Really the worst call in nfl history?

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 49941.html
This writer is a little over the top with this article. I understand most NFL fans don't understand when and how a player retains possession of a ball. I have no problem with anyone questioning the call on the play either it is up for debate. Its just the way he writes this article is beyond bull shit. Not meaning to bring up a debate on if its a catch or not just this guys article is almost abusive.

nsport

Reaction score
The whole replacement refs thing is so out of proportion it isn't even funny. So many bad calls are made by the "expert refs" - but people were looking for scapegoats. There were an unusual amount of bad calls in that game and many others. But I'd go out on a limb and say that the frequency of bad calls was not much more than in any other normal NFL game. It was exacerbated because the replacement refs were much slower than the regulars when making tough calls. That being said, I'm on record as saying that the catch was a catch - but obviously that play never should have happened based on the last few possessions of that game. Lots of drive-extending calls and non-calls that should have kept that game in Seattle's favor. You gotta hand it to Seattle for making plays to win that game - no matter if you are a fan of replacement refs or Green Bay. Good teams put themselves in a position to win - both Green Bay and Seattle did that. Seahawks came out on top.

bubbrubb

Reaction score
nsport":336jgy1h said:
The whole replacement refs thing is so out of proportion it isn't even funny. So many bad calls are made by the "expert refs" - but people were looking for scapegoats. There were an unusual amount of bad calls in that game and many others. But I'd go out on a limb and say that the frequency of bad calls was not much more than in any other normal NFL game. It was exacerbated because the replacement refs were much slower than the regulars when making tough calls. That being said, I'm on record as saying that the catch was a catch - but obviously that play never should have happened based on the last few possessions of that game. Lots of drive-extending calls and non-calls that should have kept that game in Seattle's favor. You gotta hand it to Seattle for making plays to win that game - no matter if you are a fan of replacement refs or Green Bay. Good teams put themselves in a position to win - both Green Bay and Seattle did that. Seahawks came out on top.

Uh.....no....the replacements were pretty bad. Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but real ref dont make conflicting calls at a crucial point in the game....They'll discuss first. Look at it objectively and i think its fair to say it was one of the worst calls in history.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I think the refs made the right call in that game, but I don't think they knew they did until later.

But the worst call? Even if it was wrong, it was far from the worst call. Someone, name one other time when that situation occurred. Multi possession in the end zone to end the game.

The push off was bad and blown, but again, where has it ever been called on hail Mary plays?

Another Seahawks favorite being the Testaverde Helmet TD.

There are many calls that were worse. I remember the Oilers getting SHAFTED in a playoff game on a TD that was called incomplete. The Megaton catch for TD that cost them the game comes to mind too.

At least that call happened in week 3, as much as the Packers hurt from it, they had a chance to recover and couldn't put it away when it mattered against Minnesota.

No way that call is the worst call.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
bubbrubb":3l1j0ez3 said:
Uh.....no....the replacements were pretty bad. Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but real ref dont make conflicting calls at a crucial point in the game....They'll discuss first. Look at it objectively and i think its fair to say it was one of the worst calls in history.

You know what's funny? The last time the Packers won the Super Bowl, they were the last seed in the playoffs and wouldn't have made it without TWO OBVIOUS blown TD calls that pushed them over the edge for a win over Minnesota during the regular season. I don't see any Packers fans saying they shouldn't even have made the playoffs that year, and that they shouldn't have that trophy. In case you think I'm full of it, read this link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ight-game/

Then, go verify the NFC playoff seeding for that year. Packers had the 6th seed, AND there were two other NFC teams with the same win/loss record.

OP
OP
C

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
We could all go into awful nfl calls, I mean for the same season that are just as bad or worst. What I wanted this topic more to be about is how abusive this writer is over this call towards the ref and the seahawks. Its like he has only watched football for one year and is the most mainstream media person ever. That and how did this call become so main stream media in the first place. Cause theres a long long long list of god awful calls that are way ahead of this? I guess I know how because it was MNF and the replacement refs, but I mean enouph is enouph with the BS. Oh no the steelers, giants, packers, cowboys, patriots, got cheated out of a game im done with this shit.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Who gives a $$$$? The season is over and done with. It had no bearing on last season. It has no bearing on this comig season. Move on. Get over it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":f3fipr25 said:
It had no bearing on last season.

That's for sure, considering the utter ineptitude of the Packers defensive schemes in their loss @ S.F. They did a great job of opening up 30-yard lanes for Kaepernick every other down.

dunceface

Reaction score
Fork this article and the cornhole clown who wrote it I just wanna post in this thread to show off my new avatar :th2thumbs:

warden

Reaction score
There where many worse calls in Superbowl XL

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
bubbrubb":2k6yl3o2 said:
Uh.....no....the replacements were pretty bad. Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but real ref dont make conflicting calls at a crucial point in the game....They'll discuss first.
The two refs in the endzone didn't make conflicting calls.

One signaled TD, the other signaled time out.

Go back and re-watch the play.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Even if it was a bad call, most people now are looking at the play and at least acknowledge that it wasn't even close to the worst play in history. I was reading through the PFT comments about the story yesterday and even some Packers fans and other fans were saying that they see how it could have gone both ways.

Now that the heat of the moment is over, the average person still isn't saying it is the worst of all time or anything close.

A

Anonymous

The Testeverde touchdown, back in the day.

For some strange reason, that one just won't go away for me...

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Worst call? In a match-up that was at the beginning of the season? Give me any questionable call during the playoffs or championship game...where one bad call WILL have more of an impact on an outcome.

If this one game is the reason Green Bay didn't win a Superbowl, I'd say they have some issues over there.

Refs got it right, and some people are too stubborn to alter their perception.

Seeker

Reaction score
bubbrubb":1ft9do7l said:
nsport":1ft9do7l said:

Did it cost a superbowl? NO
Did it cost GB the playoffs? NO
Was it clear and indisputable? NO
Do NFL referees make similar calls? YES in fact the real refs came in and made a similar call weeks later and no one said a word.
if you look at it objectively the seahawks were used as sacrificial lambs for the sports media to bring back the refs. replacement refs were a problem because they jeopardized gambling for the NFL.