Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:45 pm
  • Wasn't a hip injury the thing that ended Bo Jackson's career? Best to get a 2nd opinion in any case
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:09 pm
  • Jackson's career ended because of a dislocated hip, similar to what Ravens TE Dennis Pitta just suffered yesterday. Harvin's injury is much less severe, though it could potentially become more serious if not treated correctly. I don't blame Harvin for wanting to be careful.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:16 pm
  • Is it Tuesday yet? Even read this piece on Seahawks.com and wondered if they accidentally on purpose tried to tell us something.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... fc2d8a5fb1

No one has to explain his situation to Bryan Walters, a former option quarterback at Kirkland’s Juanita High School who is trying to make it with the Seahawks as a wide receiver. Walters is smart enough to know that he needs to make the most of any and every opportunity that comes his way.

And that’s exactly what he did today, when Walters produced first downs on three of his five receptions.

“Got to capitalize on the opportunities, especially when you’re in a spot like me,” Walters said.

And that spot would be playing behind starters Sidney Rice and Golden Tate, as well as slot receiver Doug Baldwin, at a position where the team has 12 receivers when only five or six will be carried on the 53-man roster with another one or two being signed to the practice squad.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:27 am
  • Shadowhawk wrote:Jackson's career ended because of a dislocated hip, similar to what Ravens TE Dennis Pitta just suffered yesterday. Harvin's injury is much less severe, though it could potentially become more serious if not treated correctly. I don't blame Harvin for wanting to be careful.

Jackon's injury was more freakish than that. He actually ripped the joint out of his hip which cut off the blood supply to the bone and caused Avascular necrosis. He had to get his hip replaced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avascular_necrosis
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:58 am
  • Basis4day wrote:
    Shadowhawk wrote:Jackson's career ended because of a dislocated hip, similar to what Ravens TE Dennis Pitta just suffered yesterday. Harvin's injury is much less severe, though it could potentially become more serious if not treated correctly. I don't blame Harvin for wanting to be careful.

Jackon's injury was more freakish than that. He actually ripped the joint out of his hip which cut off the blood supply to the bone and caused Avascular necrosis. He had to get his hip replaced.

That injury was actually a testament to how freakishly strong Bo Jackson actually was. They said anyone else would have just been tackled, but Bo's other leg was so strong and the defender had such a good grip on his foot, that the weakest point was actually Bo's hip socket.

So gross. I get the willies just thinking about it...
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Re: Harvin -
Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:13 am
  • Happypuppy wrote:Wasn't a hip injury the thing that ended Bo Jackson's career? Best to get a 2nd opinion in any case

Naw naw naw. Bo got his hip ripped completely out of the socket by a linebacker during a game. This is nothing like that. An injury like that is an instant retire.
    VEGAS HAS A SUPERBOWL REMATCH--DENVER WINNING
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/08/06/ ... the-cards/
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:39 am
  • CANHawk wrote:
    Basis4day wrote:
    Shadowhawk wrote:Jackson's career ended because of a dislocated hip, similar to what Ravens TE Dennis Pitta just suffered yesterday. Harvin's injury is much less severe, though it could potentially become more serious if not treated correctly. I don't blame Harvin for wanting to be careful.

That injury was actually a testament to how freakishly strong Bo Jackson actually was. They said anyone else would have just been tackled, but Bo's other leg was so strong and the defender had such a good grip on his foot, that the weakest point was actually Bo's hip socket.

So gross. I get the willies just thinking about it...

I think we saw the same thing on 30 for 30. For those interested in just how crazy the Bo injury was go to the 1 hour mark:

Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:57 am
  • yerp. 30 for 30 kicks ass.

Bo Jackson can use a bow and arrow with his feet!
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:25 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:yerp. 30 for 30 kicks ass.

Bo Jackson can use a bow and arrow with his feet!

I recall a story where Bo went bow fishing with one of the Milwaukee Brewer pitchers (no, not Catfish Hunter, lol). Can't recall the guy's name but he said Bo shot 11 times and shot 11 fish.

I'd also heard that the Olympic archery team wanted Bo on the team but he sorta' had some other stuff going on.

Whether or not he was the greatest athlete of our time is debatable, but he was definitely my favorite...even when wearing that *silver and black.

*The Bo running over the Boz tale was incredibly unfair to the Boz and severely blown out of proportion. In that situation, I don't believe there's a man alive that would have prevented Jackson from scoring on that play. Boz just happened to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time. It was either whiff...or get ran over.

But on topic: I am counting the hrs now. There has been rumor that Harvin "might be playing games" (!?). With the doctor /patient privacy stuff, if he is, how will we know? I believe we can win it all without Harvin...but, IMO, winning it all with him is more likely.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:47 pm
  • Bo VS. Chuck Norris.....Who ya got?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:02 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Bo VS. Chuck Norris.....Who ya got?

Hmm. Tough call. That's like Spy vs. Spy or Ginger vs. Maryane.

Only Bo knows.

BTW...love your avatar. Mesmerizing!
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:51 am
  • Today is the day! Commence your good luck rituals please
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:24 am
  • I don't think it'll be as good a news as we want, i don't think it'll be as bad as we think.. I think he'll be out there come week 1, i think he takes it easy up until that point... Hope for the best though, i know he wants to be out there.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:02 am
  • hawker84 wrote:I don't think it'll be as good a news as we want, i don't think it'll be as bad as we think.. I think he'll be out there come week 1, i think he takes it easy up until that point... Hope for the best though, i know he wants to be out there.

If he takes it easy and then is out there week 1 that's pretty much what I want. Get him on the field. reps or not defenses have to account for him.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:05 am
  • Exactly. I don't give a crap if he practices or not, or doesn't want to practice. I want him on the field on game day, dominating like he always does.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:08 am
  • Does anyone her follow him on Twitter? Surely he will put something out there today?
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:35 am
  • Are you guys expecting news from the 'second opinion'?

Are you guys optimistic about the prognosis?
    NinerBuff
    NET Rookie

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:36 am
  • NinerBuff wrote:Are you guys expecting news from the 'second opinion'?

Are you guys optimistic about the prognosis?

I expect some sort of news either a confirmation that he can play through it or that he does in fact need surgery. Overall I've become more optimistic after hearing the team Dr. said he could play through, Kam had a similar injury, etc.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:40 am
  • Originally I was freaking out, as I tend to do, human nature etc.
    Now, I think they're gonna' rest him the entire pre-season and do physical therapy etc. and he'll be ready for Week 1 or 2.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:43 am
  • I just want some certainty so the problem is solved and the team can move forward.

Of course I'm hopeful for some 'good news'.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons.

What a special magical year!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:39 am

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:46 am
  • That kind of sounds like he's going to miss games.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:52 am
  • Sounds like the surgery option is very much on the table right now. Not surprising, but very disappointing
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:52 am
  • Way too soon to say!
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:58 am
  • "options" means he has more options than just surgery...

it now comes down to a pain tolerance, performance degradation, and potential pitfalls for re-aggravation.
    NinerBuff
    NET Rookie

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:01 am
  • rest him until the season starts, thats over a month of of R&R
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:03 am
  • Something that's going to weigh heavily in Percy's decision is going to be a potential Super Bowl ring. Can you imagine electing to have the surgery, then watching your teammates potentially play in or win the Super Bowl that you could have been on the field for? Personally, if it's a minor tear, I'm on the field.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:11 am
  • Yeah, the "news" by Rapport doesn't seem like anything.

Honestly I doubt we hear anything today and tomorrow Pete says they are gonna take it easy with him but I doubt surgery will be performed before this season. He may opt to wait till after the season, everyone talks about how tough Harvin is, if Chancellor played with a similar injury, I can see Harvin playing through the season.
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:17 am
  • My gut tells me that Percy is going to milk this as much as he can to avoid practicing with the team, but when the season rolls around, he will be suited up and featured prominently in the offense.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:19 am
  • bryantology79 wrote:#Seahawks WR Percy Harvin’s visit with Dr. Bryan Kelly about his hip is finishing, I’m told. Harvin will consider his options tonight.
    Ian RapoportVerified account ‏@RapSheet

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/362261701783064578

continue waiting

Talk about vague............
    "We have to focus with every challenge we get. The bigger, the better. The more hyped, the better. We keep doing what we're doing. Tough matchups on the road, high-profile games - we want that, we feed off that, we should be able to develop the discipline to deal with that." Pete Carroll
    Hawkfish
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:20 am
  • even if he misses some games, just seeing how focused and determined Baldwin and Tate are , makes me feel very confident in the recieving core going into the season..
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:35 am
  • I think he'll play. Just a hunch, nothing to go on.

He probably wants to really feel a part of the parade that will be going down Fourth this February.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:46 am
  • Of course surgery is on the table. The doc evaluating him today is going to be the guy performing it. The tear was already known.

$$$$$$

Thats what the Doc see's when he says Surgery is an option. He would be dumb not too.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:47 am
  • That's too vague to suss anything out. Considering his options? How many are there?
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:52 am
  • Rest and Rehab for the entire season, let the thing heal on its own without surgery, become ultra-explosive for the playoff run -- opposing coaches won't even be able to gameplan for it.
    The Wilson-Harvin connection would be unknown and something to be feared.

The above is imagination at play. No knowledge of science or Harvin's situation necessary.
    oasis
    NET Starter

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:53 am
  • KCHawkGirl wrote:That's too vague to suss anything out. Considering his options? How many are there?

I imagine that if the tear was bad enough that Harvin couldn't play on it at all, there'd only be the one option.

So in a way, it's good that there seem to be more.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:57 am
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    KCHawkGirl wrote:That's too vague to suss anything out. Considering his options? How many are there?

I imagine that if the tear was bad enough that Harvin couldn't play on it at all, there'd only be the one option.

So in a way, it's good that there seem to be more.

That's what I was trying to point out actually. It seems like playing isn't a fantasy but a viable option. And all we hear about is how competitive Percy is. So maybe the situation isn't as dire as many think.

Who cares if he misses practices? Marshawn does all the time.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:07 am
  • Vague is right. "Would you like Paper or Plastic"
    answer: "Yes"
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:17 am
  • On Q It Up Sports last night, they had a clip of John Schnieder saying: "It's possible he could be suited up and practicing next week"
    Of course last week PC said surgery could mean he's out for the season, but that could just be a PC mind-fk directed at Harvin--"You screw with me, you don't play"
    VEGAS HAS A SUPERBOWL REMATCH--DENVER WINNING
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/08/06/ ... the-cards/
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:36 am
  • SmokinHawk wrote:My gut tells me that Percy is going to milk this as much as he can to avoid practicing with the team, but when the season rolls around, he will be suited up and featured prominently in the offense.

Not criticizing at all but your view is pretty negative as far as Harvin is concerned. Don't you think Percy actually wants to practice and play with the Seahawks? My suspicion is he is actually more than a tad frustrated by this situation and wants to play and practice pain free or at least so he doesn't aggravate the hip any further or so he knows how it can be healed that works best for him and for the team.

jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:39 am
  • jammerhawk wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:My gut tells me that Percy is going to milk this as much as he can to avoid practicing with the team, but when the season rolls around, he will be suited up and featured prominently in the offense.

Not criticizing at all but your view is pretty negative as far as Harvin is concerned. Don't you think Percy actually wants to practice and play with the Seahawks? My suspicion is he is actually more than a tad frustrated by this situation and wants to play and practice pain free or at least so he doesn't aggravate the hip any further or so he knows how it can be healed that works best for him and for the team.

Well, I wouldn't have this opinion if Percy Harvin didn't have a history of pulling similar shit. I guess it amounts to what is more important to him, collecting a paycheck (which he will do no matter what happens), or winning a championship.

At any rate, I expect we will have our answer soon enough.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:54 am
  • As per the presser going on now no news on percy yet
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:57 am
  • Have his former coaches or teammates ever said Percy plays games or is that just the media/fan opinion? I'm pretty much thinking it's the latter, and I suspect a lot of it comes from people who never had a migraine in their lives. If they had, they wouldn't question anyone not wanting to practice while having one.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:17 pm

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:17 pm
  • Florio says no news may be bad news: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... good-news/

I know it is sacrilegious to endorse a Florio opinion or to be negative about this whole thing around here, but I agree with him. If the news was good, we'd know by now.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:19 pm
  • I think Percy's just milking it for all he can. Dude hates practicing and that's never been a secret about him.

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:40 pm
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375216842.360303.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375216842.360303.jpg (76.43 KiB) Viewed 864 times
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:54 pm
  • Florio is always a negative Nellie and sometime no news is just exactly that, no news.

I don't think Percy will lose any playing time but my opinion has the same weight as the negative viewpoint.

In the same vein the news that Rice is flying to Switzerland for blood platlette treatment to his knee or knees may also be no news, a curiousity, or bad news. Pick your poison according to your viewpoint.

jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:02 pm
  • I a, under the idea that no news is bad news. Please, do not let this require surgery!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:07 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:I a, under the idea that no news is bad news. Please, do not let this require surgery!

Surprise surprise!
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:03 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information