JS v Ruskell, or Team building 101

Dismas

Reaction score
I read the article Beer Hawk linked, and it spurred a thought I want to share.

It is no secret that this Seahawks team has an attitude, one we are all loving. It is also no accident.

Start with Ruskell. His trademark was safety ... good character guys with minimal downside. He hit on a few decent guys, maybe even a couple greatish ones, but always (in hindsight) seemed much more interested in eliminating the risk of a bust than in finding guys that would take a team to the next level. His guys were solid dependable, and detirmined to make momma proud.

Enter John Schneider . . . after 4 drafts, it would seem that his trademark kind of guy is the one who wants to be the very best ever. Making momma proud is fine, but Earl, Sherm, Russell . . JS guys have something to prove, not just to themselves, but to the world. They are out to redefine how everyone views their position. TO make and leave a lasting impression of greatness. To win championships. To go to the hall of fame as the GOAT.

Yes, Ruskell's guys wanted to be good. JS' guys want to be GREAT. and many of them are doing just that.

He won't ace every pick in every draft, and we are likely to be lamenting some of the players we let get away each year in roster cuts. But I feel pretty good knowing that JS can find the guys with the motivation to step up and keep this train rolling.

Go Hawks!

Throwdown

Reaction score
I find it funny NOW, wasn't funny back then that Ruskell avoided guys who might bust, and they ended up busting anyway. Dude just sucked at his job.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Actually there's a job that Ruskell was a success at - taking a superbowl contender and dismantling it. He's the Wally Walker of Football GM.

Throwdown

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2kt1zc70 said:
Actually there's a job that Ruskell was a success at - taking a superbowl contender and dismantling it. He's the Wally Walker of Football GM.

He's worse than Wally Walker, Wally was under instruction from a bummy owner.

Ruskell had full control.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The team is good from the top to the bottom as well--it was our depth that blew out the chargers last night after both team's starters came out.