Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:49 pm
  • A poster over on another site said that he had a torn "labia". Lucky for us...because that would probably be a career ender.
    User avatar
    Hawkspeed
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 13
    Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:11 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:58 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:I think Percy's just milking it for all he can. Dude hates practicing and that's never been a secret about him.

    Didn't Percy injure the hip running full speed at a non team practice? Him, Russell, and the boys were getting ready for camp and he hurt himself? Doesn't sound like a guy who hates practicing.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11266
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:08 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:I am sorry, but this is just speculation on your part, even if it is coming from an exceptionally intelligent person whose work I very much enjoy reading (if theENGLISHseahawk is who I think that he is).


    No need to apologise, but I don't see what I'm speculating about really? After all, I'm just agreeing with Florio and suggesting myself this has become a shambles. Which IMO, it has.

    Harvin's gone from flying around one minute, to sitting the next. The team doctors say he can play, but then he wants a second opinion. It's taken days to get that second opinion, dragging out the drama even longer. And now everyone is being forced to wait even longer while Percy finally decides what he wants to do.

    Harvin is known for drama, and this is another example. Make a decision Percy and get on with it so whatever happens this team can move on.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8067
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:17 pm
  • I just heard; have surgery and be available about week 12 or play through.

    I dont care either way.
    @ryanadamdavis
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10321
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:20 pm
  • Can you define "become a shambles"? I have never seen the term shambles used in that way. Thanks.
    User avatar
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *
     
    Posts: 1215
    Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:48 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:26 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:I am sorry, but this is just speculation on your part, even if it is coming from an exceptionally intelligent person whose work I very much enjoy reading (if theENGLISHseahawk is who I think that he is).


    No need to apologise, but I don't see what I'm speculating about really? After all, I'm just agreeing with Florio and suggesting myself this has become a shambles. Which IMO, it has.

    Harvin's gone from flying around one minute, to sitting the next. The team doctors say he can play, but then he wants a second opinion. It's taken days to get that second opinion, dragging out the drama even longer. And now everyone is being forced to wait even longer while Percy finally decides what he wants to do.

    Harvin is known for drama, and this is another example. Make a decision Percy and get on with it so whatever happens this team can move on.


    I'm sorry, I just don't see the drama here. If Harvin plays through this injury and it turns out to be more serious than the team doctor thinks it is, he is risking a more serious injury that could affect not only his career but his life after football. Don't you think that's worth taking a little time to be sure?

    And now that he has seen the doctor and gotten his second opinion, don't you think it's worth taking a few hours, maybe even sleeping on it, to think it over and make the right decision?

    You talk about this "dragging on even longer," but it has only been five days! Five days in which he probably wouldn't have been practicing anyway. What is the big deal?

    And as for agreeing with Florio, why? The man basically said that he has nothing to report but that it COULD be a bad outcome. Nobody has anything to report and everyone knows that the outcome could be bad. Florio is the same guy who concocted a theory last spring that the Seahawks could cut Sidney Rice for cap reasons after trading for Harvin and based that theory on ZERO actual evidence. The man just throws [stuff] up against the wall to see what sticks. Take it with a grain of salt.
    User avatar
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1298
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am


Re: Harvin -
Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:27 pm
  • bigtrain21 wrote:Can you define "become a shambles"? I have never seen the term shambles used in that way. Thanks.


    I'm saying it's become a bit of a mess and needs sorting asap so the team can move on, whatever the decision.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8067
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Harvin -
Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:33 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    bigtrain21 wrote:Can you define "become a shambles"? I have never seen the term shambles used in that way. Thanks.


    I'm saying it's become a bit of a mess and needs sorting asap so the team can move on, whatever the decision.

    Move on from what? They haven't even played one preseason game or even got to the first cutdown day. Seems the only drama going on is completely in your head.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7837
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Harvin -
Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:40 pm
  • Shadowhawk wrote:I'm sorry, I just don't see the drama here. If Harvin plays through this injury and it turns out to be more serious than the team doctor thinks it is, he is risking a more serious injury that could affect not only his career but his life after football. Don't you think that's worth taking a little time to be sure?


    I'm willing to accept this if we're also going to say the team doctors are incompetent and making decisions in the absolute interest of the team and not the player. Usually when you get cleared, you're cleared. You don't fly to New York to seek out a specialist who... given any opportunity to perform surgery... is likely to push for it. However minor.

    Shadowhawk wrote:don't you think it's worth taking a few hours, maybe even sleeping on it, to think it over and make the right decision? You talk about this "dragging on even longer," but it has only been five days! Five days in which he probably wouldn't have been practicing anyway. What is the big deal?


    No, I think it's time to make a decision. You might not think this is drama... but I see a 26 page thread on this forum, constant Twitter chatter among both local and national media and an entire fan base wondering what the hell is going on.

    He has the information now. It's time to make a decision. Either have the surgery or don't. There's no need for it to be "slept on".

    Shadowhawk wrote:You talk about this "dragging on even longer," but it has only been five days! Five days in which he probably wouldn't have been practicing anyway. What is the big deal?


    Can you tell me then how long injuries usually take to be diagnosed? Especially after the team doctors have cleared you? Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Six days now by my count since camp began. It'll stretch into a seventh.

    Shadowhawk wrote:And as for agreeing with Florio, why? The man basically said that he has nothing to report but that it COULD be a bad outcome. Nobody has anything to report and everyone knows that the outcome could be bad. Florio is the same guy who concocted a theory last spring that the Seahawks could cut Sidney Rice for cap reasons after trading for Harvin and based that theory on ZERO actual evidence. The man just throws [stuff] up against the wall to see what sticks. Take it with a grain of salt.


    No, Florio actually says if it was just a case of no surgery the chances are it would have been announced today that everything was fine and he'd be involved in camp ASAP. And he is spot on. The fact that we're all still hanging on suggests the team and Harvin's rep's are doing one of two things - either trying to convince him not to take surgery, or discussing the surgery options. For me, any kind of surgery is bad news because he's going to miss considerable time.

    And I'm not really fussed what Florio has written in the past. I don't think his work is constantly accurate by any means, but in this case I agree with him. This isn't throwing stuff against a wall. It's his view. A view that I, not unfairly I'd say, share.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8067
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Harvin -
Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:46 pm
  • KCHawkGirl wrote:Move on from what? They haven't even played one preseason game or even got to the first cutdown day. Seems the only drama going on is completely in your head.


    Yes... it's all me. This is actually a subject of minor interest to Seahawks fans and the wider NFL. In fact I doubt anyone is really all that interested in it. It'll probably be filed underneath "Blaine Gabbert camp update" and "Andy Reid eats sandwich" on NFL.com

    Meanwhile, back on planet earth...

    :roll:
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8067
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:48 pm
  • In the last hour it finally clicked, I don't think I'll care that much if he misses games, we have Russell Wilson, emerging depth, and hopefully an even better defense. Whatever.
    Image
    User avatar
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1441
    Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:22 pm


Re: Harvin -
Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:53 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    KCHawkGirl wrote:Move on from what? They haven't even played one preseason game or even got to the first cutdown day. Seems the only drama going on is completely in your head.


    Yes... it's all me. This is actually a subject of minor interest to Seahawks fans and the wider NFL. In fact I doubt anyone is really all that interested in it. It'll probably be filed underneath "Blaine Gabbert camp update" and "Andy Reid eats sandwich" on NFL.com

    Meanwhile, back on planet earth...

    :roll:

    Talk about impatient. You seriously need to chill out because whatever the deal is we will know soon enough, excuse me that it's just not matching your personal schedule. :roll:

    It isn't like he's critical to our success or anything. He would be nice to have but not critical say like someone called Russell Wilson?
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7837
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:57 pm
  • pehawk wrote:I just heard; have surgery and be available about week 12 or play through.

    I dont care either way.


    source?
    User avatar
    Alkasquawlik
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 27
    Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:22 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:00 pm
  • Sportcenter and John Clayton. Surgery, he's available last quarter of the season. No surgery, he grinds through.
    @ryanadamdavis
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10321
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Harvin -
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:02 pm
  • KCHawkGirl wrote:Talk about impatient. You seriously need to chill out because whatever the deal is we will know soon enough, excuse me that it's just not matching your personal schedule. :roll:


    Just in case you weren't aware... people can have a different opinion on a particular subject. It is actually allowed on the internet, believe it or not.

    But the irony of your bossy madam routine telling someone to "chill out" has been noted.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8067
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:02 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:I'm willing to accept this if we're also going to say the team doctors are incompetent and making decisions in the absolute interest of the team and not the player. Usually when you get cleared, you're cleared. You don't fly to New York to seek out a specialist who... given any opportunity to perform surgery... is likely to push for it. However minor.


    Why don't we ask Kenny Easley about how competent his team doctors were and how much they cared about his welfare? Based on multiple reports, the team has said they want Harvin to play through this. The team doctor has said Harvin can play. But if they are wrong, it's Harvin who has to live with their mistake, just like Easley did.

    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:No, I think it's time to make a decision. You might not think this is drama... but I see a 26 page thread on this forum, constant Twitter chatter among both local and national media and an entire fan base wondering what the hell is going on.

    He has the information now. It's time to make a decision. Either have the surgery or don't. There's no need for it to be "slept on".


    And everyone who has posted on this 26-page thread, local and national media, and an entire fan base all have one thing in common: it doesn't matter one damn bit what we think. If Carroll and Schneider came out and said that Harvin needs to make a decision, THAT would matter. If Seahawks players were coming out and saying Harvin needs to make a decision, THAT would matter. But as far as I'm concerned, Percy Harvin has no obligation to anyone else as far as when he has to make a decision. If you have anything suggesting that the front office or the rest of the team is getting restless, I'll concede the point. But I don't think you do. There may be drama on a few message boards but the only thing that counts is whether there is drama in the Seahawks locker room, and there is no evidence that that is the case.

    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Can you tell me then how long injuries usually take to be diagnosed? Especially after the team doctors have cleared you? Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Six days now by my count since camp began. It'll stretch into a seventh.


    I highly doubt that Percy Harvin is this doctor's only patient. Today was probably the soonest that the doctor could see him. Again, if you have any evidence to the contrary present it. And as far as the team doctor is concerned, see my first response.

    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:No, Florio actually says if it was just a case of no surgery the chances are it would have been announced today that everything was fine and he'd be involved in camp ASAP. And he is spot on. The fact that we're all still hanging on suggests the team and Harvin's rep's are doing one of two things - either trying to convince him not to take surgery, or discussing the surgery options. For me, any kind of surgery is bad news because he's going to miss considerable time.

    And I'm not really fussed what Florio has written in the past. I don't think his work is constantly accurate by any means, but in this case I agree with him. This isn't throwing stuff against a wall. It's his view. A view that I, not unfairly I'd say, share.


    The question isn't whether Harvin will have surgery; surgery is probably inevitable at some point. The question is whether Harvin can afford to wait to delay surgery until after the season the way Kam Chancellor did last year. And on that score, Florio has no new information and is falling back on his old days when PFT was nothing more than a rumor site. I brought up the Rice story from last spring as evidence that Florio tends to make stuff up just to attract readers. He is doing the same in this case.
    User avatar
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1298
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:04 pm
  • ExperienceJones wrote:Softy reporting he's done for the year.



    uhhh...wut?
    User avatar
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2494
    Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:06 pm
  • Missing_Clink wrote:
    ExperienceJones wrote:Softy reporting he's done for the year.



    uhhh...wut?


    That's what I heard, might have misheard. Had to leave the car.
    Last edited by ExperienceJones on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Season Ticket Holder, Section 127 - Row I

    Video of Player Intros from my seats, Jags game 2009.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nddIoamjN08
    User avatar
    ExperienceJones
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 294
    Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 7:47 am
    Location: Ballard


Re: Harvin -
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:07 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    No, I think it's time to make a decision. You might not think this is drama... but I see a 26 page thread on this forum, constant Twitter chatter among both local and national media and an entire fan base wondering what the hell is going on.


    Why should a player make a medical decision that affects his future based on the impatience of the media and the fanbase? That seems like a terrible reason to rush into a major medical decision. The fact that many fans are freaking out about this should have no baring on the decision. Any decision should be made based on discussions between the player and the team period.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    User avatar
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3363
    Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:07 pm
  • ExperienceJones wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:
    ExperienceJones wrote:Softy reporting he's done for the year.



    uhhh...wut?


    That's what I heard.


    You heard it on the radio? Or you heard it from someone who "heard" it on the radio?
    _________________
    "I can deal with Kap looking/acting like a douchebag so long as he wins. You can't be a douche AND a loser, Kap. Get your ---- together, a-hole."

    .....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    User avatar
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1918
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am
    Location: Spokangeles


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:08 pm
  • Missing_Clink wrote:
    ExperienceJones wrote:Softy reporting he's done for the year.



    uhhh...wut?


    I would be happy with surgery, but back week 12 or so. That wouldn't be the worst result.

    Done for year? Might as well try and play through if you can monitor the injury and check that you are not making the tear bigger.
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

    Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    User avatar
    cdallan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 830
    Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:08 am
    Location: Scotland


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:09 pm
  • listening to KJR now they are just posing a hypothetical quesiton about what people think "IF" he's done for the year.

    I hate it when they do these dumb "IF" segments becuase if you tune in in the middle its hard to tell that it's a hypothetical.
    Last edited by Hawknballs on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2809
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


Re: Harvin -
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:09 pm
  • Shadowhawk wrote:He is doing the same in this case.


    I still don't understand this suggestion that he's making anything up.

    Florio's not talking in facts. He's suggesting, again, not unfairly IMO, that the fact Harvin hasn't just come out and been cleared by this specialist suggests it's not the good news we were hoping for. I think we can all agree that the chances are Harvin won't come out tomorrow and say, "the specialist says I'm good to go". What is more likely is that the specialist has suggested surgery and the team are now talking to Harvin about the options. Otherwise we'd have heard something by now.

    I get that some people don't much like Florio, but in this instance I find it hard to argue with him. He's called it pretty well for me.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8067
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:10 pm
  • ExperienceJones wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:
    ExperienceJones wrote:Softy reporting he's done for the year.



    uhhh...wut?


    That's what I heard, might have misheard. Had to leave the car.


    Nothing on Twitter yet, and you've got to figure that news like that would be exploding by now. Probably a mishear. [crossing fingers]
    User avatar
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1298
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:10 pm
  • Also the idea that percy harvin is like a 12 year old who gets a doctors note to get out of gym class is idiocy.
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2809
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Harvin -
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:12 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    KCHawkGirl wrote:Talk about impatient. You seriously need to chill out because whatever the deal is we will know soon enough, excuse me that it's just not matching your personal schedule. :roll:


    Just in case you weren't aware... people can have a different opinion on a particular subject. It is actually allowed on the internet, believe it or not.

    But the irony of your bossy madam routine telling someone to "chill out" has been noted.

    I don't care that you have an opposing opinion because your opinion whatever it imay be is yours and you have a perfect right to it. But know that it affects nothing about the situation or myself.
    Last edited by MizzouHawkGal on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7837
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:13 pm
  • so far this is the only solid anything i can find, from Sando just saying Percy is taking tonight to weigh his options, which probably means it's up to him if he's going to get surgery that will likely end most or all of his season, or if he's going to play through it.

    my hope is that he plays through it. I don't need him to be spectacular, I just want him to be a threat.

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/s ... gh-options
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2809
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


Re: Harvin -
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:13 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    KCHawkGirl wrote:Move on from what? They haven't even played one preseason game or even got to the first cutdown day. Seems the only drama going on is completely in your head.


    Yes... it's all me. This is actually a subject of minor interest to Seahawks fans and the wider NFL. In fact I doubt anyone is really all that interested in it. It'll probably be filed underneath "Blaine Gabbert camp update" and "Andy Reid eats sandwich" on NFL.com

    Meanwhile, back on planet earth...

    :roll:


    Damn straight.

    I agree with this in it's entirety. Further, call me a pr*ck, but I don't have a lot of concern re. whether or not Harvin walks with a slight limp as he laughs his way to the bank for the next 60 years. There is a trade off in life and in sports. Not many in here can say they don't risk a piece of their future happiness to provide for the family today. We are not the Shanahan ran Redskins. We are known for being cautious and caring of our team. IF the Hawk doc has cleared him to play, he should be playing. Period. If not, give the money back and GTFOODodge. In what other occupation is Harvin equipped to bank 25 million front money? I hear football is a very rough sport and there has even been reports of injury. It's part of the game and that is the trade off.

    Stallone pumped roids to chisel his body. He understood this may cause him problems later in life so his trade off was: be a semi-dumb thumb breaker, ala Rocky, for life, or push the envelop and live a few less years but do so as a jet-setting, multi-millionaire playboy. Harvin, and every other player, has committed to this same trade off. Harvin made a choice and we lived up to our end of the deal. Now it's time for him to do the same, unless he wants to replace Kelly Stouffer and Dan McQwire on our biggest bust of all time list.

    I sincerely hope this rant was for naught and we get good news sooner than later. Rant over.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5705
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


Re: Harvin -
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:13 pm
  • Basis4day wrote:Why should a player make a medical decision that affects his future based on the impatience of the media and the fanbase? That seems like a terrible reason to rush into a major medical decision. The fact that many fans are freaking out about this should have no baring on the decision. Any decision should be made based on discussions between the player and the team period.


    I don't believe I ever suggested a player should make a medical decision based on the impatience of fans or media.

    What I did say was the player has all the information now so there's no reason not to make a decision so the team can plan accordingly and move on.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8067
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:16 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    Shadowhawk wrote:I'm sorry, I just don't see the drama here. If Harvin plays through this injury and it turns out to be more serious than the team doctor thinks it is, he is risking a more serious injury that could affect not only his career but his life after football. Don't you think that's worth taking a little time to be sure?


    I'm willing to accept this if we're also going to say the team doctors are incompetent and making decisions in the absolute interest of the team and not the player. Usually when you get cleared, you're cleared. You don't fly to New York to seek out a specialist who... given any opportunity to perform surgery... is likely to push for it. However minor.


    This is simply not true. Even Tom Terrific at NE risked the wrath of Belichek and sought an independent opinion on his injury. Team medical staffs are good, but they're generalists and there are 32 of them. That's why the players go to world-class specialists, and you see the same 3 or 4 doctors named in these kind of reports.
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

    Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    User avatar
    cdallan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 830
    Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:08 am
    Location: Scotland


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:18 pm
  • Man, so much hate and over-reaction today, and we still dont know anything.

    They should never have told us he was doing this today. Or maybe that he was getting looked at on like thursday, so that they could know exactly what was happening at 12:01 am on thursday morning and tell us right then so we didnt freak out about not getting the information.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    User avatar
    Cartire
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3180
    Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:19 pm
  • That's pretty much were its stood this morning. I suppose we'll know something definitive tomorrow.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7837
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Harvin -
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:19 pm
  • KCHawkGirl wrote:I don't care that you have an opposing opinion because your opinion whatever it imay be is yours and you have a perfect right to it. But know that it affects nothing about the situation or myself.


    Phew... thanks for pointing that out. For a minute there I thought Pete Carroll and John Schneider were basing all their decisions on the internet chat board postings of a lad from Yorkshire.

    Let's hope they still log on despite my own personal setback of this revelation that they don't see my views as the gospel. You never know, you might be able to tell them to "Chillz out manz" if they disagree with you.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8067
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Harvin -
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:19 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    Basis4day wrote:Why should a player make a medical decision that affects his future based on the impatience of the media and the fanbase? That seems like a terrible reason to rush into a major medical decision. The fact that many fans are freaking out about this should have no baring on the decision. Any decision should be made based on discussions between the player and the team period.


    I don't believe I ever suggested a player should make a medical decision based on the impatience of fans or media.

    What I did say was the player has all the information now so there's no reason not to make a decision so the team can plan accordingly and move on.


    Have you considered that since all our information is from leaks perhaps the team told him to sleep on it and not rush to judgement?
    Give me some damn skittles...
    User avatar
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3363
    Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:21 pm
  • Enough with the bickering folks, the rest of us don't care...
    Image
    User avatar
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *
     
    Posts: 8798
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
    Location: PNW


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:23 pm
  • Beats talking about Konz or Tanzania
    Give me some damn skittles...
    User avatar
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3363
    Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am


Re: Harvin -
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:23 pm
  • Basis4day wrote:Have you considered that since all our information is from leaks perhaps the team told him to sleep on it and not rush to judgement?


    Very possible.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8067
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:25 pm
  • AbsolutNET wrote:Enough with the bickering folks, the rest of us don't care...


    word.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11439
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


Re: Harvin -
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:33 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:I still don't understand this suggestion that he's making anything up.

    Florio's not talking in facts. He's suggesting, again....


    Ah, but you could say the same thing about the Rice article from last spring. He never stated as fact that Rice would be a cap casualty this year, he just suggested it was a possibility after Harvin was signed. The problem was that he had absolutely nothing to base that suggestion on, and even worse he wrote his piece in such a way that people might believe that he had sources telling him that Rice could be a cap casualty. In this case...

    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:[T]he fact Harvin hasn't just come out and been cleared by this specialist suggests it's not the good news we were hoping for. I think we can all agree that the chances are Harvin won't come out tomorrow and say, "the specialist says I'm good to go". What is more likely is that the specialist has suggested surgery and the team are now talking to Harvin about the options. Otherwise we'd have heard something by now.


    ... he is doing the same thing by stating that the fact that we haven't heard anything definitive probably means that Harvin will have surgery. The problem is this case goes back to my last post: Harvin will almost certainly have surgery on his hip AT SOME POINT. I can't remember any player with a torn labrum in either his shoulder or hip who didn't eventually have surgery on it. So by Florio saying the delay makes it likely that Harvin will have surgery, he's not really telling us anything. What matters is when Harvin will have the surgery, and whether he can delay it until after the season, and the fact that we haven't heard anything yet doesn't tell us anything about that question. Florio's post leaves people with the impression that it does, which is wrong IMHO.

    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:I get that some people don't much like Florio, but in this instance I find it hard to argue with him. He's called it pretty well for me.


    I like Florio fine when he sticks to reporting the actual news. When he gets obsessed over something (such as the "Fail Mary" or the name "Redskins") or pulls something out of thin air like he did today, it's shoddy journalism. We need less of that these days, not more.
    Last edited by Shadowhawk on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1298
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:34 pm
  • There is a lot of info out there on this type of injury, Fieldgulls has a great write-up on it. If he moves forward with the surgery, which is likely, he will most likely be back around week 7. Not a bad deal to ensure the problem is taken care of and Percy's career isn't in jeopardy. Season ending really isn't in the cards from what I have read.
    CEHawk
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 88
    Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:49 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:37 pm
  • CEHawk wrote:There is a lot of info out there on this type of injury, Fieldgulls has a great write-up on it. If he moves forward with the surgery, which is likely, he will most likely be back around week 7. Not a bad deal to ensure the problem is taken care of and Percy's career isn't in jeopardy. Season ending really isn't in the cards from what I have read.


    Yeah it looks like either way he should be able to contribute this year in some capacity, even if it is just coming back at the end of the season and (hopefully) playoffs.
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11747
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:41 pm
  • Personally, I hope he has the surgery now and gets it over with, especially if he'd only miss 1-2 months of regular season action. I'd rather go without him for the first part of the season and have him 100% healthy for the stretch run and the playoffs than have him try to play, do further damage to the hip, and lose him for the rest of the year (and possibly put his future career at risk if the injury permanently affects his speed, acceleration, and/or agility.)
    Last edited by Shadowhawk on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1298
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:44 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:
    AbsolutNET wrote:Enough with the bickering folks, the rest of us don't care...


    word.


    God damnit, Ive been craving poutine since yesterday. Im envious of you.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    User avatar
    Cartire
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3180
    Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:57 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:I am sorry, but this is just speculation on your part, even if it is coming from an exceptionally intelligent person whose work I very much enjoy reading (if theENGLISHseahawk is who I think that he is).


    No need to apologise, but I don't see what I'm speculating about really? After all, I'm just agreeing with Florio and suggesting myself this has become a shambles. Which IMO, it has.

    Harvin's gone from flying around one minute, to sitting the next. The team doctors say he can play, but then he wants a second opinion. It's taken days to get that second opinion, dragging out the drama even longer. And now everyone is being forced to wait even longer while Percy finally decides what he wants to do.

    Harvin is known for drama, and this is another example. Make a decision Percy and get on with it so whatever happens this team can move on.


    I'm sorry, I gotcha now. I thought that you were doomsaying BECAUSE of Florio's article, not that you were merely pointing out that you agree.

    I disagree, but we'll see who is right soon enough.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3754
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:58 pm
  • Percy just tweeted he has to have surgery

    Percy Harvin ‏@Percy_Harvin 1m
    when everything is goin good sometimes life throw u a curve ball... sorry to half to report that my injury will require surgery...


    and he tweeted this:
    Percy Harvin ‏@Percy_Harvin 2m
    Nobody was more anxious and excited about season then....but I will be back strong as ever..i appreciate all the love and prayers 12th man
    User avatar
    dbmack
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 470
    Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:10 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:02 pm
  • Talking about surgery on NFLN now. Damn.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15453
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:03 pm
  • Damn it. Why are we so cursed in regards to wide recievers?
    Eamon696
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 54
    Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:57 pm
    Location: Vermont


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:03 pm
  • Can we have those picks back please?

    OK, that's the last irrational thing I'm going to say about this.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3754
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


PreviousNext


It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:11 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online