Preseason impressions Game 1

Hawks46

Reaction score
I know it's preseason, but I actually got to watch a game, so I thought I'd share what I saw.

First, I know it's preseason, but man I really hope this isn't the way the refs are going to call the season. 4 personal foul penalties in the 1st half, and 3 of them that I saw were complete crap. Whitehurst was running, falling forward, and Winfield jumped on him to touch him down and gets a flag ?? Also a hit on an incompletion that you could see the ref waiting to watch how far the player got bounced from the hit...then throws the flag. Not a necessary flag. SD got one where our DLman was chasing a scrambling QB and he went low to block the guy, which is legal. Also not necessary.

Guess I'll start with offense. I'm not worried about the 1st team offense stalling a lot. San Diego was blitzing a lot, and they definately weren't playing vanilla defense. Wilson was forced to scramble a lot, and it looked like his receivers had a bit of trouble ad libbing with him.

Christine Michael. He was up and down, not all that great against the 1st teamers. He missed a couple of cutbacks and bounced around instead of hitting the hole or cutting to the backside right away. It's expected and I'm not worried about it. Once he played 2nd teamers, he picked up. He had a very good blitz pickup on a CB blitz going inside; he diagnosed the play quickly and took the blitzer out. I like him analyzing the play and not reacting to it. He played as advertised: quick, good burst, and bounces off of contact.

TJACK ! TJACK ! he looked damn good. The one incompletion hit his guy right in the hands and got dropped. When he's scrambling, he actually looks like he has an idea what he wants to do now, unlike before. Much more poised...maybe not having any pressure on him actually helps him out.

OL had some trouble picking up blitzes and there were times Wilson got pressured right away. Unger was out, so this could explain a lot.

WRS. Didn't see much of Tate, Baldwin had a drop, and looked average. Kearse looked good; he had a drop on a deeper pass that he just looked like he misplayed a bit. He made it a tougher catch than he had to. This guy just always get decent separation, and he's always open. I think he makes the team.

Williams. Had a good day. He drew at least one aggregious PI call that didn't get called, and showed good speed. I'm thinking the team keeps him around this year for polish and chemistry and if Rice remains dinged all the time, they either rework his deal next year or let him go.

Willson had one drop of a WIlson pass, but looked decent in run blocking and he gets open fairly easily. With some experience he'll be good.

Ware/Coleman. Both played as advertised, I thought they looked good.

Defense......man we are deep, but we knew that.

Allen Bradford. Wow. This guy is amazing. He HITS people. He's always around the ball, diagnoses plays very well, and brings the thump when he gets there. Very sure tackler, and sheds blocks well. Not as quick sideline to sideline as Wagner, but his instincts are good and he'll usually be where he needs to be.

Lotuleilei. He looked like Polamalu running around out there, except that Polamalu actually breaks down and tackles people. When he first got in there, he flew around and went right by the ball carrier twice, once the RB went offtackle his side for 12 yards. The good thing was he adjusted and the next few times he flew into the line, plugged it up, and got the tackle. He seems a bit raw, but he's really fast and high energy and he also looks good on ST.

Maxwell had a great game. One really nice pick, and one other he almost got. I didn't see anyone get real open on him, and on his pass breakups and INT, he baited the QB into thinking the WR was open and broke on the ball, ala Sherman. I thought he made a great case for a roster spot tonight.

Thurmond. He had a great punt return, but had an average game. Gave up a few receptions; he's where he should be, but he's not overly physical, and doesn't intimidate anyone out there. Definately not blanket coverage and didn't really shut anyone down, but they were playing some zone and that will happen. If he ends up starting, we can say goodbye to the LoBoom. He's just not that thumper that the other guys are.

I really don't know how this competition for the LEO will end up. Man, these younger guys looked GOOD.

Ty Powell. I thought he pass rush was bland: no real moves, no counters that I saw, just ran upfield and bullrushed, but he was effective. If he gets some polish as a pash rusher, he could be damn good. He played insane at the los, standing up TE's, and filling gaps for 2 negative plays against the run.

Benson Mayowa. This guy wasn't as good against the run, but was much more polished rushing the passer. He always finds a way to get home, and doesn't just try to go outside. Very intriguing.

This is getting long, so my favorite thing this game was NO INJURIES. After that, I really liked watching Bradford and the young guys competing for a LEO spot.

LyndseyG

Reaction score
I just watched the archive as the game was on at 3am here and I know I can't comment that much yet as I don't have enough viewing experience to make calls on the players...

I just wanted to say that the 61 yard field goal attempt had me hiding behind my hands!! Sooo close bouncing off the bar!!

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Hawks46":fzuk4710 said:
SD got one where our DLman was chasing a scrambling QB and he went low to block the guy, which is legal. Also not necessary.

This is a new rule this year, and IMO, it's a necessary one. Defensive linemen and linebackers shouldn't have to worry about being exposed to knee destroying hits in the open field. (The rule came about because of Cushing's injury on an open field cut block.) It was the correct call among a lot of really crappy ones. (Especially the helmet-to-helmet where the hit wasn't even above the shoulder pads.)

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
Ok, good to know. The call wasn't really in the open field, it was in the offensive backfield, but maybe that's the same thing. If so, I gladly retract that comment, but I still think the Winfield call was crap.

I also liked the 61 yard FG attempt. That bugger was good from 60 1/2 hehe.

Cartire

Reaction score
McGruff":3vp11m4q said:
I also thought the call on Winfield was legit.

It was not legit. At the game, they showed the replay on the big screen. Winfield leaped over him and only his hand touched CW. There was zero hit. Horrible call.

seahawk 17

Reaction score
Thurmond will get better, he has a lot of rust to knock off. Winfield call was horrible.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Am I the only one who felt like our 1st string defense didn't look that good against the Chargers 1st string offense as they marched up the field for a FG.

dbsn2420

Reaction score
Refs will absolutely continue making hidious calls, I suspect they will try and set a tone and I will continue to curse them every game. I thought the Winfield call was a stretch, the Helmet to helmet was clearly a helmet to shoulder pad hit; how about the early whistle on the Tate catch, and the stripped ball that didn't happen because the call of forward progress was made before the whistle blew? I know refs need some time to get up to speed as well, but I have no expectation that they will be anything but crap again this season.

I love the depth we have all over the field, except at TE.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
ZagHawk":av6bynte said:
Am I the only one who felt like our 1st string defense didn't look that good against the Chargers 1st string offense as they marched up the field for a FG.

Yes, yes you are.

The rest of us thought our D looked GREAT against the Chargers 1st string offense as they marched up the field, sucking nearly 1/2 a quarter of the clock for a FG. :p

hawker84

Reaction score
I too thought the Winfield call was bogus, and the mysterious helmet to helmet was ridiculous.. But it is pre-season for the ref's too.

I thought Michael looked fine, didn't have a lot of holes, but we were missing 2 starters on the line and Miller.

I thought RW looked good, but i'm seeing the same thing as last year, he's scrambling to extend the play, and the recievers are not getting open, that needs to change asap.

I thought Kearse looked good, and that one play he missed would have been a very tough catch, i liked what i saw.

Williams, man what a gem, i see big things from that young man, Sid better bring his A game. I also liked the one reception from Harper, showed good hands.

Defense as a whole, ok, again missing a lot of key starters, but again we saw the open back/TE all series long, we've got to get that reeled in. really like what i saw with the back ups though.

Thurmond, i'll give him a pass, but he gave up several receptions, maxwell looked good, guy looked lost

finally , special teams on both sides looked awsome, lot of playmakers on this team.

hawker84

Reaction score
Oh ya, and TJack, very very impressed with his poise, pocket awareness, and his arm looked crisp.. Quinn? not so much

TJack will be the number 2, book it.

Clayfighter

Reaction score
Did anyone else hate the commentators as much as I did? And the drawn out bbq bit? I wanted to hit mute. :x

m0ng0

Reaction score
Clayfighter":18e1i4l6 said:
Did anyone else hate the commentators as much as I did? And the drawn out bbq bit? I wanted to hit mute. :x

I had Curt Menefee and Brock Huard, they did ok. I heard Fouts and some other guy were pretty sad.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
m0ng0":31oe2qfk said:
I had Curt Menefee and Brock Huard, they did ok. I heard Fouts and some other guy were pretty sad.

What was your opinion of Huard? I prefer him to Moon.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Clayfighter":35tb3h09 said:

Fouts is so much better as a color guy. Play by play he's way over his head.

I cringed when he kept calling the iffy personal foul calls "cheap shots".. and he butchered a lot of names - this before all the reserves came in.

gargantual

Reaction score
Haven't seen the first half yet, but liked having Huard in there. He belongs in the broadcast booth. His "choirboy" shtick on 710 gets old, but like his show a lot. I miss his chemistry w Salk (although O'Neil was a decent conciliation prize), but overall his history with and knowledge of the Hawks make him nice to listen to.

Wish he'd stop with all the "goosing" about Peyton Manning. Geez, he sounds like a wannabe, failed movie starlet name-dropping.....never, ever missing a chance to remind everyone that he backed him up in Indy. Well, I suppose he makes it up with all the slobbering he does about Wilson.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2n06dlfz said:
Clayfighter":2n06dlfz said:

I cringed when he kept calling the iffy personal foul calls "cheap shots".. and he butchered a lot of names - this before all the reserves came in.

Ruskell Willsong throws it to Stephan Wilhelm for a touchdown!

gargantual

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":22cqybgn said:
Clayfighter":22cqybgn said:

Fouts has always struck me as an awkward guy, the kind that stands off alone at a party, wishing he could think of something witty to say so people will like him. His color commentary is superb, but his delivery always comes off as forced (especially the play by play), and he often rambles through parts where he should be calling important plays and often leaves sentences half completed, like he doesn't really seque smoothly into a new topic.

Sometimes that can come with practice/experience, but you have to have some natural aptitude for doing it, which I don't think he's ever had. Of course, I've only heard him call, what, 3 or 4 games, so not the biggest sample size.