DVR review - Offense

kearly

Reaction score
-Max Unger had a rough first quarter, with two blown pass protections. It appeared that that second one ~might~ have been by design (the pass targeted a RB), but no other OL dropped their blocking assignment so I'm assuming it was a mess up by Unger.

-JR Sweezy allowed a pressure in the first half, but was otherwise solid in pass pro.

-For all Carpenter's struggles, he was actually pretty solid in pass protection.

-McQuistan got thrown on his butt by a LB during a 3rd and 10 blitz which allowed immediate pressure. He was also called for a hold later in the game, though I personally didn't see him holding from the broadcast angle. On that same play, Russell Okung was busted for a legit hold but wasn't dinged for it because McQuistan's was the holding penalty that the officials accepted.

-Giacomini had a legit hold, and also surrendered the only sack of the game that I would put squarely on the OL. The sack he allowed was the one where Wilson was looking to his left and fumbled after the blindside hit, which cost Seattle at least 3 points right before half time.

-Seattle's other sack allowed came on an empty backfield delayed blitz (surprise!). Turbin was open for a an easy 8+ yard gain and Wilson appeared to see him, but ate the sack anyway. It looked like he didn't feel good about throwing over the blitzer. Regardless, that sack is on Wilson.

-The run blocking was a lot better than I expected. Thing is, it just takes one mistake or one great individual play by a defender to cancel out good run blocking. Seattle had several runs for 3-4 yards in the first quarter that were well blocked, and they were outstanding at running the football in the 4th quarter, with the only gaffe coming when Marshawn Lynch trusted Luke Willson's outside blocking too much and lost 5 yards.

-James Carpenter literally ran right by his LB assignment on one play. His 2nd level blocking is truly awful.

-Wilson had plenty of time to throw on numerous occasions, particularly 3rd down. When he did end up scrambling, it was almost always because of coverage, not protection.

-On one play, Luke Willson lined up at FB and lead blocked a run left. He didn't lay a clean enough block so Lynch didn't trust it, which is a real shame because the left side of the line was bulldozing. Had it been Michael Robinson lead blocking there, it's a 10-15 yard run off the left side. Instead, Lynch ran to his right for no gain. There was a lot of TE/WR in the backfield in this game. I think it's a neat idea, but so far it seems to be hurting our run game.

-Luke Willson had a tough game. No catches, no targets, poor run blocking, and got us a penalty that put us at greater risk for a safety.

-Seattle got pretty good results when they had WRs in the backfield. Seattle used those WRs like pass catching fullbacks. Those WRs would run at a linebacker like they were going to block him then instead just ran on by and then caught a pass for an easy 5-6 yard gain with consistency. This play looked very easy to execute, especially on bootlegs.

-When Seattle wasn't pull blocking, they did a pretty good job creating reasonable space for Lynch. Pull blocking killed us though. Star Lotulelei and Luke Kuechly defeated us seemingly every single time they called a pull blocking play. Those pull blocks make assumptions about defender speed, leaving certain guys unblocked. Lotulelei is much faster than your typical 1-tech, and Kuechly is one of the fastest MLBs in the NFL.

-At least twice during the game, Sidney Rice spun the football after a completion. The second time he did it, you could see one of the officials saying something to Rice afterwards with a bit of a stink-eye. Neither spin got penalized. I think the officials deserve some credit for being lenient with a brand new rule that Rice was apparently unaware of.

-Russell Wilson had a much better game than I thought he did. He didn't hold the ball longer than 5 seconds very often, and when he did, it was usually the right decision. His intermediate passing in this game was OUTSTANDING. He has more zip on his intermediate passes than last year. He had two mild overthrows, one to Tate on a 10 yard pass in the 1st quarter and then the bomb to Williams. His followup bomb to Kearse could not have been placed any better. Had he thrown it a foot less or a foot more it might not have been caught.

-On the bomb to Williams, Williams appeared to be running full speed the whole way and seemed to be where he was supposed to be. Wilson over threw him.

-Doug Baldwin had an even better game on second viewing. He didn't bobble a single catch, and some of them were hardly automatic. Maybe it's just me but he looks 5-10 pounds bulkier too. Doug Baldwin looks like a very good #2 WR right now. He only had 91 yards receiving, but this was the most impressed I've ever been by a Doug Baldwin performance.

-On Golden Tate's big first down catch during the final drive, he was contacted by 5 Panthers defenders before going down.

-Robert Turbin had a very nice cutback run on the final drive. After the play, he celebrated with a peculiar shout. He sounded like Bruce Lee.

-Jermaine Kearse Superman'd the Carolina home crowd after his TD.

-Seattle had several good looking drives, and Carolina pretty much stayed in a base defense. Our offense looked a lot better on second viewing, and I've come to the conclusion that Carolina was very fortunate to hold our team to 12 points. There was the fumble in the red zone at the end of the 2nd quarter, then the iffy intentional grounding that hurt us on another drive, and then there was the fumble they recovered inside the Panthers 35 yard line that turned into 0 points. Seattle was really unclutch in this game until the 4th quarter- with average luck they probably score 21+.

-Seattle's last drive was their best one. They looked very much like themselves on that drive, which began at their own 7 yard line and ate up nearly 6 minutes of game clock.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Just doing a DVR study for offense, since it's been a controversial topic this week. I had some free time and wanted some clarity on how our offense performed.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
1. My main takeaway from reading your thoughts: we really miss Michael Robinson and Anthony McCoy in the run game.

2. You're allowed to spin the ball as long as it's not being done in the direction of an opposing player.

3. Hard for me to call Wilson's bomb to Williams an overthrow when it landed squarely in both of his hands. Not a terrible drop, but a makeable play. Can't expect placement at that distance to be perfect. Can only allow your receiver an opportunity to make a play. Williams came up a bit short.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Baldwin has definitely bulked up some. The guy is all business. And in a championship contract year.

When you do a review of defense, I'd be curious to see what happened to Wagner.

He seemed kind of invisible to me.

Also, the sack Giacomini gave up occurred right after that guy got booted (iiirc) and the worst thing about that sack was it almost cost us Russell Okung who had Wilson and his sacker (Johnson?) fall on the back of his legs while the guy Okung was blocking bent him over backwards on top of the pile.

A bad scenario.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Yep, great stuff Kip. Just confirms the notion that good teams win games like this--games where most of the breaks go the other way.

themunn

Reaction score
-James Carpenter literally ran right by his LB assignment on one play. His 2nd level blocking is truly awful.

How do you know that the LB WAS his assignment?

-At least twice during the game, Sidney Rice spun the football after a completion. The second time he did it, you could see one of the officials saying something to Rice afterwards with a bit of a stink-eye. Neither spin got penalized. I think the officials deserve some credit for being lenient with a brand new rule that Rice was apparently unaware of.

Also this rule has been clarified as doing it in the vicinity of an opponent (ie taunting). Spinning the ball still isn't against the rules

bestfightstory

Reaction score
DavidSeven":34bow5nu said:
1. My main takeaway from reading your thoughts: we really miss Michael Robinson and Anthony McCoy in the run game.

2. You're allowed to spin the ball as long as it's not being done in the direction of an opposing player.

3. Hard for me to call Wilson's bomb to Williams an overthrow when it landed squarely in both of his hands. Not a terrible drop, but a makeable play. Can't expect placement at that distance to be perfect. Can only allow your receiver an opportunity to make a play. Williams came up a bit short.

My God, If Williams came up a bit short on that play then so did Wilson (as evidenced by the very next play).

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
Curious about your thoughts on the Baldwin sideline catch. Not the catch itself, but during the game I felt like they suckered Carolina into throwing the red flag and burning a time out with a bad challenge. It was clearly a catch even in real time, but the Hawks raced back to the line like they wanted to get the play off before Carolina could challenge. Maybe I'm making it up in my head, but I'd be curious if it looked like a bluff on DVR.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
kearly":38ew8ufr said:
-JR Sweezy allowed a pressure in the first half, but was otherwise solid in pass pro.
Sweezy -2.0 - tied for fifth worst score on team by PFF. If we consider that this score is accurate, either his run blocking was atrocious and thus brought the overall score down or his pass pro was not "solid"

-For all Carpenter's struggles, he was actually pretty solid in pass protection.
Carpenter -2.3 - Lowest ranked lineman by PFF - something is not squaring here. What is your definition of solid?

-Giacomini had a legit hold, and also surrendered the only sack of the game that I would put squarely on the OL. The sack he allowed was the one where Wilson was looking to his left and fumbled after the blindside hit, which cost Seattle at least 3 points right before half time.

Some of your strongest criticism for the only lineman that had a positive (and rather positive at that) score assigned by PFF.

-The run blocking was a lot better than I expected.
End result i.e. 71 yards, 2.7 YPC would say otherwise.

-Wilson had plenty of time to throw on numerous occasions, particularly 3rd down. When he did end up scrambling, it was almost always because of coverage, not protection.
If the pass protection was good then why did PFF assign these numbers?

Giacomini 1.8
Okung -1.2
Unger -1.3
Sweezy -2.0
McQuistan -2.2
Carpenter -2.3

-Seattle had several good looking drives, and Carolina pretty much stayed in a base defense.
Head scratcher - the offense was brutal to watch

DavidSeven

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2gyf2iq2 said:
DavidSeven":2gyf2iq2 said:

My God, If Williams came up a bit short on that play then so did Wilson (as evidenced by the very next play).

What makes you say that? Kearse leaped and made a great play on a ball that was probably thrown the same distance as the one before to Williams.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I say that because Kearse was able to leap vertically to get both hands on the ball whereas Williams had to stretch out horizontally and in the direction he was headed (ie overthrow albeit slight ie imperfect ie a bit short)

themunn

Reaction score
falcongoggles":hlr3knb6 said:
blah blah blah PFF facts

PFF focus ranked Earl Thomas the 34th best safety in the league last year.
They talk NONSENSE

plyka

Reaction score
DavidSeven":bw9ggdfl said:

I agree with your last point. Williams also did not look fluid in his "full speed," he looked like he had some indecision which caused him to either not run full speed or have a hitch in his run which ended up causing the same problem, i.e. not getting to the ball. I thought the Williams pass was perfect, Williams just needs to run top speed without hesitation. It's impossible to make a throw like that unless your WR is running full speed, even a slight hesitation may cause the ball landing 5 yards in front of the player.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Good read. Although MRob maybe missed, his replacement had a pretty good game. I suspect we maybe moving away from the FB. I am really hoping we add Fells he blocks well and Person has not impressed me

DavidSeven

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1yx2toxz said:
I say that because Kearse was able to leap vertically to get both hands on the ball whereas Williams had to stretch out horizontally and in the direction he was headed (ie overthrow albeit slight ie imperfect ie a bit short)

Agree to disagree, I suppose. I thought the degree of difficulty on Kearse's catch was equal to, if not greater than, Williams's -- thought both had an opportunity on decently placed bombs. Still expect both to be big play weapons throughout the season.

pehawk

Reaction score
Not sure if its intentional or not, falcongoggles, but your replies came off snarky. I'm not doing this to be one of the legions who kiss kearly's ass, not my thing. But, I do appreciate someone who puts time and effort into posts for our digestion.

Yes, I'm snarky and half a female body part, most of the time. But, I'm also very thankful for good posts OR posts which required tremendous effort (whether I agree or not). This post required effort and is an asset to the board.

Oh and "fart...."

bestfightstory

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1bhdndz0 said:
bestfightstory":1bhdndz0 said:

Agree to disagree, I suppose. -- thought both had an opportunity on decently placed bombs. Still expect both to be big play weapons throughout the season.

Agree with all of that! :thirishdrinkers:

pehawk

Reaction score
At this point, I want to see more jump balls to Kearse. He's ALWAYS excelled at that.