The Chris Harper dilemma

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
One of the interesting decisions for the roster is going to be Harper. Depth chart wise, he is #6 in the pecking order right now (behind Rice, Tate, Baldwin, Kearse and Williams) ... and that's only because Harvin isn't active. If Harvin is active and on the opening roster, Harper doesn't make this team.

The dilemma: Do we keep Harper on the roster where he will be buried, or do we risk him to waivers and hope he makes it to the P.S.?

Bob Condotta was on KJR a little while ago and expects the Hawks to "force feed" Harper tomorrow to see if he can show something.

Thoughts?

C-Dub

Reaction score
I'd say 75% chance he's gone. Just no room for him when there's 2 other RB/FB that have shown a ton of talent on offense and special teams.

He'll probably get picked up off waivers, so that means no practice squad.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I know it's not a popular opinion, but Harper has a shot to win a job over Williams if he shows he's better on special teams. Because that's where they will mostly be playing this year.

I'm not saying I think it will happen ( I think Williams has earned his spot), just that I think a lot of people have already anointed Williams a roster spot prematurely. Harper could prove to be more valuable as a blocker and special teamer.

TCS

Reaction score
I agree with Bob. They have to force feed Harper to see what he's "got", but even then it's just pre season. I wonder if JS has "buyer's remorse" when it comes to the Harper pick? I for one didn't think Kearse would take the strides he's taken from last year to now, and Williams has been outstanding stretching the field. There is such a small sample size with Harper that he simply might fall by the wayside because of the log jam at receiver. Good problem to have I guess...

Go Hawks!

tcs

HawkFan72

Reaction score
TCS":3o8tkdt0 said:
I agree with Bob. They have to force feed Harper to see what he's "got", but even then it's just pre season. I wonder if JS has "buyer's remorse" when it comes to the Harper pick? I for one didn't think Kearse would take the strides he's taken from last year to now, and Williams has been outstanding stretching the field. There is such a small sample size with Harper that he simply might fall by the wayside because of the log jam at receiver. Good problem to have I guess...

Go Hawks!

tcs

If anything, I think they would look at the pick as worth it for the competition alone. If getting Harper int he mix pushed Kearse and Williams to work harder to make the team and tap into their potential, then I would think the Harper pick was worth it.

They love bringing in guys to push the players on the roster.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
TCS":3h70u10d said:

Go Hawks!

tcs

I doubt it (buyers remorse) - this draft will always probably look weak when held up against some of JS and PC's previous drafts because the roster is so stacked and deep, it was going to be hard to draft players who were going to crack it.

As it looks right now, it's uneven at the very best with the ceiling being "pretty good" (Michael, Hill and Willson).

I understand the Harper pick - they have always wanted that big, physical possession guy.

TCS

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2cuni804 said:
TCS":2cuni804 said:

Go Hawks!

tcs

I doubt it (buyers remorse) - this draft will always probably look weak when held up against some of JS and PC's previous drafts because the roster is so stacked and deep, it was going to be hard to draft players who were going to crack it.

As it looks right now, it's uneven at the very best with the ceiling being "pretty good" (Michael, Hill and Willson).

Truth. I don't even know whether or not to root for Harper making the squad as we've seen so little of him. Hopefully he'll get extended playing time tomorrow...

Go Hawks!

tcs

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
If we go by the 3 season rule, then it's too early to give up on him. Just like Tate. However, if he's a non-entity in practice, then there's not much you can really do this point but hope he clears waivers.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I've been surprised they haven't fed Harper the ball more this preseason. I was pretty high on him when we drafted him, and felt he had a decent shot at making the team. Of course, this is before Williams and Kearse really started to shine. It is a huge dilemma, but a good one. It's not a bad draft if they draft guys who can't crack the 53 because of the talent already there. If they'd drafted players that made the team only because everyone else was so bad, it'd be arguably a worse draft.

I hope he can make the PS this year, because I certainly don't see him beating out the other receivers, and I think he still has the potential to be quite good. It'd be a shame to lose him to another team, only to watch him shoot to stardom with them.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":z3rdd79e said:
If we go by the 3 season rule, then it's too early to give up on him. Just like Tate. However, if he's a non-entity in practice, then there's not much you can really do this point but hope he clears waivers.

Herein lies the dilemma. Do we keep him on the roster as the #6 WR - at the expense of another position we could use a body -or risk him to waivers and hope?

And then what happens when Harvin gets activated?

No wonder John Schneider sounded so tired on the radio today...this stuff has to weigh on him and Pete.

sutz

Reaction score
So, if they 'force feed' him the ball, doesn't that mean he has a chance to showcase his abilities in a way that makes him less likely to survive waivers?

:stirthepot:

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Pete and Wilson have both stated that Harper has done very well during practice. Part of the problem during the Preseason is that he hasn't been getting the ball, or put in the game much. When the ball has been thrown to him he has caught it. Hopefully they showcase him and he can beat out Williams.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
sutz":3nwaxcco said:
So, if they 'force feed' him the ball, doesn't that mean he has a chance to showcase his abilities in a way that makes him less likely to survive waivers?

No, cause we are playing the Raiders. Nobody will be watching. :th2thumbs:

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Force feed him in game four. Give him enough work to get a couple deep bruises, which would allow us to stash him on IR. :mrgreen:

TCS

Reaction score
sutz":2ctwmkkb said:

Lol! Didn't think about that. However, do we even want him taking up a PS spot (As we have other needs)? I can't remember hearing anything glaringly positive about Harper throughout TC and pre season, though I very well could have missed it.

Go Hawks!

tcs

TCS

Reaction score
OkieHawk":33j8qkni said:
Pete and Wilson have both stated that Harper has done very well during practice. Part of the problem during the Preseason is that he hasn't been getting the ball, or put in the game much. When the ball has been thrown to him he has caught it. Hopefully they showcase him and he can beat out Williams.

Harper is another receiver in the same vein as Baldwin, Tate, Harvin (Size wise). The only truly big (Tall) receiver we have is Rice. I would rather keep Williams than Harper, if for nothing more that a "change up". Plus Williams has more experience in the NFL. I suppose we could get into upside between the two, but I'm thinking about this season...

Go Hawks!

tcs

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Why the hell would anyone claim him? He hasnt shown potential or ability. He is not 53 caliber. If someone is SO weak at WR that they can carry him and leave him inactive on gamedays, OK.

He is PS material for sure, imo. 53 spot is way too valuable.

drdiags

Reaction score
I think you have to try getting him on the PS. If someone else grabs him, just the way it goes. Right now it seems he hasn't been able to win in the competition. That $440K signing bonus probably hurts but now is not the time to start varying from your stated mantra.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2ig4l2l0 said:
Why the hell would anyone claim him? He hasnt shown potential or ability. He is not 53 caliber. If someone is SO weak at WR that they can carry him and leave him inactive on gamedays, OK.

He is PS material for sure, imo. 53 spot is way too valuable.

Exactly. We always forget that all 31 other teams have their own Christ Harpers they are trying to stash. It's not like they aren't making tough cuts too.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Harper's only on the fringe because Kearse and Williams have flashed a ton in camp and in pre-season. I think the sudden depth we have at WR is unexpected. People around here were ready to dump Kearse and considered Williams a long-shot before camp started. Just bad luck and timing for Harper. If it's me, I'm rolling the dice that he'll clear waivers and hit PS, especially since he's likely competing for a spot with our backs and O-linemen.

Latest posts