The Chris Harper dilemma

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:37 pm
  • I think Williams just got a bit rattled. If he were seriously concussed, I doubt they would have had him standing on the sideline for the remainder of the game. In any event, he's got more than a week to clear any cobwebs.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:43 pm
  • Here is what I think. We are keeping him because we all know that Tate is gonna have a big year with us this season. And there is no way we can retain him next season. Harper will come through. Just like Tate did.
    Sandpoint Hawk
    NET Starter

Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:54 pm
  • Sandpoint Hawk wrote:Here is what I think. We are keeping him because we all know that Tate is gonna have a big year with us this season. And there is no way we can retain him next season. Harper will come through. Just like Tate did.

We will pay Tate and cut Rice.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:57 pm
  • Sandpoint Hawk wrote:Here is what I think. We are keeping him because we all know that Tate is gonna have a big year with us this season. And there is no way we can retain him next season. Harper will come through. Just like Tate did.

They obviously saw something in Harper (4th?!) and Tate is definitely going to have a banner year. IF we win the SB, I hope we re-sign Tate, move Harvin.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:59 pm
  • T-Sizzle wrote:
    Sandpoint Hawk wrote:Here is what I think. We are keeping him because we all know that Tate is gonna have a big year with us this season. And there is no way we can retain him next season. Harper will come through. Just like Tate did.

Agreed.

I like Rice, I really do, I just don't like the salary that we have to pay him. Would love if he would take a pay cut but who knows.
    Decimation
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:01 pm
  • HawkWow wrote:
    Sandpoint Hawk wrote:Here is what I think. We are keeping him because we all know that Tate is gonna have a big year with us this season. And there is no way we can retain him next season. Harper will come through. Just like Tate did.

They obviously saw something in Harper (4th?!) and Tate is definitely going to have a banner year. IF we win the SB, I hope we re-sign Tate, move Harvin.

Sad. Thank god you don't run the front office. Housh and Big-Mike would probably be running deep posts w/ Hass throwing it up.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:47 pm
  • I hope we keep Harper and I have been a big fan of his since about around the middle of last season and I would hate to cut him and watch him become a solid player for another team. He had a couple of unfortunate drops, but the numbers game at WR probably put a lot of pressure on him when he finally got a significant amount of reps in the last pre-season game. Don't give up on him as a player, there was a guy you may have heard of that was a former 1st round pick who struggled his rookie year with dropped passes...his name is Jerry Rice. Jerry Rice's rookie year he dropped quite a few passes and at one point during a game he broke down crying because of his struggles on the field. Now, no I'm not saying Harper is the next Jerry Rice, but he can still be the tough, physical, great hands WR that our coaching staff envisioned him to be.

Here is an article on Jerry Rice's struggle with drops his rookie year.
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2006/too-deep-zone-jerry-rice-rookie-bust
    cover-2
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:37 pm
  • OMG! It appears that today we cut MikeRob instead of this guy?!?

All I can say is he better be payin' off bigtime in the longrun...

before I embarrass myself further; I'll shut up.
    In PCJS we trust.
    kigenzun
    NET Starter

Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:47 pm
  • Decimation wrote:
    T-Sizzle wrote:

Agreed.

I like Rice, I really do, I just don't like the salary that we have to pay him. Would love if he would take a pay cut but who knows.

Soon, unless I am seeing this wrong, all the high dollar non-QBs / CBs will be taking pay cuts.
    Rice was money last year but his track record...not so much. I value him, but he's making about twice as much as he's worth to this team (IMO). I don't see him reducing his asking price by that much so...he'll be toast.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:50 pm
  • T-Sizzle wrote:
    olyfan63 wrote:Kearse already IS much of what we hope Harper *could* become. I'd feel confident seeing Kearse out on the field as a starter if one of our current starters were unable to go.

Yup....like 6 regular season receptions and he is there.

I'm sticking with Kearse on this one. He gets it this year. He is a playmaker. 6 regular season receptions and all. I say Kearse is on the field enough to catch 20+ passes this year, (more if Rice/Tate other WR's miss games) and makes some key plays during the season to keep the W's rolling. Kearse now IS a legit NFL receiver. I see it came off like I was drawing a parallel between Kearse's skill set and Harper's skill set. To clarify, the skill set parallels are Kearse has that we hope for from Harper, is that Kearse is now a legit NFL receiver, Kearse gets open, Kearse *makes plays* on balls thrown to him in traffic. And, this year (so far, knock on wood...) Kearse CATCHES the ball. Obviously Harper is a bigger body and has some other unique advantages.

In truth, I hope we find a way to keep Harper. I say the dropsies are uncharacteristic and will go away. Part of me wonders if Pete told him to intentionally drop a couple EZ balls to help other teams pass on him. Seriously, for a moment. But then I dismissed that thought because that would simply be counter to the whole Pete Carroll program.
    Steve2222 wrote: "I'm going to call a spade a spade. This is a 9 win team who is going to need luck getting into playoffs."
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:57 pm
  • With MRob gone, I'm feeling like Harper gets kept on the 53.
    Steve2222 wrote: "I'm going to call a spade a spade. This is a 9 win team who is going to need luck getting into playoffs."
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:12 am
  • Unless this kid has been lights out on special teams or at least shown potential for it I am not too worried about where he ends up.With the talent this team has I dont think players have the luxury of spending 3 years learning the route tree.Cutting a 4th round pick isnt that big of a deal,in the long run most dont make it
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:17 am
  • cover-2 wrote:I hope we keep Harper and I have been a big fan of his since about around the middle of last season and I would hate to cut him and watch him become a solid player for another team. He had a couple of unfortunate drops, but the numbers game at WR probably put a lot of pressure on him when he finally got a significant amount of reps in the last pre-season game. Don't give up on him as a player, there was a guy you may have heard of that was a former 1st round pick who struggled his rookie year with dropped passes...his name is Jerry Rice. Jerry Rice's rookie year he dropped quite a few passes and at one point during a game he broke down crying because of his struggles on the field. Now, no I'm not saying Harper is the next Jerry Rice, but he can still be the tough, physical, great hands WR that our coaching staff envisioned him to be.

Here is an article on Jerry Rice's struggle with drops his rookie year.
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2006/too-deep-zone-jerry-rice-rookie-bust

did you just compare Chris Harper to Jerry Rice

I think you did
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:42 am
  • If I'm stuck with him... FINE!
    Catch the ball fool!
    kigenzun
    NET Starter

Previous

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:12 pm