Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Harvin -
Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:48 pm
  • IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:Sports Certified Physical Therapist's perspective here: a turn labrum in the hip can mean almost nothing, or it could be really bad. For those that don't know, the labrum is a ring of connective tissue that goes around the outside of the entire socket to help deepen the socket and provide more stability to the joint. The labrum can be torn at any point in that ring but the location of the tear (i.e. the o'clock vs nine o'clock position) and the size of the tear are what's important.

    We will likely never know those specifics. If a tear is small enough, or in some locations then it just means he plays through some discomfort. If the tear is in other locations, or if it's big enough then surgery is required because of the lack of stability in the hip joint that occurs. Without surgical repair the tear could get bigger, or other secondary injuries could occur because of new sloppy mechanics in the joint.

    Considering he was playing at full speed very recently and had a complaint of some hip discomfort during OTAs my best guess is that this is not something that will require surgery. I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't see the practice field until 2-3 weeks from now if the hip is already inflamed. Note: I have nothing to base that on other than his recent timeline and my educated speculation.

    Hopefully I'm correct.


    Thanks for the insight and perspective. Like you, I can only make an educated guess, but I suspect the odds of Harvin getting surgery soon are less than 50%. If this is a serious enough problem to warrant surgery, then I think it's pretty likely that Harvin would have brought the subject up in June when he first felt discomfort. Also, Carroll is known for having players play through pain and minor injuries. He's not reckless, but he does like to take chances with borderline injury situations- particularly for good starters. Avril, Bennett, Miller, Red Bryant (in 2012) and Tjack (in 2011) are examples of that.
    Last edited by kearly on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 15975
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:49 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Depends on how torn it is. A slight tear will be fine with therapy. Just have him run a handful of snaps in the pre-season to get a smidge of gametime with the offense and don't let him return a kickoff until the regular season.

    I really am sad that Leon Washington just isn't a good runner out of the backfield anymore and that we couldn't justify holding onto him because having him waiting in the wings would make this a ton easier. Of course, with Michael and Ware being drafted, he STILL might not make this team even if he was a better conventional runner.

    Turbin kind of reminds me of Washington. Obviously he is a better RB, but they both seem to have the same mold. Could he do it?
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 499
    Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 pm


Re: Harvin -
Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:50 pm
  • kearly wrote:
    IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:Sports Certified Physical Therapist's perspective here: a turn labrum in the hip can mean almost nothing, or it could be really bad. For those that don't know, the labrum is a ring of connective tissue that goes around the outside of the entire socket to help deepen the socket and provide more stability to the joint. The labrum can be torn at any point in that ring but the location of the tear (i.e. the o'clock vs nine o'clock position) and the size of the tear are what's important.

    We will likely never know those specifics. If a tear is small enough, or in some locations then it just means he plays through some discomfort. If the tear is in other locations, or if it's big enough then surgery is required because of the lack of stability in the hip joint that occurs. Without surgical repair the tear could get bigger, or other secondary injuries could occur because of new sloppy mechanics in the joint.

    Considering he was playing at full speed very recently and had a complaint of some hip discomfort during OTAs my best guess is that this is not something that will require surgery. I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't see the practice field until 2-3 weeks from now if the hip is already inflamed. Note: I have nothing to base that on other than his recent timeline and my educated speculation.

    Hopefully I'm correct.


    Thanks for the insight and perspective. Like you, I can only make an educated guess, but I suspect the odds of Harvin getting surgery soon are less than 50%. If this is a serious enough problem to warrant surgery, then I think it's pretty likely that Harvin would have brought the subject up in June when he first felt discomfort. Also, Carroll is known for having players play through pain and minor injuries. He's not reckless, but he does like to take chances with borderline injury situations- particularly for good starters. Avril, Bennett, Miller, Red Bryant (in 2012) and Tjack (in 2011) are examples of that.

    Am i missing something here? When has Pete had prior experience with the players bolded?
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 499
    Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:52 pm
  • SoHo9erFan wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Depends on how torn it is. A slight tear will be fine with therapy. Just have him run a handful of snaps in the pre-season to get a smidge of gametime with the offense and don't let him return a kickoff until the regular season.

    I really am sad that Leon Washington just isn't a good runner out of the backfield anymore and that we couldn't justify holding onto him because having him waiting in the wings would make this a ton easier. Of course, with Michael and Ware being drafted, he STILL might not make this team even if he was a better conventional runner.

    Turbin kind of reminds me of Washington. Obviously he is a better RB, but they both seem to have the same mold. Could he do it?


    Turbin doesn't have the cutback ability or vision, I don't think. They want Christine Michael to give KR/PR duty a whirl, and I bet he gets a lot of touches that way this year sharing some of those duties with Harvin. Michael did some PR work as a frosh at A&M if I am not mistaken.
    Colin Kaepernick is a great person, something that the NFL is sorely lacking.
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4282
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:53 pm
  • I saw earl KR, pls no, we need him at S
    User avatar
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2452
    Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:20 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:54 pm
  • What are we worried about people? We're we not good enough without him last year? This is just a small bump in the road to the superbowl, it's way too early to start freaking out about something w know so little about....
    Displaced to the south by marriage..... Lifetime Hawk fan BY CHOICE!!! (not always an easy choice)
    User avatar
    HAWKFaninBAMA
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 230
    Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:38 pm
    Location: Mobile, AL


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:56 pm
  • This team proved they can make the playoffs without him, let's do surgery and get him healthy for the playoffs
    User avatar
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2452
    Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:20 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:57 pm
  • They won one playoff game. A guy like this flat out can make the difference. Not the end of the world, but to just not be worried at all, can't do it.
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9040
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:57 pm
  • NinerLifer wrote:Wondering though...

    If given the option, would you rather Harvin decide to go ahead with surgery if it means that he would be available prior to the post-season, or would some of you rather him elect to not have surgery at all and take the chance of him injuring it further which would result in him missing the remainder of the season from that point?

    There are disadvantages to both scenarios, but given that defenders will no doubt target that hip if he doesn't elect surgery, choosing to have the surgery now would possibly be in his and your teams best interest.


    I'm sure the fact that San Francisco has to play in Seattle on September 15 has no bearing on your opinion, right? ;)
    User avatar
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1498
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:59 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    SoHo9erFan wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Depends on how torn it is. A slight tear will be fine with therapy. Just have him run a handful of snaps in the pre-season to get a smidge of gametime with the offense and don't let him return a kickoff until the regular season.

    I really am sad that Leon Washington just isn't a good runner out of the backfield anymore and that we couldn't justify holding onto him because having him waiting in the wings would make this a ton easier. Of course, with Michael and Ware being drafted, he STILL might not make this team even if he was a better conventional runner.

    Turbin kind of reminds me of Washington. Obviously he is a better RB, but they both seem to have the same mold. Could he do it?


    Turbin doesn't have the cutback ability or vision, I don't think. They want Christine Michael to give KR/PR duty a whirl, and I bet he gets a lot of touches that way this year sharing some of those duties with Harvin. Michael did some PR work as a frosh at A&M if I am not mistaken.

    Won't Michael solidify himself as the #2 back behind Lynch? I was under that impression when he was drafted, and, if that's the case, then I figured it would be safer to put Turbin back there to get touches. But hey, if Michael has experience then that would definitely make sense to put him out there.
    Last edited by SoHo9erFan on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 499
    Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:59 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:They won one playoff game. A guy like this flat out can make the difference. Not the end of the world, but to just not be worried at all, can't do it.

    He'll be back by the playoffs regardless.
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 499
    Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:13 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    TheRealDTM wrote:We all deserve this for not listening to Vikings fans. Sure would love to have 10m in cap space, a 3rd round pick and Cordalle Patterson right about now.


    OMG!! Your so right! We should have called the seahawks up and told them the vikings fans said it was a bad trade for us and to not do it!!


    That's not what I mean, I mean right after we traded for him when every viking fan was saying "he's your headache now" and we said "But he's a hawk now, vikings just suck. Going to be smooth sailing."

    It's like... karma man...
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    User avatar
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1730
    Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:26 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:17 pm
  • Even odds that he will play against the Panthers. :179422:
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7117
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:13 pm
    Location: Puyallup, WA USA


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:19 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:They won one playoff game. A guy like this flat out can make the difference. Not the end of the world, but to just not be worried at all, can't do it.

    Well our offense certainly wasn't the case of us losing to Atlanta. I'm more concerned with our lack of pass rush than I am on anything to do with our offense.
    User avatar
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1666
    Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:12 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:21 pm
  • OMG the world is fallling apart...

    One of my favourite lessons from PC is .."reserve judgement". Just wait and see.
    Image

    "We all we got, we all we need"
    User avatar
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2024
    Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:00 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:27 pm
  • Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    User avatar
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8686
    Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:46 pm
    Location: WA


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:29 pm
  • I'm on the side of not being worried. Athletes such as him (sprinters) are in tune with their body and when they feel something they put the brakes on compared to a lineman for example who will continue on through the pain.
    He'll be ready.
    Floridahawk79
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1079
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:52 am
    Location: Orlando, Florida


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:32 pm
  • If Pete says it's nothing, The guy is day to day.
    If Pete says it bears watching, he isn't playing this week.
    If Pete says he is out a week, he is out a month.
    If Pete says he is out a few weeks, he is headed to IR.
    If Pete says the injury looked really bad, he is dead.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 14663
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:41 pm
  • From Saturday:

    "Percy Harvin ‏@Percy_Harvin 20 Jul
    Started my engine ( my legs/ body) past few days to make sue everything running. everything checked out and gas on full ... Ready for camp"

    so somehow between saturday and today he's suffered a horrifying season ending labrum tear in his hip?

    Nah. Don't buy it.
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3503
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:42 pm
  • Hawknballs wrote:From Saturday:

    "Percy Harvin ‏@Percy_Harvin 20 Jul
    Started my engine ( my legs/ body) past few days to make sue everything running. everything checked out and gas on full ... Ready for camp"

    so somehow between saturday and today he's suffered a horrifying season ending labrum tear in his hip?

    Nah. Don't buy it.



    Or we can add liar on top of injury prone malcontent?
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    User avatar
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1730
    Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:26 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:43 pm
  • Hawknballs wrote:so somehow between saturday and today he's suffered a horrifying season ending labrum tear in his hip?

    Nah. Don't buy it.

    that is typically how injuries work.
    Last edited by SoHo9erFan on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 499
    Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:43 pm
  • Hawknballs wrote:
    brimsalabim wrote:Why are we waiting on a second opinion now? From what I've read to qualify for the pre season PUP a player can't have practiced a single minute. These injuries had to be known before today.



    the preseason PUP requirements for practice mean training camp, OTA's are voluntary.


    ok so it happend in OTA's... then they knew about this before today right? I mean OTA's weren't yesterday.
    User avatar
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4003
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:44 pm
  • SoHo9erFan wrote:cc83"]

    Kyle Williams is equivalent to Baldwin and this forum seems to think Baldwin is a formidable receiver. So yeah using your logic it makes sense. And Kyle has great hands as a receiver. I can't recall him dropping a pass. Sure, he muffed some crucial punts, but that is not an indictment on his receiving skills.


    In what world is Kyle WIlliams the Equivalent of Doug Baldwin? This statement is beyond a stretch.
    Williams has a whopping 461 receiving yards, 4TD's in 4 years. His best stats (2011) was 20 catches for 241 yards and 3 TD's. That' not exactly groundbreaking. That comes to 1.4 catches per game, for just 18.9 yards a game played in his 2 years he's played (2010 was basically a redshirt year). Pretty pedestrian.

    2011- 13 games, 20-Catches, 241- Yards, 3- Td's, 12.0-avg.
    2012 11 games, 14- Catches, 212- Yards, 1- Td's, 15.1- avg. 1- Fumble

    Meanwhile Doug Baldwin in BOTH his years in the league has far outperformed:
    2011 16 games, 51- catches, 788 - yards, 4- Td's, 15.5- Avg.
    2012 14 games, 29- catches, 366- yards, 3- TD's, 12.6- avg.

    I thought a better comparison for Williams might have been Golden Tate, whose take a few years to get going as a productive player, But after looking at the stats, that's not close either.

    Golden Tate
    2010 11 games, 21-catches, 227 yards, 0 TD's, 10.8 Avg.
    2011 16 games, 35- catches, 382 yards, 3 TD's, 10.9 avg, 1 fumble
    2012 15 games, 45- catches, 688 yards, 7 TD's, 15.3 avg, 1 fumble.

    Mario Manningham is a much better player than Kyle Williams and he's merely average.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2739
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:45 pm
  • brimsalabim wrote:
    Hawknballs wrote:
    brimsalabim wrote:Why are we waiting on a second opinion now? From what I've read to qualify for the pre season PUP a player can't have practiced a single minute. These injuries had to be known before today.



    the preseason PUP requirements for practice mean training camp, OTA's are voluntary.


    ok so it happend in OTA's... then they knew about this before today right? I mean OTA's weren't yesterday.

    But Saturday his "gas tank (was) full" and he was "ready for camp". :snack:
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 20862
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:49 pm
  • jlwaters1 wrote:
    SoHo9erFan wrote:cc83"]

    Kyle Williams is equivalent to Baldwin and this forum seems to think Baldwin is a formidable receiver. So yeah using your logic it makes sense. And Kyle has great hands as a receiver. I can't recall him dropping a pass. Sure, he muffed some crucial punts, but that is not an indictment on his receiving skills.


    In what world is Kyle WIlliams the Equivalent of Doug Baldwin? This statement is beyond a stretch.


    Because what happens is that Niners fans see Kyle Williams make a fantastically athletic catch and extrapolate that over if he started sixteen games in the slot.

    But the truth is that Williams is a mediocre route-runner that drops balls at the worst time, and I am going to the metrics to prove that if need be. He makes flashy plays, but then he makes boneheaded plays right after that cancel out the flashy plays.
    Colin Kaepernick is a great person, something that the NFL is sorely lacking.
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4282
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:52 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    jlwaters1 wrote:
    SoHo9erFan wrote:cc83"]

    Kyle Williams is equivalent to Baldwin and this forum seems to think Baldwin is a formidable receiver. So yeah using your logic it makes sense. And Kyle has great hands as a receiver. I can't recall him dropping a pass. Sure, he muffed some crucial punts, but that is not an indictment on his receiving skills.


    In what world is Kyle WIlliams the Equivalent of Doug Baldwin? This statement is beyond a stretch.


    Because what happens is that Niners fans see Kyle Williams make a fantastically athletic catch and extrapolate that over if he started sixteen games in the slot.

    But the truth is that Williams is a mediocre route-runner that drops balls at the worst time, and I am going to the metrics to prove that if need be. He makes flashy plays, but then he makes boneheaded plays right after that cancel out the flashy plays.


    Sounds like early career Golden Tate, except... He's not Golden Tate.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 20664
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:54 pm
  • Kyle Williams was about half as good as Golden Tate in college, so no, not by a long-shot, but yeah, I think that's how quite a few Niners fans envision him. I would guess that a lot of them are cautiously optimistic for a Tate-like breakout season this year, especially with Crabtree out.
    Colin Kaepernick is a great person, something that the NFL is sorely lacking.
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4282
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:00 pm
  • jlwaters1 wrote:
    SoHo9erFan wrote:cc83"]

    Kyle Williams is equivalent to Baldwin and this forum seems to think Baldwin is a formidable receiver. So yeah using your logic it makes sense. And Kyle has great hands as a receiver. I can't recall him dropping a pass. Sure, he muffed some crucial punts, but that is not an indictment on his receiving skills.


    In what world is Kyle WIlliams the Equivalent of Doug Baldwin? This statement is beyond a stretch.
    Williams has a whopping 461 receiving yards, 4TD's in 4 years. His best stats (2011) was 20 catches for 241 yards and 3 TD's. That' not exactly groundbreaking. That comes to 1.4 catches per game, for just 18.9 yards a game played in his 2 years he's played (2010 was basically a redshirt year). Pretty pedestrian.

    2011- 13 games, 20-Catches, 241- Yards, 3- Td's, 12.0-avg.
    2012 11 games, 14- Catches, 212- Yards, 1- Td's, 15.1- avg. 1- Fumble

    Meanwhile Doug Baldwin in BOTH his years in the league has far outperformed:
    2011 16 games, 51- catches, 788 - yards, 4- Td's, 15.5- Avg.
    2012 14 games, 29- catches, 366- yards, 3- TD's, 12.6- avg.

    I thought a better comparison for Williams might have been Golden Tate, whose take a few years to get going as a productive player, But after looking at the stats, that's not close either.

    Golden Tate
    2010 11 games, 21-catches, 227 yards, 0 TD's, 10.8 Avg.
    2011 16 games, 35- catches, 382 yards, 3 TD's, 10.9 avg, 1 fumble
    2012 15 games, 45- catches, 688 yards, 7 TD's, 15.3 avg, 1 fumble.

    Mario Manningham is a much better player than Kyle Williams and he's merely average.

    Alex Smith has been Kyle Williams QB. He only had 2 or 3 games with Kaep before he went down. Alex Smith was afraid to throw the ball outside the margins. That's why we eventually made the switch to Kaep. Because Harbaugh knew the offense was way more dynamic with a QB willing to throw the ball down field instead of checking down to RBs or rely on Vernon Davis the whole game. Kyle was a huge loss last season. Same with Manningham. Both went down around the same time Kaep became the started. Imagine what those receivers could do in an offense that was more aggressive than an Alex Smith offense. Kaep is willing to target his receivers. Smith never did. Kyle Williams and Manningham will be highly productive in an offense run by Kaep.

    Usually stats are a reliable source to judge a player, but in Kyle's instance I don't think it is an accurate way to measure his ability and talent.
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 499
    Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:04 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    jlwaters1 wrote:
    SoHo9erFan wrote:cc83"]

    Kyle Williams is equivalent to Baldwin and this forum seems to think Baldwin is a formidable receiver. So yeah using your logic it makes sense. And Kyle has great hands as a receiver. I can't recall him dropping a pass. Sure, he muffed some crucial punts, but that is not an indictment on his receiving skills.


    In what world is Kyle WIlliams the Equivalent of Doug Baldwin? This statement is beyond a stretch.


    Because what happens is that Niners fans see Kyle Williams make a fantastically athletic catch and extrapolate that over if he started sixteen games in the slot.

    But the truth is that Williams is a mediocre route-runner that drops balls at the worst time, and I am going to the metrics to prove that if need be. He makes flashy plays, but then he makes boneheaded plays right after that cancel out the flashy plays.

    You obviously don't know what your talking about. Kyle has never been a slot receiver in the NFL. Crabtree always assumes that role when we go into 3 WRs set. Kyle always plays on the outside. He is not a slot receiver. Week 1 you will see:
    Manningham-- Boldin-- Davis--- Williams as our 3 WR set. Go ahead and believe Colin can't get the job done with that core. Especially when we have Gore, James, or Hunter in the backfield.
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 499
    Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:05 pm
  • kyle williams sucks. can we stop talking about him now? Thanks.
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3503
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:06 pm
  • No, I watched Kyle Williams be inconsistent as a Sun Devil for years, I know what I'm talking about.

    Kyle Williams on the outside should be fun, though. We can just let everyone cover Vernon Davis and spy Kaepernick out of the backfield if Williams is SF's Z receiver.
    Colin Kaepernick is a great person, something that the NFL is sorely lacking.
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4282
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:20 pm
  • I pop in here to get info on Percy and I'm polluted with all this Niners comparisons. WTH? WGAS?
    User avatar
    HOLLYWOOD
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 829
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 7:56 am
    Location: Closer than you think...


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:22 pm
  • I'm amazed at how efficiently these 9ers fans hijack a thread.
    User avatar
    SDHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 623
    Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:06 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:22 pm
  • HOLLYWOOD wrote:I pop in here to get info on Percy and I'm polluted with all this Niners comparisons. WTH? WGAS?

    Yup. Sick of every other thread being ruined
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7689
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:26 pm
  • Well this sucks .
    User avatar
    hawkfannj
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3026
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:51 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:30 pm
  • I heard Kaepernick has a torn labia.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

    :les:
    User avatar
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5491
    Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:30 pm
  • Hoping for the best....
    Image Image
    User avatar
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2255
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:18 pm
    Location: Marysville, WA


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:42 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:I heard Kaepernick has a torn labia.



    Really I heard he and Lockette had an accident and he tore something else....
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    User avatar
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1730
    Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:26 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:44 pm
  • SoHo9erFan wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:
    SoHo9erFan wrote:
    Kyle Williams is equivalent to Baldwin and this forum seems to think Baldwin is a formidable receiver. So yeah using your logic it makes sense. And Kyle has great hands as a receiver. I can't recall him dropping a pass. Sure, he muffed some crucial punts, but that is not an indictment on his receiving skills.


    In other words, you're concocting a strawman argument based on things I never said (and which isn't even the prevailing opinion of this board, discounting the fact that most people think he's a warrior after getting back on the field after the Arizona game). Furthermore, Dougie Fresh had 2 TDs against SF, didn't he? Looks to me like your savior has amassed a whopping 22 yards on 2 catches against Seattle.

    And yes, dropping crucial punts IS an indictment. An indictment about his hands of stone. My head hurts looking at this poor attempt at this defense of what's going to be a terrible receiving corps next year.

    Whatever. He only played one game against your squad. The one game was with Alex Smith at QB who rarely targeted WRs compared to Kaep. Kyle was a huge loss last season. Same with Manningham. Both went down around the same time Kaep became the started. Imagine what those receivers could do in an offense that was more aggressive than an Alex Smith offense. Mario and Kyle will return by Week 1. Both are formidable receivers. Your blind hate is really old.


    Correction 2 games against Seattle.

    More importantly, you're calling me a blind hater because you can't back up your arguments with facts or logic, so you have to resort to what ifs and red herrings. However, I'm done arguing about this because reality will set in soon enough, and we should be talking about a real formidable receiver and not one who should be auditioning for the part of the Rock Biter in the reboot of Neverending Story. *Such big strong hands*
    Super Bowl Champions XLVIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 16946
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:13 pm
  • Soooo...what are the chances hid season is done before starting?
    Shadyhawk182
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 354
    Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:57 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:20 pm
  • Shadyhawk182 wrote:Soooo...what are the chances hid season is done before starting?


    I am actually just planning on him not being on the field all season while he watches his team tear it up.
    The only concern I have and I mean only is that Bevell will get cute and pass even though Lynch is gaining yardage. 1/30/2015 - loaf
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 6206
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Lake Tapps, WA


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:29 pm
  • His season probably isn't over, Clayton said worst case 13 weeks, best case 9
    User avatar
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2452
    Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:20 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:37 pm
  • davidonmi wrote:His season probably isn't over, Clayton said worst case 13 weeks, best case 9


    How can he give a best case of 9 if we don't even know if he needs surgery?
    hawksincebirth wrote:
    So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    User avatar
    Cartire
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4544
    Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:38 pm
  • davidonmi wrote:His season probably isn't over, Clayton said worst case 13 weeks, best case 9



    So you are claiming that Clayton has declared Harvin OUT for 9 weeks minimum?
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8498
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:39 pm
  • Cartire wrote:
    davidonmi wrote:His season probably isn't over, Clayton said worst case 13 weeks, best case 9


    How can he give a best case of 9 if we don't even know if he needs surgery?


    If he doesn't "need" surgery now...defenders will make sure he "needs" it before week 9.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:41 pm
  • davidonmi wrote:His season probably isn't over, Clayton said worst case 13 weeks, best case 9


    What a guessing hack. I would love to get paid millions of bucks to be a professional guesser too!
    User avatar
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3948
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:42 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    davidonmi wrote:His season probably isn't over, Clayton said worst case 13 weeks, best case 9


    What a guessing hack. I would love to get paid millions of bucks to be a professional guesser too!


    That's IF he requires surgery. (which I don't think he will)
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23858
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:49 pm
  • NinerLifer wrote:
    Cartire wrote:
    davidonmi wrote:His season probably isn't over, Clayton said worst case 13 weeks, best case 9


    How can he give a best case of 9 if we don't even know if he needs surgery?


    If he doesn't "need" surgery now...defenders will make sure he "needs" it before week 9.


    Yeah, just like how defenders are going to be gunning for that 2 read, run happy qb of yours.

    Seriously guys. Why do we let Niner fans troll our main board so much now? Its really offputting to have to read constantly. Makes me second guess how much time i want to spend on the site. I come to discuss Hawks. Not read Niner fans having to give their 2 cents on every subject.
    User avatar
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 4714
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:35 am
    Location: Seattle, WA


Re: Harvin -
Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:51 pm
  • Shadowhawk wrote:
    NinerLifer wrote:Wondering though...

    If given the option, would you rather Harvin decide to go ahead with surgery if it means that he would be available prior to the post-season, or would some of you rather him elect to not have surgery at all and take the chance of him injuring it further which would result in him missing the remainder of the season from that point?

    There are disadvantages to both scenarios, but given that defenders will no doubt target that hip if he doesn't elect surgery, choosing to have the surgery now would possibly be in his and your teams best interest.


    I'm sure the fact that San Francisco has to play in Seattle on September 15 has no bearing on your opinion, right? ;)


    Actually the opposite. Harvin or no Harvin, C-Link is tough to win at so I don't think that Harvin not being in uniform that game will have that big of an effect on the outcome.

    If he starts the season, like I said above, defenders will target that hip when tackling him and will eventually end his season, which would hurt you guys more by not having him in the case you make the playoffs. Also having him on the field without surgery will mean that he isn't 100% and won't be able to cut and escape tackles as well as he used to.

    So if he is on the field week 2 against Willis, Bowman, The Smiths, etc....I think he would actually helping our team more than yours, since a single hit by either of them could be his last of the season. Having him return a single kick without surgery at any point in the season without surgery might as well be a one way ticket to IR.

    So as a fan of football, and out of respect for the player, I think he would be smart to elect surgery now if required.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


Re: Harvin - "ailing hip"....(labrum)
Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:53 pm
  • SeaTown81 wrote:
    Seriously guys. Why do we let Niner fans troll our main board so much now? Its really offputting to have to read constantly. Makes me second guess how much time i want to spend on the site. I come to discuss Hawks. Not read Niner fans having to give their 2 cents on every subject.

    Could not agree more.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 20862
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


PreviousNext


It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:10 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online