Preseason impressions Game 1

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Preseason impressions Game 1
Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:43 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:I continue to be really worried about RG. Sweezy still seems to be struggling to pass block.

    Even though Alvin Bailey is a rookie, he would have more experience. He played the position in college. Since they like to have versatile lineman, maybe they'll try him inside as well.
    World Champion
    Image
    Seattle Seahawks
    User avatar
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 925
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:54 am
    Location: Orlando, FL


Re: Preseason impressions Game 1
Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:40 pm
  • TeamoftheCentury wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:I continue to be really worried about RG. Sweezy still seems to be struggling to pass block.


    Even though Alvin Bailey is a rookie, he would have more experience. He played the position in college. Since they like to have versatile lineman, maybe they'll try him inside as well.


    Bailey was tossing b*tches around last night! Love me some Alvin. Nice guy, too...he was one of the autographs I got on my custom jersey at camp.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7492
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: Preseason impressions Game 1
Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:33 pm
  • I saw things just a little differently with Michael. The run blocking wasn't really there in the first half, and I'd need to watch again to be sure but I don't remember him missing any running lanes in the first team offense. I do remember him misreading one rush up the middle in the 2nd half though, picking up 5 yards when making the more obvious cut could have gone 20+. The broadcast had a closeup on Michael after that play and he looked a little upset with himself.

    The blocking was better in the 2nd half but I thought Michael also looked more like himself in the latter stages of the game. In the first half it looked like Michael was just trying to ensure positive yardage, in the 2nd half he showed more aggressiveness and did more damage.

    Overall, Michael showed some significant difference from his A&M days. He didn't explode through holes as often as he did in college, but he improved substantially at maximizing yardage when the blocking wasn't there and he never fumbled. He dialed down the sexiness but dialed up the steadiness. That's probably not by accident. And overall he was still very good despite those changes.

    Agreed completely on Bradford/Lotulelei. I think you summed them up better than I did. The broadcasters were slobbering over Lotulelei but I thought Bradford clearly had the best night of our LBs, and his measurables are very similar to Lotulelei's, too.
    Last edited by kearly on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10995
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Preseason impressions Game 1
Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:44 pm
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    Hawks46 wrote:SD got one where our DLman was chasing a scrambling QB and he went low to block the guy, which is legal. Also not necessary.



    This is a new rule this year, and IMO, it's a necessary one. Defensive linemen and linebackers shouldn't have to worry about being exposed to knee destroying hits in the open field. (The rule came about because of Cushing's injury on an open field cut block.) It was the correct call among a lot of really crappy ones. (Especially the helmet-to-helmet where the hit wasn't even above the shoulder pads.)



    Agreed. The Niners may be without rings had such a rule been installed years ago. There's no place for such tactics in football, whether (technically) legal or not, IMO.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5281
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


Re: Preseason impressions Game 1
Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:41 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    TeamoftheCentury wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:I continue to be really worried about RG. Sweezy still seems to be struggling to pass block.


    Even though Alvin Bailey is a rookie, he would have more experience. He played the position in college. Since they like to have versatile lineman, maybe they'll try him inside as well.


    Bailey was tossing b*tches around last night! Love me some Alvin. Nice guy, too...he was one of the autographs I got on my custom jersey at camp.


    I'm curious to see if Cable tries Bailey at LG or RG in the next few preseason games. Since Okung is the definite starter at LT it would make sense to see if he could own one of our guard spots as a regular season starter. That would be a lot more valuable to the team than a backup tackle position. It also doesn't mean he couldn't be a backup tackle.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1381
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:52 pm


Re: Preseason impressions Game 1
Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:37 pm
  • kearly wrote:I saw things just a little differently with Michael. The run blocking wasn't really there in the first half, and I'd need to watch again to be sure but I don't remember him missing any running lanes in the first team offense. I do remember him misreading one rush up the middle in the 2nd half though, picking up 5 yards when making the more obvious cut could have gone 20+. The broadcast had a closeup on Michael after that play and he looked a little upset with himself.

    The blocking was better in the 2nd half but I thought Michael also looked more like himself in the latter stages of the game. In the first half it looked like Michael was just trying to ensure positive yardage, in the 2nd half he showed more aggressiveness and did more damage.

    Overall, Michael showed some significant difference from his A&M days. He didn't explode through holes as often as he did in college, but he improved substantially at maximizing yardage when the blocking wasn't there and he never fumbled. He dialed down the sexiness but dialed up the steadiness. That's probably not by accident. And overall he was still very good despite those changes.

    Agreed completely on Bradford/Lotulelei. I think you summed them up better than I did. The broadcasters were slobbering over Lotulelei but I thought Bradford clearly had the best night of our LBs, and his measurables are very similar to Lotulelei's, too.


    Wow. Yes, +1 on this.

    *we'll see but I wasn't wow'd much at Lotulelei last night.
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 658
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:14 pm


Re: Preseason impressions Game 1
Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:45 pm
  • It's a first game of preseason, I don't think it holds any value. The only preseason games really worth something are the last two. Especially for the guys who are competing for roster spots.
    Image
    User avatar
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1877
    Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm
    Location: Bay Area, CA


Re: Preseason impressions Game 1
Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:56 pm
  • kearly wrote:I saw things just a little differently with Michael. The run blocking wasn't really there in the first half, and I'd need to watch again to be sure but I don't remember him missing any running lanes in the first team offense. I do remember him misreading one rush up the middle in the 2nd half though, picking up 5 yards when making the more obvious cut could have gone 20+. The broadcast had a closeup on Michael after that play and he looked a little upset with himself.

    The blocking was better in the 2nd half but I thought Michael also looked more like himself in the latter stages of the game. In the first half it looked like Michael was just trying to ensure positive yardage, in the 2nd half he showed more aggressiveness and did more damage.

    Overall, Michael showed some significant difference from his A&M days. He didn't explode through holes as often as he did in college, but he improved substantially at maximizing yardage when the blocking wasn't there and he never fumbled. He dialed down the sexiness but dialed up the steadiness. That's probably not by accident. And overall he was still very good despite those changes.

    Agreed completely on Bradford/Lotulelei. I think you summed them up better than I did. The broadcasters were slobbering over Lotulelei but I thought Bradford clearly had the best night of our LBs, and his measurables are very similar to Lotulelei's, too.


    It's possible that the missed lanes I saw were with the 2's. It's hard to tell who the 1's and 2's are in preseason, with a couple starters out, and all you have to go with is the series. And OL usually play longer than the skill position players, but yea, Michael could've just had sucky blocking with the 1's. I did see some dancing and a couple missed cutbacks, but dancing could've been no blocking.

    As for the LBer commentary, I played LBer so that's nearer to my heart and I get it a bit better. Our LB coach in high school called us his evil RB's, as you read the hole and diagnose it much the same way a RB does to get through. I thought Bradford looked Zach Thomas-ish....he has the exact same build and seems to play very well. Commentators will call 5'11" and 235 a lighweight for a LB, but with a center of gravity that low, you really shed blocks well, and you can scrape off the ass end of a pulling guard like hell on wheels if you're quick.

    Once again, the most encouraging thing for me was the no injuries. What did you think of Powell Kearly? Personally, I thought he played really well at the los, but didn't show much of a counter move or repetoire of pass rush moves, but was hell against the run.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3621
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm


Re: Preseason impressions Game 1
Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:17 am
  • It's preseason for the referees too. This game early on reminded me shades of Superbowl XL. Pretty much every call going against the Seahawks but at least this game doesn't count. I believe there are a couple of reasons for some of the quick penalties: 1) Seattle is earning a reputation as a tough hard physical defense, with that some of these personal foul calls come into play. It's unfortunate but the refs are going to be more tight. 2) Roger Goodell is making it a more of a sissy sport. I understand safety but to compromise the fundamentals of the game and ignore some of the advances in technology that could help make the game safer is ridiculous. Advances in helmet technology or pad protection that he refuses to consider. Absolutely ruining the game. Thus the refs are keen to make more penalty calls whereas in the past they would have let it go. Other than that, good first preseason game and the Seahawks got Ed Hercules as head referee. Not a bad start.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3631
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Preseason impressions Game 1
Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:25 am
  • Cartire wrote:
    McGruff wrote:I also thought the call on Winfield was legit.



    It was not legit. At the game, they showed the replay on the big screen. Winfield leaped over him and only his hand touched CW. There was zero hit. Horrible call.

    The officiating in the first half was piss poor, and I'll leave it at that.

    The thing I thought about the Hawks was confirmed! They are LOADED with depth at most positions, especially on defense. JS is going to earn his paycheck keeping the good players that won't make the squad away from the rival teams, via trade, practice squad, or PUP shenanigans.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11532
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: Lombardi Land


Re: Preseason impressions Game 1
Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:47 pm
  • ZagHawk wrote:Am I the only one who felt like our 1st string defense didn't look that good against the Chargers 1st string offense as they marched up the field for a FG.



    their TE's kept bailing them out, I'm guessing that changes when you replace Bradford with Wagner
    bigcc
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 886
    Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:07 pm




It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:44 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information