just plain silly.

chris98251

Reaction score
The difference is that they are using him as a WR at times also, please run a crossing pattern Vernon :)

CANHawk

Reaction score
I'm thinking now that the concussion case is behind the NFL, that they might not be so quick to throw the flag on hits like that now. I think the VD hit and the Sean Lee hit might have stood a chance of being legal this year. Hopefully Bam Bam can lay the lumber on VD again and make him feel the fear...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
chris98251":3njavr8i said:
The difference is that they are using him as a WR at times also, please run a crossing pattern Vernon :)

Media fallacy. It started with Grant Cohen being his typical idiotic self, and somehow ended up getting picked up in the national press. He lined up a bit at WR last year. Most likely he'll do the same this year. It's not a new thing or a regular thing.

hawk45

Reaction score
Vernon will certainly remember what happened last year but I don't know that it will impact his performance much. Guys get hit in the NFL.

I hope we do, but sort of doubt we neutralize VD, we haven't done it much in the past. If it's like Aros says and 70 yards and a TD I'll be ecstatic. I'd take 120 and a TD as long as we don't let anybody else (Boldin) get off.

Boldin seeing WTIII and Maxwell/Lane...I'm not fine with that. If they do shut him down then I'll breathe a sigh of relief and acknowledge that Green Bay has the worst secondary in the world. But at this moment we just don't know.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It isn't happening.

Davis was a beast at Maryland and it took a while for the light to go on for him in the NFL but it did.

He is a TE that is built like linebacker but can catch like a WR. In fact, I believe that one of the adjustments that SF was going to make for the temporary loss of Crabtree was to use him like a WR.

Maybe with Browner, Kam, Earl and Sherman together we could have shut him down but it ridiculous to assume that just because the guy is wearing a Seahawk decal on his helmet he suddenly gets all the powers of the position. Lane, Maxwell or WT3 are not equivalent to the guy we have out.

There is no way we should reasonably expect that the loss of our corner is not going to put pressure on our safeties when the loss of our pass rush (due to the loss of our DEs already) is already going to put pressure on our secondary.

Davis will get his, because that is what he does. Just as Boldin will probably too.

Hopefully our offense can match them because our defense is playing on one leg right now.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I expect Boldin and Davis both to get plenty of catches. In fact, I am counting on it because I drafted both for FF.

Davis got rocked last year, but he will still be their most dangerous receiver in this matchup. Boldin won't be anything close to what he was in week one, but Davis is always trouble.

I am more than willing to take a fantasy loss in lieu of a Seahawks win. If they have a great game against the Hawks, I am going to get something out of it.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
TwistedHusky":35fykh4f said:
It isn't happening.

Davis was a beast at Maryland and it took a while for the light to go on for him in the NFL but it did.

He is a TE that is built like linebacker but can catch like a WR. In fact, I believe that one of the adjustments that SF was going to make for the temporary loss of Crabtree was to use him like a WR.

Maybe with Browner, Kam, Earl and Sherman together we could have shut him down but it ridiculous to assume that just because the guy is wearing a Seahawk decal on his helmet he suddenly gets all the powers of the position. Lane, Maxwell or WT3 are not equivalent to the guy we have out.

There is no way we should reasonably expect that the loss of our corner is not going to put pressure on our safeties when the loss of our pass rush (due to the loss of our DEs already) is already going to put pressure on our secondary.

Davis will get his, because that is what he does. Just as Boldin will probably too.

Hopefully our offense can match them because our defense is playing on one leg right now.

Why is it every time I come across a post from you I think you're a 49ers fan in disguise? :327321_Spy_23.22: