A quick thought

kearly

Reaction score
I've been super busy with non-football things lately, and I ran out of time to finish my DVR review tonight. I did chart the first half yesterday evening though, and wanted to quickly share a few things really quick.

-Michael Bennett was a STUD. I can't believe I didn't notice him almost at all during the game.

-Jordan Hill had a ton of pressures and had arguably the best game of all our rookies.

-Jesse Williams sucked horribly. Colin Cole cubed.

-Michael Bowie looked very good.

-Alvin Bailey looked even better than that.

I'll post all the notes and details when I finish it (sometime soon I hope). I just wanted to get that off my chest in case it takes forever to get around to it.

Meeker

Reaction score
Agreed on all fronts, only remember one play where Jesse Williams beat his man.

Thought Bailey had the best game by a rookie by a wide margin, only remember one hiccup in his game, where a safety hopped to the side of his block and tackled Michael the play right before the final TD. Other than that saw him blow people off the line pretty consistently and give up no room in pass pro.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Our tackle situation is so good. I think we carry 4, and it makes Breno expendable. I know that pisses off the Breno guys, but I think the dude lacks as a pass blocker against power rushers. And is in a contract year.

Micheal Bennett is awesome. Doesn't he have a shoulder labrum issue? OUr resident Niner lurkers have been know to say this makes it impossible to to get sacks. Derp.

I like the Jordan Hill pick, and if he can be a laterally quick rusher it will like a cheap Henry Melton.

Jesse Williams. He is a study in how big a leap it is to the pros. His strength does not matter now, his lack of technique does. Funny how the pick that the pundits loved the most may be the worse pick.

grizbob

Reaction score
I LOLed when I read subject title and saw who the author is :D :th2thumbs: Thanks for being part of .net kearly :179422:

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
This is unacceptable; we are really going to need your A-game out their this year Kearly. Really need ya to buy in and commit to the program or we will have to trade ya. :lol:

I agree w/ everything there but for one caveat. I think Williams has all the pre-reqs but may be one of those players that takes a couple years to get trained up.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Jesse Williams is going to need to figure it out fast for us. Our depth at the LDT position is rather slim,though I assume there are number of players sliding around at points.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2fo7k9a6 said:
Our tackle situation is so good. I think we carry 4, and it makes Breno expendable. I know that pisses off the Breno guys, but I think the dude lacks as a pass blocker against power rushers. And is in a contract year.

Micheal Bennett is awesome. Doesn't he have a shoulder labrum issue? OUr resident Niner lurkers have been know to say this makes it impossible to to get sacks. Derp.

I like the Jordan Hill pick, and if he can be a laterally quick rusher it will like a cheap Henry Melton.

Jesse Williams. He is a study in how big a leap it is to the pros. His strength does not matter now, his lack of technique does. Funny how the pick that the pundits loved the most may be the worse pick.
Why would the DT situation have anything to do with Breno?

McGruff

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":1jbnu6xu said:
Scottemojo":1jbnu6xu said:

Offensive tackle. Although I'm not sure who the four are that exclude Breno. Okung, Bowie, Bailey and ????

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
All the missed time in camp has definitely impacted Williams.

Welcome to the NFL, rook. Now it's time to develop technique...you can't just get away with being the big strong dude like you did in college.

Let's give him some time...

oasis

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1rp8cgev said:
Jesse Williams is going to need to figure it out fast for us. Our depth at the LDT position is rather slim,though I assume there are number of players sliding around at points.
Yeah, I'm not sure who we have on the DT spot to stop the run, other than McDonald and Mebane .
How did McDaniel look by the way?

Sac

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":30tlnt6b said:
Scottemojo":30tlnt6b said:

He meant "Offensive Tackle" situation. Which is what Okung and Breno play.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Breno got owned by Dwight Freeney, yes I realize Freeney is on another level but still.

I've also never been a big fan of his I guess I'll wait and see what happens in the season.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3qu28p7f said:
All the missed time in camp has definitely impacted Williams.

Welcome to the NFL, rook. Now it's time to develop technique...you can't just get away with being the big strong dude like you did in college.

Let's give him some time...
That's the thing, he's not an anchor player due to those chicken legs. He's a 1 gapper that needs to play 3 or 5 to be effective, but even then...at Bama I saw those legs get buckled. All that said, lets wait and see ....

warden

Reaction score
Pete Carroll singled out Jesse Williams as having a good game. He did exactly what they asked him to do. He took on a lot of double teams to allow others to make plays. Williams will never have the wow plays but that is not how the coaches plan on using him.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
If he continues to be ineffective, I wonder if there's any chance they put Jesse Williams on the "return to season later IR list", let his knee recover more from his surgery last year, and perhaps he will be more effective later in the year with more time to heal.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
warden":s8az72qw said:
Pete Carroll singled out Jesse Williams as having a good game. He did exactly what they asked him to do. He took on a lot of double teams to allow others to make plays. Williams will never have the wow plays but that is not how the coaches plan on using him.

Don't underestimate the power of coach psychology, especially in the pre-season. Pete is very smart...he may have said that just as a way to keep Williams head up and moving forward.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
oasis":213d04w5 said:
Sarlacc83":213d04w5 said:
Yeah, I'm not sure who we have on the DT spot to stop the run, other than McDonald and Mebane .
How did McDaniel look by the way?

I don't believe that McDaniel played.

I'm glad that Kearly saw what I saw because it makes me more confident that I was right. If you took Jason Jones and multiplied that by awesome, you'd get Michael Bennett.

The reason Rivers didn't go down at least twice is because we had no outside pass rush or contain; if we had Clemons and Avril or Clemons and Irvin or Avril and Irvin on the outside, Bennett would have pushed Rivers right into sacks.

Tical21

Reaction score
Kearly, I'm curious as to how you chart games. Are you charting situations, personnel and outcomes, or do you do more of a classic scoring chart?