Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: bruce will play
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:51 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2 ... 28xml.html

Post subject: Re: bruce will play
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:13 pm 
NET Veteran

If anything, awesome article on Bruce Irvin.

This guy has the tools to be a tremendous SAM linebacker if he has the drive to take himself there.

Talking replacement value, Bruce Irvin at 255-260 pounds is probably still one of the fastest defenders on the team, and considerably faster than K.J. Wright (245, but theoretically i'd put Wright at 238-240 since his transition to WLB). While Irvin and Wright have similar lower body strength both posting around 10 feet in the Broad and 34 inches in the Vert. However, Irvin did put up 3 more reps in the Bench to Wright's 20.

Also, Irvin has Defensive Back quality foot work and change of direction ability with an awesome 4.03 20-Yard Shuttle, and incredible 6.7s 3-Cone at 245 pounds coming out of WVU. The 4.03 time ranks only behind Winfield (3.95), Margagos (3.98), Toomer (4.00), and Christine Michael (4.02).

Note that Harvin and Thomas did not participate in these drills.

Irvin's 6.70 ranks only behind Margagos (6.52), Baldwin (6.56) and Michael (6.69). If Blackmon remained with the team, he had a 6.69 but I doubt he still would be as athletic, older and with an injury history.

So when Norton refers to Irvin as being "natural", I can believe it given Irvin's elite athleticism at 245+ pounds. He looked solid vs GB sifting through traffic and he had a great tackle on the ball carrier as well.

Even in coverage, Irvin's athleticism is so overwhelming, if he learns to have great recovery speed, he's going to make plays even against the most athletic TEs. Considering his length 6'3 with 33 inch arms and 33.5 vert and size growth to 255 plus Irvin's DB background I wonder if the Seahawks are developing Bruce to be the answer to the big, athletic TE.

With that said Bruce Irvin has a long way to go and a lot of raw ability to polish, and hopefully with experience and age his instincts wills gradually become better because imo he has all the tools to be an elite dominating player.

#3 taught Doubters, GREATNESS can be a product of HARD WORK.
#25 taught America, that we're ALL just CLASSLESS jerks.
#24 taught the Media, to REAP what you SOW.
#12 taught the NFL, TO BE LOUDER.

YOU WANTED THIS NOISE, AMERICA.
DON'T PLAY WITH DYNAMITE, IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE BOOM.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:15 pm 
* Report Button *

Pandion Haliaetus wrote:
If anything, awesome article on Bruce Irvin.

This guy has the tools to be a tremendous SAM linebacker if he has the drive to take himself there.

Talking replacement value, Bruce Irvin at 255-260 pounds is probably still one of the fastest defenders on the team, and considerably faster than K.J. Wright (245, but theoretically i'd put Wright at 238-240 since his transition to WLB). While Irvin and Wright have similar lower body strength both posting around 10 feet in the Broad and 34 inches in the Vert. However, Irvin did put up 3 more reps in the Bench to Wright's 20.

Also, Irvin has Defensive Back quality foot work and change of direction ability with an awesome 4.03 20-Yard Shuttle, and incredible 6.7s 3-Cone at 245 pounds coming out of WVU. The 4.03 time ranks only behind Winfield (3.95), Margagos (3.98), Toomer (4.00), and Christine Michael (4.02).

Note that Harvin and Thomas did not participate in these drills.

Irvin's 6.70 ranks only behind Margagos (6.52), Baldwin (6.56) and Michael (6.69). If Blackmon remained with the team, he had a 6.69 but I doubt he still would be as athletic, older and with an injury history.

So when Norton refers to Irvin as being "natural", I can believe it given Irvin's elite athleticism at 245+ pounds. He looked solid vs GB sifting through traffic and he had a great tackle on the ball carrier as well.

Even in coverage, Irvin's athleticism is so overwhelming, if he learns to have great recovery speed, he's going to make plays even against the most athletic TEs. Considering his length 6'3 with 33 inch arms and 33.5 vert and size growth to 255 plus Irvin's DB background I wonder if the Seahawks are developing Bruce to be the answer to the big, athletic TE.

With that said Bruce Irvin has a long way to go and a lot of raw ability to polish, and hopefully with experience and age his instincts wills gradually become better because imo he has all the tools to be an elite dominating player.

+1, thank you!

I said last week I'm pretty pissed I need to wait until game 5 to see him at SAM. I think he's going to be a STAR. A legit STAR.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:17 pm 
* Handsome *

^ nice work

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:21 pm 
NET Pro Bowler

They should make him play the whole game. He could use the experience at his new spot and he'll have 4 weeks to catch his breath.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

HawkFan72 wrote:
They should make him play the whole game. He could use the experience at his new spot and he'll have 4 weeks to catch his breath.

:13:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:53 am 
NET Veteran

I am definitely intrigued with the move.

Interesting that you contrast him to Wright. The one thing that Wright has over most of the team is just natural instincts. Physically he's going to compare poorly outside of his length. But he reacts and diagnoses plays so quickly. I'd venture to guess his game speed is at or above most players because he's usually a good step quicker to getting where he needs to be.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:50 pm 
NET Veteran

Only thing bad about his return is it might kick Bradford to the curb.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:07 pm 
NET Veteran

I was at the game, and went back and forth between focusing on him and Bradford, as they both essentially played the whole game. Irvin is a project. Slow to react, slow to get off blocks. Held up ok most of the time at the point of attack. Chased down Pryor beautifully. Made his drops fluidly, but didn't feel or find guys to cover. He basically just drifted around watching the QB, which is fine and dandy, but often left him covering nobody. Didn't look like a starting linebacker. Bradford was a little up and down as well, but even when he's wrong, he is nose first. If he had another year of experience, my guess is that he would have been tried outside.

Man, that SPARQ rating on Irvin sure is off the charts though!

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]