Percy Harvin vs. Cordarrelle Patterson

DeletedAccount

Reaction score
I've been hearing a lot of great stuff about Cordarrelle coming out of Vikings camp. For those of you that don't know him, he is a bigger faster do-it-all wr/rb/pr Percy Harvin type that Minn took with our 1st rounder. A knock against is apparently he body catches and routes aren't overly crisp.

i honestly know nothing more about the kid than what I read and a quick highlight reel. Highlight reel is very impressive, by the way! My question to those that know him is, would we rather have Cordarrelle with his cheaper contract and our draft picks back or Percy Harvin? Now, I'm not hatin Percy. in fact, I love him. And it may have just been worth it to keep him away from San Fran...BUT...Just seems like we could have kept our picks and got a bigger faster version of him with Cordarrell with our 1st. Thoughts?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
One's a proven NFL player. The other is a crapshoot. Who knows how they compare until Cordarelle gets some professional experience.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure both are better than the receiver you got on your browns team.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Harvin.

Gruden ripped Patterson apart when he was drafted. JS obviously wasn't impressed with him. Tavon Austin was the only WR that JS was even willing to mention in the same sentence as Harvin. Even if Patterson eventually develops into a player, it won't be for another 2-3 years. Dude is RAW. Seattle is ready to win now. Haven't thought twice about him since the draft.

drdiags

Reaction score
Thought the Vikings got bent over by the Patriots for the 29th pick, which they used on Patterson? The Seahawks pick was used on a defensive player if my memory serves me correctly. Just to nitpick.

I don't mind the draft picks given up for Harvin. It is the money tied up in the position that means a pretty good player is hitting the pavement next year. If Patterson kicks butt his rookie season, some will wonder the same thing about picking him vs investing heavy into Harvin. Harvin performs well, the questioning will not happen until next off-season when players are removed from the roster due to the money tied up in the position.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Patterson comes with the cheaper contract, which is true, but my understanding is he's fairly raw coming out of Tennessee. A one productive season and done with college sort of thing. So while Patterson may eventually be a tremendous WR, you're also putting in the time and effort to get to the finished product.

With Harvin we're paying for his production right now. I think with the position the Hawks are in it makes a lot of sense.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Seesurfers, were you the poster who left the Seahawks to follow the Browns?

kearly

Reaction score
Patterson has a ton of running talent, but I'd be surprised if he makes a major impact for a few years. He has a lot to learn about the WR position.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
seesurfers":37fg5s4y said:
A knock against is apparently he body catches and routes aren't overly crisp.

Uh, that's a pretty big knock. He'll need some time to develop; Harvin comes much more ready-made.

mikeak

Reaction score
Many guys can catch, many are fast. Few learns to run crisp routes which is often the difference between a completion and an interception.

Not saying be won't pan out but looking good in practice is far from being an NFL star

Snohomie

Reaction score
I'd rather have Percy.

Two reasons: Until someone takes it from him, Percy is the best run after catch receiver in the NFL. I like Austin and Patterson, but #1 is #1. Also, Harvin can get himself open, Patterson is going to struggle with that a lot in his first few seasons, he's great after the catch but below average getting the catch unless the play is drawn up to feed him the ball. Think Bruce Irvin last year, as a WR.

Because we have so many weapons (wow that is cool to say), we need someone who can get max value on fewer touches. If we had Cordarelle, he might fill the same role as Harvin, but he is unlikely to do it as well, and Harvin is going to make plays every week as a second or third target that Patterson wouldn't make.

Uffda

Reaction score
Maybe we can pickup Patterson from the Vikings , after Harvins contract is up in a few years if he becomes good.

j/k

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
For 16 game clip in 2012, Harvin was on pace for about:

110 catches, 1200 yards, and 6 TDs. 64 First Downs (58%)

Not necessarily elite by any means compared to the best WRs in the game.

However, about 81.5 % of his receiving yards were made after the catch (552/677)

Which would put Harvin's YAC around 979 yards for a full-season. Unlikely that he would achieve such numbers through a full-season but through the 9 games he did play it was truly a tremendous feat.

Percy Harvin also had a 75.6% catch rate. Add that to the sure handed receiving trio of Rice, Tate, and Miller plus the ever-so-intelligent Russell Willson should give Seattle one of the most efficient passing games in the NFL.

If Baldwin shakes off his injury riddled so-so season last year and improves... If Willson becomes a field-stretching move TE... not many defenses will be able to match up against our Offense especially on what could be an improved running game.

Lots and lots of stuff to be excited for as a Seahawks fan. Hopefully we can click right out of the gates and not just the 2nd half like we have in 2011, 2012.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Uffda":2gf5ab1b said:
Maybe we can pickup Patterson from the Vikings , after Harvins contract is up in a few years if he becomes good.

j/k

We probably will, honetly.

chris98251

Reaction score
Taters is a good comparison, even now if you had Harvin and Tate I would go with Harvin due to sheer ability to line up anywhere and make a defense account for you on every play.