The "Percy Harvin" effect. Hawk drop to #4 in several polls.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I know a lot of people here hate power polls, but I heard on Kiro Radio in Seattle today that they had dropped from #1/#2 to #4/#6 in several pre-season power polls this week. It has got to be the Percy Harvin effect, and it is mentioned in a couple of them. Personally, I love our returning recievers from last year, and when Percy hopefully comes back later in the season, it will be a boost to send us into the playoffs. I take these things with a grain of salt, but thought I'd throw it out there for discussion as we head into pre-season action. This is a Bing link so you can weed through 'em yourself.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=seahawks+d ... power+poll

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I said "I take these things with a grain of salt, but thought I'd throw it out there". Doesn't mean I agree with it, it's just Seahawks related and thought some would be interested.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Good. It is inferring that with out Harvin the Hawks are just another pretty good team. The players will like that ;)

13thMan

Reaction score
You really do have to take these polls with a grain of salt... It's all just opinions and speculation, etc. I do think Harvin has much to do with this, but I also feel like our schedule has a fair bit to do with it also. Let's face it, we just haven't established that we can win on the road vs. good teams... I wasn't even surprised when we lost to Detroit and Miami last year... Is it the 12th man that puts us over the top and makes us look at world beaters at home? Immaturity? Young team? Not sure... fact is, our schedule is considerably more difficult this season, and I think that has a lot to do with these polls... and cause for concern. Is it September yet???

Throwdown

Reaction score
BlueThunder":17gefkiu said:
I said "I take these things with a grain of salt, but thought I'd throw it out there". Doesn't mean I agree with it, it's just Seahawks related and thought some would be interested.

I know but I'm just getting it out the way for everyone else.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Throwdown":fvthbi7u said:
BlueThunder":fvthbi7u said:

I know but I'm just getting it out the way for everyone else.

;) 8)

Perfundle

Reaction score
13thMan":hcdlmfww said:
You really do have to take these polls with a grain of salt... It's all just opinions and speculation, etc. I do think Harvin has much to do with this, but I also feel like our schedule has a fair bit to do with it also. Let's face it, we just haven't established that we can win on the road vs. good teams... I wasn't even surprised when we lost to Detroit and Miami last year... Is it the 12th man that puts us over the top and makes us look at world beaters at home? Immaturity? Young team? Not sure... fact is, our schedule is considerably more difficult this season, and I think that has a lot to do with these polls... and cause for concern. Is it September yet???
I'm pretty sure Seattle's schedule didn't change from last week to this one; if it was only because of the schedule Seattle wouldn't have been ranked first in these polls to begin with.

13thMan

Reaction score
Yes, I get that the schedule didn't change... I think Harvin was the consensus equalizer for the tougher schedule in the pundits' eyes... Thus, Harvin goes down and schedule stays the same would cause a drop in the polls... Again, I'm speculating but that's what I think.

HawkWow

Reaction score
IF they want to down-grade us for any reason, it should be based on our schedule of impressive road opponents. An impressive win at Carolina erases any doubt. We are better than we were last year and prior to the Harvin acquisition, most felt we were the team to beat in '13. I'm of the opinion that picking up Harvin probably lit fires under the okoles of Tate and Baldwin, thus making them more dangerous than years past.

As far as Harvin returning this year: I wouldn't count on it. He's not played a down since week 10 of last year which means he will have missed an entire year (plus) before suiting up with a team he's never played with before. I suppose he could likely return kick-offs (if 110%) but why mess with that? By that time, someone (Michael?) will have stepped up and I don't think we should dick around with any established continuity.

Knowing Harvin, he will probably end up with a career ending injury the first time he touches the ball, anyway. Better we make him a $67 million decoy until his contract expires. The mere threat of putting Harvin in a game will be enough to discombobulate every defense. He's just that good.

13thMan

Reaction score
@HawkWow - All good points, and I would absolutely agree that, at this point, there is virtually no reason to put our glass wideout on the field this season UNLESS we are fighting at the end for the west. I for one have actually tempered my expectations a bit since the schedules came out... I don't think there is a team in the NFL with a tougher schedule given our road games and the division we play in... Further, and I hate to say it but, I think it would require 13 wins for the Hawks to take the division... that is a tall order. But hey, at least football season is just about back in full swing and there is a game tomorrow!

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Found PFT's explanation pretty comical. They listed us at #4 after saying we were the best team in football the last month of the season but outside of losing Harvin (who we didn't have) they really didn't give a reason for us to decline all while talking about all the FA acquisitions.

Meanwhile their #1 ranked team, the Niners breakdown was comprised of about 80% explanation of downside, explaining injuries and tons of losses of starters while relying on unproven replacements and rookies and never once explained why they thought they would be improved or ave somehow improved over the team they said was the best in football the last month of the year and only got stronger.

Apparently Harvin is beyond good, the guy is somehow magical. To be able to decrease the quality of a football team without ever playing a snap is a pretty amazing thing but somehow I suspect even if Harvin were healthy and ready to go we still wouldn't have topped that list.

Apparently the Niners only have to weather the storm of losing Crabtree, Walker, Manningham and Williams with guys like Jenkins and Lockette while Seattle is in dire need of Harvin to return and save us from Rice, Tate, Baldwin and Miller or maybe the loss of McCoy's 18 catches is greater than losing their #1, #2, #4 and #5 targets from last year.

Anyway these things seem to be pandering to the readers more than using actual analysis so I guess we will see when the bullets start firing.

brettb3

Reaction score
13thMan":12ht11sb said:
@HawkWow - All good points, and I would absolutely agree that, at this point, there is virtually no reason to put our glass wideout on the field this season UNLESS we are fighting at the end for the west. I for one have actually tempered my expectations a bit since the schedules came out... I don't think there is a team in the NFL with a tougher schedule given our road games and the division we play in... Further, and I hate to say it but, I think it would require 13 wins for the Hawks to take the division... that is a tall order. But hey, at least football season is just about back in full swing and there is a game tomorrow!
According to Football Outsiders, San Fran's schedule is more difficult than ours. We'll see. Personally, I never let the schedule dictate my expectations because it's impossible to know how difficult it will be before the season.

mretrade

Reaction score
Williams is going to be ready week 1. Manningham probably by week 3 if not by week 1. Delanie Walker is the back up tight end. lol.

HawkWow

Reaction score
13thMan":3akfbfhc said:

I think we're going to be OK, bro. Just a gut feeling...but I have a hunch SF isn't as advertised and the Rams won't be sneaking up on us, either. I think we sweep the division and I won't be stunned if SF is swept by both us and the Rams. I suspect we can win the division with 12 (perhaps even 11). But with that in mind...the schedule makers did us no favors and I fear we may be traveling for the conference title game. Go Hawks!

HawkWow

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1053pbqn said:
Found PFT's explanation pretty comical. They listed us at #4 after saying we were the best team in football the last month of the season but outside of losing Harvin (who we didn't have) they really didn't give a reason for us to decline all while talking about all the FA acquisitions.

Meanwhile their #1 ranked team, the Niners breakdown was comprised of about 80% explanation of downside, explaining injuries and tons of losses of starters while relying on unproven replacements and rookies and never once explained why they thought they would be improved or ave somehow improved over the team they said was the best in football the last month of the year and only got stronger.

Apparently Harvin is beyond good, the guy is somehow magical. To be able to decrease the quality of a football team without ever playing a snap is a pretty amazing thing but somehow I suspect even if Harvin were healthy and ready to go we still wouldn't have topped that list.

Apparently the Niners only have to weather the storm of losing Crabtree, Walker, Manningham and Williams with guys like Jenkins and Lockette while Seattle is in dire need of Harvin to return and save us from Rice, Tate, Baldwin and Miller or maybe the loss of McCoy's 18 catches is greater than losing their #1, #2, #4 and #5 targets from last year.

Anyway these things seem to be pandering to the readers more than using actual analysis so I guess we will see when the bullets start firing.

LMAO @ "Magical" Harvin. He's like a flippin' leprachon. But wait...aren't leprachons supposed to be lucky?? Absolutely. Know anyone luckier than Percy "jus chillin da couch wit da lil man, than I half to LOL all the way down their to da bank" Harvin?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Throwdown":2qeu1emt said:
Oh lawd Jesus we're doomed, just give us Jadaveon Clowney now!!!

But just think about how sick our defense would be.....

It's worth one season right ? I mean, look what the Colts did !

sutz

Reaction score
Most of these pundits only follow a couple of 'key' players on each team. So, yeah, I'd say it could be a 'Percy Harvin' effect.

They're for entertainment value anyway, just to generate hits on websites. Sure, I read my share of them, but they don't mean anything.

hawk45

Reaction score
Harvin had a big value as insurance for Rice. Without Harvin, we're counting on Rice to go injury free 2 years in a row. To me, that downgrades our chances of the WRs playing at the level they played at last year.

Not saying it's a killer for a team with this D and this run game, but I can see dropping a couple of spots for that reason.