How do the Seahawks "incentivize" PS players to stay?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I know we have some great CBA minds on this board, so maybe they can pitch in.

    I've always found it "odd" the Seahawks never have their PS rotation backfire on them. With Bradford, there's NO reason a team like the Giants, New Orleans, Atlanta, to name a few DONT make a play for him. He'd conceivably be an instant upgrade to their backups, and may be good enough to start on a few teams, IMO. So, what's stopping them?

    Are the Seahawks allowed to offer additional incentives for these players to stay? I know facilities and "perks" aren't under the CBA. Its probably similar to working in corporate America. I stayed employed by Mr Ballmer a lot longer because of the benefits. Is it similar?

    It just strikes me odd...and you know..."Pete the Cheat...."
    @ryanadamdavis
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 11484
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • Hey X why don't you use those weights over there

    hey Coach I found an envelope with a bunch of money in it

    WOW lucky you well enjoy.......
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3729
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • You mean like the incentive for playing for one of the best coaches, the best GM's, and the best owners in the National Football League?
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    User avatar
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 5018
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


Re: How do the Seahawks
Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:19 am
  • sc85sis wrote:You mean like the incentive for playing for one of the best coaches, the best GM's, and the best owners in the National Football League?


    That does have a HUGE value. And, I hope you know with the Pete the Cheat comment.

    But, at some point, a guaranteed salary and more for your children even trumps working for Pete. It's a tad naïve to ignore that.
    @ryanadamdavis
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 11484
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • The realistic possibility of a Ring in their future probably doesn't hurt.
    Last edited by pmedic920 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 5944
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


  • I wonder if they continue to pay these guys at the rate they were being paid at when they were on the PS if the player agrees to be 'on hold'. As far. As Bradford is concerned isn't his salary guaranteed after he played the 1st game or does he not have vest veteran status yet? I don't know the answers to either question but if JS keeps rolling the PS over and bringing players back the the effective size of the PS is increased in direct proportion to the number of changes made with players who are experienced in the team's system.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken. The OLine still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1963
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


  • As I recall practice squad contracts can be negotiated, meaning you could outbid someone to stay on your practice squad.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1516
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


  • I'm not sure I follow. If another team thought any of our PS players were worth a roster spot, then they would offer them a contract, and I'm sure 9 times out of 10, the PS player would accept (regardless of how much they love our Seahawks -- a job is a job). No one on our current PS has been deemed a "final 53" level player by the rest of the league, and that's the only reason they're still available for our practice squad.

    If another team wants Bradford, they will put a waiver claim on him. There will be no opportunity for Seattle to "incentivize" him to stay. If he actually makes the PS, then there's also no reason to "incentivize" him, because that means no one else wants him.

    And finally, you can't poach another team's practice squad player to put them on your own practice squad. They have to be given a roster spot and paid for at least a few weeks.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4083
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


  • DavidSeven wrote:I'm not sure I follow. If another team thought any of our PS players were worth a roster spot, then they would offer them a contract, and I'm sure 9 times out of 10, the PS player would accept (regardless of how much they love our Seahawks -- a job is a job). No one on our current PS has been deemed a "final 53" level player by the rest of the league, and that's the only reason they're still available for our practice squad.

    If another team wants Bradford, they will put a waiver claim on him. There will be no opportunity for Seattle to "incentivize" him to stay. If he actually makes the PS, then there's also no reason to "incentivize" him, because that means no one else wants him.

    And finally, you can't poach another team's practice squad player to put them on your own practice squad. They have to be given a roster spot and paid for at least a few weeks.



    What this man said is correct.

    Bradford wont make it past the 9ers. Harbough is such a douche, he'll grab him just to get intel.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    User avatar
    Cartire
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3429
    Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am


  • DavidSeven wrote:I'm not sure I follow. If another team thought any of our PS players were worth a roster spot, then they would offer them a contract, and I'm sure 9 times out of 10, the PS player would accept (regardless of how much they love our Seahawks -- a job is a job). No one on our current PS has been deemed a "final 53" level player by the rest of the league, and that's the only reason they're still available for our practice squad.

    If another team wants Bradford, they will put a waiver claim on him. There will be no opportunity for Seattle to "incentivize" him to stay. If he actually makes the PS, then there's also no reason to "incentivize" him, because that means no one else wants him.

    And finally, you can't poach another team's practice squad player to put them on your own practice squad. They have to be given a roster spot and paid for at least a few weeks.


    I disagree. I think there's something else that makes other teams not even bother with Seahawks PS types. Yeah, I get it, Bradford isn't "technically" a 53-man roster type. But, that's here.
    @ryanadamdavis
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 11484
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • pehawk wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:I'm not sure I follow. If another team thought any of our PS players were worth a roster spot, then they would offer them a contract, and I'm sure 9 times out of 10, the PS player would accept (regardless of how much they love our Seahawks -- a job is a job). No one on our current PS has been deemed a "final 53" level player by the rest of the league, and that's the only reason they're still available for our practice squad.

    If another team wants Bradford, they will put a waiver claim on him. There will be no opportunity for Seattle to "incentivize" him to stay. If he actually makes the PS, then there's also no reason to "incentivize" him, because that means no one else wants him.

    And finally, you can't poach another team's practice squad player to put them on your own practice squad. They have to be given a roster spot and paid for at least a few weeks.


    I disagree. I think there's something else that makes other teams not even bother with Seahawks PS types. Yeah, I get it, Bradford isn't "technically" a 53-man roster type. But, that's here.


    What? A ton of our cuts were claimed this off-season (e.g. Guy, McGrath, Howard, etc.). The guys that cleared waivers aren't that good. Our most promising PS player was signed by the 49ers (Harper). Bradford will probably get claimed, too. Who else is worth going after?
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4083
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


  • Not sure how they do it, but if I were such a player, rotating me off and on the PS wouldn't give me any incentive for hanging around. It works for them but not how I would want to make the team. Different perspective than the guy who has made it his career and wants any and all chances to flourish in the league.
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9423
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


  • Well, there's also Free Agents coming here on shorter, less guaranteed monies than their market value. I understand that; culture, winning, Wilson, fair dealings (from GM) and Pete all contribute to that. But the Seahawks aren't the first team ever to offer such things, but I'd wager they've made the most out of it.

    Maybe my skepticism is clouding my judgment on this...but it just seems there has to be a bit more to it.

    And Seven, again, I laid out a specific "real world" scenario most of us face at one point in our lives. I stayed somewhere longer because of additional perks offered. I'm not alone in that.
    @ryanadamdavis
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 11484
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • Popeyejones wrote:As I recall practice squad contracts can be negotiated, meaning you could outbid someone to stay on your practice squad.


    This.

    The Seahawks routinely pay guys extra to be on their PS and often will give a guy a signing bonus i.e. if he goes off, and then gets signed again to the PS, they might very well give him $5k or $10k for the trouble i.e. he's basically being compensated for the time he wasn't on the PS.

    PS salaries don't count against the cap, and while there are minimums mandated by the CBA, I think technically there's no maximum...
    User avatar
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 907
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:12 pm


  • BocciHawk wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:As I recall practice squad contracts can be negotiated, meaning you could outbid someone to stay on your practice squad.


    This.

    The Seahawks routinely pay guys extra to be on their PS and often will give a guy a signing bonus i.e. if he goes off, and then gets signed again to the PS, they might very well give him $5k or $10k for the trouble i.e. he's basically being compensated for the time he wasn't on the PS.

    PS salaries don't count against the cap, and while there are minimums mandated by the CBA, I think technically there's no maximum...


    I believe you are incorrect. PS salaries are even for all teams at basically $5700/week. Since the rook minimum is over twice that, it is easy to see why a PS player would sign with another team. Guaranteed 5 weeks of more than double salary.
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2597
    Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:51 am




  • Right, to quote that, I got most of it right, and one bit wrong:

    "Practice squad players earn significantly less than players on the active roster, but they still take home a solid weekly paycheck. NFL practice squad players make a minimum of $6,000 per week they are on the practice squad. There is no limit to how much a team can pay a player on the practice squad. Some will offer a higher weekly salary in order to entice better players to sign, although the practice squad contracts do count against the salary cap.

    The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have paid practice squad players significantly more in recent seasons. In 2010, Tampa Bay offered wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe a contract worth equivalent to the minimum salary to entice him to sign to its practice squad.

    If a player remains on the practice squad for an entire regular season, he would earn $102,000. A player with less than one accrued season on the active roster would earn a minimum salary of $405,000."

    i.e. you can pay whatever you like, but it counts against the cap.
    User avatar
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 907
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:12 pm


  • Do the PS guys get a ring if the team wins the Superbowl?
    #NEXTMANUP
    User avatar
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2692
    Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:15 am


  • Yes, they get rings.

    To clarify the questions; do you think the Seahawks offer anything, "benefit" wise to have their players stay here? They seem to have a fairly high retention rate, when their roster depth is used as a variable.
    @ryanadamdavis
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 11484
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • Evil_Shenanigans wrote:Do the PS guys get a ring if the team wins the Superbowl?


    The team decides. They usually do.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    User avatar
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3426
    Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am


  • Real opportunity to make the final 53 and have a career in the NFL. Not likely to find that on any other team. Other clubs don't follow the compete mantra as strictly as Pete does but instead place an inordinate value on drafted or veteran players. Bradford probably feels his best chance at playing time and an NFL career lies in Seattle.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *
     
    Posts: 8963
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • ivotuk wrote:Real opportunity to make the final 53 and have a career in the NFL. Not likely to find that on any other team. Other clubs don't follow the compete mantra as strictly as Pete does but instead place an inordinate value on drafted or veteran players. Bradford probably feels his best chance at playing time and an NFL career lies in Seattle.



    Only 14 minutes later!

    http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72751

    I would think opportunity would be with a lessor team rather than a young very competitive roster.

    Pe, I doubt the Hawks pay any more than the $6K per week. If there was someone that special they would find a way to get them on the 53.
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    User avatar
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4196
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:55 am


  • Lol, well, I whiffed on assuming Bradford would stay like the others. But, successfully nailed a landing spot? You know what that means? That's right, I'm seahawks.net equivalent of Mel Kiper.
    @ryanadamdavis
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 11484
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm




It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:43 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information