Who on our cut list is the most tradable asset?

cberg

Reaction score
I think the FO is trying to trade some of these good players that we have to cut before we cut them. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we were able to do it either. Who could you see being the most likely to fetch a pick or player?

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I think Guy. DBs are always a premium and he is a big hitter too.

Think about it with the amount of QB injuries, Quinn may have a fair amount of interest. Cheap contract , limited duration. If you need a guy for a year (NYJ &BUF)
and want to make sure you get him would you give a 7th? I think I would.

Cartire

Reaction score
Guy, Lane, Maragos (I dont like this one, but I believe it to be true).

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Do teams ever really make trades right before the cut down? I feel like all this talk of getting value out of players we're just going to cut anyway is kinda homer talk

pehawk

Reaction score
The Patriots may bite on a cheap TE. They made some odd cuts today. Unless playing Tebow at TE isn't just a rumor?

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":89f5b7ps said:
My sources have indicated to me that no trades will be made prior to the cut down.

Yeah trades pretty much never happen during these times.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Had to share this and a good spot I think

duzapa3a.jpg

jlwaters1

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2rcew1to said:
Do teams ever really make trades right before the cut down? I feel like all this talk of getting value out of players we're just going to cut anyway is kinda homer talk

I don't think so. Say a player that's good is going to get cut and a team low on the waiver wire order wants that player.

They could trade for him and guarantee to get that player or run the risk of him getting claimed by a team ahead of them.

There may be a few players in that category.

But I think a trade is remote in any case.

sutz

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":3ivj3ojo said:
Tech Worlds":3ivj3ojo said:
My sources have indicated to me that no trades will be made prior to the cut down.

Yeah trades pretty much never happen during these times.
On a rare occasion, a team will make a trade if they think a coveted player will not be available to them in FA for some reason, but yeah, it's really rare. It'd be nice if we could pick up a late round draft pick or two, but you certainly can't count on that.

These are, after all, players that didn't make the roster. :229031_shrug:

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Mayeb Thurmond and Maxwell, starter quality buried in the depth chart here.

Sorry misread, obviously those are 2 players not getting cut, but two who could have other teams interested in, to trade for.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
cberg":3o0c3asl said:
I think the FO is trying to trade some of these good players that we have to cut before we cut them. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we were able to do it either. Who could you see being the most likely to fetch a pick or player?

Why would another team trade for a player that's about to be cut?

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
jlwaters1":18uie254 said:
therealjohncarlson":18uie254 said:

I don't think so. Say a player that's good is going to get cut and a team low on the waiver wire order wants that player.

They could trade for him and guarantee to get that player or run the risk of him getting claimed by a team ahead of them.

There may be a few players in that category.

But I think a trade is remote in any case.

This would be the only scenario I could think of for someone wanting to do a trade and they also would pretty much have to be in desperation mode for that position. Being so close to the season opener, it would be difficult to see how the player fits into the team and if it doesn't pan out, they basically wasted a roster spot. The key thing is though, teams aren't going to be willing to trade draft picks for roster cuts during the trimdown time, and pretty much will only trade player for player. The Hawks really don't need any more players outside of depth and they're already having a hard time trimming the roster down to 53 as is, so I don't see a trade likely.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":gxmvy2v2 said:
cberg":gxmvy2v2 said:

If it is a player that multiple teams are interested in, and you are a crappy team with no chance of a player wanting to play for you (ie. Buffalo)...then maybe you take a shot on a bargain trade that allows you to get the player without competing for his services.

It doesn't happen much, but it is not completely unheard of.

sutz

Reaction score
Do cuts at this time even go on the waiver wire? I was of the impression that most, if not all, final cuts are UFAs. Certainly, anybody that was UDFA, thus not drafted, would not be subject to waivers.

The only thing the 'Hawks would want in this unlikely scenario would be draft picks for next year. Waht we would get would probably be 7's anyway. Useful, of course, but not top value.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Winston Guy has zero trade value. He's yet to prove himself in a regular season game and has a PED suspension on his record, and the fact that he'd be available in trade would imply that the team which drafted him a year ago is already done with him. You wouldn't get a ripped Dave Valle baseball card in trade for Winston Guy.

@cro

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3et8ps6d said:
cberg":3et8ps6d said:

Because it may not cost them anything. You trade one player who's going to be cut for another that's going to be cut.
They get who they want, and we are assured the ninners don't pick him up.
eg. Stephen Williams.