Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:58 pm
  • Re: Romo....just hilarious!!!
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:49 pm
  • HawkAroundTheClock wrote:
    LawHawk wrote:The concerning thing is the number of media outlets reporting that the Seahawks docs say he can play. Harvin's people would never leak that, so there's only one way that can be leaked - by Seahawks folks. They want the public pressure on him to play. They want him feeling like everyone expects him to play. If the Seahawks thought he shouldn't play, and they needed to "protect their investment," every leak would be "Seahawks doctors adamant that Harvin needs surgery and risks worsening injury/delaying recovery by practicing/playing."

Unless...

That's exactly what they WANT you to think... :bitenails:

:D

Have you been engaging in battles of wit with Sicilians again? :)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:32 am
  • Dunno if this was posted before on this thread, but Peter King says Kam Chancellor played through a similar injury. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5197/percy-harvin
    I don't know about you guys but that doesn't sound promising to me. Kam seemed pretty hampered.

Although on the other side, playing SS can be more taxing than a receiver who can go in and out of rotation.
    oasis
    NET Starter

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:36 am
  • oasis wrote:Dunno if this was posted before on this thread, but Peter King says Kam Chancellor played through a similar injury. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5197/percy-harvin
    I don't know about you guys but that doesn't sound promising to me. Kam seemed pretty hampered.

Although on the other side, playing SS can be more taxing than a receiver who can go in and out of rotation.

Kam seemed fine to me...
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:47 am
  • I think the problem was he played slower, not weaker.
    oasis
    NET Starter

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:56 am
  • What I do not understand is why it will take almost a full week to get this second opinion.

Evidently money can NOT speed up procedure.

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:12 am
  • Cartire wrote:
    oasis wrote:Dunno if this was posted before on this thread, but Peter King says Kam Chancellor played through a similar injury. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5197/percy-harvin

Kam seemed fine to me...

Kam himself said it DID affect his play. It would affect Percy even more.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:23 am
  • sutz wrote:
    HawkAroundTheClock wrote:
    LawHawk wrote:The concerning thing is the number of media outlets reporting that the Seahawks docs say he can play. Harvin's people would never leak that, so there's only one way that can be leaked - by Seahawks folks. They want the public pressure on him to play. They want him feeling like everyone expects him to play. If the Seahawks thought he shouldn't play, and they needed to "protect their investment," every leak would be "Seahawks doctors adamant that Harvin needs surgery and risks worsening injury/delaying recovery by practicing/playing."

Unless...

That's exactly what they WANT you to think... :bitenails:

:D

Have you been engaging in battles of wit with Sicilians again? :)

HA! You must have suspected I would know about Percy's injury, so I can clearly not choose the labrum in front of me. :D
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:35 am
  • Largent80 wrote:What I do not understand is why it will take almost a full week to get this second opinion.

Evidently money can NOT speed up procedure.

Because he is seeing the top doctor in this field in NY. Star Athletes arent the only one with money when dealing with the top expert. They cant just push the other rich guys out of there appointment slots so easily. They found out Wed in Seattle, and had a booked appointment with the guy for 5 days later. Thats still pretty impressive.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:12 am
  • Cartire wrote:
    oasis wrote:Dunno if this was posted before on this thread, but Peter King says Kam Chancellor played through a similar injury. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5197/percy-harvin

Kam seemed fine to me...

Pete Carroll in his presser also mentioned that Kam had something similar last year.
    warden
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:34 am
  • When you say " they found out" are you referring to the Hawks or are you referring to Harvin and his people? Who asked for the second opinion and just as importantly what exactly was the first opinion?

There is a lot we don't know here. What we do know is that some one knew something BEfore Wednesday because by league rule a player can't be placed on PUP if he has practiced at all OR if it is a non football related injury.

This suggests what ever injury Harvin has came with him from Minnesota and should have been vetted before now.

Or that all this is precautionary.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:43 am
  • brimsalabim wrote:When you say " they found out" are you referring to the Hawks or are you referring to Harvin and his people? Who asked for the second opinion and just as importantly what exactly was the first opinion?

There is a lot we don't know here. What we do know is that some one knew something BEfore Wednesday because by league rule a player can't be placed on PUP if he has practiced at all OR if it is a non football related injury.

This suggests what ever injury Harvin has came with him from Minnesota and should have been vetted before now.

Or that all this is precautionary.

They cant practice in Training camp to be placed on pup. Which started on Thursday. The team had physicals on Wed and Harvin complained of pain in his hip which then was MRI'd at the facility that Wed. He was placed on the PUP as a result of the findings. From what sources are saying, the team did not suggest surgery. Its not known who requested the second opinion.

Regardless, he was placed on the PUP officially as of thursday morning before the first team practice. So the ailment wasnt necessarily known prior.
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:33 am
  • Did kam have any procedure done to fix his hip or did it just heal on its own?
    Seaswab
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:39 am
  • Pretty sure Percy is up to his usual bullshit. I don't really care, so long as he plays hard when he does play, and doesn't serve as a distraction to the rest of the team.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:59 am
  • Seaswab wrote:Did kam have any procedure done to fix his hip or did it just heal on its own?

Kam didn't have a hip issue, he had foot surgery to correct something right after our season was over.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:53 am
  • OkieHawk wrote:
    Seaswab wrote:Did kam have any procedure done to fix his hip or did it just heal on its own?

Kam didn't have a hip issue.

Sorry sir, but you are incorrect. Kam did have a hip issue....something similar to Harvin just last season and played through it. Pete Carroll has said so in a few different interviews. I'll go with Pete.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:56 am
  • So you are going with the ailment wasn't known by anyone until the team physical picked it up? The team might not have been aware but Harvin had to have been aware. How did he have a football related injury before camp? I have read that the hip injury being described is either the result of an impact or of an arthritic hip. when did he last have a football related impact? I hope the guy wants to play football.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:45 am
  • he apparently tweaked it working out on his own about 8-10 days ago. Sounds like it was sore but he didn't think it was a big deal.

Then when camp was about to start and it was still sore he probably mentioned it to the team; and they are very quick and cautious b ecuase they don't want him to go out and start practicing because that keeps him from being able to go on pre-season PUP.

My guess is it's minor and he will play through it, with the best case scenario being it's a minor enough issue that it's healed up pretty good by week 2.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:48 pm
  • The doctor he is seeing is only a few blocks away from my apartment.
    mretrade
    NET Starter

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:54 pm
  • Hip injuries can be very tricky. Sometimes they heal on their own and the doctors only issue crutches to lessen the stress. Othertimes, it's a surgery that requires a long recover... if they ever fully recover. Surely it's not that or he woulda already had surgery.
    mr.stlouis
    NET Rookie

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:45 pm
  • Wasn't a hip injury the thing that ended Bo Jackson's career? Best to get a 2nd opinion in any case
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:09 pm
  • Jackson's career ended because of a dislocated hip, similar to what Ravens TE Dennis Pitta just suffered yesterday. Harvin's injury is much less severe, though it could potentially become more serious if not treated correctly. I don't blame Harvin for wanting to be careful.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:16 pm
  • Is it Tuesday yet? Even read this piece on Seahawks.com and wondered if they accidentally on purpose tried to tell us something.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... fc2d8a5fb1

No one has to explain his situation to Bryan Walters, a former option quarterback at Kirkland’s Juanita High School who is trying to make it with the Seahawks as a wide receiver. Walters is smart enough to know that he needs to make the most of any and every opportunity that comes his way.

And that’s exactly what he did today, when Walters produced first downs on three of his five receptions.

“Got to capitalize on the opportunities, especially when you’re in a spot like me,” Walters said.

And that spot would be playing behind starters Sidney Rice and Golden Tate, as well as slot receiver Doug Baldwin, at a position where the team has 12 receivers when only five or six will be carried on the 53-man roster with another one or two being signed to the practice squad.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:27 am
  • Shadowhawk wrote:Jackson's career ended because of a dislocated hip, similar to what Ravens TE Dennis Pitta just suffered yesterday. Harvin's injury is much less severe, though it could potentially become more serious if not treated correctly. I don't blame Harvin for wanting to be careful.

Jackon's injury was more freakish than that. He actually ripped the joint out of his hip which cut off the blood supply to the bone and caused Avascular necrosis. He had to get his hip replaced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avascular_necrosis
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:58 am
  • Basis4day wrote:
    Shadowhawk wrote:Jackson's career ended because of a dislocated hip, similar to what Ravens TE Dennis Pitta just suffered yesterday. Harvin's injury is much less severe, though it could potentially become more serious if not treated correctly. I don't blame Harvin for wanting to be careful.

Jackon's injury was more freakish than that. He actually ripped the joint out of his hip which cut off the blood supply to the bone and caused Avascular necrosis. He had to get his hip replaced.

That injury was actually a testament to how freakishly strong Bo Jackson actually was. They said anyone else would have just been tackled, but Bo's other leg was so strong and the defender had such a good grip on his foot, that the weakest point was actually Bo's hip socket.

So gross. I get the willies just thinking about it...
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Re: Harvin -
Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:13 am
  • Happypuppy wrote:Wasn't a hip injury the thing that ended Bo Jackson's career? Best to get a 2nd opinion in any case

Naw naw naw. Bo got his hip ripped completely out of the socket by a linebacker during a game. This is nothing like that. An injury like that is an instant retire.
    WILL PHILIP RIVERS TEST RICHARD SHERMAN'S SIDE OF THE FIELD?
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/09/10/ ... the-field/
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:39 am
  • CANHawk wrote:
    Basis4day wrote:
    Shadowhawk wrote:Jackson's career ended because of a dislocated hip, similar to what Ravens TE Dennis Pitta just suffered yesterday. Harvin's injury is much less severe, though it could potentially become more serious if not treated correctly. I don't blame Harvin for wanting to be careful.

That injury was actually a testament to how freakishly strong Bo Jackson actually was. They said anyone else would have just been tackled, but Bo's other leg was so strong and the defender had such a good grip on his foot, that the weakest point was actually Bo's hip socket.

So gross. I get the willies just thinking about it...

I think we saw the same thing on 30 for 30. For those interested in just how crazy the Bo injury was go to the 1 hour mark:

Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:57 am
  • yerp. 30 for 30 kicks ass.

Bo Jackson can use a bow and arrow with his feet!
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:25 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:yerp. 30 for 30 kicks ass.

Bo Jackson can use a bow and arrow with his feet!

I recall a story where Bo went bow fishing with one of the Milwaukee Brewer pitchers (no, not Catfish Hunter, lol). Can't recall the guy's name but he said Bo shot 11 times and shot 11 fish.

I'd also heard that the Olympic archery team wanted Bo on the team but he sorta' had some other stuff going on.

Whether or not he was the greatest athlete of our time is debatable, but he was definitely my favorite...even when wearing that *silver and black.

*The Bo running over the Boz tale was incredibly unfair to the Boz and severely blown out of proportion. In that situation, I don't believe there's a man alive that would have prevented Jackson from scoring on that play. Boz just happened to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time. It was either whiff...or get ran over.

But on topic: I am counting the hrs now. There has been rumor that Harvin "might be playing games" (!?). With the doctor /patient privacy stuff, if he is, how will we know? I believe we can win it all without Harvin...but, IMO, winning it all with him is more likely.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:47 pm
  • Bo VS. Chuck Norris.....Who ya got?

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:02 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Bo VS. Chuck Norris.....Who ya got?

Hmm. Tough call. That's like Spy vs. Spy or Ginger vs. Maryane.

Only Bo knows.

BTW...love your avatar. Mesmerizing!
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:51 am
  • Today is the day! Commence your good luck rituals please
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:24 am
  • I don't think it'll be as good a news as we want, i don't think it'll be as bad as we think.. I think he'll be out there come week 1, i think he takes it easy up until that point... Hope for the best though, i know he wants to be out there.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:02 am
  • hawker84 wrote:I don't think it'll be as good a news as we want, i don't think it'll be as bad as we think.. I think he'll be out there come week 1, i think he takes it easy up until that point... Hope for the best though, i know he wants to be out there.

If he takes it easy and then is out there week 1 that's pretty much what I want. Get him on the field. reps or not defenses have to account for him.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:05 am
  • Exactly. I don't give a crap if he practices or not, or doesn't want to practice. I want him on the field on game day, dominating like he always does.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:08 am
  • Does anyone her follow him on Twitter? Surely he will put something out there today?
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:35 am
  • Are you guys expecting news from the 'second opinion'?

Are you guys optimistic about the prognosis?
    NinerBuff
    NET Rookie

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:36 am
  • NinerBuff wrote:Are you guys expecting news from the 'second opinion'?

Are you guys optimistic about the prognosis?

I expect some sort of news either a confirmation that he can play through it or that he does in fact need surgery. Overall I've become more optimistic after hearing the team Dr. said he could play through, Kam had a similar injury, etc.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:40 am
  • Originally I was freaking out, as I tend to do, human nature etc.
    Now, I think they're gonna' rest him the entire pre-season and do physical therapy etc. and he'll be ready for Week 1 or 2.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:43 am
  • I just want some certainty so the problem is solved and the team can move forward.

Of course I'm hopeful for some 'good news'.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons.

What a special magical year!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:39 am

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:46 am
  • That kind of sounds like he's going to miss games.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:52 am
  • Sounds like the surgery option is very much on the table right now. Not surprising, but very disappointing
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:52 am
  • Way too soon to say!
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons.

What a special magical year!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:58 am
  • "options" means he has more options than just surgery...

it now comes down to a pain tolerance, performance degradation, and potential pitfalls for re-aggravation.
    NinerBuff
    NET Rookie

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:01 am
  • rest him until the season starts, thats over a month of of R&R
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:03 am
  • Something that's going to weigh heavily in Percy's decision is going to be a potential Super Bowl ring. Can you imagine electing to have the surgery, then watching your teammates potentially play in or win the Super Bowl that you could have been on the field for? Personally, if it's a minor tear, I'm on the field.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:11 am
  • Yeah, the "news" by Rapport doesn't seem like anything.

Honestly I doubt we hear anything today and tomorrow Pete says they are gonna take it easy with him but I doubt surgery will be performed before this season. He may opt to wait till after the season, everyone talks about how tough Harvin is, if Chancellor played with a similar injury, I can see Harvin playing through the season.
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:17 am
  • My gut tells me that Percy is going to milk this as much as he can to avoid practicing with the team, but when the season rolls around, he will be suited up and featured prominently in the offense.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:19 am
  • bryantology79 wrote:#Seahawks WR Percy Harvin’s visit with Dr. Bryan Kelly about his hip is finishing, I’m told. Harvin will consider his options tonight.
    Ian RapoportVerified account ‏@RapSheet

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/362261701783064578

continue waiting

Talk about vague............
    "We have to focus with every challenge we get. The bigger, the better. The more hyped, the better. We keep doing what we're doing. Tough matchups on the road, high-profile games - we want that, we feed off that, we should be able to develop the discipline to deal with that." Pete Carroll
    Hawkfish
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information