Carroll: Avril can be two weeks, Carpenter "couple of weeks"

Shock2k

Reaction score
Carpenter!!!! Seriously!!!

Man be it the Mariners or the Seahawks, let's just stay away from Free Agents. I mean, should we have a thread of our favorite free agent signings.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
They are taking a "conservative" approach with these two.

Read: We have so much talent behind them, we can afford to do this.

I am beginning to think that shelving Harvin was a lesser version of this. We don't HAVE to have these guys right now; that's how reliable our depth is. Might as well let them heal and then let Avril play maybe in the third game, hopefully in the last game of the exhibition season.

kearly

Reaction score
In Pete's own words, they are just taking advantage of the time frame. No reason to rush anything so they aren't.

Shock2k":37wy4lyu said:
oasis":37wy4lyu said:
Zach Miller.

Wait, is he your example of a good free agent signing?

Definitely. His contract isn't the most efficient, but he's been good for us and right now he's become one of the most critical starters on offense (if he can't play from injury, we are screwed). Sidney Rice is a similar story.

Raheem Brock was a free agent and had a career year with us. Brandon Stokely was a nice, low cost pickup. BMW had a nice 2010 season. Giacomini and McQuistan have been solid starters at bargain prices. Jason Jones was good when healthy. Brandon Browner was a free agent out of the CFL. Michael Robinson was a free agent after being released by the 49ers. Alan Branch gave us two solid seasons at moderate cost. Tjack did a solid job as a bridge QB and netted us a draft pick before returning as a quality low cost backup.

Michael Bennett looked like the best player on our entire defense against the Chargers. Our top WR in that same game was a FA from Arizona (Stephen Williams).

Avril will probably be good, based on his talent and track record. Ditto Antoine Winfield.

I dunno, I look at Seattle's track record in FA under PC/JS and it is probably the best in the league, in terms of contribution per dollar. They've found some very good players and also some great bargains.

OP
OP
O

oasis

Reaction score
Yeah, Miller's one of my favorite players. I'd get his jersey if this wasn't a "young talent" type team that would likely make him expendable sooner rather than later. Still get goosebumps from his 3rd down conversions against the redskins.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
We're not the only NFL team to have "nicked up" players. That's just part of the game. Avoiding the serious, season ending injuries is the key factor.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Shock2k":ezdtiozg said:
oasis":ezdtiozg said:
Zach Miller.

Wait, is he your example of a good free agent signing?
Facepalm...Another guy that thinks tight ends suck if they're not catching seventy passes every year...

Zach Miller has had to block a ton for us, and has never complained once; and has done a very solid job at blocking. Don't underestimate him.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
Zach Miller will be here to start the season for the hawks. He is a veteran resting his body, that doesn't need to play threw injuries in the preseason. People are acting like this preseason game is the first game of the season. If someone has a prick on there finger, there not going to play. Its not like a regular season injury report, where wins matter and people have to play threw injuries.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Shock, What is your problem with Miller, his contract, his run blocking, his foot injury? His skills as a TE are not just restricted to one part of the game and he is an integral part of our running game along with being a reliable pass catcher inside and on the seams. In all he's a rare total package TE. He's very important to the team.

Maybe his contact is expensive and perhaps the team slightly overpaid but he answered a real problem the team needed answering when he was signed. You need to go back to 2010 and examine who was available, what we had at TE and what we wanted to do. examined fairly I think he was a good signing, he's been quite dependable if you look at his record. At this point we know exactly what we have with him and so does RW, the team is better when he plays he has to be accounted for by an opposing D.

I want him to be healthy when the games start to count.

McG

Reaction score
Carp is starting to become Marcus Tubbs 2.0, but with that said when we had an injured Marcus Tubbs we also had a Superbowl app.

Miller would be perfect if he was making half as much as he is now. Good player when healthy, but for the most part completely over priced at this point.

Thankfully we have some great depth (so far, 1 game of preseason to look at) and hopefully these guys can come fill in for any injuries. I know I saw a lot of good things from the preseason game, but it was just one game. I just hope everyone stays healthy.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3btmqcw6 said:
Miller doesn't miss a bunch of games, he'll be there, and he's be a huge contributor.
This. It's not even the 2nd preseason game! What matters is getting those to ready for Carolina not Denver, Green Bay, or Oakland.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
How the hell did this devolve into a Miller Bashing thread. Miller is a warrior. He proved that last season finishing out with Plantar Fasciitis for crying out loud. Carpenter is fragile, of that there can be no question at this point.