Stronger Arm

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Stronger Arm
Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:46 pm
  • I noticed that Russell threw the ball with more zip against the chargers. Especially when he rolled to his left and hit Kearse if i remember correctly. Ive watched Wilson since Wisconsin and I dont remember seeing him throw it like that. I didnt think much of it but today i heard John Clayton mention the same thing and im wondering if anybody else notice it and if ya think hes been working on his arm strength this offseason. Or maybe im just too excited for the season and im seeing things ha.
    DavidCruz24
    NET Practice Squad

Re: Stronger Arm
Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:06 pm
  • Don't know about a stronger arm, but he certainly appeared to be throwing lasers.
    Seen him throw a few of them last year, maybe he's just trying to get the ball to the receiver quicker (since separation isn't their strong point)
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:12 pm
  • I thought Russel was definitely putting zip on his passes but he was also overthrowing and sailing the ball a little too. He did this at the start of last year as well if I remember right. It seems if he misses its usually too high or overthrown.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:24 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:I thought Russel was definitely putting zip on his passes but he was also overthrowing and sailing the ball a little too. He did this at the start of last year as well if I remember right. It seems if he misses its usually too high or overthrown.

Cut him now!
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:28 pm
  • He's been working in footwork and better footwork usually means better throws--though I'm not sure if it would affect his throwing on the run.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:23 pm
  • DavidCruz24 wrote:I noticed that Russell threw the ball with more zip against the chargers. Especially when he rolled to his left and hit Kearse if i remember correctly. Ive watched Wilson since Wisconsin and I dont remember seeing him throw it like that. I didnt think much of it but today i heard John Clayton mention the same thing and im wondering if anybody else notice it and if ya think hes been working on his arm strength this offseason. Or maybe im just too excited for the season and im seeing things ha.

He rolled to his right, but he did put some mustard on it.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:26 pm
  • The thing I see is his tendency to overthrow or "throw high" when in the pocket carrying over from last year.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:33 pm
  • Shock2k wrote:The thing I see is his tendency to overthrow or "throw high" when in the pocket carrying over from last year.

I imagine he was a little fired up. He'll be fine.

His 64% completion rate and 100 rating from last season says it wasn't that much of a problem. :th2thumbs:
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:11 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    Shock2k wrote:The thing I see is his tendency to overthrow or "throw high" when in the pocket carrying over from last year.

His 64% completion rate and 100 rating from last season says it wasn't that much of a problem. :th2thumbs:

You know, I can't argue with a 64% completion rate.. It's the one weak part of his game that can't be fixed, because he can't grow, so he can't throw directly over a guy.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:51 pm
  • Like outfielders in Baseball, QBs tend to throw high when anxious. While you get the sense Wilson lacks an adrenal gland, he is human, but throwing high will get him picked and/or someone hurt. He just needs more game reps and I would have liked to have seen him in for at least one more series. But all good. Pete knows his QB.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:15 pm
  • Shock2k wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:
    Shock2k wrote:The thing I see is his tendency to overthrow or "throw high" when in the pocket carrying over from last year.

You know, I can't argue with a 64% completion rate.. It's the one weak part of his game that can't be fixed, because he can't grow, so he can't throw directly over a guy.

Nor can Drew Brees, but I dont think anyone ever mentions that as part of a weakness. So why do I still continue hearing it as one for RW.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:25 pm
  • Shock2k wrote:The thing I see is his tendency to overthrow or "throw high" when in the pocket carrying over from last year.

Yeah, he's a bust.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:27 pm
  • Shock2k wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:

We can probably arrange a trade for Whitehurst. I don't see him making the final 53.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:30 pm
  • HawkWow wrote:Like outfielders in Baseball, QBs tend to throw high when anxious. While you get the sense Wilson lacks an adrenal gland, he is human, but throwing high will get him picked and/or someone hurt. He just needs more game reps and I would have liked to have seen him in for at least one more series. But all good. Pete knows his QB.

Yeah, I noticed he was always hanging his receivers out to dry last season. Isn't extrapolation in preseason fun. Makes everyone sound like experts.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:37 pm
  • HawKnPeppa wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:Like outfielders in Baseball, QBs tend to throw high when anxious. While you get the sense Wilson lacks an adrenal gland, he is human, but throwing high will get him picked and/or someone hurt. He just needs more game reps and I would have liked to have seen him in for at least one more series. But all good. Pete knows his QB.

Yeah, I noticed he was always hanging his receivers out to dry last season. Isn't extrapolation in preseason fun. Makes everyone sound like experts.

So then your position is that he will never get picked, or get anyone hurt, throwing high because he didn't last year?

Sarcasm is better suited for the intelligent.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:15 pm
  • It kind of seems to me that DangeRuss is kind of like the Rocky Balboa of QB's. Remember how Rocky always had to get beat up a bit and then got mad...then out came the can of whoopass. Well, it seems from last year that Russ is kind of the same way in the sense that he is just good until him and the team get smacked around a bit but he really seems to excel the steeper the odds or the tougher the challenge. I really like that he is the calm and cool clutch closer he is.

I do think his early game will come around in time, especially when we get into regular season w/ some game planning. So I guess the question is would you rather have a QB that starts fast but fades a bit down the stretch or the guy that starts a bit slower but really shines the brightest at the end. I think I will take the finisher.
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:31 pm
  • He'll be settled down by the time they play the first game that matters...
    This guy has been mentally preparing himself for this season since the night they lost to the Falcons...
    I don't remember him over throwing receivers in that game...
    Russell is the real deal..
    Hard to believe, even now, that the Hawks finally have a potentially elite QB...
    He better not regress though...
    I bought one of those little Lego figurines of him...
    I'm invested!
    Wartooth
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:04 pm
  • Historically, Russell has shown a tendency to throw high at the beginning of games. It is a function of adrenaline. Because of it, he is a slow starter. He typically settles down and throws more accurately, especially in the second half. What he does well, is place the ball where the opponent does not get to it. Even when he is off early. Because of that, opposing offenses must "earn" their points and the Seahawks are typically not put into an insurmountable hole. Many of Russell's few picks come off of the hands of his receivers. He does seem to be more accurate in the early game when throwing on the run. Because of that, I would design more waggles, roll outs, and play action boots in the early game plan.
    Mick063
    NET Starter

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:59 am
  • Cartire wrote:
    Shock2k wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:

Nor can Drew Brees, but I dont think anyone ever mentions that as part of a weakness. So why do I still continue hearing it as one for RW.

Because Brees has 11 years of experience on Wilson? I think Wilson is young and inexperienced enough that he still gets a bit of adrenaline early in games - especially early in the season.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:06 pm
  • sc85sis wrote:He's been working in footwork and better footwork usually means better throws--though I'm not sure if it would affect his throwing on the run.

Any current or former 2an baseman will tell you that working on better footwork is all about improving throws on the run.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:32 pm
  • I also think being in a professional facility and having longer seasons he has added some muscle mass.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:16 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information