Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:24 pm
  • I stopped following LaCanfora months ago on Twitter, don't remember why. Must have something to do with him being terrible at his job.
    cacksman
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:26 pm
  • If LaConfora is right I'm gonna shit myself. Interestingly, he praised the Harvin move more than any other national writer
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Re: Harvin -
Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:27 pm
  • Happypuppy wrote:Bleacher Report is implying that surgery is very likely and he may not be the same Harvin after. Here is the link but remember it is Bleacher Report

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1716 ... s-receiver

This pretty much guarantees that Harvin will be ready by week 1
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:31 pm
  • cacksman wrote:I stopped following LaCanfora months ago on Twitter, don't remember why. Must have something to do with him being terrible at his job.

Reporters like LaConfora that report "breaking news" can basically claim whatever they want knowing there is a 33.33333% chance they will be right. LaConfora even has a fall back. If Harvin doesn't require surgery then he can say the 2nd doctor, despite the odds, miraculously cleared him to play.

In the end, LaConfora knows there's no harm in being really pessemistic about Harvin's return.
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:35 pm
  • Seafan wrote:It may have been torn before he signed the contract. It will be interesting to see if he gives the season a go or not.

So Surprising.

[Enter pessimistic thoughts on Harvin here]

I hope he's not hurt bad, I hope it's minor, I hope it doesn't require surgery. Ultimately I really hope it's nothing but seeing this in the news is just obnoxious.

Get well soon Harvin.

Pick the score, Seahawks edition - 1st Season
    http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96154

"Somehow a second year quarterback was more ready for this game, than a first ballot hall of famer!?"
    -DMac 104.3 Denver The Fan
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Augusta, GA (Road Hawk)

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:39 pm
  • Giedi wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:From day one, I considered the Harvin thing a luxury because the Hawks didn't need him. He is a huge addition to an offense that is quite functional without him.

If he can play, great, if he needs surgery, then get on with it. It isn't like they lost their feature guy because outside of Leon, the same personel that no one could stop for 4 quarters and sometimes 1 quarter is still intact.

I think Harvin is going to be huge for Seattle, but his loss isn't going to set them back. Too many options, RW gives the ball to everyone. Tate, Rice and Baldwin are trouble for anyone. Where is Chop-Chop anyways?

I agree, if anything, that power run game will make it a lot easier for Harper to become effective. Seattle is still a very dangerous team with or without harvin.

And much like last year we will surely beat the shit out of you, with or without Harvin, because our QB is Russell Wilson and he wins.

Pick the score, Seahawks edition - 1st Season
    http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96154

"Somehow a second year quarterback was more ready for this game, than a first ballot hall of famer!?"
    -DMac 104.3 Denver The Fan
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Augusta, GA (Road Hawk)

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:03 pm
  • I'm probably in the minority, but I don't mind the 49er fan presence. It's just part of having a rivalry. We should celebrate it, not run from it. And by "celebrate," I mean with 2x4's WWE style. Less whining, more shit talking!

Before I was at .net, I was a regular at a St. Louis Rams forum. This is back when the Rams and Seahawks were very much arch-rivals. I was pretty much the only seahawk fan there, and my presence was generally tolerated, but I got a lot of shit-talking thrown my way. It was just part of the fun. There were a few Rams homers there who were about as sharp as a sack of hammers- arguing with idiots is never fun- but the rest made for a pretty interesting dynamic. In other words, I don't think you have to worry about hurting anyone's feelings. These guys are here because they enjoy playful confrontation, which doesn't have to be a bad thing.
    Last edited by kearly on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:04 pm
  • Remember, we can get out if this deal after this year. If it's catastrophic, and they feel he won't be the same player, then we had a really unfortunate break come our way. Russell Wilson is such a monumental fortunate break, that we would need a dozen more doomsday Harvin scenarios to come close to balancing it out.
    "If I were Tarvaris Jackson and Matt Flynn, I'd be leery of this kid because if you give him a chance, if you give him a chance and look past his 5 foot 11 or 5-10 and a half or whatever it is, if you give this kid a legitimate chance to win the job, he'll win it" - John Gruden
    mjwhitay
    NET Rookie

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:11 pm
  • So Rappaport and la Confora are basically reporting the 100% exact opposite thing about what the Seahawks doctors recommended for Harvin?
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:24 pm
  • mjwhitay wrote:Remember, we can get out if this deal after this year. If it's catastrophic, and they feel he won't be the same player, then we had a really unfortunate break come our way. Russell Wilson is such a monumental fortunate break, that we would need a dozen more doomsday Harvin scenarios to come close to balancing it out.

Are u positive we can get out of this deal, because the money is my concern
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:28 pm
  • Two comments

One, we don't know all the facts, I know it is boring to wait till the facts come in before you draw conclusions but that is the way I am going to approach this.

Two, good teams handle adversity,
    warden
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:29 pm
  • kearly wrote:I'm probably in the minority, but I don't mind the 49er fan presence. It's just part of having a rivalry. We should celebrate it, not run from it. And by "celebrate," I mean with 2x4's WWE style. Less whining, more shit talking!

Before I was at .net, I was a regular at a St. Louis Rams forum. This is back when the Rams and Seahawks were very much arch-rivals. I was pretty much the only seahawk fan there, and my presence was generally tolerated, but I got a lot of shit-talking thrown my way. It was just part of the fun. There were a few Rams homers there who were about as sharp as a sack of hammers- arguing with idiots is never fun- but the rest made for a pretty interesting dynamic. In other words, I don't think you have to worry about hurting anyone's feelings. These guys are here because they enjoy playful confrontation, which doesn't have to be a bad thing.

I don't mind arguing with them, rules should be laxed a little bit though, IMO. Have an argument with a group of them and the thread gets locked. I just stopped responding to them directly because of this, with a few exceptions.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:45 pm
  • davidonmi wrote:
    mjwhitay wrote:Remember, we can get out if this deal after this year. If it's catastrophic, and they feel he won't be the same player, then we had a really unfortunate break come our way. Russell Wilson is such a monumental fortunate break, that we would need a dozen more doomsday Harvin scenarios to come close to balancing it out.

Are u positive we can get out of this deal, because the money is my concern

2014 isn't guaranteed until day 5 of the waiver period, whenever that is. So, in theory, they have 5 days to cut him and they don't owe him.
    "If I were Tarvaris Jackson and Matt Flynn, I'd be leery of this kid because if you give him a chance, if you give him a chance and look past his 5 foot 11 or 5-10 and a half or whatever it is, if you give this kid a legitimate chance to win the job, he'll win it" - John Gruden
    mjwhitay
    NET Rookie

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:46 pm
  • Omg. Ship him back to Minnesota. Can we get our first rounder back? 3-13 best case scenario now. SMH.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:56 pm
  • NFSeahawks628 wrote:
    Giedi wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:From day one, I considered the Harvin thing a luxury because the Hawks didn't need him. He is a huge addition to an offense that is quite functional without him.

If he can play, great, if he needs surgery, then get on with it. It isn't like they lost their feature guy because outside of Leon, the same personel that no one could stop for 4 quarters and sometimes 1 quarter is still intact.

I think Harvin is going to be huge for Seattle, but his loss isn't going to set them back. Too many options, RW gives the ball to everyone. Tate, Rice and Baldwin are trouble for anyone. Where is Chop-Chop anyways?

I agree, if anything, that power run game will make it a lot easier for Harper to become effective. Seattle is still a very dangerous team with or without harvin.

And much like last year we will surely beat the shit out of you, with or without Harvin, because our QB is Russell Wilson and he wins.

:bump: ...or it could be like October 18 last year. You guys will have some pretty good players that will be missing on that first matchup with the 49ers. As will the 49ers of course. It's going to be a good game. :mrgreen:
    Giedi
    NET Starter

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:24 pm
  • drdiags wrote:
    HOLLYWOOD wrote:I'm not dismayed Doc, just trying to get some info on our boy and I'm littered with Kyle Williams stats. Not looking to ban anyone just a little pollution control. I know Darwin will eventually take out the trash anyway.

Agree that going off-topic (just like I did with this thread) happens a lot more than it should. I was also trying to let ST81 know why we have a larger number of rival fans visiting, since he went on haitus from here for awhile, besides hanging out on the Sonics thread. Figured he might have missed when the mods let us know what they were thinking a while back.

You pretty much nailed it, Doc.

I haven't really engaged in the site the way I used to for a while now. For a handful of reasons not really worth talking about. I haven't been totally absent, however. I still monitor the site. Just post a lot less. But that's beside the point. You're right in that I wasn't paying attention whenever it was that the mods decided to embrace the Niners fans. That's their own choice and their right, I guess. So I'll drop my opposition beyond this post.

I just don't quite get it. I come here to get Hawks news and discuss what's going on with my team. To talk with my fellow Hawks fans about our team. I don't come here to read every single thread devolve into a argument about Colin Kaepernick. Or to read fans who for the most part hate my team, go out of their way to argue and contradict everything our fans say. When I find myself rolling my eyes 3 times a thread due to Niner fans comments and shots taken at the Hawks, and then the responses that follow, I honestly start questioning why I'm spending time reading people such pointless dialog.

Paint me as someone who doesn't want to hear opposing thoughts all you want. But that is far from the truth. I'm all for opposing viewpoints and constructive debate. I absolutely abhor group-think and people who don't bother examining something with a critical eye. In fact, such prevailing attitude has caused me to less frequent another certain site of late. I hate homer fans who think their team can do no wrong. That the world is all roses pointing at them. That all said, the sort of constructive discourse I enjoy is next to impossible when it comes to rival football fans on the internet.

Let's be real here. We hate the Niners. The Niner fans hate us. For every one reasonable, cool Niner fan you attract, you're just going to get another 10 who only post here to argue and tell us off. And the exact same would be the case with Hawks fans on a Niner site. To me that's not a worthwhile trade off. Do you guys ever read user comments at ProFootballTalk? They are the PITCH PERFECT example of just how biased NFL fans are when it comes to their team, other teams, and especially teams they hate. You're more likely to find reasonable, level-headed folks at Tea Party & Occupy Wall Street rallies.

I'm all for debate. I'm all for critical thinking and challenging prevailing opinions. But the sort of debate and arguments you get with rival sports fans is the biggest waste of time, IMO. Neither side is willing to see the other. You do nothing but set yourselves up for never-ending circular arguments that never end. All you are really doing is providing a venue for pot shots and call outs. No SF fan will ever convince me that Harbaugh isn't the biggest prick in the world, or that Kaepernick isn't a ridiculous goof. Just the same as I won't be able to stop a SF fan from thinking his way. So why bother?! And if you can't be bothered, why do you want to read other people fail at attempting to get through to the other side, OVER AND OVER AND OVER?

I get that there's people who enjoy this sort of thing. It's just not why I frequent the best Seahawks site on the internet. If I wanted to read SF fans rag on my team over and over, there's a bunch of sites that specialize in that. I really don't see why a Seattle site needs to open itself up for that voice that already has it's own outlet. Then again, I also think there is absolutely no bigger waste a time than arguing on the internet. So maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm in the minority. If the internet has taught me anything, it's that people are drawn to confronting opinions that they disagree with. A lot of people spend a lot of their time fighting in circles with people who will never give their points the time of day. Guess that is fairly popular. To each his own. I am only one reader.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:53 pm
  • Lady Talon wrote:
    kearly wrote:I'm probably in the minority, but I don't mind the 49er fan presence. It's just part of having a rivalry. We should celebrate it, not run from it. And by "celebrate," I mean with 2x4's WWE style. Less whining, more shit talking!

I don't mind arguing with them, rules should be laxed a little bit though, IMO. Have an argument with a group of them and the thread gets locked. I just stopped responding to them directly because of this, with a few exceptions.

Agreed. It is always fun to "debate" a player, game or call. They can get heated but it is just passion and as long as its not personal attacks I am good with it.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:16 pm
  • Gotta love pre season. 16 pages of freak out. He's got about 5 months to rehab until we need him.

That is all.

Give me a healthy Harvin as a Christmas present and I will be good to go. 12/25/2013
    Stoned Cold
    NET Rookie

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:29 pm
  • And for the record, there are a couple of solid Niner fans who post here. (feel free to think I'm talking about you.) Don't think they're all idiots or jerks. More of an intotality/sum of the parts type thing.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:01 am
  • Are you guys really complaining about somebody trashing your team on the internet? Jesus. Grow a pair. Quit being bitches. Embrace the rivalry, quit wearing skirts. Some of the comments and crying around here is downright shameful. Its as if you never played competitive sports and dealt with trash talk. SMH

What really sucks is some of you complaining to the moderators. Talking about banning people cuz you can't handle what they said.

Thats embarrassing. Crying to the moderators.....disgusting.

S.A.S.F
    Stoned Cold
    NET Rookie

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:24 am
  • Stoned Cold wrote:Are you guys really complaining about somebody trashing your team on the internet? Jesus. Grow a pair. Quit being bitches.

So those unnamed reasons I was talking about in response to Doc.

Gotta love the deep thinkers.

:white_flag:
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:35 am
  • It's not that I dislike Niner fans or their presence. It's just that some of their contributions are to this board, what this video is to a good song...

Edit: I apologize in advance to you old farts who will break a hip gettin' down to this ;)

Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:19 am
  • From what I have read the sports hip labrum injury usually falls into one of two categories. 1. Result of a twisting impact type injury. Or 2. The result of an arthritic condition.

The first can be repaired but the second condition is chronic.

So if he already had the injury before he was signed then it might be the result of impact and there fore can be recovered from. If the tear truly just manifested this week with no contact then it is arthritic and will only get worse.

If he can't ever play how does he impact our cap and can we claim any of our picks back?
    Last edited by brimsalabim on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:46 am
  • SeaTown81 wrote:
    Stoned Cold wrote:Are you guys really complaining about somebody trashing your team on the internet? Jesus. Grow a pair. Quit being bitches.

So those unnamed reasons I was talking about in response to Doc.

Gotta love the deep thinkers.

:white_flag:

Whats wrong, 81? The misogynistic doofus didn't convince you with his religious appeal for you to grow a 3rd and 4th testicle? You really are a hard sell.
    Go Hawks.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:32 am
  • Missing_Clink wrote:So Rappaport and la Confora are basically reporting the 100% exact opposite thing about what the Seahawks doctors recommended for Harvin?

Yup.

Translation: Everyone should probably calm the hell down and quit swallowing their tongues in apoplexy until there's some real information to go on.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:45 am
  • Stoned Cold wrote:Are you guys really complaining about somebody trashing your team on the internet? Jesus. Grow a pair. Quit being bitches. Embrace the rivalry, quit wearing skirts. Some of the comments and crying around here is downright shameful. Its as if you never played competitive sports and dealt with trash talk. SMH

What really sucks is some of you complaining to the moderators. Talking about banning people cuz you can't handle what they said.

Thats embarrassing. Crying to the moderators.....disgusting.

S.A.S.F

:13:
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:46 am
  • Well, we didn't have Harvin last year, so I guess we should just plan on not having him until it actually happens.

Next man up !!!!!!

And that man could be Tate if I had my way. I look for a huge season from him.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:05 am
  • I F'N love this thread!

The overreaction, the finally making a stand against the Niners fans/trolls (because they're all the same in the end), but my absolute favorite, all of the friggin doctors that we have on this site! Ahhh man, I hope this goes for 17 more pages until next week when Percy Harvin has a second opinion and this all turns out to be much ado about nothing.

Until then...

:snack:

God I love this place.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:23 am
  • Holy crap, there are way too many people asking about "sending him back" or "cutting him", there is no way in hell we cut Harvin. We don't even know how serious this injury is yet, a slight tear is not a full tear and depending on the severity can either heal on its own or require a small procedure. If he's out 12-15 weeks, that puts us at around half the season. Half a season of Harvin, including possibly the playoffs, is enough to justify his cost. I think some of you worry way too much about the money aspect when the cap can be easily manipulated. I didn't see Schneider or Carroll worried about his contract when they signed him. This is not a big deal people, calm down.

It's kind of embarrassing to me how quickly people will turn on a player due to injury.
    Danger Zone
    Archer
    NET Rookie

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:29 am
  • Vikings fan here. Not looking to "talk smack", only to give my 2 cents on a WR who I have followed very closely for his entire NFL career.

First off, Percy is a heck of a weapon on offense. Whenever he plays you guys are going to be happy with him. His elusiveness with the ball in his hands is just silly. He is also tough as nails on gamedays, not shying away from contact at all, almost to the point of being reckless (when he was a Viking I used to worry about how long of a career he would have). His ability to run out of the backfield, both inside and outside the tackles, gives him that "gadget factor" where defenses always have to account for him no matter where he is on the field. He is amazing at getting YAC. I read someone on here say that he wasn't a fit on a Ponder-led offense, and that isn't true at all. With QBs like that who are best with short quick passes, Harvin is the perfect WR. It makes more sense to go for high-completion short passes and let Percy rack up YAC. He rarely saw deep passes downfield.

That being said, you are now getting your first taste of Percy World. He hates to practice. A lot. He also is nicked up a lot with nagging injuries. For as long as he's in the NFL, there will always be drama surrounding Percy Harvin. It's sad, because his attitude didn't really turn so poor until Randy Moss came back for that brief stint with the Vikings. Percy reportedly followed Moss around like a lost puppy and was enamored with him. Moss behaved horribly in his short return to Minnesota (ex: the lunchroom incident where Moss blew up and screamed that he wouldn't feed the team caterer's food to his dog). After Moss was let go, Harvin and then-coach Brad Childress got into a heated altercation, and Percy hurled a weight at Childress (although it didn't hit him).

In the end, I wouldn't be surprised if Percy ends up being fine medically and this was a way to get out of some practices. You can decide for yourselves how much that does or doesn't bother you. There was a time when those antics made Vikings fans say "Meh, as long as he plays on Sundays..." But over time, the constant off-field drama and prima-donna behavior wore on people and chased him out of Minnesota. It's not often you see teams trade away talented WRs in their prime. Especially since at the time we had a completely bare WR cupboard without Harvin. I don't want to see Percy fail in Seattle, the trade is done now and both teams got what they wanted. Hopefully it works out for both teams.
    AlaskanViking
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:39 am
  • I dont post much, but im on this site way too much. Im sure nobody really cares about my opinion but I had to weigh in on this...

I was really excited for training camp to open, and then I saw the Harvin injury news. My initial reaction was surprise, but I was in no way devastated. I turn on the radio for more details and everyone sounds like the season is over. A team that won 11 games and went to the playoffs, and apparently they should just pack it in. The analysis was lazy period. A rookie QB that split reps 3 ways during training camp last year will get a the reps this year. A team returning 18-19 starters, and all I heard was about how the season is in jeopardy because of a luxury pickup. And yes Harvin is a luxury addition; akin to putting rims on a Cadillac. It’s already a nice ride without the shiny rims.

I didn’t see one piece of news that was not related to the injury. I was completely turned off. My wife even asked what my problem was, but I declined comment. AJ Green went down in the first practice; injuries are part of the game. The people who have the need to be right spouting “this was concern when they traded for him” pisses me off. Get over yourselves. Any player who plays the violent sport of football is at risk of injury.
    I think Im most irritated because I didn’t flinch at all. No it’s not an ideal situation, but no one should have expected a season without any adversity. Not to mention how other team’s issues seemed to get brushed aside. Tom Brady throwing to elementary school students = playoffs. Ravens gutted roster, no problem. Falcons lose their center, best pass rusher and both cornerbacks, Super Bowl. Seattle lost Harvin, why even take the field?

I keep trying to get myself worked up, but I can’t. It’s because of #3. I am not saying he is an “elite” quarterback, but he is a winner. I’ve heard him compared to a lot of people, but I have found one that I deem most appropriate. When I look in Russell’s eyes I knew I had seen that look before. That fire, that passion everyone doesn’t have that drive. I understand that these two play different sports but the energy and vibe coming from their eyes is the same. I see the same look in #3 eyes that I see in Tim Duncan’s eyes. They are winners. The stats may not always be pretty but they give you a chance to win whenever they take the field or court.

I had the pleasure of attending the Atlanta playoff game last season. I heard #3 bring the dome to COMPLETE silence with the late go ahead drive. I cannot tell you what that experience was like. I was a fan before seeing him live, and after seeing it I was blown away. This guy was the best player on the field. Stats don’t matter to me, as long #3 is taking the snaps the Seattle Seahawks will remain competitive. I understand this is uncharted territory for Seahawk fans, but this is what it feels like when you find your guy at QB. So Seattle fans please try and relax the sky is not falling. As long #3 is around, we’ll always have a shot.
    openureyez
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:40 am
  • Disappointed we paid so much($$/draft picks) and we might lose him for the first season(or part of it).

Outside of that though? Why the concern?

We where great on offense last year, especially by the end of the season, and we have all the pieces coming back.

It was or D that let the Atlanta game go, not our O, and our D got better, with out Percy our O is essentially the same, and the last half of the season we where ranked 1 or 2 in scoring....so...why the worry? This changes nothing.
    DericLee
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:43 am
  • If AlaskanViking is correct, and Harvin helps this team win a Super Bowl, he can piss on the logo at the CLink during a game and I won't care. I suspect that if the Vikings beat the Saints in the NFCCG and win the Super Bowl a couple years back, Vikings fans would feel the same way.

I also suspect that if we don't win jack and three years from now, Harvin is being a PITA, I'll want to run him out of town too.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:46 am
  • Until Hans (a doctor!) gives us his prognosis, none of us should do anything.
    MysterMatt
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:47 am
  • AlaskanViking wrote:Vikings fan here. Not looking to "talk smack", only to give my 2 cents on a WR who I have followed very closely for his entire NFL career.

First off, Percy is a heck of a weapon on offense. Whenever he plays you guys are going to be happy with him. His elusiveness with the ball in his hands is just silly. He is also tough as nails on gamedays, not shying away from contact at all, almost to the point of being reckless (when he was a Viking I used to worry about how long of a career he would have). His ability to run out of the backfield, both inside and outside the tackles, gives him that "gadget factor" where defenses always have to account for him no matter where he is on the field. He is amazing at getting YAC. I read someone on here say that he wasn't a fit on a Ponder-led offense, and that isn't true at all. With QBs like that who are best with short quick passes, Harvin is the perfect WR. It makes more sense to go for high-completion short passes and let Percy rack up YAC. He rarely saw deep passes downfield.

That being said, you are now getting your first taste of Percy World. He hates to practice. A lot. He also is nicked up a lot with nagging injuries. For as long as he's in the NFL, there will always be drama surrounding Percy Harvin. It's sad, because his attitude didn't really turn so poor until Randy Moss came back for that brief stint with the Vikings. Percy reportedly followed Moss around like a lost puppy and was enamored with him. Moss behaved horribly in his short return to Minnesota (ex: the lunchroom incident where Moss blew up and screamed that he wouldn't feed the team caterer's food to his dog). After Moss was let go, Harvin and then-coach Brad Childress got into a heated altercation, and Percy hurled a weight at Childress (although it didn't hit him).

In the end, I wouldn't be surprised if Percy ends up being fine medically and this was a way to get out of some practices. You can decide for yourselves how much that does or doesn't bother you. There was a time when those antics made Vikings fans say "Meh, as long as he plays on Sundays..." But over time, the constant off-field drama and prima-donna behavior wore on people and chased him out of Minnesota. It's not often you see teams trade away talented WRs in their prime. Especially since at the time we had a completely bare WR cupboard without Harvin. I don't want to see Percy fail in Seattle, the trade is done now and both teams got what they wanted. Hopefully it works out for both teams.

I appreciate the perspective, but I fail to see how Harvin is generating "drama" when the team noted that an MRI showed a possible labrum tear. Do you think he tore his labrum - however much - intentionally to get out of practicing?

The only reason there's any drama is because people - not the Seahawks, the coaching staff, or the players apparently - are getting worked up over the fact that Harvin was held out of practice. These people are ignoring factors like...

1. If a player practices in training camp, he cannot be put on PUP. So if the team has any concern at all that they might need to use the PUP designation on a player, they need to use it right off the bat in TC. After all, they can always activate him whenever they want.
    2. A team is going to protect its investment, especially when there is no need to risk it. If Harvin does indeed have an injury that requires surgery, it makes zero sense for the team to trot him out for the first days of TC. If his injury is minor enough that surgery is not required, then all that's lost is a couple of days in July while the 2nd opinion is received.

I think there are a couple of factors that go into people here losing their minds over this. One is that we've been starved of football for so long that everything is magnified right now. The tweaks that some players have that are keeping them sidelined are going to be common currency in the middle of the season. There will be guys held out of practice all the time during the season just to rest/protect an injury, and it won't end up being any real big deal. But because it's right now when people are desperate for football news, it gets blown the hell out of proportion. Secondly, it's just the Seahawks fanbase... we've gotten so burned for so long by so many things that the idea of being optimistic (or even realistic) about something simply doesn't occur to many folks. Any setback, real or imagined, becomes a reaffirmation to many that their team is cursed or doomed or whatever. And it goes beyond the standard fanaticism of people who post on team messageboards. You expect to see highs and lows from any devoted fanbase. And when the Seahawks are performing well, those highs definitely show up here. But when they lose a game, the gnashing of teeth, the negativity, the doom-and-gloom goes above and beyond any excitement shown when the team is successful.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:52 am
  • AlaskanViking wrote:Vikings fan here. Not looking to "talk smack", only to give my 2 cents on a WR who I have followed very closely for his entire NFL career.

Thanks for your perspective. I think most of us trust that Carroll and Schneider had a long talk with Harvin before they traded for and signed him. That's been hashed out quite a bit when the trade went down, so I won't go over it in too much detail.

As for the practice thing, I actually suspect you're wrong about Percy wanting to miss practice for a few reasons.

1. I have little doubt that Harvin wants to impress the other people on the Seahawks. Part of it is that he's the new shiny toy and he wants to fit in, but the other part of it is: Have you seen the dudes on our team? How could you not want to impress them when they're really good? Validation is important.

2. Carroll aims to make practice fun and exciting for the players. High energy, music blaring, and lots of competition. Harvin seems to be a very competitive type, and I'm sure he's more than willing to game on. (See point 1 again.)

3. It seems that the tear showed up on the MRI and the team is doing its due diligence in protecting their investment. So, to me, it sounded like it was top down and not bottom up.

Again, thanks for sharing with us.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:55 am
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    AlaskanViking wrote:Vikings fan here. Not looking to "talk smack", only to give my 2 cents on a WR who I have followed very closely for his entire NFL career.

I appreciate the perspective, but I fail to see how Harvin is generating "drama" when the team noted that an MRI showed a possible labrum tear. Do you think he tore his labrum - however much - intentionally to get out of practicing?

The only reason there's any drama is because people - not the Seahawks, the coaching staff, or the players apparently - are getting worked up over the fact that Harvin was held out of practice. These people are ignoring factors like...

1. If a player practices in training camp, he cannot be put on PUP. So if the team has any concern at all that they might need to use the PUP designation on a player, they need to use it right off the bat in TC. After all, they can always activate him whenever they want.
    2. A team is going to protect its investment, especially when there is no need to risk it. If Harvin does indeed have an injury that requires surgery, it makes zero sense for the team to trot him out for the first days of TC. If his injury is minor enough that surgery is not required, then all that's lost is a couple of days in July while the 2nd opinion is received.

I think there are a couple of factors that go into people here losing their minds over this. One is that we've been starved of football for so long that everything is magnified right now. The tweaks that some players have that are keeping them sidelined are going to be common currency in the middle of the season. There will be guys held out of practice all the time during the season just to rest/protect an injury, and it won't end up being any real big deal. But because it's right now when people are desperate for football news, it gets blown the hell out of proportion. Secondly, it's just the Seahawks fanbase... we've gotten so burned for so long by so many things that the idea of being optimistic (or even realistic) about something simply doesn't occur to many folks. Any setback, real or imagined, becomes a reaffirmation to many that their team is cursed or doomed or whatever. And it goes beyond the standard fanaticism of people who post on team messageboards. You expect to see highs and lows from any devoted fanbase. And when the Seahawks are performing well, those highs definitely show up here. But when they lose a game, the gnashing of teeth, the negativity, the doom-and-gloom goes above and beyond any excitement shown when the team is successful.

hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:55 am
  • Percy "didn't like practicing" with the Vikings . . . because Ponder sucks. Simple. :th2thumbs:

I'm sure he is excited to get on the field as much as possible with a real NFL QB.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:33 am
  • Three words: Matt Flynn's elbow. Remember when that convenient affliction allowed our rookie QB more snaps and made it easier to name him the starter? http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawksblog/2018990524_pete_carroll_un.html

The difference is that Percy isn't fighting another player for a single roster spot. The similarity is that it's plausibly a very minor twinge of an injury that allows Percy to avoid unnecessary harm (i.e., hits from Kam and BB, like BFS pointed out). Let's not forget, this is the defense that cut short Harvin's MVP-type season in 2012. Why risk it when we already know what he can do on gameday? More reps are always better for chemistry, but I seriously doubt the drop-off for missed practice between Russell and Percy is all that significant.

As for bothersome posters (be they 9ers or not), I recommend scrolling past without reading. Works every time. It's pretty easy too. Or as Dr. Diags suggested, use that "foe" button and let the Matrix erase those buggers for you.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:23 am

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:27 am
  • If he is hurt I am bummed
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:35 am

• drdiags wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    drdiags wrote:As a .Net suck up, I will take this opportunity to remind those who are dismayed with the heavy 9ers fan presence that the site owner along with the mods stated earlier this year that they were going to relax the ban hammer in an interest of having more inter-division rival exchange...............

I see you brought your knee pads today my friend. :mrgreen:

Trying to get extra rewards by kissing up to the man. I think you get a penny every two decades if you are a good boy around here ...

At our age you should be rich soon then.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Unless the injury got worse over the past week, I don't think this is going to cause him to miss any games.

This team takes care of players with injuries, despite the frustration it causes the fan base. How many times have we seen players held out of practice and how many of them actually miss games?

Well of course, the team's doctors can be complete frauds and misdiagnosed the highest paid player on the team. In that case, prepare for doomsday around here.
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:37 am
  • This decision to bring Harvin to this team places Pete directly on the hot seat.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:40 am
  • m0ng0 wrote:CUT HIM !!!!

If he is really hurt that he can't play this season I might have to agree .
    hawkfannj
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:41 am
  • Tech Worlds wrote:This decision to bring Harvin to this team places Pete directly on the hot seat.

Absolutely. They better win it all this year or Schneider should be gone too.
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:44 am
  • That settles it.

I'm shaving.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:47 am
  • bestfightstory wrote:That settles it.

I'm shaving.

What if he actually needs surgery come Tuesday? What if you shaving is what causes it? Have you considered the consequences of your actions?
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:54 am
  • iigakusei wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:This decision to bring Harvin to this team places Pete directly on the hot seat.

Absolutely. They better win it all this year or Schneider should be gone too.

Apparently Friday morning is sarcasm morning in the NorthWest? :?
    NinerBuff
    NET Rookie

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:25 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information