Will Thurmond win the job over Browner...?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Browner is probably the league's nastiest press corner, and he combines that with smart play, good awareness, a big wingspan and soft hands. He's actually pretty fast in a dead sprint too, its just that he lacks fluidity which really hurts him against quicker receivers with regards to short area quickness. Browner is also a very nice player to have in run support. Browner was a legit pro-bowler in 2011 and was even better in 2012 (disqualified - Adderall).

    So it's with no disrespect when I agree with many others that Thurmond is the better of the two. Thurmond's ball skills rival Sherman's, and the rest of his game isn't terribly far behind. Maybe Thurmond really can't stay healthy, but if he does stay on the field, he's on his way to doing great things.

    IIRC, Pete didn't shy away from getting his backup DBs on the field last season, even before we lost Browner. So I expect we'll see a lot of rotating at the position, and both will be 2013 contributors.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10231
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • Its nice to talk about what we would like to see, or want to see, from different bench talents on this team. We happen to be so lucky as to have a lot of talent in the defensive backfield right now.

    But make no mistake, only one person calling themselves a DB on this team is going to make this play:

    (can't embed its the strip fumble that changed the game in Carolina last year)

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap1000000078006/Browner-forces-and-recovers-fumble
    User avatar
    Beeker
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 145
    Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:36 pm


  • kearly wrote:
    IIRC, Pete didn't shy away from getting his backup DBs on the field last season, even before we lost Browner. So I expect we'll see a lot of rotating at the position, and both will be 2013 contributors.


    From Football Outsiders (all season): http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

    Jeron Johnson - 13% of defensive snaps
    Byron Maxwell - 14% of defensive snaps
    Jeremy Lane - 16% of defensive snaps
    Marcus Trufant - 35% of defensive snaps
    Walter Thurmond - 7% of defensive snaps
    Brandon Browner - 74% of defensive snaps

    Just to give everyone an idea of how these numbers actually did bear out last year, keeping in mind injuries and suspensions.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3447
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


  • Smaller receivers can go ahead and catch the ball, but they won't get far.

    Image

    I like Thurmond, but he just doesn't strike fear into the heart of opposing receivers like Browner does.
    User avatar
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1190
    Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:29 pm


  • Beeker wrote:Its nice to talk about what we would like to see, or want to see, from different bench talents on this team. We happen to be so lucky as to have a lot of talent in the defensive backfield right now.

    But make no mistake, only one person calling themselves a DB on this team is going to make this play:

    (can't embed its the strip fumble that changed the game in Carolina last year)

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap1000000078006/Browner-forces-and-recovers-fumble

    Bench talent? He was once the starting corner over Sherman. I don't think Thurmond should get the nod over BB like some (I'd actually like to see him as the nickel) but he's definitely not a "bench talent".
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6816
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


  • All I know is if WT3 is healthy, good lord our secondary is LOADED.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 4635
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • UGotHawked wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:I've never seen anything to make me believe Browner is the better corner. Better hitter, maybe, but let's not get so absorbed with the Legion of Boom that we forget the art of playing cornerback. Browner is a plus-size Big Play Babs; positive plays interspersed with getting burnt too often, rather than consistent excellence. If WT3 can offer better, he deserves the job.


    I've seen one thing - HEALTH.



    ^ Only relevant comment.
    "Somebody needs to work some Photoshop magic and put Harbaugh in the car with Pete handing him a nice warm glass of Shut the F*ck Up"
    User avatar
    SlimHawk80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 757
    Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:00 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa


  • Tech Worlds wrote:I would love to have thurmond be the starter and use Browner for depth behind Thurmond and Kam. I think thurmond is the better corner.


    I still see Browner as an awesome SS, I know that position is filled, but..I think he would be perfect in it.
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 235
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


  • -The Glove- wrote:
    Beeker wrote:Its nice to talk about what we would like to see, or want to see, from different bench talents on this team. We happen to be so lucky as to have a lot of talent in the defensive backfield right now.

    But make no mistake, only one person calling themselves a DB on this team is going to make this play:

    (can't embed its the strip fumble that changed the game in Carolina last year)

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap1000000078006/Browner-forces-and-recovers-fumble

    Bench talent? He was once the starting corner over Sherman. I don't think Thurmond should get the nod over BB like some (I'd actually like to see him as the nickel) but he's definitely not a "bench talent".


    Then start a Thurmond over Sherman thread.

    I did say we are so lucky in this regard. I've been a fan long enough to remember when it wasn't fun to talk about the DBs and who might start.
    User avatar
    Beeker
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 145
    Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:36 pm


  • Beeker wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:
    Beeker wrote:Its nice to talk about what we would like to see, or want to see, from different bench talents on this team. We happen to be so lucky as to have a lot of talent in the defensive backfield right now.

    But make no mistake, only one person calling themselves a DB on this team is going to make this play:

    (can't embed its the strip fumble that changed the game in Carolina last year)

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap1000000078006/Browner-forces-and-recovers-fumble

    Bench talent? He was once the starting corner over Sherman. I don't think Thurmond should get the nod over BB like some (I'd actually like to see him as the nickel) but he's definitely not a "bench talent".


    Then start a Thurmond over Sherman thread.

    I did say we are so lucky in this regard. I've been a fan long enough to remember when it wasn't fun to talk about the DBs and who might start.

    Lol what?

    From the looks of it, it still isn't fun for you. Relax a bit. :grin:
    Last edited by -The Glove- on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6816
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


  • Health is relevant to any player. Thurmond could have had a run of bad luck. I think they want to see if he can hold up for a year, in case we can't resign Sherman.

    I see them doing much like they are doing with the DL and LB , situation with the corners. The starter? We will see let the best player win it
    User avatar
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm


  • It's amazing to see so many homers jump Montana for a spot on post
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9070
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • We haven't really seen 'Lil 'Walt play.
    BB, however, is a Pro Bowler.

    Remains to be seen.
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We're looking for grit"
    Pete Carroll
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    User avatar
    Rocket
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1191
    Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:12 pm
    Location: The Rain Forest


  • Tech Worlds wrote:It's amazing to see so many homers jump Montana for a spot on post


    Care to elaborate?

    Homers or not... I'll root for whoever starts at the #2 spot. I am partial to last years look though. Just love the size of BB. WTIII has yet to stay healthy, maybe this is Walters year? Perhaps. Go Hawks
    "Somebody needs to work some Photoshop magic and put Harbaugh in the car with Pete handing him a nice warm glass of Shut the F*ck Up"
    User avatar
    SlimHawk80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 757
    Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:00 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa


  • I would love to see Thurmond beat out Browner. For a handful of reasons.

    First of all, I think Thurmond is hands down a more talented player skill wise. And if he was to beat out BB, that would mean he earned it. Both guys have talent. But if realized, I feel that Thurmond's skills are the safer bet.

    Browner's good. Don't get me wrong. What he brings to the Hawks' defense is key and plays a big role in them being successful. But I feel that a big portion of his success is his ability to be allowed to play extremely physical. This is something that, if a ref feels as such, can be taken away. Browner purely skill wise isn't the player we see him as. He's good. But A LOT of his game depends on being allowed to smack wr's around. That's something that quite frankly, I worry about. I've seen games like the playoff game against Washington last year where I was waiting for the following game officiating backlash. That the ref's watched the game tape and saw Browner body slamming wr's down field. And go into the next game keyed in on him, waiting to throw a flag.

    Also, Thurmond is younger by about 3 or so years. If I get to pick the scenario where both players are at peak value, I want to go with the guy who isn't pushing 30.

    And lastly, I think Thurmond will be much cheaper to re-sign. We all know that Richard Sherman is going to get paid BIG TIME. You can't afford to spend that much on the guy opposite him. Especially after paying big money to Kam and ET. If there is a sacrificial lamb that you can't pay amongst the LOB, it's Browner. Even if Thurmond doesn't hit it big for the Hawks, I really can't see them giving Browner that big of a contract. You can only sink in so much $ into your defense, let alone secondary.

    All that said, if Thurmond doesn't clearly win the job over Browner, end of story. My post is mostly a perfect scenario hypothetical, and in that case, what I'd prefer. Thurmond's got talent. But dude's got a long ways to go to prove he can stay healthy.
    User avatar
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 4609
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:35 am
    Location: Seattle, WA


  • Jordan... If thurmond wins the job and can stay healthy he will cost us more to resign then Browner for all the reasons you posted.

    Browner won't have much value on the open market as imo he is only a fit on our team and has Earl there to cover his deficiencies.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9070
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • Thurmond has been impressive when we've got to see him play, problem is that it isn't too much.
    I would love for him to beat out browner, but I would hate to have to decide between the two if it came down to it.
    I honestly think Thurmond is a special talent.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    User avatar
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2054
    Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:40 pm


  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:I've never seen anything to make me believe Browner is the better corner. .


    I have. Starts, INTs, PDs, FFs,TFLs and a probowl.

    I don't think any of us have seen enough of Thurmond in live game action to rationally suggest that he is a probowl caliber player; that is optimism taken slightly too far.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1156
    Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 1:45 pm


  • SalishHawkFan wrote:Wow, you guys are harsh on Browner...Pro Bowl Browner

    Yep, just goes to show ya that some around here couldn't run things like Pete does.
    Why do you think Pete put Browner back into action, as soon as he was available last Season?, because of Browners intimidating style of play.
    His size, and aggression DOES matter to those playing against him.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3324
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • kobebryant wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:I've never seen anything to make me believe Browner is the better corner. .


    I have. Starts, INTs, PDs, FFs,TFLs and a probowl.

    I don't think any of us have seen enough of Thurmond in live game action to rationally suggest that he is a probowl caliber player; that is optimism taken slightly too far.

    THIS!
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3324
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • Tech Worlds wrote:It's amazing to see so many homers jump Montana for a spot on post

    Not jumping on Montana for anything but his, and your homerism for Thurmond.
    Like has already been pointed out, Thurmond hasn't played enough to warrant taking Pro Bowl Browners job.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3324
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • scutterhawk wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:I've never seen anything to make me believe Browner is the better corner. .


    I have. Starts, INTs, PDs, FFs,TFLs and a probowl.

    I don't think any of us have seen enough of Thurmond in live game action to rationally suggest that he is a probowl caliber player; that is optimism taken slightly too far.

    THIS!



    :13:
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 830
    Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 7:15 pm


  • Agreed with the past few posts. LOL at the people asking what Browner has shown us vs. what Thurmond has shown us. I was pumped for Thurmond out of college and think he has talent. People saying he no question is the more talented? Based on what? His junior year of college? Thurmond is still halfway through his first cup of NFL coffee in terms of playing time. He looked pretty good in three games. Fantastic! What has Thurmond shown us? IMO he has shown us that he needs quite a bit longer track record of being able to stay on the field before you risk pissing off one of your better starting players.

    Browner is also still improving. He's already damn good. There isn't a single team in the NFL he wouldn't start for. Of course it would be a good thing if Thurmond outplays him, but to say Thurmond has earned the chance to start after 8 healthy practices is borderline idiotic. Sure, let him run with the 1s a few times to see what he's got and to press Browner to play better. But demote your very good CB for a guy that hasn't shown anything besides looking good in street clothes? Out of the 34 games the Seahawks have played the last two years, Thurmond has been healthy enough to play in 8. If Browner wasn't damn good, sure, roll the dice, but lets see Thurmond can manage to suit up for a few games before we get too far ahead of ourselves.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    User avatar
    Tical21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1270
    Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:37 pm


  • Tech Worlds wrote:Jordan... If thurmond wins the job and can stay healthy he will cost us more to resign then Browner for all the reasons you posted.

    Browner won't have much value on the open market as imo he is only a fit on our team and has Earl there to cover his deficiencies.


    Yeah, that would be true. But that would be in a scenario where Thurmond looks all-pro out there. In my thinking, he merely looks like he's finally starting to click. Which in that case, coupled with his injury history, would likely lead to still having to prove a bit. Where as Browner can point to making the pro bowl and producing for multiple seasons. And while he does have more value to us than many teams. More teams are going after bigger corners in the wake of our success.

    I can see the Hawks re-signing Browner. But it would have to be at a reasonable deal. Maybe you're right, and there aren't any teams out there wanting to give him much due to his age and unique game. In that case, I'd be fine with keeping him.

    And for the record to any folks scoffing at those of us talking up Thurmond and downplaying Browner. I most certainly agree that Thurmond needs to prove he can stay healthy and consistently produce. That remains a gigantic hurdle for him.
    User avatar
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 4609
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:35 am
    Location: Seattle, WA


  • This is a load of garbage. Browner has made multiple game changing clutch plays (Giants, Packers, Panthers) and sets the tone for the physicality of this defense. I'll take Browner any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
    User avatar
    thebanjodude
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 472
    Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 9:18 am


  • Browner also cost us a game in 2011 with the same sort of vulnerability he often displays. KEEP READING. YOU'RE ALREADY CHECKING OUT, ASSUMING WHAT THE REST OF MY POST WILL LOOK LIKE, AND PLANNING YOUR OWN. STICK WITH ME. I'M STILL TALKING.

    I guess I'm not often one to appeal to intangibles. I'll grant that our physicality has made a distinct difference in the way certain teams hold up against us, but that's only part of the picture. Consider that the defense pivots on Earl Thomas, a much smaller guy who will never dominate big receivers like Browner can. It's a reminder that it takes a lot of skill sets to complete a defense. Browner has his uses, has a knack for turnovers, and certainly holds nothing back when he plays for us. But he's not a shutdown corner - lacks fluidity, lacks trustworthiness on deeper plays, and as others have pointed out, his play style is a penalty magnet. He did get better in 2012.

    I think some people have the idea that Thurmond has never played a regular season down for Seattle. He's played in 22 games in three seasons. Frustrated sarcasm over his frequent injuries are bound to cloud people's view of him, but he HAS flashed tremendous talent - of the shutdown variety - in his limited time on the field. And it's not like he was a Ruskell leftover. He was drafted and faithfully retained by the same administration, with the same coverage vision, that scrounged up Browner and made him a Pro Bowler.

    All I'm saying is, the RCB spot should still be considered open to competition. That's not a knock on Browner in this case; it's a compliment to Thurmond. It's a good problem to have, really.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

    Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 11233
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • Pete Carroll just discussed the nickel spot between Winfield and Thurmond as "a real battle" while .net fights over who should start between BB and WT3. Fantastic.

    All will see significant playing time - and that is awesome.
    User avatar
    TheLargentLine
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 200
    Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:35 pm
    Location: Olympia


  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Browner also cost us a game in 2011 with the same sort of vulnerability he often displays. KEEP READING. YOU'RE ALREADY CHECKING OUT, ASSUMING WHAT THE REST OF MY POST WILL LOOK LIKE, AND PLANNING YOUR OWN. STICK WITH ME. I'M STILL TALKING.

    I guess I'm not often one to appeal to intangibles. I'll grant that our physicality has made a distinct difference in the way certain teams hold up against us, but that's only part of the picture. Consider that the defense pivots on Earl Thomas, a much smaller guy who will never dominate big receivers like Browner can. It's a reminder that it takes a lot of skill sets to complete a defense. Browner has his uses, has a knack for turnovers, and certainly holds nothing back when he plays for us. But he's not a shutdown corner - lacks fluidity, lacks trustworthiness on deeper plays, and as others have pointed out, his play style is a penalty magnet. He did get better in 2012.

    I think some people have the idea that Thurmond has never played a regular season down for Seattle. He's played in 22 games in three seasons. Frustrated sarcasm over his frequent injuries are bound to cloud people's view of him, but he HAS flashed tremendous talent - of the shutdown variety - in his limited time on the field. And it's not like he was a Ruskell leftover. He was drafted and faithfully retained by the same administration, with the same coverage vision, that scrounged up Browner and made him a Pro Bowler.

    All I'm saying is, the RCB spot should still be considered open to competition. That's not a knock on Browner in this case; it's a compliment to Thurmond. It's a good problem to have, really.

    Good read. I just have a few questions, maybe digging a little bit.

    In how many of those 22 games did Thurmond play significant time at corner?

    Put the over/under at 12 games, and you have to bet your house. Does Thurmond play more or less this season?

    I would argue that just about every player in the league has flashed significant talent at some point.

    I agree that the RCB should be open to competition, as with every position. I would argue, however, that ANY player drafted in the 4th round because of injury concerns that has shown very little on the field and has missed far more games than they have played would have a right to be considered in that competition, unless the starter is really, really bad.

    I'm all for Walter Thurmond becoming a great player. But at this point he has to have a lot more than a few healthy practices and a couple preseason games under his belt before he can be trusted to replace one of the key contributors to the best secondary in the NFL.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    User avatar
    Tical21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1270
    Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:37 pm


  • scutterhawk wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:It's amazing to see so many homers jump Montana for a spot on post

    Not jumping on Montana for anything but his, and your homerism for Thurmond.
    Like has already been pointed out, Thurmond hasn't played enough to warrant taking Pro Bowl Browners job.

    He beat out All-pro Sherman before he got hurt. In the little I've seen of him, Thurmond has always stuck out to me as being in the right place at the right time. Pete obviously has some type of affinity for Thurmond, otherwise he'd be gone by now being so oft-injured.
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6816
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


  • -The Glove- wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:It's amazing to see so many homers jump Montana for a spot on post

    Not jumping on Montana for anything but his, and your homerism for Thurmond.
    Like has already been pointed out, Thurmond hasn't played enough to warrant taking Pro Bowl Browners job.


    He beat out All-pro Sherman before he got hurt. In the little I've seen of him, Thurmond has always stuck out to me as being in the right place at the right time. Pete obviously has some type of affinity for Thurmond, otherwise he'd be gone by now being so oft-injured.


    Our starting corners in game 1 that season were Marcus Trufant and Brandon Browner... meaning both of them beat out Thurmond and Sherman. Does that mean that Trufant and Browner are the best 2 corners on the team?
    What does that tell you? Yes, Pete Carroll preaches competition, but he values actual playing time over what someone has shown in practice significantly more.

    Also, Sherman wasn't "All-pro" at that point, he was a rookie with 1 year of experience playing cornerback

    TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:Besides I have have seen many many good things from Browner. Beyond his size (which can't be stressed enough in a Carroll run defense) and durability (which cannot simply be ignored) he had 64 passes to his side last season and he gave up 30 receptions. His 5.5 yards/target is the 3rd best in the league. His adjusted success rate - which takes into account penalties was 61% - good for 10th. He certainly benefits from playing opposite Sherman but he is no slouch himself and is well above average as a second outside corner. Anyone remember Kelly Jennings?

    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-a ... stats-2012


    If anything I'd say the opposite is true - because Sherman and Browner don't follow receivers around, he often finds himself lining up against the opposition's number 1 receiver as teams want to avoid Sherman.
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2321
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


  • Wow. This question evokes lots of emotion.

    I was always under the impression that Thurmond was competing for nickel.

    Both are essentially playing for new contracts. Tical said Browner could play for any team. So not true. Browner is a brutal press corner, but doesn't look so good in zone. There will be a number of penalties with his style of play, there just will. Pete has acknowledged as much.

    Montana pointed out he lost a game once. Well, he won the Panthers game. After he settled in, his play vs Washington in the playoffs was great. Brutal, but IIRC, the Washington receivers did a lot of yapping that week and initiatied the rough play.
    And vs Atlanta, Browner was good. Thurmond was where? 22 out of 48 games is not reliable.

    When I try to figure out which one to keep, age vs injuries is the question. Versatility vs single side corner. Brute vs technician. playmaker vs possible shutdown corner who is in repair shop more than half the time. PED user (which might be behind some of the sentiment) vs as yet clean player. I get the feeling a little patience will take care of the question. Jeremy Lane is part of the equation as well.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10505
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:Besides I have have seen many many good things from Browner. Beyond his size (which can't be stressed enough in a Carroll run defense) and durability (which cannot simply be ignored) he had 64 passes to his side last season and he gave up 30 receptions. His 5.5 yards/target is the 3rd best in the league. His adjusted success rate - which takes into account penalties was 61% - good for 10th. He certainly benefits from playing opposite Sherman but he is no slouch himself and is well above average as a second outside corner. Anyone remember Kelly Jennings?

    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-a ... stats-2012


    If anything I'd say the opposite is true - because Sherman and Browner don't follow receivers around, he often finds himself lining up against the opposition's number 1 receiver as teams want to avoid Sherman.[/quote]

    The benefit is having ET over the top favouring his side. Browner would not be as effective without help over the top because jamming the receiver is one of the more effective parts lf his game (which is by design in a Carroll system).

    By the way, on another note, I have never seen the "homer" card played at such an innapropriate time. Backing a pro bowl caliber starting corner vs a guy who has shown flashes of brilliance in 2010 and at three TCs is the furthest thing from homerism. It is simply rational.

    Sherman can play basically 1 on 1 with anyone and can close off his side.

    Thurmond could as well but his lack of physicality off the line hurts him on the outside in our system. Bigger recievers may manhandle him. Our whole defensive backfield philosophy is to disrupt timing by being aggresive off the line. I think with Browner on thr team, Thurmond is more appropriate for the nickel where his fluidity is a great asset.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Image
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    User avatar
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2931
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:16 pm
    Location: Hamilton


  • Interesting discussion, guys. For one thing, I'm certainly glad that the discussion of our DBs has evolved from "who will do the least damage and get burned the fewest times" to "who will be the best player to put out there" with the argument being between some pretty good players.

    We have a good selection of DBs of differing styles, sizes, and talents. Frankly, I could see a bit of mixing and matching vs different opponents and receivers. Even our backups are not slouches. We were in a bit of a panic when BB was suspended last year, but that turned out to be one of the most successful parts of the season. Not because BB was gone, but because our bench stepped up and made us not miss him that much. It ended up being like the OL the year before. Injuries knocked out 'key' players, but the team carried on. If there is one thing that Pete & Co have brought us that we have had little of for many years, it is resilience. Discussions like this only reinforce, to me, how deep this team is across the board.

    In answer to the initial question: Will Thurmond win the job over Browner...? I'd say it's doubtful, but I guess it could happen.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 9899
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Monroe, WA


  • Tical21 wrote:Agreed with the past few posts. LOL at the people asking what Browner has shown us vs. what Thurmond has shown us. I was pumped for Thurmond out of college and think he has talent. People saying he no question is the more talented? Based on what? His junior year of college? Thurmond is still halfway through his first cup of NFL coffee in terms of playing time. He looked pretty good in three games. Fantastic! What has Thurmond shown us? IMO he has shown us that he needs quite a bit longer track record of being able to stay on the field before you risk pissing off one of your better starting players.

    Browner is also still improving. He's already damn good. There isn't a single team in the NFL he wouldn't start for. Of course it would be a good thing if Thurmond outplays him, but to say Thurmond has earned the chance to start after 8 healthy practices is borderline idiotic. Sure, let him run with the 1s a few times to see what he's got and to press Browner to play better. But demote your very good CB for a guy that hasn't shown anything besides looking good in street clothes? Out of the 34 games the Seahawks have played the last two years, Thurmond has been healthy enough to play in 8. If Browner wasn't damn good, sure, roll the dice, but lets see Thurmond can manage to suit up for a few games before we get too far ahead of ourselves.

    Agreed. But it sure is a nice "problem" to have. I still remember the Kelly Jennings days. Except being able to play for anyone. I believe Browner is a system guy that happens to fit our scheme like a glove but have him playing zone? Not so good in my opinion.
    Last edited by MizzouHawkGal on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6325
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


  • I think reading comprehension is an undervalued thing here on the olé message board.

    Nobody is saying that thurmond has earned the starting spot nor should he have it right now. But... If he out plays browner he should get it as the mantra here is competition.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9070
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • Thurmond has a lot to prove. Not only to the coaches but to himself.

    Personally, I don't see him supplanting Browner.
    Image
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22061
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS 2013-2014


  • Let them compete! That has been, and continues to be the ethos of this team. Do I think Thurmond is capable of taking Browners Spot? No, not based on the body of work I have seen from him thus far in his career. Any coach would be a fool to mess with the startlingly efficient combination that is the LOB. Thurmond was brought in to supplant Kelly Jennings IIRC. And he would have, had he stayed healthy and had Browner not come to the party and impressed all with his Pre-season play the following year. As others have mentioned, Sherman is going to be the tipping point for any of these guys. If Sherman winds up getting the kind of money that has been discussed, then the Team will simply have no way to keep the current LOB intact! That opens doors for guys like Lane and Thurmond. It will surely be fun to watch!

    Thursday night can't get here soon enough!
    #NEXTMANUP
    User avatar
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2415
    Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:15 am


  • It's a great problem to have, it's all about depth and competition. Not long ago, we had Jennings and Wilson, ugh.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2615
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • SoulfishHawk wrote:It's a great problem to have, it's all about depth and competition. Not long ago, we had Jennings and Wilson, ugh.


    Touché... and no Shat!! *shudder*
    Image
    User avatar
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1015
    Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Tonasket, WA to Temecula, CA


  • To the question of whether WTIII would beat out Browner for starting RCB, trust has to be part of the conversation with the coaches. If WTIII wins the job based on play, would the secondary coaches put their jobs on the line and sign off on trading Browner for the sake of keeping locker room distractions to a minimum? Sort of like moving Jackson once it was obvious Wilson had the juice. I couldn't make the trade. Could JS/PC?

    The same question applies for WTIII beating out Winfield. I think Thurmond ends up with the same role he had last year when he was active. I do think WTIII will be the more likely of the two vs Browner of being a target to re-sign. I could see the team re-signing him with a chance for him to compete for the starter in place of BB.

    There is also a pretty good chance a trade is going to happen in this position group, though it isn't going to be for a high pick. I think WTIII is a possibility in a trade scenario as well.
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9076
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


  • HawkGA wrote:Browner should be used like the enforcer in hockey. Bring him in to give hard checks, then sit him in the penalty box for a bit. I still love seeing the fight he got into in the Green Bay game.



    That deal with Jennings wasn't it? Set the scene for the rest of the league. As I've said before after someone catches the ball all other receivers become down field blockers. No one else in the league did anything about that since Dick Butkus.

    But Browner wants to give those guys something else to think about than jogging down the field so he legally knocked Jennings on his ass. It was Jennings that jumped up and ran at him ready to fight. He then did the smart thing, (of course the humor in it was a little bitty receiver going after a monster sized DB), grabbed him, protected himself without retaliating. Jennings was the one that should have gotten the penalty there.

    The entire NFC hates Browner because he hits receivers within 5 yards. HIT being the primary word. Everyone else just chucks them, Browner hits them enough to screw up the timing of the play. Receivers are thinking about getting hit rather than catching the ball.

    THIS IS HOW FOOTBALL SHOULD BE PLAYED!!

    I have heard tho can't confirm Browner spoke with the officials and talked about how he played and thought they were giving him penaltys based on their "perception" of him doing something illegal rather than the actual fact of it. Whether its true or not notice how the penaltys directed at him have dropped off a lot since that first season?

    When he's gone, it will be a loss to our team unless someone else comes along to fill his shoes. I'm hoping they manage to keep him a couple of more years with either yearly or perhaps a 2 years contract. I know he's not young by football standards but so far he's still able to do the job.



    :lol:
    Image
    Getting ready for some football
    User avatar
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *
     
    Posts: 18343
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa.


  • Lynch Mob wrote:yeah i think PC would go by the match up becuase Browner don't have Sherman's speed and agility to play against anybody. Thurmond does but he don't have Browner's physicallity so i think if the match up was say Steve Smith from the panthers you start Thurmond.


    Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'd say Browner is the faster of the two between him and Sherm. People underestimate his speed all the time, other than Thomas, i'd say browner is the second fastest out of the starting secondary...
    Last edited by hawker84 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3877
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


  • For those who say that Browner isn't a top 10 corner in this league, is burned to often and all the rest. I think you may change your tune once you see what the numbers say. He is ahead of Sherman in a couple categories and they call him a "star". Browner is also a great tackler, which in today's read option is a asset to have on the outside. I think Thurmond "if" healthy may press Winfield for time not Browner.

    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-a ... stats-2012
    Schadie001
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 528
    Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:32 pm


  • I'm sure it has already been said, but if not...WT lost his starting job to Browner due to injury.
    User avatar
    seahawk 17
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 146
    Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:02 pm


  • Sherman actually replaced Thurmond when he got injured...Browner was already a starter.
    Schadie001
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 528
    Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:32 pm


  • The Radish wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:Browner should be used like the enforcer in hockey. Bring him in to give hard checks, then sit him in the penalty box for a bit. I still love seeing the fight he got into in the Green Bay game.



    That deal with Jennings wasn't it? Set the scene for the rest of the league. As I've said before after someone catches the ball all other receivers become down field blockers. No one else in the league did anything about that since Dick Butkus.

    But Browner wants to give those guys something else to think about than jogging down the field so he legally knocked Jennings on his ass. It was Jennings that jumped up and ran at him ready to fight. He then did the smart thing, (of course the humor in it was a little bitty receiver going after a monster sized DB), grabbed him, protected himself without retaliating. Jennings was the one that should have gotten the penalty there.

    The entire NFC hates Browner because he hits receivers within 5 yards. HIT being the primary word. Everyone else just chucks them, Browner hits them enough to screw up the timing of the play. Receivers are thinking about getting hit rather than catching the ball.

    THIS IS HOW FOOTBALL SHOULD BE PLAYED!!

    I have heard tho can't confirm Browner spoke with the officials and talked about how he played and thought they were giving him penaltys based on their "perception" of him doing something illegal rather than the actual fact of it. Whether its true or not notice how the penaltys directed at him have dropped off a lot since that first season?

    When he's gone, it will be a loss to our team unless someone else comes along to fill his shoes. I'm hoping they manage to keep him a couple of more years with either yearly or perhaps a 2 years contract. I know he's not young by football standards but so far he's still able to do the job.



    :lol:


    This. Well said Les.
    Tokadub wrote:I'm telling you guys Bennett is super overrated he's gonna be a piece of dino poo next season and I'm gonna LOL.
    User avatar
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2131
    Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:48 pm
    Location: Oklahoma City


  • It's BB for me all day.

    This isn't going to be too popular but I see WT3 as Sherman's replacement. Not for lack of want on my part or the Seahawks, I just don't think they will be able to afford to pay him. Browner could very well be on his way out at that time as well, that's why it's going to be interesting to see how the Hawks handle all their current depth at DB.

    What this discussion brings to mind for me is a reminder of how attached to these players I (and I think it's safe to say we) have become in just 2-3 years. I frickin' love this team. I'm going to be pretty devastated when key pieces inevitably leave (the price for having so much talent). This isn't a downer post, but just a reminder to myself and anyone who needs it that we're REALLY lucky right now, this is an extremely fun team to watch. I hope BB and WT3 have great years out there.
    Image
    User avatar
    SirTed
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 718
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:25 am
    Location: Queen Anne


  • I can see our defensive back positions being a huge point of 'contention' for a pretty long time given Carroll's ability to identify and develop CB talent. Personally, I would rather see Thurmond used for deep coverage and Browner used for shorter coverage because it puts both players in the best position to succeed (assuming Thurmond is healthy.) There are only so many spots on the field, of course, and I agree with Montana that if Thurmond is outplaying Browner in practice, he deserves to start, however, this might be one of those cases where it's a bit of a red herring to ask which of the two when it's could be set up that we have both.

    However, I also think that if Thurmond can maintain his health, he's the more likely of the two to be retained by Seattle next year.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 14362
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


  • Good, i still had it.

    Browners not fast?

    You better check yourself.

    Image
    Time of possession is the most meaningless statistic in football. -RolandDeschain
    User avatar
    Cartire
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2306
    Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am


  • If you catch AP from behind, you are VERY fast, not just average fast.
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2615
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Next


It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:34 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information