Will Thurmond win the job over Browner...?

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Would it be a bad thing if they split time on the outside? Browner is epic 75% of the time, but there are certain match ups that are really tough for him. Someone a little smaller/more agile like Thurmond could be a solid change up in those situations.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
I doubt it happens, but even if he did BB would probably get it back after a few weeks....I have zero faith in Thurmonds ability to stay healthy, which sucks because he's looked really good in the few games he's played

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
yeah i think PC would go by the match up becuase Browner don't have Sherman's speed and agility to play against anybody. Thurmond does but he don't have Browner's physicallity so i think if the match up was say Steve Smith from the panthers you start Thurmond.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I would love to have thurmond be the starter and use Browner for depth behind Thurmond and Kam. I think thurmond is the better corner.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
LOL . Browner is the secret ingredient the the Legion of Boom. If Thurmond can stay healthy ( quote everybody 1,000,000,000 times) and shows that he can ball then he will see the field more in nickel and dime situations.

But not too replace BB!! Brandon Browner is a top 5 cb. and constantly gets disrespected.

Im starting to think we may trade one of these guys to Gus Bradley

JKent82

Reaction score
I'd be surprised to see Thurmond take the spot, but I'd love if they'd do spot starts with him against teams with smaller quick WR.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I've never seen anything to make me believe Browner is the better corner. Better hitter, maybe, but let's not get so absorbed with the Legion of Boom that we forget the art of playing cornerback. Browner is a plus-size Big Play Babs; positive plays interspersed with getting burnt too often, rather than consistent excellence. If WT3 can offer better, he deserves the job.

UGotHawked

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":on0rwcbk said:
I've never seen anything to make me believe Browner is the better corner. Better hitter, maybe, but let's not get so absorbed with the Legion of Boom that we forget the art of playing cornerback. Browner is a plus-size Big Play Babs; positive plays interspersed with getting burnt too often, rather than consistent excellence. If WT3 can offer better, he deserves the job.

I've seen one thing - HEALTH.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":nawf0kyc said:
Wow, you guys are harsh on Browner...Pro Bowl Browner

I don't see anyone being "harsh" on Browner. What did I miss?

:?:

It's more about the possibility Thurmond may pass him up. The assumption all along is it would be Thurmond or Winfield in the slot... I doubt anyone seriously considered Thurmond could perhaps take the starting spot.

Just an interesting thing to watch.

VHawk

Reaction score
I just cannot see replacing BB right now dude just has too much heart and presence on the field.Everyone seems to forget He is constantly making turnovers.WT3 gonna have to do more than look good in practice.I want to see him take a receivers heart like BB does.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2yle32eh said:
Chicago game aside, I don't recall Browner getting burnt a lot last season. In what games did he get burned? I think some of you are getting a little carried away with the Thurmond hype

themunn

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3u9455oi said:

Maybe not as a cover corner, but don't underestimate the effect his physicality has on the mindset of receivers, too often they become so engrossed in trying to beat Browner physically that they lose track of what they're supposed to be doing - running routes and catching balls.
Sherman is better at it with his combination of wordplay and physicality (see Steve Smith at Carolina last year), but Browner is no slouch.

billio155

Reaction score
Browner is just a damn good football player. Thurmond might be a more natural cover corner, but Browner is a huge asset on screens, short dump off's and running plays. It's like having an extra linebacker on the field. There is a reason teams drop so many balls against us, and Browner is a big part of that. Browner gets into wr's heads. Can Thurmond do all that? I don't think so.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2n9ute48 said:
I've never seen anything to make me believe Browner is the better corner.

That is because you haven't seen Thurmond play all that much.

The absolute truth is this statement can't be rooted in data and is much more of a biased perception of Brandon Browner - probably stemming from a handful of games that stick out - (him covering Mike Wallace comes to mind).

Nevertheless, the best statement would be to say that you haven't seen enough of Walter Thurmond to make an accurate assessment. Can you really back a guy that hard when he has started five games in his career? If anything, Winfield may be the odd man out.

Besides I have have seen many many good things from Browner. Beyond his size (which can't be stressed enough in a Carroll run defense) and durability (which cannot simply be ignored) he had 64 passes to his side last season and he gave up 30 receptions. His 5.5 yards/target is the 3rd best in the league. His adjusted success rate - which takes into account penalties was 61% - good for 10th. He certainly benefits from playing opposite Sherman but he is no slouch himself and is well above average as a second outside corner. Anyone remember Kelly Jennings?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-a ... stats-2012

HawkGA

Reaction score
Browner should be used like the enforcer in hockey. Bring him in to give hard checks, then sit him in the penalty box for a bit. I still love seeing the fight he got into in the Green Bay game.

RufusPorter

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":33oulvpf said:

I rarely get to read a more un-informed post on any website, let alone a seahawk fan site.

Maybe this guy is right, and we should be starting the physically intimidating Thurmond. Would someone queue up the highlight reel of the big hits and strip fumble recoveries from the probowler Thurmond?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":30u04r3i said:
MontanaHawk05":30u04r3i said:
I've never seen anything to make me believe Browner is the better corner.

The absolute truth is this statement can't be rooted in data and is much more of a biased perception of Brandon Browner - probably stemming from a handful of games that stick out - (him covering Mike Wallace comes to mind).

Therefore, the "if" that I included in my post, which you and four other posters apparently missed.

But by all means, keep carefully snipping my post in your replies, folks. Ahhh, how I've missed being dismissed for going against the grain.

RufusPorter

Reaction score
I went ahead and found those elite highlights of the new RCB for our defense. Get out BB!
[youtube]GVV4Ikp3b44[/youtube]

EDIT: Oh here is our starting corner!

[youtube]aCyi0CzeimY[/youtube]