How/WHY did you become a Seahawks fan?!

BuddyRyans46

Reaction score
Seemed like an interesting topic to discuss while we wait for our Hawks to lay waste to Cammy and the Carolina Kitties. Did you become a 'Hawks fan because your father was a die-hard Hawk? Or did you become one simply because you grew up in the shadow of the Kingdome? Or maybe you just became a Seahawks fan because of their uniforms/logo? Or because you always wanted to grow up to be just like Jim Zorn? So why did YOU (that's right, I'm talking to YOU) become a Seahawks fan? What's YOUR Seahawks story? I know a guy who was born and raised in upstate SC, yet who has pulled for the Hawks from the time he was a little kid. I think it was because he liked their uniforms the first time he saw them on TV. You know the old silver/white/green/blue ones. Anyway, he has been a Hawks fan ever since.

I am just curious because I grew up in the shadow of Giants Stadium in Northern NJ, yet I have been a die-hard Chicago Bears fan since I was knee high to a garbage can. :0190l:

OP
OP
BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46

Reaction score
I appreciate the response, and no offense and all Roland, but that's kinda boring... :(

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I moved to Woodinville from Boston in 1977, right after the Seahawks first season. The first football team I was on was the "Junior Seahawks". We got to practice in the Kingdome before a Hawks game, and got to meet Sherman Smith, Jim Zorn, Steve August and a few others... and I was hooked.

Born in Kansas...actually started out (briefly) as a Chiefs fan. My Dad took me to Arrowhead Stadium for my first NFL game when Len Dawson was still playing.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Born and raised in Alaska. My first year really watching football, was the year before the Seahawks came into existence as a franchise. The moment I'd heard that there was this new team in Seattle, I knew they were going to be my team and they have been ever since

hedgehawk

Reaction score
Born and raised in Seattle. Dad tried to make me a Rams fan because he grew up in Los Angeles, but it just didn't fly. Had to pick my own team and who else would I choose. Loved the old uni's as a kid too.

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
Seahawks game was the first NFL game I saw since I arrived in United States. I believe it was against Cowboys, so I just picked Seattle as my team.

dbmack

Reaction score
Born, raised and still live in the same town in WA. I have been a Seahawks fan since they first came into the league. I have always been a football fan, back to when I watched games on tv with my Dad, before Seattle even had a team. He patiently explained all the rules and the one that sticks in my mind is him explaining the 4 downs to me. Once I got that, the game clicked in my head.

kinesmajor

Reaction score
Born and raised in Bellingham Washington. I remember in elementary school the police would come by and hand out Seahawks cards in the early eighties. Still have them and have been a fan ever since.

Live in Los Angeles now and it's great seeing 'hawks fans out and about these days.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was looking through the JCPenney Christmas catalog in 1975 and noticed the Seahawks helmet, logo and colors and was instantly no longer a Vikings fan. (Had the Ahmad Rashad jersey to prove it. Just liked the purple and white Nike-looking logo...I was 6, give me a break!) When I found out they were MY hometown team I knew it was a match made in heaven. Destiny!

I thank them for my annual heart palpitations ever since.

OP
OP
BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46

Reaction score
Largent80":23e8j4i9 said:
Because the Bears suck. Boring, but true.

Tread lightly, chubs. :0190l: :0190l: :0190l:

For all of those Hawks fans who have responded with their own, unique stories: Thanks. Let's keep them coming, guys. Fun topic to discuss while we count down the tedious hours till kickoff!

TwilightError

Reaction score
I just always wanted to visit Seattle. Now more than ever...

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
Born in Colorado but moved to Seattle area when I was 2. Grew up without a father figure so the violence of football appealed to me. Never was particularly athletic so I rooted first for the Sonics, as I could understand the game at an early age, then more Mariners and Hawks. Now I root for the Hawks first and foremost and the Ms second, despite logic telling me to do otherwise.

I always felt like the reward of a championship season would be so much greater if I had stuck with and defended my teams, rather than selling out for the flavor of the day ie; raiders/Yankees etc. I fully anticipate that the first Lombardi we earn will be among the most poignant moments of my life.

And I hope that I don't die before the Mariners win the WS.

OP
OP
BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46

Reaction score
hahaha, it sounds like my buddy isn't the only person who loved the old colour silver/green/blue/white colour scheme. Some pretty good/interesting responses thus far, fellas. I know how it feels to be an out of area fan, 'cause people always look at me funny when I tell them how/why I became a Bears fan, in spite of the fact that I grew up in Giants/Jets territory.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
Started watching nfl about five years ago or so, liked it and needed a team. Obviously I have no local team to support, so stuck on Madden07, set up a game and clicked the random team button, up popped the Hawks and have followed em since!

OP
OP
BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46

Reaction score
meganman, thanks for your post. Are there many Hawks fans in Dallas or are you the only one rep'ing the 12th man down on the DFW area?! Just curious.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Born and raised in Portland. The "local" teams that we usually got to choose from on TV were the Raiders, 49ers or Seahawks. So obviously it was an easy choice. Steve Largent, Kenny Easley, Curt Warner and guys like that just made the choice easier.