DT Williams on IR

HansGruber

Reaction score
Yeah, Seahawks just announced Jesse Williams is on IR. Won't play this season.

Ugh.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I'm actually glad for him. McDaniels showed us we don't need to rush back YOLO too soon, and I'd rather Williams get his knee right by building strength in his legs before he gets shoved back on the field.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":11jb1ldt said:
I'm actually glad for him. McDaniels showed us we don't need to rush back YOLO too soon, and I'd rather Williams get his knee right by building strength in his legs before he gets shoved back on the field.

Yep, agreed.

pehawk

Reaction score
Man, the Dolphins seriously have KILLER depth across their Dline. McDaniel was their Clinton McDonald, and dude's just a baller for us.

No sarcasm, the fins line is scary.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
I'm surprised we went ir and not pup. His knee may be worse that I thought.

At this point, Williams has a good shot to never play a meaningful Nfl snap. And that bums me out.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Bummer about Williams. Good point about PUPing him, but he might not have been worth a darn late in the season anyway. Better to get him back healthy and learn a few things in training camp next year before being thrown against NFL offensive lines.

Basis4day

Reaction score
He was advertised as a project with high upside. Still worth the 5th round pick. Lets see what a year of rehab with the training staff does for the guy.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
They probably want to redshirt him, which is why they went IR instead of PUP. He really didn't show anything during pre-season that suggested he'd have won a roster spot outright. IR makes sense. Doesn't necessarily mean doom and gloom for his knee.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Good move, the guy just wasn't healthy. This is an opportunity to spend a year learning the game and rehabbing his knee, guaranteeing he will be at camp for us next year, rather than releasing him outright.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This was the best move for him. Allows him a full year to try and get those knees healthy. He did not look right out there.

mikeak

Reaction score
JerHawk81":j9no6p4h said:
I'm surprised we went ir and not pup. His knee may be worse that I thought.

At this point, Williams has a good shot to never play a meaningful Nfl snap. And that bums me out.

You cannot go PUP once the guy has participated in training. You can go PUP if they get injured prior to which is what happened with Percy Harvin.

If they get injuried during training camp then you can either put them on IR for the season or you can select ONE player that gets IR but designated for return after being out for a minimum of 6 weeks.

So with drafted rookies you want them in training camp and then IR them for the season vs not getting them the experience in training camp. You want to save the IR with return for an injury to a key player that you think will come back during the season (could get injured during the season for this designation).

SO PUP was not an option.

C-Dub

Reaction score
Good move, but sad we won't see the Monstar for a year. Hope he gets those knees healthy.

Basis4day

Reaction score
King Dog":1nagpu3o said:
Strange that Tharold Simon didn't get placed on IR.

They got to 75 without having too. We'll see what happens next week.

kf3339

Reaction score
I'm glad for Williams. He has a ton of upside if he just focuses on getting his knee completely healed, gets quality training to strengthen his legs and core and next year learns more technique to engage and win NFL O-Line battles.

I really have a lot of hope for him.