Starting fast matters, too

formido

Reaction score
I'm still frustrated with Carroll's insouciance regarding game starts. There's so much of his philosophy that's on point that I hate seeing weaknesses.

I also don't enjoy the numerous sarcastic comments on various Seahawks forums about Wilson's 2 for 6 outing. "Start T-jack" they say, (not so) wittily, or "Quarterback controversy!" I wonder if the laughter sounds a little loud in their ears as it does in mine? Perhaps we can acknowledge that one bad start after another after another is an unhappy pattern? And I'm not talking about Wilson, I'm talking about the offense's success as a whole early in games. Wilson's stats are just a reflection of it.

Yes, it's preseason, yes Wilson is going to have better stats, yes Unger was out. Nevertheless, I'd rather have seen Wilson do what Kap did against the much stronger Denver defense. Even with a vanilla scheme, I'd expect a possibly record-setting dominant Super Bowl contender's 1st team offense to smash the blitzing Chargers 1st team. Or at least, I'd definitely feel better if I had seen it. Not that I feel bad, but my 99% confidence has dropped to 98%.

After the game, Carroll said he wasn't worried about it. I hope he's at least very slightly worried about it. One thing I loved about the 2005 team is how often they'd come down on the opening drive and score a TD. Carroll doesn't seem to care about this at all. "It's not how you start, it's how you finish!" False! It's both!

One of Carroll's core philosophies is making the opponent one dimensional. One great way to do that would be to score earlier and oftener so our secondary (and hopefully improved pass rush) can tee off.

If the staff only cares about finishes, it will only get good finishes. (Not that, to be perfectly honest, we've been so hot at those either, recently). Only caring about finishes definitely reduces our chances of making it through a whole division race, then play-offs, then Super Bowl. It definitely leaves more up to chance.

How about a new slogan, like "Start fast, finish strong"? Although I'm open to something even punchier.

themunn

Reaction score
the 49ers scored 6 points total

If that's what you want then sure let's do it

Throwdown

Reaction score
Honestly, how many teams actually try in the first few series of the first quarter of the first preseason game?

Its more just trying to get your feet wet, and do some positive things. The Seahawks did, I have no issue.

Basis4day

Reaction score
formido":xrvtltyp said:
I'm still frustrated with Carroll's insouciance regarding game starts. There's so much of his philosophy that's on point that I hate seeing weaknesses.

I also don't enjoy the numerous sarcastic comments on various Seahawks forums about Wilson's 2 for 6 outing. "Start T-jack" they say, (not so) wittily, or "Quarterback controversy!" I wonder if the laughter sounds a little loud in their ears as it does in mine? Perhaps we can acknowledge that one bad start after another after another is an unhappy pattern? And I'm not talking about Wilson, I'm talking about the offense's success as a whole early in games. Wilson's stats are just a reflection of it.

Yes, it's preseason, yes Wilson is going to have better stats, yes Unger was out. Nevertheless, I'd rather have seen Wilson do what Kap did against the much stronger Denver defense. Even with a vanilla scheme, I'd expect a possibly record-setting dominant Super Bowl contender's 1st team offense to smash the blitzing Chargers 1st team. Or at least, I'd definitely feel better if I had seen it. Not that I feel bad, but my 99% confidence has dropped to 98%.

After the game, Carroll said he wasn't worried about it. I hope he's at least very slightly worried about it. One thing I loved about the 2005 team is how often they'd come down on the opening drive and score a TD. Carroll doesn't seem to care about this at all. "It's not how you start, it's how you finish!" False! It's both!

One of Carroll's core philosophies is making the opponent one dimensional. One great way to do that would be to score earlier and oftener so our secondary (and hopefully improved pass rush) can tee off.

If the staff only cares about finishes, it will only get good finishes. (Not that, to be perfectly honest, we've been so hot at those either, recently). Only caring about finishes definitely reduces our chances of making it through a whole division race, then play-offs, then Super Bowl. It definitely leaves more up to chance.

How about a new slogan, like "Start fast, finish strong"? Although I'm open to something even punchier.

A very big part of our offensive philosophy is to beat the hell out of the other team with the running game to exhaust them and take over in the second half with superior athleticism. While i understand many fans' frustrations with the appearance of offensive ineffectiveness in the first half, there is much more going on than simply running the ball up the middle every play.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
There is nothing more critical than starting first in the very first pre-season game! You want to fly out of the gates and never look back.

I think...?

Or not.

:stirthepot:

bestfightstory

Reaction score
CAN I TELL YOU A SECRET??

The 2012 Seattle Seahawks scored FIRST in EACH of their first 8 games!!!!!

Their record, at that point?

4-4

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
We only need to look at the Atlanta game for evidence that finishing well doesn't always make up for a crappy start.

Decimation

Reaction score
Thank god there's only 3 more preseason games left!

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Can I tell you another one?

Of the 16 regular season games played last year.......

Seattle scored first 13 times.......

The exceptions were vs Minnesota @ Chicago and @ Miami We were 2-1 in those games.....

bestfightstory

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":35hzaoj5 said:
We only need to look at the Atlanta game for evidence that finishing well doesn't always make up for a crappy start.

Nothing always does anything

HawkWow

Reaction score
bestfightstory":30hl1oe0 said:
Can I tell you another one?

Of the 16 regular season games played last year.......

Seattle scored first 13 times.......

The exceptions were vs Minnesota @ Chicago and @ Miami We were 2-1 in those games.....

I read the OP and was thinking...damn, it seems we scored first in a good portion of our games. Thanks for the validation.

I am not the least bit concerned about our first team and I doubt Pete is either. I think Pete did right in holding a lot of our guys out. We really got a look at the guys that may be of concern as opposed to risking the health of guys like Unger and Miller. What do you need to know about Unger and Miller that you don't already know?

Nobody wants to win it this year more than Pete. As long as we're winning, there will be no sarcasm, or criticism, directed at him and JS because of the Harvin situation. If we falter...believe me, it will be turned into an issue that Pete would rather not have to address. Imo.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Carroll seems to want to begin games with a demoralizing big play. I've seen many Carroll games the last three years begin with either such a big play or a strategy meant to set one up. The trouble is that attempting to manufacture one often prevents a methodical drive and leaves the first quarter offense looking hot-and-cold over the course of a season.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2a9jgc5b said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2a9jgc5b said:

The scroll was placed within the waves of symbolism.

There, now neither of us are making sense.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Loved the Hawks way of playing possum last year. I know they can take the lead in the 4th quarter and win against what used to be insurmountable odds for a Seahawks squad. I don't want to know that they can score first or win 30 minutes of football. I want to know if they can finish on top. RW proved to me against some great competition that he can walk away with tough wins.

Love Pete's mantra. I don't care about winning the first 30 minutes of a game. I want RW collecting a game ball at the end.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I think he's saying that sure, finishing well doesn't always make up for a crappy start, but there is nothing that 100% always achieves the most positive outcome.

On another note, the ATL game is probably a poor example to use because really, Wilson and the offense did win that game; it was not FINISHING strong that ended the season.

In fact, it was poor finishes in ARZ, MIA, DET, and ATL, after we had previously held the lead, that really killed us. There were definitely more leads our team ended up losing based on poor finishes than anything last year. Combine that with BFS' great stats about how Seattle tended last year to score first more often than not, and I don't think starting fast is a real issue of concern.

kearly

Reaction score
BFS is kicking ass in here.

WRT the Atlanta game, Seattle's offense was actually very good in the first half, they were just incredibly unlucky/unclutch. The defense played awful in the first half, but the offense was on a 380 yard pace.

McGruff

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":16hgowr3 said:
bestfightstory":16hgowr3 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":16hgowr3 said:

The scroll was placed within the waves of symbolism.

There, now neither of us are making sense.

I encompass and I eclipse . . .