#3 QB

HawkGA

Reaction score
assuming Seattle keeps a third string qb this year, will it be the loser of the tjackk-quinnn competition or will that person get cut and they'll go with a developmental person at #3?

Hawkfish

Reaction score
I bet we only carry two with MikeRob as emergency. Too much neeed/talent to carry another clipboard holder.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
We will only keep 2, like last year. The need for a #3 QB does not trump the desire to keep a valuable member of the roster at another position, IMO. The possibility of needing a #3 QB for a portion of a game is remote compared to the contributions we might get elsewhere.

M Rob gives us a luxury of having an emergency #3 QB in place.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
What Hawkfish said. I assume they'll pick up some young guy cut from another team for their practice squad who will basically serve at the defacto #3.

12thMan1

Reaction score
I think that they will only keep Wilson and TJ. They'll need that spot to keep an additional RB or DB IMO.

12thMan1

Reaction score
People keep mentioning that we could utilize MikeRob as an emergency QB but is there any evidence to support this theory beyond him being a QB in college? Has MikeRob actually stepped in at QB at practice? I haven't heard or seen any of the coaches or MikeRob talk about that. Not trying to be an ass, I'm genuinely curious.

themunn

Reaction score
12thMan1":1v31dj10 said:
People keep mentioning that we could utilize MikeRob as an emergency QB but is there any evidence to support this theory beyond him being a QB in college? Has MikeRob actually stepped in at QB at practice? I haven't heard or seen any of the coaches or MikeRob talk about that. Not trying to be an ass, I'm genuinely curious.

I don't think that'd happen.
If Wilson or Jackson went down we'd pick up another QB.
If both went down in a game we've probably got someone else that can snap the ball and give it to Lynch

CornerHawk

Reaction score
Hawkfish":2x1zxusv said:
I bet we only carry two with MikeRob as emergency. Too much neeed/talent to carry another clipboard holder.

If I recall correctly, Kam is the emergency QB.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
12thMan1":1sfskvnw said:

Needing the #3 QB would be in extremis. That would mean BOTH Wilson and Jackson (assuming) get knocked out. It happens very rarely in the NFL.

You are talking about an in-game emergency, not afterwards where they would bring in a free agent. At that point, you would need a guy to take snaps and hand the ball off and hope the defense could win the game for us. Mike Rob makes sense, he is a former QB, he is cerebral and he knows all the running plays down pat.

The decision is do you keep a third QB on the active roster, a guy who has a less than 1% chance of ever playing in game...ahead of another RB, OL/DL or LB (positions that would most likely be impacted), guys that would contribute on special teams.

The proof is in the pudding - we only went with 2 last season, and that was with a rookie QB starting. That really shows you where Carroll is at with it.

CANHawk

Reaction score
themunn":3w14kobs said:
12thMan1":3w14kobs said:

I don't think that'd happen.
If Wilson or Jackson went down we'd pick up another QB.
If both went down in a game we've probably got someone else that can snap the ball and give it to Lynch

MRob would be an emergency QB insomuch that he would step in and finish the game should the unthinkable happen where both Russ AND TJ went down (cross self, knock on wood). And he's likely only handing the ball off 30 times at that. You could bet your house that JS would have Josh Portis &/or Jerrod Johnson &/or SOMEBODY else &/or ANYBODY else in the building Monday morning to start at QB the next week.

There is precicely ZERO chance that MRob would ever START at quarterback.

Seafan

Reaction score
Josh Portis may join the PS after the Argonauts season is over. Quinn will play a lot and he'll know the system when he gets the boot. He'll be the Hawks taxi squad QB this season. Too bad he's not more consistent.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Practice Squad for Quinn? Slap in the face for him but after last night that might be the best he could hope for.

671hawk

Reaction score
If we are down to our 3rd/emergency QB, the game is over anyway. Hopefully we are up by 21+ points by then.

We just need a PS guy to fill in clipboard duties on game day if need be.

671hawk

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":3cozh2xt said:
Practice Squad for Quinn? Slap in the face for him but after last night that might be the best he could hope for.

Quinn is a vet. I doubt he would have any PS eligibility.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
671hawk":2mqzjapt said:
Evil_Shenanigans":2mqzjapt said:

Quinn is a vet. I doubt he would have any PS eligibility.

Yeah, Quinn stopped having P.S. eligibility about 6 seasons ago, lol.

Hawks46

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3vixn3fz said:
We will only keep 2, like last year. The need for a #3 QB does not trump the desire to keep a valuable member of the roster at another position, IMO. The possibility of needing a #3 QB for a portion of a game is remote compared to the contributions we might get elsewhere.

M Rob gives us a luxury of having an emergency #3 QB in place.

It's not always as a backup to the backup, or emergency plan, why teams will keep a 3rd QB. Look at GB...they keep 3 QBs and Rodgers is amazingly healthy, even though he's one of the most sacked QBs in the league.

Schneider came from GB, and they like to get a guy in the draft, coach him up for a couple of years, let him tear it up in the preseason, then trade him for picks.

I agree with the rest of the comments that we have too much roster talent to burn a spot on a 3rd QB this year. If we needed draft picks, we could trade some of our younger CBs to a team that really needs one (Carolina, Jacksonville, etc.). Strangely enough, it almost seems like we really don't need a ton of draft picks, with the mid and late round success rate we've had, coupled with finding good UDFA's that can play.

Latest posts