With the SF game on the horizon, and Harbaugh still talking

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

• Is there anything dumber than punching a guy in the helmet? I know Harbs can't help himself, but Matthews would be rightly ridiculed for getting ejected if that happened.
    Sonichellboy
    NET Rookie

• The comments at the bottom are the best part.

"Scott Norwood jumped in to defend Kelly, but his punch missed to the right."
    5280Hawk
    NET Veteran

• My one issue with Harbaugh is that he is an Uber-Tough Guy now. I didn't hear him talking that much trash when he was a player. He played hard and was a really good competitor, but he wasn't a trash talking dimwit in the media. By all accounts he is a good leader and has always been one, way back to his childhood days.

The reason I don't like his trash is that it to me is like American League pitchers who talk trash and throw at batters, because they know they won't get retaliated at directly. They are putting their teammates at risk of a bean ball though.

Harbaugh's stuff gets under people's skin, and maybe it works, but one of these days it is going to backfire with an opponent or even one of his own players will pull a Latrell/PJ Carlesimo on him (you all remember the story....). I guess if it works, keep doing it, but he really just comes off as a jerk that is setting himself up for anything negative that happens to him. For him to call out opponents is funny I guess, but it can really backfire. I know that certain players are not interested in playing for that kind of guy (sure, he's still doing fine without them) and certain players of his could get hurt because of his big mouth. But so far so good apparently. More power to him I guess. I just don't see him backing it up and getting all Woody Hayes on anybody, but maybe he will, or his head will explode. One of the two.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• What a dork.
    cacksman
    NET Veteran

• He is such a strange guy. Most coaches wouldn't get caught up in the back and forth between teams but he can't seem to help himself. He has made SF that much easier to dislike.
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• I seriously wonder how he has avoided a stroke. Good God, man--get to anger management class before it's too late.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Any whiner fans gonna jump in here and defend this clown?

I didnt think so.

Harbaugh seems to have the maturity of an 11 year old boy.

And thats pushing it.
    Hawkpower
    NET Starter

• psychopath
    (Psychiatry) a person afflicted with a personality disorder characterized by a tendency to commit antisocial and sometimes violent acts and a failure to feel guilt for such acts Also called sociopath
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• I mean this with all sincerity.... I actually worry for his wife. He is a lunatic.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• Dude is competitive to an insane degree that it's actually hazardous to his health. Nearly gave himself a heart attack last year. Was told by docs to chill out. It's part of what makes him such a great coach, as well as what makes him so obnoxious.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

• tomahawk wrote:He is such a strange guy. Most coaches wouldn't get caught up in the back and forth between teams but he can't seem to help himself. He has made SF that much easier to dislike.

I have a stance on this (duh). My belief on this is that Harbaugh would like to stay away from the topic all together, but as Monday press conferences go, they discuss the previous game. With such a controversal series of events, it was unavoidable.
    JSeahawks wrote:We might as well rename this site Seahawks&49ers.net.
    60niners
    NET Rookie

• Our last coach dropped trou during halftime of a game, so Harbs is a step in the sane direction.

Love the guy.
    FrankTheTank21
    NET Bench Warmer

• I spent my youth as a Packer fan in Milwaukee and watched Harbaugh's entire career, college and pro. From a personality standpoint, he was the Danny Ainge of the NFL. Griity competitor but an ass kisser and a cry baby.

Harbaugh was an above avg talent, at best. No better than, uh... Alex Smith. He seldom took responsibility for the many losses the Bears suffered with him at point and was one of the least liked players in the league. Full blown narcissist, not right in the head and I won't be shocked when he ultimately dresses up as Batman and goes on a shooting spree through the tenderloin, before jumping off the GG bridge.

To be fair, also like Ainge, he's a better coach than I ever imagined such an asshat could possibly be.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• that does not even LOOK healthy. dude needs to be on meds.

muxpux
    NET Veteran

• Jim Harbaugh broke his hand while punching Jim Kelly.

Some time in the next 20 years there will be a Hollywood movie about his life. And it will probably be pretty good.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• As much as it pains me to credit him with any intelligence, I have a feeling most of his whingeing is for show. If the media spotlight is aiming at him, there's less pressure on the team.
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran

• Like moths to a flame. I know folks despise the guy, but it is his team and he can protect or champion their cause anyway he sees fit. But since he is a rival, what a Douche! Will be so glad when this fixation with all things 9ers goes away.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• BuddyRyans46 wrote:I thought you guys might find this story amusing! It is rivalry week for the 'Hawks, so I figured I would try to get the 12th man fired up! Enjoy!

http://deadspin.com/that-time-jim-harba ... 1279830622

This is the guy who is basically calling Mathews out for not being a man because he didn't 'punch' Joe in the helmet. :th2thumbs:
    Last edited by HawkMeat on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Opinion has caused more trouble on this little earth than plagues or earthquakes.
    -Voltaire
    HawkMeat
    NET Starter

• 60niners wrote:
    tomahawk wrote:He is such a strange guy. Most coaches wouldn't get caught up in the back and forth between teams but he can't seem to help himself. He has made SF that much easier to dislike.

I have a stance on this (duh). My belief on this is that Harbaugh would like to stay away from the topic all together, but as Monday press conferences go, they discuss the previous game. With such a controversal series of events, it was unavoidable.

I don't think he wants to stay away from the topic, he encourages it by talking about it. Just like he does before the weeks game by calling out the opposing team's defensive backs and the tight coverage. Fights happen in the NFL all the time. How many coaches go into a press and make a point to :stirthepot: ?

It is his personality, not the press. The press can ask all they want and a coach can avoid the topic by stating anything else. Meet Belicheck.
    Opinion has caused more trouble on this little earth than plagues or earthquakes.
    -Voltaire
    HawkMeat
    NET Starter

• HawkMeat wrote:
    60niners wrote:
    tomahawk wrote:He is such a strange guy. Most coaches wouldn't get caught up in the back and forth between teams but he can't seem to help himself. He has made SF that much easier to dislike.

I don't think he wants to stay away from the topic, he encourages it by talking about it. Just like he does before the weeks game by calling out the opposing team's defensive backs and the tight coverage. Fights happen in the NFL all the time. How many coaches go into a press and make a point to :stirthepot: ?

It is his personality, not the press. The press can ask all they want and a coach can avoid the topic by stating anything else. Meet Belicheck.

Agree.

I think there is a definite method to his madness. Many think (some just wish) this will come back on him/the team negatively... I guess only time will tell.

I think he got under Clays skin before the game. His QB took a shot for it but his team ended up winning regardless. Its very entertaining in a world full of dry personalities if nothing else.
    John_Redcorn
    NET Practice Squad

• What's interesting is how much calmer and cordial his brother John appears in comparison. The behavioral contrast is such that John almost resembles Pete Carroll more than he does his own brother Jim. I'm guessing something affected Jim during his growing-up years that didn't affect John, at least not as much. His over-the-top tantrums certainly isn't the byproduct of personality alone.
    February 2, 2014: The day Seahawks win their second Lombardi trophy
    (The first one is located back east somewhere.)
    Ruminator
    NET Starter

• There is nothing method about it. The guy is a Five Alarm Douche Recycling Unit. He is the product from years of Verbal abuse at the rage of Mike Ditka, was scrappy, but went into a tirade about everything as a player. All the expressions on his face? Those are the same ones from his playing days.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• loafoftatupu wrote:There is nothing method about it. The guy is a Five Alarm Douche Recycling Unit. He is the product from years of Verbal abuse at the rage of Mike Ditka, was scrappy, but went into a tirade about everything as a player. All the expressions on his face? Those are the same ones from his playing days.

I dont think that means hes not aware of how he looks or that hes not trying to gain some edge somehow. Yea, Harbs is wound tight as hell, but still very smart.
    John_Redcorn
    NET Practice Squad

• 24-8, yes, that is Jim Harbaugh's record as head coach.

You guys are making a lot out of a little.
    mretrade
    NET Starter

• I can't wait to see the sides of his mouth foam up this sunday...this will be sweet
    "Horse horse, did you see the size of that chicken?"
    TaterHawk
    NET Rookie

• John_Redcorn wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:There is nothing method about it. The guy is a Five Alarm Douche Recycling Unit. He is the product from years of Verbal abuse at the rage of Mike Ditka, was scrappy, but went into a tirade about everything as a player. All the expressions on his face? Those are the same ones from his playing days.

I dont think that means hes not aware of how he looks or that hes not trying to gain some edge somehow. Yea, Harbs is wound tight as hell, but still very smart.

Oh, I'm not saying he isn't smart, nor am I denying that he is a good coach. What I am saying is that long term hypertension can be the precursor to a health event.

Mix in the emotional trauma caused by Ditka? HarbaNuke is a time bomb.
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• mretrade wrote:24-8, yes, that is Jim Harbaugh's record as head coach.

No one said he's a bad coach
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• mretrade wrote:24-8, yes, that is Jim Harbaugh's record as head coach.

We are having fun with it, but I enjoy knowing that his worst loss took place at the hands of the team he meets this Sunday, in the very same place.
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• His worst loss was the superbowl. The Seahawks game ended up being very meaningless in the context of the season. It did not affect seedings. The superbowl loss will always be a blemish on his record.
    mretrade
    NET Starter

• I know nobody is gonna care...but what the hell...

You guys see what he's doing, right? You understand why he talks about this stuff.

Harbaugh uses the media. They fall for it every single time. When you are a really good team, you need an antagonist to keep the team up. Harbaugh makes it the media. He makes an issue out of stuff to draw attention to HIM, and not to his team. Last week he made a big deal about QB protections and where the protection began and ended in read option plays...and then they ran it like 3 times all game. Its misdirection.

If people are talking about how big a douche he is, they aren't talkig about a player on his team. He can't paint the picture of the media "being against them". Its really basic stuff. Walsh did the same thing.

Now, he's certainly more abrasive about how he does it, but its all intentional and he really doesn't care what the media thinks. He'll do anything to get "one mile an hour faster". If he thinks making a big deal out of Clay Matthews cheap shots will help his team in any concievable way, he'll do it.

Feel free to hate him (clearly you don't need my permisson), but it seems to me what he's doing is working...especially given some of the comments in this forum.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Hawkpower wrote:Harbaugh seems to have the maturity of an 11 year old boy.

And thats pushing it.

Yep, is pushing it. I have a 10 year old son and Henry is definitely more mature than Jim Harbaugh.

From my youth coaching experience, and my family, I'd put Jim at about age 6, at the end of a school day, having not had enough to eat and needing a nap besides...
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran

• muxpux wrote:that does not even LOOK healthy. dude needs to be on meds.

Seriously, cannot be good for his hemorrhoids...
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• loafoftatupu wrote:There is nothing method about it. The guy is a Five Alarm Douche Recycling Unit. He is the product from years of Verbal abuse at the rage of Mike Ditka, was scrappy, but went into a tirade about everything as a player. All the expressions on his face? Those are the same ones from his playing days.

:D

OK. Buy into that. No worries.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• mretrade wrote:His worst loss was the superbowl. The Seahawks game ended up being very meaningless in the context of the season. It did not affect seedings. The superbowl loss will always be a blemish on his record.

Emotionally? Absolutely. I was referring to the Scoreboard beating. It was his largest margin of failure. Not that it actually meant anything. Losing a Super Bowl has to be the worst for a coach who hasn't won one yet.

Of course, the Merry Massacre was his 49th Birthday, as coach of the 49'ers and if the Hawks just squeaked out one more drive, it would have been a very memorable 49th point.
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

You are 100% correct. I have no idea why some people seem to think he's some method actor, or something. My earlier post was apparently ignored as some posters continue to believe his antics are all part of some well conceived plan(!). I can only assume these are younger posters that have not watched this social misfit conduct himself like a complete a-hole over the past 30 years. I have, and it sounds like you have too. He was better when at UM, but Ditka's non-stop, public abuse turned him into the maniacal cretin we see today.

I know most of you still have our last victory over SF recorded. Dial it up and watch his post-game interview (if you have it). Then tell me there's nothing clinically wrong with this societal reject. Oh...someone said he broke his hand on Jim Kelly. I was not aware of this and I am pleasantly surprised. I never thought he had it in him.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:I know nobody is gonna care...but what the hell...

You guys see what he's doing, right? You understand why he talks about this stuff.

Harbaugh uses the media. They fall for it every single time. When you are a really good team, you need an antagonist to keep the team up. Harbaugh makes it the media. He makes an issue out of stuff to draw attention to HIM, and not to his team. Last week he made a big deal about QB protections and where the protection began and ended in read option plays...and then they ran it like 3 times all game. Its misdirection.

If people are talking about how big a douche he is, they aren't talkig about a player on his team. He can't paint the picture of the media "being against them". Its really basic stuff. Walsh did the same thing.

Now, he's certainly more abrasive about how he does it, but its all intentional and he really doesn't care what the media thinks. He'll do anything to get "one mile an hour faster". If he thinks making a big deal out of Clay Matthews cheap shots will help his team in any concievable way, he'll do it.

Feel free to hate him (clearly you don't need my permisson), but it seems to me what he's doing is working...especially given some of the comments in this forum.

This is just a bunch of gobble, gobble, gobble, turkey, from jive turkey gobblers.
    Jase
    NET Starter

• I laughed at the comment by poster "Skip Bayless I come at my QB with my d***..." And it went on from there :lol:
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Hawkpower wrote:Any whiner fans gonna jump in here and defend this clown?

I didnt think so.

And thats pushing it.

Still a better coach than cheerleader Carroll
    Punter
    NET Bench Warmer

• Punter wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:Any whiner fans gonna jump in here and defend this clown?

I didnt think so.

And thats pushing it.

Still a better coach than cheerleader Carroll

You're expecting to get bashed by us Hawk faithful...right? I won't bash you. In fact, it's hard to argue your point. At this time. But I believe time will also prove you to be (ultimately) wrong. Pete doesn't manipulate his players and he's not known as a whiney POS. The same can't be said for your hero. With that in mind...who would you want to play for? Who would you play harder for? Harbaugh needs to win now, before the implosion and exodus begins. Thus his obvious desperation.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Hawkpower wrote:Any whiner fans gonna jump in here and defend this clown?

I didnt think so.

And thats pushing it.

Ok, I typically stay away from these sort of topics and stay in NFL talk, but since you requested, I will oblige.

I love Harbaugh. He is extremely intelligent and everything he does has a motive behind it. He takes no s*** from nobody and supports his players no matter what. The greater percentage of people outside of the 49ers organization and fanbase dislike him. But guess what, the opinion of opposing fans means absolutely nothing and the opinion of opposing coaches means absolutely nothing. All that matters to him is the success of his team and the organization. He loves his players and his players love him.

I love his attitude and how he keeps the attention of the media on him instead of the players. The media is trying to get to Kap, but Harbaugh is keeping the attention on him.

His sideline antics show his passion. I wish I could find people as passionate about their job as he is about his. His reactions are extreme because he cares. He cares about his team and his players. If you have issues with that, than you have issues with yourself.
    "We're the 49ers, we can do whatever we want" - The Great Jim Harbaugh -
    Comeinpeace
    NET Rookie

• The ninnies trolls defending anything and everything critical about their team is amusing and sad at the same time.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Comeinpeace wrote:

I didnt think so.

And thats pushing it.

Ok, I typically stay away from these sort of topics and stay in NFL talk, but since you requested, I will oblige.

I love Harbaugh. He is extremely intelligent and everything he does has a motive behind it. He takes no s*** from nobody and supports his players no matter what. The greater percentage of people outside of the 49ers organization and fanbase dislike him. But guess what, the opinion of opposing fans means absolutely nothing and the opinion of opposing coaches means absolutely nothing. All that matters to him is the success of his team and the organization. He loves his players and his players love him.

I love his attitude and how he keeps the attention of the media on him instead of the players. The media is trying to get to Kap, but Harbaugh is keeping the attention on him.

His sideline antics show his passion. I wish I could find people as passionate about their job as he is about his. His reactions are extreme because he cares. He cares about his team and his players. If you have issues with that, than you have issues with yourself.

He takes sh*t from nobody? LMAO. As previously mentioned, Ditka, who could also be a pr*ck, treated him like a little girl and did so frequently AND publicly. You 9er fans are trying to portray him as something he is not. You had a "tough" coach that "took sh*t from nobody", including Ditka. You hired Harbaugh to replace him. I'm not saying that was a bad move, but Harbaugh is only "tough" when not facing confrontation. He's as devious, but no tougher, than Lane Kiffin.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:The ninnies trolls defending anything and everything critical about their team is amusing and sad at the same time.

I'm far from a troll. I like to have discussions with fans who support my team and with fans from our biggest rival. I live in Seattle, so I have more invested in this rivalry than most. I love talking friendly smack with my coworkers and friends and some people on this forum like Throwdown.

One of your other fans had a comment about no 49ers fan supporting their coach, so I gladly took him up on the offer. Nothing I said was troll. Everything I said was on topic and I didn't even say anything about the Seahawks. You guys/gals have an amazing team and if the 49ers make it out of Seattle with a "W" I will be surprised. Your stadium is the best home field advantage in the NFL, and if I expected the 49ers were going to go in there and stomp, I would be an idiot.
    Comeinpeace
    NET Rookie

• But your signature is troubling.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• HawkWow wrote:
    Comeinpeace wrote:
    He takes sh*t from nobody? LMAO. As previously mentioned, Ditka, who could also be a pr*ck, treated him like a little girl and did so frequently AND publicly. You 9er fans are trying to portray him as something he is not. You had a "tough" coach that "took sh*t from nobody", including Ditka. You hired Harbaugh to replace him. I'm not saying that was a bad move, but Harbaugh is only "tough" when not facing confrontation. He's as devious, but no tougher, than Lane Kiffin.

Is that the best you have? Referencing his interactions with his coach 20 years ago.... :laugh:

Are you the same person you were 20 years ago?
    Comeinpeace
    NET Rookie

• Comeinpeace wrote:

I didnt think so.

And thats pushing it.

This might be a candidate for delusional post of the year.

Harbaugh is passionate, and he has won for sure.

But if you think there is some kind of calculated method to his antics you are fooling yourself. He makes childish comments and acts like a 6 year old even when the media isnt listening.

The guy is a straight up douche, end of story.

Im sorry that hurts your feelings.
    Hawkpower
    NET Starter

• Comeinpeace wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:
    Comeinpeace wrote:

Is that the best you have? Referencing his interactions with his coach 20 years ago.... :laugh:

Are you the same person you were 20 years ago?

In the context we speak of here?
    Yes, I am absolutely the same person today that I was 20 years ago. Your question suggests you are not. Tell us about these changes you've made. Were you a Cowboy fan back then? Did you dress in drag? Did you put firecrackers in the butts of kittens? I suddenly find you much more interesting. Carry on.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• muxpux wrote:that does not even LOOK healthy. dude needs to be on meds.

that picture makes me think he probably viciously beats his wife, children, pets, parents, and grandparents.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

• FWIW, an old college buddy of mine is friends with former Bears FB Brad Muster. I am sure no one here remembers who Muster was, but he was a pretty damn good FB for several years in the late 80's/early 90's. Anyway, he was on the Bears when Harbaugh was the starting QB. He told my friend that a bunch of guys on the team (himself included) didn't care for Harbaugh. He said that he came off as a "Rudy on steriods/uber-competitive" jerk who was always getting into petty arguments/conflicts with people. Just as an example, he said that when Harbaugh would routinely play poker with the guys in the locker room. Whenever he lost, he would lose his mind, throwing the cards/chips, punching the table, throwing the chair he was sitting in against the wall, cursing like a mad man, etc. He said that most of the guys thought that he was kind of "touched" in the head. I am sure we all know someone like that. The uber-competitve jerk who feels the need to "coach people up" and "get in people's faces" when playing a "friendly" pick up basketball game. The type of guy who will proudly run over a catcher to score a run in a church/rec league over-40 softball game. The type of guy who instructs his 11-year old pitcher to throw at any batter who crowds the plate in a little league game, etc.
    The 46 Defense shall set you free.
    BuddyRyans46
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:47 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information