bruce will play

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If anything, awesome article on Bruce Irvin.

This guy has the tools to be a tremendous SAM linebacker if he has the drive to take himself there.

Talking replacement value, Bruce Irvin at 255-260 pounds is probably still one of the fastest defenders on the team, and considerably faster than K.J. Wright (245, but theoretically i'd put Wright at 238-240 since his transition to WLB). While Irvin and Wright have similar lower body strength both posting around 10 feet in the Broad and 34 inches in the Vert. However, Irvin did put up 3 more reps in the Bench to Wright's 20.

Also, Irvin has Defensive Back quality foot work and change of direction ability with an awesome 4.03 20-Yard Shuttle, and incredible 6.7s 3-Cone at 245 pounds coming out of WVU. The 4.03 time ranks only behind Winfield (3.95), Margagos (3.98), Toomer (4.00), and Christine Michael (4.02).

Note that Harvin and Thomas did not participate in these drills.

Irvin's 6.70 ranks only behind Margagos (6.52), Baldwin (6.56) and Michael (6.69). If Blackmon remained with the team, he had a 6.69 but I doubt he still would be as athletic, older and with an injury history.

So when Norton refers to Irvin as being "natural", I can believe it given Irvin's elite athleticism at 245+ pounds. He looked solid vs GB sifting through traffic and he had a great tackle on the ball carrier as well.

Even in coverage, Irvin's athleticism is so overwhelming, if he learns to have great recovery speed, he's going to make plays even against the most athletic TEs. Considering his length 6'3 with 33 inch arms and 33.5 vert and size growth to 255 plus Irvin's DB background I wonder if the Seahawks are developing Bruce to be the answer to the big, athletic TE.

With that said Bruce Irvin has a long way to go and a lot of raw ability to polish, and hopefully with experience and age his instincts wills gradually become better because imo he has all the tools to be an elite dominating player.

pehawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2r6xox24 said:
If anything, awesome article on Bruce Irvin.

This guy has the tools to be a tremendous SAM linebacker if he has the drive to take himself there.

Talking replacement value, Bruce Irvin at 255-260 pounds is probably still one of the fastest defenders on the team, and considerably faster than K.J. Wright (245, but theoretically i'd put Wright at 238-240 since his transition to WLB). While Irvin and Wright have similar lower body strength both posting around 10 feet in the Broad and 34 inches in the Vert. However, Irvin did put up 3 more reps in the Bench to Wright's 20.

Also, Irvin has Defensive Back quality foot work and change of direction ability with an awesome 4.03 20-Yard Shuttle, and incredible 6.7s 3-Cone at 245 pounds coming out of WVU. The 4.03 time ranks only behind Winfield (3.95), Margagos (3.98), Toomer (4.00), and Christine Michael (4.02).

Note that Harvin and Thomas did not participate in these drills.

Irvin's 6.70 ranks only behind Margagos (6.52), Baldwin (6.56) and Michael (6.69). If Blackmon remained with the team, he had a 6.69 but I doubt he still would be as athletic, older and with an injury history.

So when Norton refers to Irvin as being "natural", I can believe it given Irvin's elite athleticism at 245+ pounds. He looked solid vs GB sifting through traffic and he had a great tackle on the ball carrier as well.

Even in coverage, Irvin's athleticism is so overwhelming, if he learns to have great recovery speed, he's going to make plays even against the most athletic TEs. Considering his length 6'3 with 33 inch arms and 33.5 vert and size growth to 255 plus Irvin's DB background I wonder if the Seahawks are developing Bruce to be the answer to the big, athletic TE.

With that said Bruce Irvin has a long way to go and a lot of raw ability to polish, and hopefully with experience and age his instincts wills gradually become better because imo he has all the tools to be an elite dominating player.

+1, thank you!

I said last week I'm pretty pissed I need to wait until game 5 to see him at SAM. I think he's going to be a STAR. A legit STAR.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
They should make him play the whole game. He could use the experience at his new spot and he'll have 4 weeks to catch his breath.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I am definitely intrigued with the move.

Interesting that you contrast him to Wright. The one thing that Wright has over most of the team is just natural instincts. Physically he's going to compare poorly outside of his length. But he reacts and diagnoses plays so quickly. I'd venture to guess his game speed is at or above most players because he's usually a good step quicker to getting where he needs to be.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Only thing bad about his return is it might kick Bradford to the curb.

Tical21

Reaction score
I was at the game, and went back and forth between focusing on him and Bradford, as they both essentially played the whole game. Irvin is a project. Slow to react, slow to get off blocks. Held up ok most of the time at the point of attack. Chased down Pryor beautifully. Made his drops fluidly, but didn't feel or find guys to cover. He basically just drifted around watching the QB, which is fine and dandy, but often left him covering nobody. Didn't look like a starting linebacker. Bradford was a little up and down as well, but even when he's wrong, he is nose first. If he had another year of experience, my guess is that he would have been tried outside.

Man, that SPARQ rating on Irvin sure is off the charts though!