Anyone else not really bothered about pre-season this year?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Last year I remember being as excited as I've ever been for pre-season. The quarterback competition added a real dynamic and gave the games some relevance.

This year, it's the exact opposite IMO.

After the Harvin injury, about 18 guys sitting out camp on a single day... this just looks like a 'nothing to gain' type pre-season. It's basically a case of keeping fingers crossed that we don't pick up any further injuries. I'd take an 0-4 pre-season record, no drama, no injuries. Quietly get into that Panthers game with most of the starters available.

First thing I'll look out for when I wake up on Friday (Chargers game begins at 3am here) will be no major injury headlines. Score comes second. And yeah, it'll be interesting to see some of the rookies and fringe guys. But nothing major.

And this is again says a lot about how far this team has come. It's about time pre-season felt like this. Let's get to business.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• I'm excited for pre-season because it means getting to see the team on the field again, which I expect to carry a fair amount of emotional relief with it. It also means that real football is near which is really the most exciting thing about it. But I agree with you, because at the same time, I don't find myself looking for any one thing in particular and until now I haven't been able to put my finger on how to make those two aspects mesh.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• I always go apeshit for preseason. I love seeing the rookies perform, I love the camp storylines, and I love the drama associated with roster cuts. Preseason is awesome. By this time of the year, I am a Seahawks junkie looking for a quick fix, and a preseason game fits that bill nicely.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Excited about pre season?

Well read this then and again.

Well to make english, and I suspect others happy I agreed to unlock this thread about pre-season until tomorrow's game.
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:I'm excited for pre-season because it means getting to see the team on the field again, which I expect to carry a fair amount of emotional relief with it. It also means that real football is near which is really the most exciting thing about it. But I agree with you, because at the same time, I don't find myself looking for any one thing in particular and until now I haven't been able to put my finger on how to make those two aspects mesh.

Think it speaks volumes really. When you look at the team, we're not desperately praying for that unknown guy to break through. We all pined to see Portis or Teel at QB, or a guy at running back to see if he could step up. Or whatever.

Now the team is set and ready. And while it'll be good to see the new guys on the field, it still feels different to previous pre-seasons. Which isn't a bad thing.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Im excited for several reasons.

1. Football is finally upon us

You're going to see Christine Michael right off the bat," Carroll said. "I don't mind telling you that. I'm kind of anxious to see that myself."

Expect a good deal of the carries to wind up in the hands of Michael on Thursday night.

"He's going to get a load," Carroll said.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• I'm excited in different ways.

Last year, like you mentioned English, there were more questions marks and a major QB competition that was pretty much THE storyline in the NFL preseason aside from how Payton Manning's neck was doing.

There was a lot more player development to look forward to: Wagner, Irvin, Sherman's progress, Wilson, who'd step up at WR, etc.

I'm always excited about player development and this year is no different: Christine Michael, Jessee Williams, Hill, how Winfield fits in, where Thurmond fits in, etc.

We're more set, but honestly, I'm really not worried about injures; we're so stacked that most would have a minimal impact. I'm more excited in the preaseason this year because I have more expectations for the team. It doesn't necessarily mean I'm excited ABOUT the preseason, but I'm definately more excited for the start of football this year than last year.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Last year was the only time I've really ever been into the preseason, because of the QB situation, and probably won't watch much this year either. Very, very little of it matters, even if a player plays very well or very poorly. What the player does every day in practice is still of way more importance.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• You nailed it, Rob. This is how the preseason is supposed to feel. Good teams know they're good. Good teams have most of their jobs figured out. These are just practice games. Besides looking at rooks and fringe roster guys battling for the last spots on the team, there's very little to learn. In past seasons we were hoping the fringe guys would save us. Now they are allowed to be what they are. Fringe players who will be lucky to make the team.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

• Like Christmas eve to me. :0190l:
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• SeaTown81 wrote:You nailed it, Rob. This is how the preseason is supposed to feel. Good teams know they're good. Good teams have most of their jobs figured out. These are just practice games. Besides looking at rooks and fringe roster guys battling for the last spots on the team, there's very little to learn. In past seasons we were hoping the fringe guys would save us. Now they are allowed to be what they are. Fringe players who will be lucky to make the team.

As a counterpoint, the preseason games aren't "practice games" to those hoping to make the team. I'm anxious to see the 2nd and 3rd team depth for our team, and how it comes together. P and J have been good at finding UDFA and late-round talent; this is where it should shine in the sun. I think we could learn a lot about depth and upcoming talent.

I guess I'm just excited to seeing a body in a hawk logo actively hitting someone else again.
    NET Veteran

• It does feel different.

But there are plenty of question marks remaining on roster spots, so I'm excited to watch the newbies.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Score is not second on my list of what I care about.

More like about 4th or 5th.

;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I would say that in terms of preseason excitement, this year is probably a 5 out of 10, whereas last year was off the charts.

I am stoked to see Christine Michael, though I heard he got knicked up a bit in practice recently. It's possible he might not play tomorrow. I am excited to see the new defense and all the new front seven players. I am excited to see the new offensive linemen- particularly Alvin Bailey who looked very promising in drills.

These roster battles do matter quite a bit, as today's backups are tomorrow's starters. This preseason is a huge opportunity for Jermaine Kearse to play himself into possible 2014 starter status. It's a chance for Alvin Bailey or Rishaw Johnson to maybe steal a starting guard job away from Carp/McGinger with great performances. Bobby Wagner is our only linebacker who should feel safe about keeping a full time job- the competition is going to be intense at LB. I'm not a huge fan of Winston Guy right now, but he's got a massive opportunity in front of him if he can manage the kind of preseason that Jeron Johnson seems to have every year.

I definitely sense there are a few future Shermans and Chancellors out there. This preseason might be our first chance to discern which ones they are.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• kearly wrote:I definitely sense there are a few future Shermans and Chancellors out there. This preseason might be our first chance to discern which ones they are.

That would sure be awesome, and it's great that we pretty much expect that "diamonds in the rough" will be found in the later rounds. It's happened so consistently that it can't just be rationalized away as a statistical fluke anymore (although our whiner friends will certainly do their best to do so),

I wonder if we'll see enough in the preseason to be able to project that. Does anyone remember Sherm, Chancellor, etc really standing out as early as the preseason? I don't recollect that, but my memory isn't very good.
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

• Its nice to not be praying for a spark of hope for once.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• I am concerned that Michael is a fumbler, so I will be monitering this situation very closely.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Scottemojo wrote:I am concerned that Michael is a fumbler, so I will be monitering this situation very closely.

Nice!
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• kearly wrote:Bobby Wagner is our only linebacker who should feel safe about keeping a full time job- the competition is going to be intense at LB.

"I beg to differ"...

Love, K.J. Wright

Probably just an oversight, but K.J. is tragically underrated.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Scottemojo wrote:I am concerned that Michael is a fumbler, so I will be monitering this situation very closely.

I'm not worried about Michael being a fumbler because I already know he is one. What I'm worried about is his health. He had two significant leg injuries in college and it's not like he had 1500 carries or anything. I don't want to accuse him of being made of glass, but right now I am about as nervous over his health as I was over Okung's health a couple years ago.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• FlyingGreg wrote:
    kearly wrote:Bobby Wagner is our only linebacker who should feel safe about keeping a full time job- the competition is going to be intense at LB.

"I beg to differ"...

Love, K.J. Wright

Wright's in competition for his job with one of the other linebackers, or am I just going senile 50 years early? Granted, whoever he's competing with, Wright would probably win.

I don't think Wright is underrated. I think .net has him pegged pretty well.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I wanna see jordan hill and jaye Howard
    Lynch Mob
    NET Veteran

• I agree with the sentiment that we do not need to see anything out of the preseason this year in order to be excited about the real season. On the other hand, there really are a lot of interesting roster battles once you look beyond the starters. The games themselves only reveal a bit but are still interesting pieces of the puzzle.

The offensive line is the most intriguing unit for me because there is so much speculation and no hard information. Is it fair to say that Alvin Bailey is the surprise of training camp? If McQuistan gets the job over Carpenter then I think it is plausible that Bailey makes the squad as the backup LT. Is Moffitt getting reps at center in order to possibly free up Jeanpierre's spot? Carpenter or McQuistan? Sweezy or Moffitt? Can Okung improve on 13! penalties this year?
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• AgentDib wrote:The offensive line is the most intriguing unit for me because there is so much speculation and no hard information. Is it fair to say that Alvin Bailey is the surprise of training camp? If McQuistan gets the job over Carpenter then I think it is plausible that Bailey makes the squad as the backup LT. Is Moffitt getting reps at center in order to possibly free up Jeanpierre's spot? Carpenter or McQuistan? Sweezy or Moffitt? Can Okung improve on 13! penalties this year?

Additionally, JR Sweezy showed last year that all bets are off.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I don't remember there being much of a QB controversy last year going into the preseason games.

I think most of us were content that Flynn was going to be the guy, then we saw Wilson play and went... this dude can play... he might be better than Flynn...

Then there was a little QB controversy for a while.

In response to the original question, I'm just looking forward to seeing some of the young guys fight for roster spots, and hoping none of the major players get seriously hurt.
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

• This pre season feels like this years draft. I'm into it now that it's here but not like the last 4 seasons.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Pete's comments about O-line players getting a lot of procedural penalties IN CAMP could make for some long and frustrating games in the pre-season.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• FlyingGreg wrote:
    kearly wrote:Bobby Wagner is our only linebacker who should feel safe about keeping a full time job- the competition is going to be intense at LB.

"I beg to differ"...

Love, K.J. Wright

I get the impression that kearly really doesn't like Wright, as I've seen a lot of comments of similar ilk, even before we picked up more linebackers.

KJ is a stone cold lock to start
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:

"I beg to differ"...

Love, K.J. Wright

Wright's in competition for his job with one of the other linebackers, or am I just going senile 50 years early? Granted, whoever he's competing with, Wright would probably win.

I don't think Wright is underrated. I think .net has him pegged pretty well.

You are going senile. Wright is a lock to start at the Will.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• minormillikin wrote:I don't remember there being much of a QB controversy last year going into the preseason games.

I think most of us were content that Flynn was going to be the guy, then we saw Wilson play and went... this dude can play... he might be better than Flynn...

Then there was a little QB controversy for a while.

In response to the original question, I'm just looking forward to seeing some of the young guys fight for roster spots, and hoping none of the major players get seriously hurt.

Not sure about that... I seem to remember a degree of clamour for Wilson from some people, myself included. Really just felt like we might as well see what we have with RW who had potential rather than just plod on with an obvious place holder in Flynn. After one pre-season game that intensified. By Denver it had exploded.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• I'm getting a 30 pack up in this bitch for tonight. I'm super excited
    Treefiddy
    NET Rookie

• I'm excited because from now on there is football every week until our last game February 2, 2014 :thirishdrinkers:
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I'm excited to see the new players, see the new uni's again (live) see the starters and how the gel for the 2,3 possesions they'll be out there.

but mostly i'm excited because i've never been this informed about my team than i have been since i joined the .NET.. I'll be looking at positions and roster competitions that I would have never considered to focus on.. I appreciate all the info shared on this board, and because of that, i've never been more excited about a start of a season than I am now. much props to the members of this board...(and guests)
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:Pete's comments about O-line players getting a lot of procedural penalties IN CAMP could make for some long and frustrating games in the pre-season.

And it happened over and over when I was there! They had terrible technique and concentration.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• That's the thing you see in really great teams. They go right down the field and don't get stupid penaltys that stall drives.
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• The Radish wrote:That's the thing you see in really great teams. They go right down the field and don't get stupid penaltys that stall drives.

Our offense under Pete Carroll has rarely done that, even in our best moments. Instead, we've been more the type of offense to score off big plays, because we've become weirdly and unusually good at keeping the big plays coming. Adding a steady, methodical quality will only give us more dimensions, but it'll have to wait until our O-line becomes more reliable.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:14 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information