Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:47 am
  • formido wrote:
    Seahwkgal wrote:We shouldn't be. Carolina is a much better team now than the one we faced last season. We have key players that will/might not play. The oddsmakers are dumb here. JMO.


    Russell Wilson is now 20-5 against the spread, including preseason and postseason. They are probably being dumb here, but in the other direction. ;)



    ETA: I'm an idiot.
    User avatar
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 815
    Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:38 am


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:13 am
  • Well, I hope you all are right. Really. I am just worried about our weaknesses on the D-line, O-Line, and various injuries/suspensions(MRob, Carp, Clemons, Bennett, Irvin, Avril). Also, paper tigers or not, I see more talent on Carolina's squad(other than RB) than others here. I am not the only one who feels this way either.
    This is a crucial game IMO. With our upcoming schedule, we need all the wins we can get. If we win this, I don't care if it's by 1 point or 20. Wins all count the same.
    User avatar
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 2513
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:27 pm


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:21 am
  • I wouldn't be shocked if they laid an egg for a few reasons:
    1. Extreme heat and humidity
    2. D line injuries against a team that can really run it
    3. 10am start
    4. Possibility of the typical Carroll era bad start to a game that they can't recover from because they aren't in top form yet

    That said, when healthy, the hawks clearly SHOULD be able to handle a team like the panthers, so hopefully they do what they need to do and bludgeon them.
    User avatar
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2494
    Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:26 am
  • This sounds eerily like the Arizona game on the road to open last season, sure, but a couple things:

    1. This year's first game Russell Wilson is not last year's first game Russell Wilson.

    2. This team has shown time and again they can come back even down against a good team.

    3. We're worried about how the team's looked in preseason, when they haven't played half the starters who should be fine for game one.

    It's okay to be worried. If the 'Hawks should win this one, let them step up and show they can. It may be an ugly win, but they should be able to get the job done.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18816
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:30 am
  • Gotta pound the rock all...fricken....day
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2930
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:34 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:This sounds eerily like the Arizona game on the road to open last season, sure, but a couple things:

    1. This year's first game Russell Wilson is not last year's first game Russell Wilson.

    2. This team has shown time and again they can come back even down against a good team.

    3. We're worried about how the team's looked in preseason, when they haven't played half the starters who should be fine for game one.

    It's okay to be worried. If the 'Hawks should win this one, let them step up and show they can. It may be an ugly win, but they should be able to get the job done.


    Can't argue with a thing, but to quote Chuck Knox, the only thing ugly in football is losing :th2thumbs:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    User avatar
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 2336
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:17 am
    Location: Born in Oakharbor, raised in the west, sentenced to life in St George


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:43 am
  • grizbob wrote:Can't argue with a thing, but to quote Chuck Knox, the only thing ugly in football is losing :th2thumbs:


    Yep! Concur; with the caveat that "losing" also includes losing key players, a la a Pyrrhic victory.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18816
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:50 am
  • Missing_Clink wrote:I wouldn't be shocked if they laid an egg for a few reasons:
    1. Extreme heat and humidity
    2. D line injuries against a team that can really run it
    3. 10am start
    4. Possibility of the typical Carroll era bad start to a game that they can't recover from because they aren't in top form yet

    That said, when healthy, the hawks clearly SHOULD be able to handle a team like the panthers, so hopefully they do what they need to do and bludgeon them.

    Sadly, I agree with this. Carolina is going to be TOUGH. And I have a feeling Seattle is going to get off to a slow start, trying to find thier way. Remember, not how you start, it's how you finish and that might be the theme this season.
    hawk79
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:41 am


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:53 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    grizbob wrote:Can't argue with a thing, but to quote Chuck Knox, the only thing ugly in football is losing :th2thumbs:


    Yep! Concur; with the caveat that "losing" also includes losing key players, a la a Pyrrhic victory.


    :white_flag: had to dust off the dictionary :180670:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    User avatar
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 2336
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:17 am
    Location: Born in Oakharbor, raised in the west, sentenced to life in St George


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:07 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:This sounds eerily like the Arizona game on the road to open last season, sure, but a couple things:

    1. This year's first game Russell Wilson is not last year's first game Russell Wilson.

    2. This team has shown time and again they can come back even down against a good team.

    3. We're worried about how the team's looked in preseason, when they haven't played half the starters who should be fine for game one.

    It's okay to be worried. If the 'Hawks should win this one, let them step up and show they can. It may be an ugly win, but they should be able to get the job done.



    Feels more like Miami to me. I hope Seattle doesn't get too conservative thinking they can win that way.
    CornerHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 105
    Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:04 am


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:08 am
  • hawk79 wrote:And I have a feeling Seattle is going to get off to a slow start, trying to find thier way.


    We had a very slow start in a LOT of games last year, I hope that theme doesn't continue.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26427
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:17 am
  • +1
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2930
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:23 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    hawk79 wrote:And I have a feeling Seattle is going to get off to a slow start, trying to find thier way.


    We had a very slow start in a LOT of games last year, I hope that theme doesn't continue.


    That is the most worrisome aspect of our game to me. We saw it quite a few times in the regular season last year, and both times in the playoffs. In fact, even counting the defensive collapse, it's probably the main reason we lost in Atlanta. If we'd have held on and not let things get out of hand early, when we finally got our heads in the game and started playing like we were capable of, we could have pulled away instead of struggling to catch up.

    That aspect of our game is probably the single greatest threat to our winning a Super Bowl any time soon, because all it takes is one game to let things get away from us and not be able to recover.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18816
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:30 am
  • Man, havent played the first game, and the self-justification has already begun. Never change .net
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    User avatar
    Cartire
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3184
    Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:35 am
  • CornerHawk wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:This sounds eerily like the Arizona game on the road to open last season, sure, but a couple things:

    1. This year's first game Russell Wilson is not last year's first game Russell Wilson.

    2. This team has shown time and again they can come back even down against a good team.

    3. We're worried about how the team's looked in preseason, when they haven't played half the starters who should be fine for game one.

    It's okay to be worried. If the 'Hawks should win this one, let them step up and show they can. It may be an ugly win, but they should be able to get the job done.



    Feels more like Miami to me. I hope Seattle doesn't get too conservative thinking they can win that way.


    God...there was enough run, run, pass, punt in Miami to make me vomit. That was the worst game of the year for me, easily. If that happens on our first 2 or 3 possessions in Carolina I will be beside myself.
    User avatar
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2494
    Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:44 am
  • My humble opinion: I think this game is a keeper if we can do one thing:

    1) Score more than they do.

    Just kidding - I think actually two things will make it more probable that we win - and I actually have a lot of confidence we will do this:
    1) Limit the big plays of Carolina - I sincerely doubt they will put together too many sustained drives. This means third and long conversions have to be kept to a minimum - as I believe that we match up well from a personnel point of view. Of course there is the Cam Newton factor - the guy is freaky fast and can throw a monster deep ball.
    2) Pound the rock to the point that play-action is indefensible - This means 2nd level blocks on the LB corps of Carolina - limit what Kuechly can do to you, then the passing game will be burdensome for them. I would be very surprised if we didn't have at least a 60/40 split run/pass.
    Image
    User avatar
    nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *
     
    Posts: 1446
    Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:13 am


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:56 am
  • Lol Seattle -3????
    Too easy of a bet.
    User avatar
    Axx
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2539
    Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:37 pm


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:05 am
  • Seahwkgal wrote:We shouldn't be. Carolina is a much better team now than the one we faced last season. We have key players that will/might not play. The oddsmakers are dumb here. JMO.


    They oddsmakers are dumb because we'll beat Carolina by double digits.
    <A>
    <IMG></A>
    User avatar
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1607
    Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:14 am
    Location: Elma, WA


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:15 am
  • Panther fan here. This should be a very good game. Im interested to see how our offense will look against a good defense, its a good test for week 1. Our secondary is somewhat suspect but our front 7 is no joke, if you guys can protect Wilson it will be a vey easy day for him because there will be receivers WIDE open. On the other hand if we get pressure on him it bodes well for us.

    I don't mean to sound biased but the x factor in this game is Cam Newton if he's on he's damn near unstoppable, running, throwing it doesn't matter if he's on his game. The key for you guys will be to stop our running game. If Cam can get any help from our backs (he lead the team in rushing last year) lookout.

    I predict an ugly game much like last year with not a lot of points scored. 20-17 Panthers.
    myrmidon
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 8
    Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:02 pm


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:19 am
  • Keyhawk wrote:Hawks are road favorites in season opener.

    http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/


    It's a common mistake this spread, there's suppose to be a "0" after the three. :sarcasm_off:
    Image
    Beer, Football, Family=A wonderful life.
    Hawknight
    * Class Act Hawk Fan *
     
    Posts: 989
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:38 pm
    Location: Hayward, California


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:22 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    hawk79 wrote:And I have a feeling Seattle is going to get off to a slow start, trying to find thier way.


    We had a very slow start in a LOT of games last year,



    No. We absolutely did not. I debunked that myth a week or two ago. On 8/9/2013, actually. And kearly acknowledged it. Nuff said.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:50 am
  • myrmidon wrote:Panther fan here. This should be a very good game. Im interested to see how our offense will look against a good defense, its a good test for week 1. Our secondary is somewhat suspect but our front 7 is no joke, if you guys can protect Wilson it will be a vey easy day for him because there will be receivers WIDE open. On the other hand if we get pressure on him it bodes well for us.

    I don't mean to sound biased but the x factor in this game is Cam Newton if he's on he's damn near unstoppable, running, throwing it doesn't matter if he's on his game. The key for you guys will be to stop our running game. If Cam can get any help from our backs (he lead the team in rushing last year) lookout.

    I predict an ugly game much like last year with not a lot of points scored. 20-17 Panthers.


    Well...you may have forgotten, but we handled Newton quite easily last season. Running/mobile QB's don't intimidate our defense ... we completely shut down Kaepernick last December as well. Our speed and attention to detail is impressive.

    I think it will be a low scoring game again, for sure. Your front 7 is legit. I sure hope that stubborn Pete doesn't go into this game trying to run the ball all game long like we did in Miami last season or we won't have a good chance. We need to throw, throw and throw.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7534
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:55 am
  • Here is the rub that favors Seattle against Newton, it's not pass rush as we didn't have a great pass rush last season outside of the Green Bay game, it's the front 7 speed + coverage. No WR can get open deep (Cam loves throwing deep), we make teams dink and dunk up the field and this requires patience; this is also why I'm not afraid of Palmer with Arians. The speed of the defensive front seven combined with size and speed of our outside corners means we can get to the line of scrimmage as quick as the Panthers running game and Newton should he decide to run. As long as Seattle is stout up the middle that limits the run as well.

    Now, Carolina can still win on offense if they play patiently and Cam takes what is there and limits turnovers. The flip side is Seattle has a great offense running the conservative passing game, running the ball, in addition to the option/pistol/and deep threat. Also, Carolina is another team where man to man, not many Panthers are head and shoulders above the Seattle player at position to position.

    Biggest worry for Seattle, no Clemons or Bruce, they bring a lot of talent to the front seven against a team like Carolina and I'm not sure Avril can replace Clemons at this point but I feel pretty good about Bennett if he plays strong side end.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    User avatar
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1797
    Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:56 pm


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:56 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    myrmidon wrote:Panther fan here. This should be a very good game. Im interested to see how our offense will look against a good defense, its a good test for week 1. Our secondary is somewhat suspect but our front 7 is no joke, if you guys can protect Wilson it will be a vey easy day for him because there will be receivers WIDE open. On the other hand if we get pressure on him it bodes well for us.

    I don't mean to sound biased but the x factor in this game is Cam Newton if he's on he's damn near unstoppable, running, throwing it doesn't matter if he's on his game. The key for you guys will be to stop our running game. If Cam can get any help from our backs (he lead the team in rushing last year) lookout.

    I predict an ugly game much like last year with not a lot of points scored. 20-17 Panthers.


    Well...you may have forgotten, but we handled Newton quite easily last season. Running/mobile QB's don't intimidate our defense ... we completely shut down Kaepernick last December as well. Our speed and attention to detail is impressive.

    I think it will be a low scoring game again, for sure. Your front 7 is legit. I sure hope that stubborn Pete doesn't go into this game trying to run the ball all game long like we did in Miami last season or we won't have a good chance. We need to throw, throw and throw.

    :13:

    Attack that pathetic Panthers' secondary all game long. That should open up the run game as the game progresses.
    Colin Kaepernick wrote:I think our efficiency in the huddle was more of a factor than the crowd.
    User avatar
    C-Dub
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1129
    Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:06 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:56 am
  • bestfightstory wrote:No. We absolutely did not. I debunked that myth a week or two ago. On 8/9/2013, actually. And kearly acknowledged it. Nuff said.


    Based on what? Also, I decided to check this myself based on points, and it certainly appears that I'm right based on points scored/allowed overall based on half. Here, I added them up; and the only reason offense is virtually dead even is because of the three games in a row towards the end where we had first-half blowouts.

    Seahawks offensive points scored in the first half and the second half, then defensive points allowed in first half and second half:

    Week 1: 3/13, 10/10
    Week 2: 13/14, 7/0
    Week 3: 7/7, 0/12
    Week 4: 7/6, 13/6
    Week 5: 6/10, 3/9
    Week 6: 10/14, 17/6
    Week 7: 6/0, 3/10
    Week 8: 17/7, 14/14
    Week 9: 20/10, 17/3
    Week 10: 14/14, 7/0
    Week 12: 7/14, 7/17
    Week 13: 10/13, 7/10
    Week 14: 38/20, 0/0 (lol)
    Week 15: 31/19, 17/0
    Week 16: 28/14, 6/7
    Week 17: 3/17, 7/6
    Week 18: 13/11, 14/0
    Week 19: 0/28, 20/10

    Offensive totals: 233 points scored in the first half, 231 points scored in the second half. Three outlier games in a row starting with the Cardinals bumped the first half total up DRAMATICALLY. We scored more points in the second half of a game 8 times, and scored more points in the first half 8 times; an even split, with two games allowing the same number of points in both halves. Factor in the fact that defenses get tired towards the end of games, and you should see more offensive scoring in the second half than the first, on average. The only reason this is even is because of that three-game hot streak we had towards the end of the regular season. It took that just to even it out; otherwise, there's a pretty good difference in points scored in the first half versus the second half.

    Defensive totals: 169 points allowed in the first half, 120 points allowed in the second half. When you again remember to factor in the fact that defenses tire towards the end of games along with us having blown several games in the 4th quarter last year, that is a mightily impressive differential. The Seahawks allowed WAY fewer points in the second half than in the first half, on average.

    BFS, can you link the thread you're referring to? I don't recall it, and I'd like to see what it's based on; because the overall scoring trends sure agree with the assertion that we were slow starters as a team more often than not.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26427
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:59 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Gotta pound the rock all...fricken....day

    That's going to be very tough. Open the run game up first by attacking the secondary.
    Colin Kaepernick wrote:I think our efficiency in the huddle was more of a factor than the crowd.
    User avatar
    C-Dub
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1129
    Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:06 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:08 am
  • I'm thinking in terms of eating up clock, keeping our D fresh, and wearing them out in the 4th quarter.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2930
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:09 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    I think it will be a low scoring game again, for sure. Your front 7 is legit. I sure hope that stubborn Pete doesn't go into this game trying to run the ball all game long like we did in Miami last season or we won't have a good chance. We need to throw, throw and throw.


    I agree. If Rice and Miller are active for the game, there's no reason not to destroy the field outside of the box.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15453
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:15 am
  • If Carolina was smart, they'd just run the ball down our throats with the makeshift D-Line we're going to have. Which also worries the hell out of me for week 2 if we don't start getting some of these guys back.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3497
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:18 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:If Carolina was smart, they'd just run the ball down our throats with the makeshift D-Line we're going to have. Which also worries the hell out of me for week 2 if we don't start getting some of these guys back.


    This would worry me more if DeAngelo Williams was any good and Stewart wasn't out. Same with Frank Gore and the 49ers.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15453
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:21 am
  • I also missed the previous thread about whether we started slowly or not. I believe the way to look at it would be with win probability plots from a site like advancednflstats or ideally one that released the data in tabular form, and estimate the overall slope. For the context of this discussion, you probably want to look specifically at road games because "starts slowly on the road" is the criticism that Vegas seems to have against us.
    Last edited by AgentDib on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    User avatar
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2212
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:23 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:No. We absolutely did not. I debunked that myth a week or two ago. On 8/9/2013, actually. And kearly acknowledged it. Nuff said.


    Based on what? Also, I decided to check this myself based on points, and it certainly appears that I'm right based on points scored/allowed overall based on half. Here, I added them up; and the only reason offense is virtually dead even is because of the three games in a row towards the end where we had first-half blowouts.

    Seahawks offensive points scored in the first half and the second half, then defensive points allowed in first half and second half:

    Week 1: 3/13, 10/10
    Week 2: 13/14, 7/0
    Week 3: 7/7, 0/12
    Week 4: 7/6, 13/6
    Week 5: 6/10, 3/9
    Week 6: 10/14, 17/6
    Week 7: 6/0, 3/10
    Week 8: 17/7, 14/14
    Week 9: 20/10, 17/3
    Week 10: 14/14, 7/0
    Week 12: 7/14, 7/17
    Week 13: 10/13, 7/10
    Week 14: 38/20, 0/0 (lol)
    Week 15: 31/19, 17/0
    Week 16: 28/14, 6/7
    Week 17: 3/17, 7/6
    Week 18: 13/11, 14/0
    Week 19: 0/28, 20/10

    Offensive totals: 233 points scored in the first half, 231 points scored in the second half. Three outlier games in a row starting with the Cardinals bumped the first half total up DRAMATICALLY. We scored more points in the second half of a game 8 times, and scored more points in the first half 8 times; an even split, with two games allowing the same number of points in both halves. Factor in the fact that defenses get tired towards the end of games, and you should see more offensive scoring in the second half than the first, on average. The only reason this is even is because of that three-game hot streak we had towards the end of the regular season. It took that just to even it out; otherwise, there's a pretty good difference in points scored in the first half versus the second half.

    Defensive totals: 169 points allowed in the first half, 120 points allowed in the second half. When you again remember to factor in the fact that defenses tire towards the end of games along with us having blown several games in the 4th quarter last year, that is a mightily impressive differential. The Seahawks allowed WAY fewer points in the second half than in the first half, on average.

    BFS, can you link the thread you're referring to? I don't recall it, and I'd like to see what it's based on; because the overall scoring trends sure agree with the assertion that we were slow starters as a team more often than not.


    Dude, your subjective look on starting slow is dumb. Just because the second halves were better, doesnt correlate to first halves being slow. You need to put that data up against league averages per half. Cmon, your smarter then this. Or at least you pretend to be.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    User avatar
    Cartire
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3184
    Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:30 am
  • Cartire wrote:Dude, your subjective look on starting slow is dumb. Just because the second halves were better, doesnt correlate to first halves being slow. You need to put that data up against league averages per half. Cmon, your smarter then this. Or at least you pretend to be.

    Unless he is looking at whether the team started relatively slow, and that may be more reflective of how fans are looking at it. In other words, I may be concerned that the Seahawks under performed in the first half based on their own potential, not compared to a team like the Miami Dolphins. There are many ways to interpret "starting slow."
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    User avatar
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2212
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:35 am
  • AgentDib wrote:
    Cartire wrote:Dude, your subjective look on starting slow is dumb. Just because the second halves were better, doesnt correlate to first halves being slow. You need to put that data up against league averages per half. Cmon, your smarter then this. Or at least you pretend to be.

    Unless he is looking at whether the team started relatively slow, and that may be more reflective of how fans are looking at it. In other words, I may be concerned that the Seahawks under performed in the first half based on their own potential, not compared to a team like the Miami Dolphins. There are many ways to interpret "starting slow."


    His interpertation is that because the second half was better, the first half was slow. Why cant the first half be normal and the second half be better?

    You have to compare to a constant if your going to make the claim that we are slow. The constant is the league average in first halves. Not our own record in second halves.

    And the less subjective the better. Otherwise, all you get is "feelings" which is good enough to be an NFL.com analyst (ps, dont strive to be that).
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    User avatar
    Cartire
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3184
    Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:42 am
  • Cartire wrote:Dude, your subjective look on starting slow is dumb. Just because the second halves were better, doesnt correlate to first halves being slow.

    Actually, when your defense consistently allows more points when they're fresh and less points when they're tired, that does in fact PROVE there is a correlation. Apply a little logic, Car.

    Cartire wrote:You need to put that data up against league averages per half. Cmon, your smarter then this. Or at least you pretend to be.

    I'm not going to spend hours and hours writing down and adding those numbers for the other 31 teams in the league. You can feel free to literally spend the next 10 hours doing that, if you want. Also, for a season average, it's NOT just dumb. Points are the single largest stat to measure performance by, by a huge margin. When you see a trend over the course of an entire season, it's not dumb.

    Cartire wrote:His interpertation is that because the second half was better, the first half was slow. Why cant the first half be normal and the second half be better?

    Dude, if the second half is faster, the first half is slower no matter what. How slow overall compared to the rest of the league is a hard thing to quantify, feel free to do it, but WE WERE SLOWER in the first half than in the second half. Even if our first half performance is not slow at all by league standards, it doesn't change the fact that WE were slower in the first half than in the second. You're killin' me, Smalls.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26427
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:43 am
  • First drives the Seahawks killed it. Of course it took Bevell half a year to get points every time.

    The 1st Rams game sticks out. The Hawks flat-out dominated the Rams on the ground. They did whatever they wanted. But, no points.
    @ryanadamdavis
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10323
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:45 am
  • Cartire wrote:His interpertation is that because the second half was better, the first half was slow. Why cant the first half be normal and the second half be better? You have to compare to a constant if your going to make the claim that we are slow. The constant is the league average in first halves. Not our own record in second halves.

    Because in both cases, I think it is perfectly reasonable to feel that your team started slow based on their own potential. The constant you may want to compare to is their own average production.

    I do agree with you that a difference in production doesn't automatically imply something is wrong. After all, you would expect an offense with Carroll's philosophy to do slightly better as games progressed as your successful running game was able to wear down their defensive line.
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    User avatar
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2212
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:46 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:If Carolina was smart, they'd just run the ball down our throats with the makeshift D-Line we're going to have. Which also worries the hell out of me for week 2 if we don't start getting some of these guys back.


    This would worry me more if DeAngelo Williams was any good and Stewart wasn't out. Same with Frank Gore and the 49ers.


    So you don't think Gore and the SF Line are good? That my friend, is crazy talk.

    You saw what Gore and the SF line did to us the first time we met last year, and that was WITH most of our healthy D-Line. SF has arguably the best O-Line in the NFL, I can guarantee you they're going to try and ram the ball down our throats..............and this time they won't be coming off an exhausting cross country trip to NE where they had to use up all their energy staving off a torrid NE comeback.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3497
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:58 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Cartire wrote:You need to put that data up against league averages per half. Cmon, your smarter then this. Or at least you pretend to be.

    I'm not going to spend hours and hours writing down and adding those numbers for the other 31 teams in the league. You can feel free to literally spend the next 10 hours doing that, if you want. Also, for a season average, it's NOT just dumb. Points are the single largest stat to measure performance by, by a huge margin. When you see a trend over the course of an entire season, it's not dumb.



    Spending 10 hours ..... Only you, iRo, would go into such Hyperbole.

    First Half/Second Half Offensive points.
    http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/1s ... s-per-game
    http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/2n ... s-per-game

    First Half/Second Half points allowed. (note, you dont want to rank 1st on these)

    http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/op ... s-per-game
    http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/op ... s-per-game

    Wooo, 10 hours down in about 23 seconds.

    So now you know, against the average, or defense was 5th best team in the first half, and 1st best in the second half.
    Our offense was 9th best in the first half and 11th in the second half.

    Now please, enlighten me with your all powerful brain, are we really "slow" to start?
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    User avatar
    Cartire
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3184
    Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:00 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:We own Cam Newton


    Um, we've played Newton ONCE, and if he hadn't thrown that 4th down ball into the dirt in the end zone at an open receiver's feet, we likely lose that game.

    Now, that's not to say that we shouldn't win. I think we should. But anyone acting like this is a cakewalk hasn't been watching Carolina at ALL. They won 5 of their last 6 games in 2012, and Newton played pretty strongly down the stretch (10/2 TD to INT ratio over those 6 games, with 4 rushing TDs added on).

    Now, it's true that Carolina's secondary is awful, and that the receiving corps is essentially the corpse of Steve Smith and nobody else. But that being said, upsets happen all the time in Week 1, and defenses are usually still well ahead of offenses the first week of the season. Carolina will be playing in front of a raucous crowd (or at least as raucous as they get there), so their D will feed off of that. Their front 7 isn't "decent." It's one of the top in the game, and Keuchly is a monster and a half. If our offense has a hard time getting in rhythm, it could be a long day for the Seahawks. Add to that our issues along the D-line with injury and suspensions. We won there last year in part because we had Clemons and Irvin wreaking havoc on Newton. Guess who we don't have in week 1?

    You can strut and thump your chest all you like about a Seahawks beatdown, and I sincerely hope you get to rub it in my face how right you were, but I think it's going to be a very, very close game and that we'll be lucky to escape with a W.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8206
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:02 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:If Carolina was smart, they'd just run the ball down our throats with the makeshift D-Line we're going to have. Which also worries the hell out of me for week 2 if we don't start getting some of these guys back.


    This would worry me more if DeAngelo Williams was any good and Stewart wasn't out. Same with Frank Gore and the 49ers.


    So you don't think Gore and the SF Line are good? That my friend, is crazy talk.

    You saw what Gore and the SF line did to us the first time we met last year, and that was WITH most of our healthy D-Line. SF has arguably the best O-Line in the NFL, I can guarantee you they're going to try and ram the ball down our throats..............and this time they won't be coming off an exhausting cross country trip to NE where they had to use up all their energy staving off a torrid NE comeback.


    I never mentioned the SF line. Gore, however, is now on the wrong side of 30 and I think he's going to be remarkably less effective this year.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15453
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:22 am
  • Seahwkgal wrote:We shouldn't be. Carolina is a much better team now than the one we faced last season. We have key players that will/might not play. The oddsmakers are dumb here. JMO.

    Unless that secondary suddenly morphs into something good and they suddenly find a 2nd/3rd WR we have nothing to worry about. That team still has 6-10 written all over them and Cam for all his athleticism still can't throw the ball with accuracy.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7840
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:27 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    I never mentioned the SF line. Gore, however, is now on the wrong side of 30 and I think he's going to be remarkably less effective this year.


    Maybe. Gore's stats are almost identical in 2011 and 2012, so don't really see where you're getting a drop off from, other than he's just a year older.

    My point is don't expect a drubbing of the niners like last year at home. I still like us at home against ANYBODY, but make no mistake this game should be close.

    As far as the Panthers game, I always hate road games to start the season, because even bad teams play like it's the Superbowl at home in game #1. So yeah, Carolina might end up 6-10, but they won't play like 6-10 until week #6. Week #1 with a full house, I expect this to be a very tough game.

    Remember how we all thought we'd go down to Arizona and beat the crap out of a bad Cards team in week #1 last year?
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3497
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:29 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:
    I never mentioned the SF line. Gore, however, is now on the wrong side of 30 and I think he's going to be remarkably less effective this year.


    Maybe. Gore's stats are almost identical in 2011 and 2012, so don't really see where you're getting a drop off from, other than he's just a year older.

    My point is don't expect a drubbing of the niners like last year at home. I still like us at home against ANYBODY, but make no mistake this game should be close.

    As far as the Panthers game, I always hate road games to start the season, because even bad teams play like it's the Superbowl at home in game #1. So yeah, Carolina might end up 6-10, but they won't play like 6-10 until week #6. Week #1 with a full house, I expect this to be a very tough game.

    Remember how we all thought we'd go down to Arizona and beat the crap out of a bad Cards team in week #1 last year?

    But that was with a rookie quarterback on a tight leash and a divisonal game. All factors that made that game not at all comparable to the Carolina game. I figure it should be close with us winning by around 10 in the end.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7840
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:32 am
  • C-Dub wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Gotta pound the rock all...fricken....day

    That's going to be very tough. Open the run game up first by attacking the secondary.

    THIS!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11947
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: Lombardi Land


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:42 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:If Carolina was smart, they'd just run the ball down our throats with the makeshift D-Line we're going to have. Which also worries the hell out of me for week 2 if we don't start getting some of these guys back.


    This would worry me more if DeAngelo Williams was any good and Stewart wasn't out. Same with Frank Gore and the 49ers.

    This!

    The only guys that scares me running the ball is Cam. Contain his running and force him to throw.
    Colin Kaepernick wrote:I think our efficiency in the huddle was more of a factor than the crowd.
    User avatar
    C-Dub
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1129
    Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:06 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:59 am
  • Id love to see Wilson have his biggest passing game as a hawk. 400+ yards and 4 TD's.
    Image
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    User avatar
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1634
    Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:14 pm


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:12 am
  • Chukarhawk wrote:Id love to see Wilson have his biggest passing game as a hawk. 400+ yards and 4 TD's.

    Of course we would all love to see that, but will our offensive line give him three seconds for those routes to develop? Carolina's defense matches up very well against mobile QBs and they practice against an offense who's QB led the team in rushing last season.
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    User avatar
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2212
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:47 am
  • grizbob wrote:This place is sounding eerily similar to a year ago :180670: :141847_bnono:


    Luckily for us, it doesn't matter how this forum sounds, just how the team plays.
    User avatar
    plyka
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1323
    Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:40 pm


Re: Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina
Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:49 pm
  • I would call this a Pick 'em at best. I think that there is a very good chance Seattle loses this game.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3754
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Next


It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:14 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information