DVR review - Offense

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
DVR review - Offense
Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:55 pm
  • -Max Unger had a rough first quarter, with two blown pass protections. It appeared that that second one ~might~ have been by design (the pass targeted a RB), but no other OL dropped their blocking assignment so I'm assuming it was a mess up by Unger.

-JR Sweezy allowed a pressure in the first half, but was otherwise solid in pass pro.

-For all Carpenter's struggles, he was actually pretty solid in pass protection.

-McQuistan got thrown on his butt by a LB during a 3rd and 10 blitz which allowed immediate pressure. He was also called for a hold later in the game, though I personally didn't see him holding from the broadcast angle. On that same play, Russell Okung was busted for a legit hold but wasn't dinged for it because McQuistan's was the holding penalty that the officials accepted.

-Giacomini had a legit hold, and also surrendered the only sack of the game that I would put squarely on the OL. The sack he allowed was the one where Wilson was looking to his left and fumbled after the blindside hit, which cost Seattle at least 3 points right before half time.

-Seattle's other sack allowed came on an empty backfield delayed blitz (surprise!). Turbin was open for a an easy 8+ yard gain and Wilson appeared to see him, but ate the sack anyway. It looked like he didn't feel good about throwing over the blitzer. Regardless, that sack is on Wilson.

-The run blocking was a lot better than I expected. Thing is, it just takes one mistake or one great individual play by a defender to cancel out good run blocking. Seattle had several runs for 3-4 yards in the first quarter that were well blocked, and they were outstanding at running the football in the 4th quarter, with the only gaffe coming when Marshawn Lynch trusted Luke Willson's outside blocking too much and lost 5 yards.

-James Carpenter literally ran right by his LB assignment on one play. His 2nd level blocking is truly awful.

-Wilson had plenty of time to throw on numerous occasions, particularly 3rd down. When he did end up scrambling, it was almost always because of coverage, not protection.

-On one play, Luke Willson lined up at FB and lead blocked a run left. He didn't lay a clean enough block so Lynch didn't trust it, which is a real shame because the left side of the line was bulldozing. Had it been Michael Robinson lead blocking there, it's a 10-15 yard run off the left side. Instead, Lynch ran to his right for no gain. There was a lot of TE/WR in the backfield in this game. I think it's a neat idea, but so far it seems to be hurting our run game.

-Luke Willson had a tough game. No catches, no targets, poor run blocking, and got us a penalty that put us at greater risk for a safety.

-Seattle got pretty good results when they had WRs in the backfield. Seattle used those WRs like pass catching fullbacks. Those WRs would run at a linebacker like they were going to block him then instead just ran on by and then caught a pass for an easy 5-6 yard gain with consistency. This play looked very easy to execute, especially on bootlegs.

-When Seattle wasn't pull blocking, they did a pretty good job creating reasonable space for Lynch. Pull blocking killed us though. Star Lotulelei and Luke Kuechly defeated us seemingly every single time they called a pull blocking play. Those pull blocks make assumptions about defender speed, leaving certain guys unblocked. Lotulelei is much faster than your typical 1-tech, and Kuechly is one of the fastest MLBs in the NFL.

-At least twice during the game, Sidney Rice spun the football after a completion. The second time he did it, you could see one of the officials saying something to Rice afterwards with a bit of a stink-eye. Neither spin got penalized. I think the officials deserve some credit for being lenient with a brand new rule that Rice was apparently unaware of.

-Russell Wilson had a much better game than I thought he did. He didn't hold the ball longer than 5 seconds very often, and when he did, it was usually the right decision. His intermediate passing in this game was OUTSTANDING. He has more zip on his intermediate passes than last year. He had two mild overthrows, one to Tate on a 10 yard pass in the 1st quarter and then the bomb to Williams. His followup bomb to Kearse could not have been placed any better. Had he thrown it a foot less or a foot more it might not have been caught.

-On the bomb to Williams, Williams appeared to be running full speed the whole way and seemed to be where he was supposed to be. Wilson over threw him.

-Doug Baldwin had an even better game on second viewing. He didn't bobble a single catch, and some of them were hardly automatic. Maybe it's just me but he looks 5-10 pounds bulkier too. Doug Baldwin looks like a very good #2 WR right now. He only had 91 yards receiving, but this was the most impressed I've ever been by a Doug Baldwin performance.

-On Golden Tate's big first down catch during the final drive, he was contacted by 5 Panthers defenders before going down.

-Robert Turbin had a very nice cutback run on the final drive. After the play, he celebrated with a peculiar shout. He sounded like Bruce Lee.

-Jermaine Kearse Superman'd the Carolina home crowd after his TD.

-Seattle had several good looking drives, and Carolina pretty much stayed in a base defense. Our offense looked a lot better on second viewing, and I've come to the conclusion that Carolina was very fortunate to hold our team to 12 points. There was the fumble in the red zone at the end of the 2nd quarter, then the iffy intentional grounding that hurt us on another drive, and then there was the fumble they recovered inside the Panthers 35 yard line that turned into 0 points. Seattle was really unclutch in this game until the 4th quarter- with average luck they probably score 21+.

-Seattle's last drive was their best one. They looked very much like themselves on that drive, which began at their own 7 yard line and ate up nearly 6 minutes of game clock.
    Last edited by kearly on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Re: DVR review - Offense
Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:56 pm
  • Just doing a DVR study for offense, since it's been a controversial topic this week. I had some free time and wanted some clarity on how our offense performed.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:59 pm
  • Thanks, chief. Good stuff!
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:03 pm
  • Thank you.
    Championships are forever.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:05 pm
  • 1. My main takeaway from reading your thoughts: we really miss Michael Robinson and Anthony McCoy in the run game.

2. You're allowed to spin the ball as long as it's not being done in the direction of an opposing player.

3. Hard for me to call Wilson's bomb to Williams an overthrow when it landed squarely in both of his hands. Not a terrible drop, but a makeable play. Can't expect placement at that distance to be perfect. Can only allow your receiver an opportunity to make a play. Williams came up a bit short.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:06 pm
  • Baldwin has definitely bulked up some. The guy is all business. And in a championship contract year.

When you do a review of defense, I'd be curious to see what happened to Wagner.

He seemed kind of invisible to me.

Also, the sack Giacomini gave up occurred right after that guy got booted (iiirc) and the worst thing about that sack was it almost cost us Russell Okung who had Wilson and his sacker (Johnson?) fall on the back of his legs while the guy Okung was blocking bent him over backwards on top of the pile.

A bad scenario.
    Last edited by bestfightstory on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:06 pm
  • Yep, great stuff Kip. Just confirms the notion that good teams win games like this--games where most of the breaks go the other way.
    ...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:10 pm
  • -James Carpenter literally ran right by his LB assignment on one play. His 2nd level blocking is truly awful.

How do you know that the LB WAS his assignment?

-At least twice during the game, Sidney Rice spun the football after a completion. The second time he did it, you could see one of the officials saying something to Rice afterwards with a bit of a stink-eye. Neither spin got penalized. I think the officials deserve some credit for being lenient with a brand new rule that Rice was apparently unaware of.

Also this rule has been clarified as doing it in the vicinity of an opponent (ie taunting). Spinning the ball still isn't against the rules
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:15 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:1. My main takeaway from reading your thoughts: we really miss Michael Robinson and Anthony McCoy in the run game.

2. You're allowed to spin the ball as long as it's not being done in the direction of an opposing player.

3. Hard for me to call Wilson's bomb to Williams an overthrow when it landed squarely in both of his hands. Not a terrible drop, but a makeable play. Can't expect placement at that distance to be perfect. Can only allow your receiver an opportunity to make a play. Williams came up a bit short.

My God, If Williams came up a bit short on that play then so did Wilson (as evidenced by the very next play).
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:16 pm
  • Curious about your thoughts on the Baldwin sideline catch. Not the catch itself, but during the game I felt like they suckered Carolina into throwing the red flag and burning a time out with a bad challenge. It was clearly a catch even in real time, but the Hawks raced back to the line like they wanted to get the play off before Carolina could challenge. Maybe I'm making it up in my head, but I'd be curious if it looked like a bluff on DVR.
    imnKOgnito
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:16 pm
  • kearly wrote:-JR Sweezy allowed a pressure in the first half, but was otherwise solid in pass pro.

Sweezy -2.0 - tied for fifth worst score on team by PFF. If we consider that this score is accurate, either his run blocking was atrocious and thus brought the overall score down or his pass pro was not "solid"

kearly wrote:-For all Carpenter's struggles, he was actually pretty solid in pass protection.

Carpenter -2.3 - Lowest ranked lineman by PFF - something is not squaring here. What is your definition of solid?

kearly wrote:-Giacomini had a legit hold, and also surrendered the only sack of the game that I would put squarely on the OL. The sack he allowed was the one where Wilson was looking to his left and fumbled after the blindside hit, which cost Seattle at least 3 points right before half time.

Some of your strongest criticism for the only lineman that had a positive (and rather positive at that) score assigned by PFF.

kearly wrote:-The run blocking was a lot better than I expected.

End result i.e. 71 yards, 2.7 YPC would say otherwise.

kearly wrote:-Wilson had plenty of time to throw on numerous occasions, particularly 3rd down. When he did end up scrambling, it was almost always because of coverage, not protection.

If the pass protection was good then why did PFF assign these numbers?

Giacomini 1.8
    Okung -1.2
    Unger -1.3
    Sweezy -2.0
    McQuistan -2.2
    Carpenter -2.3

kearly wrote:-Seattle had several good looking drives, and Carolina pretty much stayed in a base defense.

Head scratcher - the offense was brutal to watch
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:17 pm
  • bestfightstory wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:1. My main takeaway from reading your thoughts: we really miss Michael Robinson and Anthony McCoy in the run game.

My God, If Williams came up a bit short on that play then so did Wilson (as evidenced by the very next play).

What makes you say that? Kearse leaped and made a great play on a ball that was probably thrown the same distance as the one before to Williams.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:20 pm
  • I say that because Kearse was able to leap vertically to get both hands on the ball whereas Williams had to stretch out horizontally and in the direction he was headed (ie overthrow albeit slight ie imperfect ie a bit short)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:22 pm
  • falcongoggles wrote:blah blah blah PFF facts

PFF focus ranked Earl Thomas the 34th best safety in the league last year.
    They talk NONSENSE
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:22 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:1. My main takeaway from reading your thoughts: we really miss Michael Robinson and Anthony McCoy in the run game.

I agree with your last point. Williams also did not look fluid in his "full speed," he looked like he had some indecision which caused him to either not run full speed or have a hitch in his run which ended up causing the same problem, i.e. not getting to the ball. I thought the Williams pass was perfect, Williams just needs to run top speed without hesitation. It's impossible to make a throw like that unless your WR is running full speed, even a slight hesitation may cause the ball landing 5 yards in front of the player.
    plyka
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:24 pm
  • Good read. Although MRob maybe missed, his replacement had a pretty good game. I suspect we maybe moving away from the FB. I am really hoping we add Fells he blocks well and Person has not impressed me
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:25 pm
  • bestfightstory wrote:I say that because Kearse was able to leap vertically to get both hands on the ball whereas Williams had to stretch out horizontally and in the direction he was headed (ie overthrow albeit slight ie imperfect ie a bit short)

Agree to disagree, I suppose. I thought the degree of difficulty on Kearse's catch was equal to, if not greater than, Williams's -- thought both had an opportunity on decently placed bombs. Still expect both to be big play weapons throughout the season.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:26 pm
  • Not sure if its intentional or not, falcongoggles, but your replies came off snarky. I'm not doing this to be one of the legions who kiss kearly's ass, not my thing. But, I do appreciate someone who puts time and effort into posts for our digestion.

Yes, I'm snarky and half a female body part, most of the time. But, I'm also very thankful for good posts OR posts which required tremendous effort (whether I agree or not). This post required effort and is an asset to the board.

Oh and "fart...."
    Last edited by pehawk on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:26 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:I say that because Kearse was able to leap vertically to get both hands on the ball whereas Williams had to stretch out horizontally and in the direction he was headed (ie overthrow albeit slight ie imperfect ie a bit short)

Agree to disagree, I suppose. -- thought both had an opportunity on decently placed bombs. Still expect both to be big play weapons throughout the season.

Agree with all of that! :thirishdrinkers:
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:28 pm
  • At this point, I want to see more jump balls to Kearse. He's ALWAYS excelled at that.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:40 pm
  • Hmmm. Who do I side with? Kearly or ol' Beergoggles? That's a tough one.

I agree with those who say it's a bit much to call the bomb to Williams "overthrown". Yes, it wasn't pin point perfectly placed. And Williams had to stretch a tad. But for a throw of that distance, it was very catchable. Would've been a nice catch, and not one I'd get on Williams for not hauling in (as Tim Ryan felt the need), but I don't see how you really make much of it being overthrown. The main point on a long bomb like that is to make it so your guy is the only one with a shot at the ball. This is all splitting hairs, really. But that's the way I saw the play. Now the Kearse pass, that was indeed pin point perfect placement.

Nice job, Kip. Much appreciated.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:41 pm
  • kearly wrote:Seattle had several good looking drives

I went and checked and Seattle actually had the 6th-highest yards per drive in the first week. It helped that Carolina didn't turn it over in their own end zone to leave a short field, but this is why looking only at total yardage is deceptive with teams that chew up a lot of game clock. Of course, the flip side is that Carolina was pretty decent themselves at 12th.

Seattle's last drive was their best one. They looked very much like themselves on that drive, which began at their own 7 yard line and ate up nearly 6 minutes of game clock.

I wonder why Seattle didn't do more of those fullback passes, earlier on. They worked extremely well last year.
    Perfundle
    NET Rookie

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:41 pm
  • SeaTown81 wrote: This is all splitting hairs, really.

Good post, Jordachian.
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:45 pm
  • So I'm wondering, if Carp just missed a couple assigments, can this just be attributed to rust ? I've heard some say he's a poor fit for our offensive line schemes. He missed the entire offseason. It stands to reason there's rust there, but I'm wondering if there's upside of he's just done.

I agree on the run blocking assessment. Defensively, it really only takes one or two good individual plays to defeat that matchup. Once that happens, it makes everything look bad. Then again, if the defense keeps making those plays, it's an indictment on the offense. Our overall stat line, and inability to run the ball most of the day would lead me to believe we were below average.

You have to make plays in the NFL. We lost some turnovers, and like Wilson said, you have to be great on 3rd down. Him missing Turbin on that blitz has even bigger ramifications. If a blitzer gets home, confuses the QB, or makes him inaccurate, then the pressure is working. The defense will keep blitzing until you beat them with it. You don't blitz Peyton Manning a lot as he makes you pay for it. Wilson better start figuring out how to beat that blitz. SF is going to see this tape and pressure the hell out of Wilson. The Cardinals LOVE to pressure and stunt up the middle (although this was with Horton...it may have changed). STL might be the best in the division with getting pressure with 4 down linemen. You HAVE to be able to beat pressure, or be doomed to getting pressured on the majority of your plays the rest of the year.

Wilson's a smart guy; I'm sure he'll see the tape and improve on it. You can also run into a blitz, and run away from a blitz and usually do some real damage. We ran right into a ton of run blitzing last game and didn't audible out of it.

Does anyone know.....is Wilson allowed to audible out of run sets to pass sets, and visa versa ?

Speaking of making plays, Sherman dropped a sure INT. Once again, if we make those plays, the game isn't nearly as close. It IS nice to see us win a game where all the plays didn't go our way, and we still grunted it out.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:45 pm
  • Thanks for the analysis Kearly, it is always much appreciated.

The first couple of drives it really seemed to me that RW had no time at all to pass. Was I mistaken?

And, curious as to your thoughts on the PFF ratings. Seem like crap to me...
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:53 pm
  • Hawks46 wrote:
    You have to make plays in the NFL.

Speaking of making plays, Sherman dropped a sure INT. Once again, if we make those plays, the game isn't nearly as close. It IS nice to see us win a game where all the plays didn't go our way, and we still grunted it out.

True, however Greg Olsen missed several plays that could have harmed us early. It goes both ways.
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:03 pm
  • Thanks for the time put in Kearly. To be honest, this is about what I expected this game to look like, maybe even worse. Considering Carolina's already good front 3, with the addition of a monstrosity like Star Lotuleilei, and having Luke Kuechly in the middle, we had a tough assignment getting the running game going and keeping Russell's pocket clean.

Kudo's to the O-Line for their first game back against a great defense. Reminds me a lot of the Arizona game, except it wasn't 90 degrees and humid in AZ and we weren't facing Cam Newton.

I expect a lot of improvement this week going against an overconfident 49er team.

falcongoggles, not sure I would take PFFs first week analysis too seriously, it's too subjective with little to go on when comparing players against defenses. Later in the season they will have a better handle on who the good defenses are and will adjust accordingly. For example, watching nfl network today and they ranked the players with the most tackles, everyone of the highest ranked tacklers was on a losing team.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:17 pm
  • Im confused Kearly. How can you call the sack that Breno let through a "blind side hit"? Wilson was on his 3rd read (Turbin) and about to throw when he got sacked and hit in the arm. But Wilson looked right first, then center, then left, then he was sacked. But even though Wilson looked left, doesnt make the hit from the blind side as Wilson is right handed and even looked right first before looking left.

Essentially, blind side is the left side for him. Only Vick can get blind-sided by a DE from the left.
    Last edited by Cartire on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Time of possession is the most meaningless statistic in football. -RolandDeschain
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:18 pm
  • Re-watching the game now. I'm even more miffed this time that Pete didn't use a TO with 58 seconds left in the half. 1st down on the 12, 2 TOs left. WTF?

Instead, the team has to run down the field (after Baldwin's catch), hurry to the line, then RW gets sacked and fumbles immediately thereafter.

I fully understand 2 TOs allows us to run the ball, but we were averaging like 2 yds a carry. No question if we were going to get in the endzone, we'd likely have to pass. Which means we didn't need both TOs and really didn't even need 1 (in that scenario), even if we had to settle for the FG. I love Pete...but it seems to me he tends to get a bit discombobulated, if not stupid, just before half time.

Edit: Just watched the 4th qtr drop by Williams. And I do mean...drop. It was a near perfect throw from RW. The general sentiment has been that it would have taken a "great catch" for Williams to bring it in. I now totally disagree. In fact, IF Williams stays in stride, it would've / should've been an easy catch. He is young and I'm certain understands his mistake. Still, he should to treat the entire team to acres of clams.
    Last edited by HawkWow on Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Having your views challenged is a lot more healthy than simply jabbering on with people who think exactly the same way as you.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:15 pm
  • Thanks man. If Carpenter's pass block is solid, I'm sure it won't be long until he regains the unofficial run-blocking mauler status we gave him. Although I am concerned about the pull blocks and second level blocks. He might be too slow (in more ways than one?) to pull that off.
    Last edited by oasis on Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    oasis
    NET Starter

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:16 pm
  • bestfightstory wrote:When you do a review of defense, I'd be curious to see what happened to Wagner.

I won't be.

themunn wrote:How do you know that the LB WAS his assignment?

I wondered about that. There was only one LB in the area, but Carpenter seemed to be looking for someone else. Still, it looked pretty bad, and the LB he could have blocked but didn't had a minor impact on the outcome of the play. Being terrible at 2nd level blocks is nothing new for Carp, btw.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:21 pm
  • Thanks for the effort as always, Kip.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:22 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:Thanks for the effort as always, Kip.

Seconded.
    Having your views challenged is a lot more healthy than simply jabbering on with people who think exactly the same way as you.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:26 pm
  • Regarding PFF, they had Rishaw Johnson down for a negative run blocking grade in our first preseason game. You know, the one where we were running on them for like 7 yards a carry with our backup line? Johnson has his issues to be sure, but he was our best run blocker that day.

How they gave Giacomini a +1.8 score in this game is a mystery to me. He allowed a sack, was called for holding, and was solid but not amazing in run blocking. That score reads like a typo. If he did that every game he'd finish with 16 sacks (worst in the NFL by a mile), 16 holds (probably also worst), and yet he'd have a higher PFF score than any lineman last season. So yeah, I am mystified by that score, big time. I like Giacomini, but he did not have a good game.

It's gotten to the point where I don't trust PFF for their OL grading anymore, good or bad. At least not right now I don't.

BTW, I do think if we are strictly grading on performance without context, then Seattle's OL definitely deserved a negative score on the whole. But that had an awful lot to do with factors beyond their control. Tom Cable was trying new stuff out and admitted he got too cute, and Carolina's fast front seven destroyed almost all of our developing rush attempts. The TEs at fullback spoiled good run blocking on a few occasions as well.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:34 pm
  • Amazing review!!!
    kearly wrote:-On the bomb to Williams, Williams appeared to be running full speed the whole way and seemed to be where he was supposed to be. Wilson over threw him.

Only problem I see is that a WR needs to catch the ball when he gets two hands on it. That was a beauty of a throw.
    Colin Kaepernick wrote:I think our efficiency in the huddle was more of a factor than the crowd.
    C-Dub
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:36 pm
  • Regarding the two deep passes, the difference is that Williams had to go full extension horizontally, whereas Kearse caught the ball high but exactly where he should. The Kearse pass was PERFECT. Not even an inch too far or too close. The Williams pass would have been an easy TD if thrown 12-18 inches less.

I do agree that throwing deep is hard to do, and you never expect QBs to be perfect every time. I would equate it to kicking a 55 yard field goal. It wasn't a great throw, Williams had a chance to bail Wilson out and couldn't do it. These are humans not robots, so blame is kind of pointless. But for the record, it was Wilson making Williams' job harder, not Williams dropping a great "should catch" pass.

C-Dub wrote:Only problem I see is that a WR needs to catch the ball when he gets two hands on it. That was a beauty of a throw.

I don't think it's realistic to expect a full extension catch two hands or not. It's 50/50 for most receivers in the NFL. We are spoiled rotten by Tate and Rice who always seem to catch those.

Basically, I'm not really blaming either party. 43 yard TD bombs are hard to do, and both Wilson and Williams came up just short. Not every QB can have the deep accuracy that Flacco and Andrew Luck have. And not every WR can haul in full extension catches at full speed every time.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:44 pm
  • I thought Sweezy looked bad in the 2nd level too, whiffed a couple of times. I saw the Carp whiff, it was pretty unathletic looking. Overall I was very impressed with Carolina's front 4 plus Kuechly and one other linebacker, whose name I don't remember.

On PFF scores, they, just like Kearly, have to guess what assignments were. And just like any of us, they are assigning these grades from broadcast footage, not coach view. Which won't be out til Thursday, if Rewind is like last year. And if I recall correctly, PFF uses just one guy per team to assign those scores. Which makes it just as subjective as anything Kearly does. Besides, I am assuming you too have access to the same footage, Goggles, why don't you go through it and assign your own scores rather than rely on PFF? I know I don't rely on Kip, much as I respect what he does in his labor of obsessive love.

Also, to address Falcon goggles statement that the offense was awful, they scored on 3 of 8 drives, had another long drive that ended with the fumble in the 2nd quarter, and closed the game by eating 5:25 of clock on offense. I would not call that too bad, final score be damned.

I heard the Raiders coach today say that while he was happy that there was good effort from his guys, there are no moral victories, just wins and losses. Which made me wonder, why in a victory, are there so many talking about a moral loss? I don't mind criticism, but a lot of what I am hearing feels like pre niner angst and hand wringing more than real objectivity about defects.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:47 pm
  • Cartire wrote:Im confused Kearly. How can you call the sack that Breno let through a "blind side hit"? Wilson was on his 3rd read (Turbin) and about to throw when he got sacked and hit in the arm. But Wilson looked right first, then center, then left, then he was sacked. But even though Wilson looked left, doesnt make the hit from the blind side as Wilson is right handed and even looked right first before looking left.

Essentially, blind side is the left side for him. Only Vick can get blind-sided by a DE from the left.

He was hit in the back and didn't see it coming. "Blindsided" is not a reference to alignment.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:51 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:I thought Sweezy looked bad in the 2nd level too, whiffed a couple of times. I saw the Carp whiff, it was pretty unathletic looking.

The Carp whiff wasn't really unathletic looking. He simply made no attempt to block the only guy really available. He just ran right by him. Kuechly didn't factor in the tackle but it was more of a head scratcher than unathletic.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:54 pm
  • kearly wrote:
    Cartire wrote:Im confused Kearly. How can you call the sack that Breno let through a "blind side hit"? Wilson was on his 3rd read (Turbin) and about to throw when he got sacked and hit in the arm. But Wilson looked right first, then center, then left, then he was sacked. But even though Wilson looked left, doesnt make the hit from the blind side as Wilson is right handed and even looked right first before looking left.

He was hit in the back and didn't see it coming. "Blindsided" is not a reference to alignment.

My point was, he should have seen it, at least the timing, because he looked right first after the snap. Him looking to the left at that point, I dont consider blindsided, because he should have known that guys was coming. Im not saying its Wilsons fault on that one, as I think Breno could have stalled him a bit longer, but Wilson should have anticipated that hit, as he should have seen it coming.
    Time of possession is the most meaningless statistic in football. -RolandDeschain
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:56 pm
  • Cartire wrote:My point was, he should have seen it, at least the timing, because he looked right first after the snap. Him looking to the left at that point, I dont consider blindsided, because he should have known that guys was coming. Im not saying its Wilsons fault on that one, as I think Breno could have stalled him a bit longer, but Wilson should have anticipated that hit, as he should have seen it coming.

I think you are partially correct so I won't argue. I've heard NFL coaches say that any sack that comes from the right side is on the QB (unless he's a lefty).

Giacomini did get owned on the play though. Wilson clearly did not expect pressure to arrive that soon.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:12 pm
  • Nice one, Kearly. I'm looking forward to re-watching the game myself. I'm also looking forward to watching that Philly game. If we are moving away from the traditional blocking FB role, I wonder how much of that Chip Kelly style we might be able to pull off. The same way our coaches stole a few pages from the RG3 playbook last year, I'd be curious to see if we could wrinkle it up with some fast-paced flying around. We have plenty of speed, good hands, and great decision-making at the skill spots, but I don't really know what it takes to implement those kinds of plays and pace.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:16 pm
  • kearly wrote:
    Cartire wrote:My point was, he should have seen it, at least the timing, because he looked right first after the snap. Him looking to the left at that point, I dont consider blindsided, because he should have known that guys was coming. Im not saying its Wilsons fault on that one, as I think Breno could have stalled him a bit longer, but Wilson should have anticipated that hit, as he should have seen it coming.

I think you are partially correct so I won't argue. I've heard NFL coaches say that any sack that comes from the right side is on the QB (unless he's a lefty).

Giacomini did get owned on the play though. Wilson clearly did not expect pressure to arrive that soon.

I just got to stand up for my boy Giac. He gets far to much flak on this board, and I think a lot of it is assumed. He loses from time to time, but honestly, show me a RT that doesnt. Theres a few, but you cant leave your first hand before running out of names. And hes a bruiser, something that you just need to have on the line.
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:22 pm
  • Question I have for you soapbox....

When should we realistically expect Wilson to start to shift protections, identify where the pressure is coming from presnap, change the play, and beat teams with his mind instead of his legs?

Brady and Manning are not fleet of foot but are hard to sack because of what they do presnap.

Wilson must take this next step.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:52 pm
  • I'm just glad upon further review, by a highly intelligent poster, who has been doing game reviews for a while that the team didn't play as bad as it looked. No, it wasn't the best execution but given the circumstances, it wasn't all woe and catastrophe as some posters painted it out to be hitting their red alert buttons.

Good job, Kearly. Keep it up. One day you'll get paid for this.
    #11 is the Gatling Gun, coming at Ds in multiple, unpredictable ways spreading the field horizontally.

#10 is the Sniper Rifle, if you don't respect his deep field speed opposing DBs will end up in a pink mist.

#24 is the Boomstick, get in his way when you're the lone defender, I dare you.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:59 pm
  • bestfightstory wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:I say that because Kearse was able to leap vertically to get both hands on the ball whereas Williams had to stretch out horizontally and in the direction he was headed (ie overthrow albeit slight ie imperfect ie a bit short)

Agree to disagree, I suppose. -- thought both had an opportunity on decently placed bombs. Still expect both to be big play weapons throughout the season.

Agree with all of that! :thirishdrinkers:

I would have to watch it again but it seemed like Wilson held the ball a bit longer on the throw to Kearse and threw it more on a line rather than float it over. The Williams throw had more "touch" on it. Like I said, I need to watch it again but that's what I remember thinking in the moment. It looked like Wilson held a second longer and then put a little more on it while bring the trajectory down. Both throws were placed where only the WR had a play on the ball. That's the most important part. RW is just plain good. Period. Both Williams and Kearse will make plays this year.
    "Home of the Greatest Defense on planet Earth."
    Gametime
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:59 pm
  • kearly wrote:-Seattle's last drive was their best one. They looked very much like themselves on that drive, which began at their own 7 yard line and ate up nearly 6 minutes of game clock.

First of all thanks for the time and effort put into your breakdown. I appreciate it very much as I see many others on the board do.

Next, I'm used to looking at the offensive line as a unit. Particularly in zone blocking scheme it seems very difficult to conclude who is the weakest link in the chain. In my opinion, as a unit, the OL was miserable. Too much pressure, too soon on pass plays. No push or getting to the second level on running plays. Some claim that's because of how great the Panther front seven is, but I don't buy it. Our OL simply failed to make plays and do their job.

Finally, what changed in that final drive? Why couldn't they do that in any of the previous possessions?
    I have Seahawks swag older than any current Seahawks player.
    AK Seahawks Fan on Facebook
    AK Seahawks Fan on Twitter
    akseahawkfan
    * NET PITA *

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:20 pm
  • akseahawkfan wrote:
    Finally, what changed in that final drive? Why couldn't they do that in any of the previous possessions?

Only saw the drive once while fully inebriated, but looked like they were just taking what the defense was giving them instead of going for the intermediate or deep ball.

Also Carroll said this:

“We just didn’t get it done the way that we liked it,” Carroll said. “I contributed to that. So I’ve got to make sure that I help out and do the right things to help us, and get us on a track on what’s really important to us.

“We didn’t zero in early enough, where we could make the adjustments that we normally make. It just took us a while. At the end of the game, we were able to run the ball enough to make

the drives that we needed and things worked out. It just took us longer than we needed in that game in particular.”
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:19 pm
  • bigtrain21 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:I thought Sweezy looked bad in the 2nd level too, whiffed a couple of times. I saw the Carp whiff, it was pretty unathletic looking.

The Carp whiff wasn't really unathletic looking. He simply made no attempt to block the only guy really available. He just ran right by him. Kuechly didn't factor in the tackle but it was more of a head scratcher than unathletic.

If you have Game Rewind, two eyes in fair working condition, and solely focus on James Carpenter's play over the course of the game you can reach no other conclusion than...he was absolutely terrible. You can excuse his poor performance by blaming injury, conditioning, rust, whatever. But, there can be no excuse for his complete lack of effort.

+ There were a half dozen plays where he simply gives up and doesn't block anyone.
    + There were another half dozen plays where he tries to block someone and whiffs badly.
    + There were a number of plays that were completely blown to pieces directly due to Carp's laziness.

I am not sure that he won a single block the entire game, although he did finally get to the second level on Turbin's big run, and at least got a paw on 58. Most of the time he was combo blocking with Okung / Unger or reaching a stalemate with the DT who generally appeared to be loitering to guard against Wilson taking off.

Contrast his play with McQuistan who was active every snap he got, occasionally getting blocks on multiple defenders. Even the holding call on McQ came after he successfully blocked the defender for like 4 seconds while Russell held the ball forever which eventually caused penalties on both Okung and McQ. Yes, McQuistan will give some ground on running plays on occasion but he can at least block and pull and slide step and basically be an offensive guard. Carp can't.

Why is he out there? Can anyone, ANYONE, point me to a game where this guy has actually played well? Ever? Clearly we have an investment in him and the front Office wants some return but this is dismal. Maybe they are trying to work him into shape, but to what end? He is fat, slow and he routinely commits the cardinal sin on a Pete Carroll team: He does not compete. Enough already...
    "It was so loud Derrick Coleman heard it."
    Thunderhawk
    NET Starter

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:26 pm
  • The Seahawks are forcing their hand with Carpenter. They most likely want him in better condition, and the weather in Carolina was perfect to get him into the mix and knock off all that injury rust and get his body in motion.

The fact remains though, Carpenter will decide his fate, he'll either step up or he won't and will be replaced after this season.

The Seahawks are throwing him out their to see what he has, we'll see if he can stick or not.
    #11 is the Gatling Gun, coming at Ds in multiple, unpredictable ways spreading the field horizontally.

#10 is the Sniper Rifle, if you don't respect his deep field speed opposing DBs will end up in a pink mist.

#24 is the Boomstick, get in his way when you're the lone defender, I dare you.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:35 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information