How/WHY did you become a Seahawks fan?!

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • When I was living with my parents as a teen in MA we would always pick the games from the Boston Globe's Sunday paper by their spreads; me, my sister, my Dad, and my Mom would all play. Well in 1998 season opening week the Seahawks were at Philadelphia to play the Eagles. If memory serves me correct the Eagles were favored to win the game, whether they were or they weren't my whole family picked the Eagles and I picked the Seahawks. Needless to say by the time the Monday night game was over that week of the 98 season, I had won by one point, difference maker being the 38-0 clobbering the Seahawks gave the Eagles. From then on they were my go to team for picking games and while doing this became a fan wanting them to win every week. Eventually it ramped up to where they became an equal favorite of my other team, the Patriots. Nowadays it seems I'm more into the Seahawks than the Pats now that I live in NC but still a fan of both teams for sure.
    EmonacoZ71
    NET Bench Warmer

• Donn2390 wrote:I have been in Seattle one time in my life, that being an hour layover at seatac between flights. I believe that qualifies me as a Seattle native..!
    Actually I'm from So Calif and a very long time USC fan, so I became a Hawk fan when Pete left us for Seattle. I was a many year Rams season ticket holder, but after being abandoned by Georgia, I was lost and floating in an empty sea, looking for a new love. Seattle provided me with the opportunity to enjoy football again, watching Pete take a bunch of rag tags and slowly turn them into winners... It has been fun watching the haters and naysayers slowly becoming Pete Carroll fans, after years of hating him for what he did to Cougars and Huskies.
    Looking forward to a great season. GO HAWKS..!!

Hey I'm not the only one!
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• My grandpa was a rabid fan; born and raised in Seattle area. Been a fan ever since.
    Fox0r
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• Born and raised in Toronto but became a Seahawks fan as a 10 year old after they won me a football pool at my mom's work :)
    905Hawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• because it was fate
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• I moved to Seattle 6 years ago from Honolulu and at the time was not much of a football fan. All my heroes growing up were surfers. A friend of mine gave me some advice before we moved here. He told me that if I didn't start getting behind football I wasn't going to have any friends. I think the second year I was here my buddy Joe took me to my first game and I have been hooked ever since.
    I have to tell you, going to my first NFL game was a real eye opener. Walking through the Pioneer Square area towards the stadium and all the people with their jerseys on were headed in the same direction and coming out of bars and yelling encouragement. We all gradually converged into one mass of people with a common goal. In the distance I could hear Blue Thunder ( I didn't know who it was at the time). We came around a corner and there was the stadium and it was a clouds-parting-choir-of-angels moment. I started to get it right then. I don't remember who we played or if we won or lost but damnit was fun.
    Lanakila
    NET Practice Squad

• Moved around a bit. Born in Cincinnati, Ohio....lived in Richmond, Virginia for some time. Spent 3 years at NC State, one at Wisconsin. Ended up moving out here last year for work last year. Been a fan ever since.

GO HAWKS!
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• T-Sizzle....why aren't you a Ravens fan?!!!!
    The 46 Defense shall set you free.
    BuddyRyans46
    NET Rookie

• I was born and raised here in Seattle and my Dad used to take me to Seahawks game in the Kingdome when I was growing up. My best friend next door was in the same boat as I was so we went to a lot of games as kids. We are now multi year STHs!
    ETERNAL BLUE FOREVER GREEN
    Siihawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• I was always a huge Alabama fan growing up.. never really cared for the NFL including the hometown Falcons (I actually have always hated them). However, my favorite Alabama player of all-time was Shaun Alexander and naturally I followed his career to Seattle and over the first couple of years I found myself falling in love with the team itself and now I consider myself just as much a Seahawk fan as I am an Alabama fan.

Go Hawks!
    legsbrah
    NET Bench Warmer

• T-Sizzle wrote:Moved around a bit. Born in Cincinnati, Ohio....lived in Richmond, Virginia for some time. Spent 3 years at NC State, one at Wisconsin. Ended up moving out here last year for work last year. Been a fan ever since.

GO HAWKS!

I knew you were Russell Wilson!
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I have been a life long fan. The Seahawks and I were born the same year and our bond has only solidified through the years. In 1987 a friend, my bother and I stood on the picket line at Seahawk Headquarters in support of our players. In 1990 I got my first job at a car wash (recently closed) on Central Way in Kirkland, WA. At the car wash it was my job to hand wash and wax 7-9 players cars before home games for a 2-3 year span. These early and impressionable memories have made a life long fan. Like all of you tomorrow can not come soon enough.
    VinoHawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• was an army brat. family was stationed at ft lewis back in 81-83. i was only 8 when we moved there but the place (the area, the state) left a mark on me. still miss it as if i'd lived there for 20 years. Remember so much of it vividly. Lived in tacoma for a few months when we first got there... an apartment complex on 96th street called woodmark apartments (was called fountain courts back then). Went to Christensen Elementary school for a bit and then transferred to Tillicum Elem when we moved to military housing on Ft Lewis. Anyway... it was then that it happened that one of my dad's good friends was a cousin of Kenny Easley. He had tickets to a game and offered to take me (my dad couldn't go because of work). Part of the deal was that we'd get to go to dinner with Kenny after the game.

October 18, 1981. The experience was awesome and one that i'll never forget... even though we lost to the Giants that day, 32-0. I was mesmerized; the crowd chanting 'Go... Sea-Hawks', the sounds of the game, zorn, largent, warner, nash, greene... all of the old stalwarts on the field. I fell in love with the team that day and have been about as hardcore a fan as one can be since then. As for meeting Kenny, we waited at the player's exit for about an hour after the end of the game but Kenny didnt show. Turned out later that he was pretty dinged up (probably as much emotionally as he was physically after losing the way they did) and stayed in the locker room long after for treatment. I was soooo disappointed. But even though i never did get a chance to meet him, he became my favorite seahawk (and still is, along with C Warner). Cant imagine EVER rooting for another team.

Go Hawks!
    keasley45
    NET Practice Squad

• I've talked about this before, but my family and I moved to Washington in 1977. I became pretty much a die hard Seattle fan by about 1980, as my dad and I would always watch Hawks football together on Sundays. We still talk Hawks whenever we get together. The Seahawks had this amazing receiver with fly paper hands who was an absolute black hole for footballs -- they always seemed to be getting sucked towards him. Maybe you've heard of him, Steve Largent. :P I very quickly became enamored with Largent, Zorn, Jacob Green, and later on Easley, Curt Warner, etc.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Born and raised within 5 miles of the stadium.
    My Grandpa bought me a Seahawks 'lettermans' jacket '76, and a cool kids tshirt I wore like everyday in 1977-78-ish through kindergarten and elementary school.

Essentially, it was destiny from Day1. :D

Go Hawks!
    :th2thumbs:
    kigenzun
    NET Starter

• Hi all

UK fan of the Seahawks since mid 80s - NFL started to be televised about then over here and most of my buddies were supporting teams who were on TV the most (Cowboys, Dolphins, Raiders etc); I wanted to support a different team and decided on Seattle! Been an up and down 30 years or so but overall it was a great pick. Going to make it to a game one day....

Kev
    kev007
    NET Practice Squad

• Aros wrote:I was looking through the JCPenney Christmas catalog in 1975 and noticed the Seahawks helmet, logo and colors and was instantly no longer a Vikings fan. (Had the Ahmad Rashad jersey to prove it. Just liked the purple and white Nike-looking logo...I was 6, give me a break!) When I found out they were MY hometown team I knew it was a match made in heaven. Destiny!

I thank them for my annual heart palpitations ever since.

Hey, Ahmad Rashad went to Mt. Tahoma high School.
    You were getting closer. You just didn't know it.

edit: Well, Bobby Moore went to Mt. Tahoma.
    GET YOUR EAR PLUGS READY!!!
    DROPPIN' THE NOISE HAMMER AT THE SOUTH ALASKA INSANE ASYLUM
    TheHawkster
    * NET Bad Ass *

• Lanakila wrote:I moved to Seattle 6 years ago from Honolulu and at the time was not much of a football fan. All my heroes growing up were surfers. A friend of mine gave me some advice before we moved here. He told me that if I didn't start getting behind football I wasn't going to have any friends. I think the second year I was here my buddy Joe took me to my first game and I have been hooked ever since.
    I have to tell you, going to my first NFL game was a real eye opener. Walking through the Pioneer Square area towards the stadium and all the people with their jerseys on were headed in the same direction and coming out of bars and yelling encouragement. We all gradually converged into one mass of people with a common goal. In the distance I could hear Blue Thunder ( I didn't know who it was at the time). We came around a corner and there was the stadium and it was a clouds-parting-choir-of-angels moment. I started to get it right then. I don't remember who we played or if we won or lost but damnit was fun.

That's a great story :)
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran

• From Toronto, Canada. Was a huge Griffey jr. Fan as a kid and got into football around the same time. Decided to follow and cheer for them ever since. I love the hawks and I'm dying to travel to Seattle to watch a game with the 12th man. Was at the game in Toronto last year against the bills. I was surrounded by Bills fans and stood up for my team and cheered till I lost my voice. This is my first post and I'm happy to join the forum.
    #hawks
    Seahawkstoronto
    NET Bench Warmer

• Born in LA and left the same year both those sorry franchises did too. Started following Hawks as being in Spoke the is the local team. Been hooked since.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Never became a Hawk fan, was born one. Will die one.
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

• Always played as them on Madden, and I loved their Defense. Then when I found I was similar in height to Russell, I decided it was a match made in heaven :P
    Out of Northern Ireland - Go Hawks!
    conman14
    NET Bench Warmer

• JSeahawks wrote:Born and raised in Portland. The "local" teams that we usually got to choose from on TV were the Raiders, 49ers or Seahawks. So obviously it was an easy choice. Steve Largent, Kenny Easley, Curt Warner and guys like that just made the choice easier.

Me too (it is where I was when they took the field that first time) We always had the Niners/Raiders and that was when the Niners truly sucked while the Raiders were winning. The Steeler games always made it too in the morning.

I chose the Hawks immediately when I saw those unis. Against the family history and wishes. I take pride in that choice I made. Not a lot of us had that option. They were born into it or became Seahawk fans. I was all in from the beginning.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• I think this was asked once before. I became a Hawk fan in 1977, thereby missing by one stinking year being able to brag that I've "been here from the start." And, truth be told, I started watching football that year because that was the year CBS decided to no longer broadcast hockey!

'Course, now I'm "all in."
    Terry
    (The Lurker)
    tdlabrie
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Great reading everyone's responses. I grew up in Dallas, and like all the other local lemmings became a Cowboys fan. While attending Texas A&M (Whoop)! I happened to see a Seahawks game where they had some trick plays (could be the one you remember OLYhawks). Well! Certainly never saw the Cowpokes do anything like that! I would then seek them out, but alas not much coverage for the Hawks down South. So without any significant coverage or internet I turned to the old Street & Smiths guide to get familiar with the team. I remember reading it out by the pool during the preseason.

With my interested piqued, I started to tire of the Cowboys - and mostly their fans. Even had Season tickets one year which was the last nail. Cowboy fans aren't really interested in seeing the game as much as they are interested in being seen. I was at that TGiving game Starrman44, and walked down to behind the Hawks bench yelling "Daaaaaave Krieeeeeg...." I just wanted some fan acknowledgment - the trainer took pity and was fixin' to get him then durn it the offense was headed to the field. I did make it to a game in MN and was out there for warm up - and yelled "Gig 'em" to Jacob Green and got a thumbs up across the field!

I've been to several road games (and have seen them win every time!) but NEVER to Seattle. Finally making my pilgrimage to Mecca next week for the JAX game. My interest waned during the 90's + but with the Sunday Ticket and availability of info on the net I'm back to being the typical obsessed fan. I never meet any other Hawks fans, and with a big 'ole Hawks sticker on the back of my SUV I used to get strange looks - not so much any more!
    "On third down, stop lookin' around"
    "Who ya gonna throw it to?"
    "This guy!"
    2ndRowSista
    NET Bench Warmer

• My folks bought season tickets in 1976 for the inaugural season, and I proceeded to attend every home game the Kingdome ever saw. Sec. 117, Row 7, seats 1,2 and 3. 38 years now and counting and will never ever, be anything but, a lifelong Seahawk Fan!
    Twitter: @NWSeahawk
    impacthawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Masochist
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:56 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information