My "Pre Kearly" Post Game Thoughts

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I've learned that what you might think is or is not true really has little bearing on the reality of the situation compared to someone who not only will break down each play of each game with the patience and microscope of a quantum physicist, but will also bring a level of X's and O's command that dorks like me will never obtain.

Having said that, here goes nothing!

Who made the roster tonight in my eyes (through performance or by default)...

Bradford. Well, duh. Mayowa, Maxwell, Michael, Schofield, Williams, Willson. (Kearly can fill out the rest).

Who may be working at Burger King after tonight...

Chris Harper and Mike Person. Harper still has potential but sometimes in life you get one shot on the big stage and tonight was his one shot on the big stage and he blew it. That drop in the endzone was inexcusable. It's only excusable if I had dropped that perfect pass from TJack. Not someone trying to make the roster as a 4th round pick.

Biggest surprise...

Tarvaris Jackson. Good lordy, what has gotten into this man? His passes are crisp, decision making is sharp, his movements are almost Vick-like circa pre jail time...What am I looking at here?!?

First Name Russell...

I was SO glad to see Russell look like Russell on that opening drive. While not perfect, he was more the man we hope and expect to see on opening day in Carolina. Decisive, commanding, efficient, elusive...

My Stud Award...

Walter Freaking Thurmund. Goodness. Now here's a cat who would be a star #1 CB on most other teams in the NFL. We are #blessedtohaveThurmund. Runner up: Kearse!

MrCarey

Reaction score
My pre-Kearly game thoughts are "god damnit, kearly, speed it up!!!!"

But yeah, Bradford got high praise from Earl. That was awesome. Mayowa had some dumb penalties, but he was hungry. He's making the cut. Williams, even with a concussion, is making this team. Well beyond satisfactory. I love his willingness to go up for the ball and always bring it down. Larry taught him well.

Also, I am so glad you praised T Jack. I love that man as a backup, and he is EXACTLY what you want at that position. He can manage this system perfectly if need be, and he is healthy now. A year off in Buffalo, fully healed, he'd be a starter elsewhere.

Annnnnnd, Thurm is a monster. Been sayin' it, been said it, been lovin' it. He is amazing.

kigenzun

Reaction score
Aros,
So glad to see your optimistic psyche is intact and injury free following the final preseason game.
A pleasant improvement over last week wouldn't you say?

And your analysis is on the money.
I enjoyed watching Luke Willson playing his way(legitimately) onto the team, while Cooper Helfet dashed his hopes (like Harper) with a couple of key drops.

Personally, I would keep Miller, Willson, and Fells (who excelled in an expanded role tonight), for 3 unique options at TE, but alas, it looks as if they are saving McScruff and opting Fells for the waiver wire, and hopefully/ideally the practice squad destination for an extra year of seasoning.

Dreadbelch

Reaction score
There's no one on the Seahawks roster named Walter Thurmund. Kearly would never make this mistake.

Just messin around. I hope Harper sneaks onto the PS. I'm excited that Schofield is stepping up big for us.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Dreadbelch":fetlhatx said:
There's no one on the Seahawks roster named Walter Thurmund. Kearly would never make this mistake.

SEE WHAT I MEAN?!!?!?

:34853_doh:

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
kigenzun":qx2vo0sj said:
Aros, So glad to see your optimistic psyche is intact and injury free following the final preseason game. A pleasant improvement over last week wouldn't you say?

I would say indeed! I only screamed at the TV and scared my 7-year-old daughter twice! Talk about improvement! :lol:

All kidding aside, there was little to bitch about this game. The starters did what we hoped, as did the second stringers for the most part. The third and fourth stringer fought for their lives and for the most part gave good effort, comPETEing throughout.

All that matters now is a W in Carolina in 10 days.

Jac

Reaction score
I'm really happy for Tarvaris Jackson. He's taken nothing but grief since entering the league. It's like he's finally found a place/role where he's comfortable and at "peace", while being considered a valued contributor by the team. I'm not sure if he still wants to be a starter somewhere (I guess they all do at some level), but guys that "aren't quite starters" can carve out nearly two-decade careers as valuable backup QBs (see Rex Grossman).

McGruff

Reaction score
Fells reminds me of McCoy. Big lumbering goat of a man who makes plays ugly, but still makes plays. There's no room for him on the 53, but if a 27 year old rookie has potential, he's that guy.

The other guy who impressed but won't make the team is Brian Walters. Really liked that kids courage in traffic and reliability.

grizbob

Reaction score
Largent80":32llftmz said:
I enjoyed watching Fells out there. Huge dude.

Ditto dude, couldn't help but think his name should be Falls for 1st down, cause when he falls it's for another 3 or 4 yards :D

McGruff

Reaction score
Oh, and while I really appreciate Kearly, I'm tired of people apologizing for not being Kearly. It's a fan site. We're all equals and all input should be valued equally.

Unless its stupid.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Does anybody think that we trade Quinn, any thoughts here? I think there's some descent value there. He did well last night

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawknight":g46mp2sq said:
Does anybody think that we trade Quinn, any thoughts here? I think there's some descent value there. He did well last night

Three teams could use Quinn rit now . . . The Bills, Raiders and Jets . . . All are near the front of the waiver wire.

I guess one of them could offer a 7th to beat the other two, but I doubt it. It's really late to acclimate a QB to a new coaching staff, team and system, and expect anything out of him any different than Jeff Tuel can give you after six months with a team.

Hawknight

Reaction score
McGruff":3uidjvsf said:
Hawknight":3uidjvsf said:

Three teams could use Quinn rit now . . . The Bills, Raiders and Jets . . . All are near the front of the waiver wire.

I guess one of them could offer a 7th to beat the other two, but I doubt it. It's really late to acclimate a QB to a new coaching staff, team and system, and expect anything out of him any different than Jeff Tuel can give you after six months with a team.

As much as I like Flynn, I think the Raiders are desperate right now and might just do that. :D

Uffda

Reaction score
I thought Walters had a good game, he sort of reminds me for Stokely abit.

Really doubt Brooks will clear waviers if they go that way with him.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Soooo jacked about Haushcka's game last night. If I saw Pete punt from inside the opponents 35 one more time and then watch a Jon Ryan touchback, I think I'd shoot myself. I don't know if or how he developed a leg over the offseason, but weird how they had so little confidence in him on 50yd+ kicks last year and now this year he's nailing them with room to spare.

Chris Harper looked terrible and I'm now impartial to him making the team. Yes he's a 4th rounder but we have maybe the most depth in the NFL this year, so things will happen that rarely don't. Ie, 4th rounder getting axed

Robert Turbin has looked pretty bad all preseason. Hasn't showed much explosion or ability to break tackles. If CM33 didn't have only 15 yds on 13 carries last night the entire 12th Man would be calling for CM33 to be the backup

Can't believe how good T-Jack has looked. I myself ripped him on here earlier this summer and now am EXTREMELY comfortable with him being the backup, to the point I could see us being a 9-7 team with him over a full year

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Good point about T-Jack. Jackson impressed me with his improvement last night. One of my biggest criticisms about him was he was afraid to throw to covered receivers. He showed that he is overcoming that. He threw a few passes to receivers who had Raiders draped over them. One was a nice zip to Harper between two Raider defenders. Nice to see. I'm much more comfortable having T-Jack as the backup now than I was before the preseason started. He has earned that spot.

mikeak

Reaction score
We should let the Raiders pay the rest of Flynn's salary and then trade Quinn for Flynn and a fifth rounder.........:)