Percy Harvin vs. Cordarrelle Patterson

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Percy Harvin vs. Cordarrelle Patterson
Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:03 pm
  • I've been hearing a lot of great stuff about Cordarrelle coming out of Vikings camp. For those of you that don't know him, he is a bigger faster do-it-all wr/rb/pr Percy Harvin type that Minn took with our 1st rounder. A knock against is apparently he body catches and routes aren't overly crisp.

i honestly know nothing more about the kid than what I read and a quick highlight reel. Highlight reel is very impressive, by the way! My question to those that know him is, would we rather have Cordarrelle with his cheaper contract and our draft picks back or Percy Harvin? Now, I'm not hatin Percy. in fact, I love him. And it may have just been worth it to keep him away from San Fran...BUT...Just seems like we could have kept our picks and got a bigger faster version of him with Cordarrell with our 1st. Thoughts?
    seesurfers
    NET Starter

• One's a proven NFL player. The other is a crapshoot. Who knows how they compare until Cordarelle gets some professional experience.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• I'm pretty sure both are better than the receiver you got on your browns team.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Harvin.

Gruden ripped Patterson apart when he was drafted. JS obviously wasn't impressed with him. Tavon Austin was the only WR that JS was even willing to mention in the same sentence as Harvin. Even if Patterson eventually develops into a player, it won't be for another 2-3 years. Dude is RAW. Seattle is ready to win now. Haven't thought twice about him since the draft.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Thought the Vikings got bent over by the Patriots for the 29th pick, which they used on Patterson? The Seahawks pick was used on a defensive player if my memory serves me correctly. Just to nitpick.

I don't mind the draft picks given up for Harvin. It is the money tied up in the position that means a pretty good player is hitting the pavement next year. If Patterson kicks butt his rookie season, some will wonder the same thing about picking him vs investing heavy into Harvin. Harvin performs well, the questioning will not happen until next off-season when players are removed from the roster due to the money tied up in the position.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Patterson comes with the cheaper contract, which is true, but my understanding is he's fairly raw coming out of Tennessee. A one productive season and done with college sort of thing. So while Patterson may eventually be a tremendous WR, you're also putting in the time and effort to get to the finished product.

With Harvin we're paying for his production right now. I think with the position the Hawks are in it makes a lot of sense.
    Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body.

Jack Dempsey
    Fuzzman55
    NET Veteran

• Percy Harvin was almost an MVP candidate last year, What has Cordarrelle Patterson done in the NFL?, Nothing!!!!!!!
    Johnny
    NET Veteran

• Long live Todd Leiweke!!!
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Seesurfers, were you the poster who left the Seahawks to follow the Browns?
    FargoHawk
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• Patterson has a ton of running talent, but I'd be surprised if he makes a major impact for a few years. He has a lot to learn about the WR position.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• CANHawk wrote:Long live Todd Leiweke!!!

For the Walrus!

And Fargo, yes he was.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

• seesurfers wrote:A knock against is apparently he body catches and routes aren't overly crisp.

Uh, that's a pretty big knock. He'll need some time to develop; Harvin comes much more ready-made.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Many guys can catch, many are fast. Few learns to run crisp routes which is often the difference between a completion and an interception.

Not saying be won't pan out but looking good in practice is far from being an NFL star
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• I'd rather have Percy.

Two reasons: Until someone takes it from him, Percy is the best run after catch receiver in the NFL. I like Austin and Patterson, but #1 is #1. Also, Harvin can get himself open, Patterson is going to struggle with that a lot in his first few seasons, he's great after the catch but below average getting the catch unless the play is drawn up to feed him the ball. Think Bruce Irvin last year, as a WR.

Because we have so many weapons (wow that is cool to say), we need someone who can get max value on fewer touches. If we had Cordarelle, he might fill the same role as Harvin, but he is unlikely to do it as well, and Harvin is going to make plays every week as a second or third target that Patterson wouldn't make.
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Re: Percy Harvin vs. Cordarrelle Patterson
Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:39 pm
  • Maybe we can pickup Patterson from the Vikings , after Harvins contract is up in a few years if he becomes good.

j/k
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:56 pm
  • For 16 game clip in 2012, Harvin was on pace for about:

110 catches, 1200 yards, and 6 TDs. 64 First Downs (58%)

Not necessarily elite by any means compared to the best WRs in the game.

However, about 81.5 % of his receiving yards were made after the catch (552/677)

Which would put Harvin's YAC around 979 yards for a full-season. Unlikely that he would achieve such numbers through a full-season but through the 9 games he did play it was truly a tremendous feat.

Percy Harvin also had a 75.6% catch rate. Add that to the sure handed receiving trio of Rice, Tate, and Miller plus the ever-so-intelligent Russell Willson should give Seattle one of the most efficient passing games in the NFL.

If Baldwin shakes off his injury riddled so-so season last year and improves... If Willson becomes a field-stretching move TE... not many defenses will be able to match up against our Offense especially on what could be an improved running game.

Lots and lots of stuff to be excited for as a Seahawks fan. Hopefully we can click right out of the gates and not just the 2nd half like we have in 2011, 2012.
    If I seem too passionate, it’s because I care. And if I come on too strong, it’s because I feel strongly. And if I push too hard, it’s because things aren’t moving fast enough. This is my home, you are my family, and I promise you, I’m not going anywhere.” - L.K.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:58 pm
  • Uffda wrote:Maybe we can pickup Patterson from the Vikings , after Harvins contract is up in a few years if he becomes good.

j/k

We probably will, honetly.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:11 pm
  • Look no further than to Tate for a comparison. It took him three years to get it down; I suspect it will be the same for Patterson.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• Taters is a good comparison, even now if you had Harvin and Tate I would go with Harvin due to sheer ability to line up anywhere and make a defense account for you on every play.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• tomorrow never comes... we are built for today...
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• harvins cap hit 10m . Pattersons 1m

I'm glad we have Harvin . The only thing negative I could say about Harvin is he is eating alot of our cap.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:18 am
  • -The Glove- wrote:One's a proven NFL player. The other is a crapshoot. Who knows how they compare until Cordarelle gets some professional experience.

And one has Russell Wilson throwing him beautiful spirals. The other has Christian Ponder heaving passes that look like a dying fish flopping around for its last gasp.
    Last edited by Stephen SeaHawking on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Stephen SeaHawking
    NET Rookie

Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:28 am
  • This is a non-comparison. One is an established NFL player who has the ability to become All-Pro/MVP. The other is an unknown. Just like Tavon Austin from STL, NFLN is talking this guy up like he's the next big thing. Time will tell, I can't stand the talking heads saying how great a guy is before he's even earned a game check. With that said, this years draft didn't have two top QBs that were sure fire stars or really any offensive skill players drafted in the top-10 (other than Austin), so I'm sure that's why they keep talking him up.
    McG
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:48 am
  • I'll go with the consensus here. I prefer the established vet with experience with our O coordinator over a rook that will probably take a couple of years to really develop. One reason WRs don't get drafted #1 very often is that most require a couple of years to really contribute in significant ways.

The money is a concern, of course, but how much money do we need to buy high priced FAs in the near future anyway? Sure, it'll make it harder to sign/keep our vets, but every successful team has that problem.

Signing Harvin is very much a "strike while the iron's hot" philosophical statement that the team is ready, now, to challenge for the Lombardi over the next season or two. Overall, a good move IMHO.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• DavidSeven wrote:Harvin.

Gruden ripped Patterson apart when he was drafted. JS obviously wasn't impressed with him. Tavon Austin was the only WR that JS was even willing to mention in the same sentence as Harvin. Even if Patterson eventually develops into a player, it won't be for another 2-3 years. Dude is RAW. Seattle is ready to win now. Haven't thought twice about him since the draft.

Tavon Austin is the only thing Im worried about playing the Rams. The guy is a straight up baller!!
    hawksman53
    NET Veteran

• Here's the issues with Patterson:

- Perhaps the most unnatural catching technique you'll ever see. It's like a foreign art to him. Even the simple grabs he occasionally manages to contort his body into an awkward position making life difficult. Experience and coaching will help, but he's starting from scratch.

- Major concentration issues. He drifts in and out of games. There are times when you wonder if there's somewhere else he needs to be. His drop against Georgia, eliminating a sure-fire TD bomb was beyond ugly.

- Despite being a big receiver, he's delicate. Doesn't want to get rough. Doesn't compete. Awful pick-six against Akron because he rounded off a route and couldn't be arsed to go for the ball. He's not the type you throw it up to and he makes the big play in traffic.

- Character just seems... off. He might just be shy, but he's also nervous as hell in interviews and doesn't look comfortable in the spot light. Might be nothing, but worth noting.

On the plus side he is without doubt an incredible athlete who can score a touchdown or break off a huge play any time he has the ball. They might force feed him as a rookie and hope he can make huge plays, it'll help the awful Ponder but might put a lot of pressure on a guy who's maybe not ready for it. I suspect teams will get at him, push him around and he won't like it. He needs to get angry.

On the other hand, Harvin is the ultimate competitor. Always fighting, scrapping. Plays above his size.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Are we really comparing a guy who has already proven what he's capable of to someone who hasn't even stepped on a football field as a pro?

Thank god the preseason is almost here.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:32 pm
  • drdiags wrote:Thought the Vikings got bent over by the Patriots for the 29th pick, which they used on Patterson?

I would disagree somewhat. I think Belicheck made a mistake by claiming that there was no first round talent there. He did good to draft Jamie Collins OLB out of Southern Miss though and if he plays very well, it will pan out. The other 2 picks he got from Minnesota were "meh." Another 5'11" DB from Rutgers and Josh Boyce, a WR from TCU. Some people liked Boyce but from what little I saw, he was mediocre. Looks like he might get playing time this year though. Lucky him.

When Belicheck traded Seymour for the Raiders 1st round pick I came to the conclusion that he's not very good with draft picks and talent. He's a great coach but he should leave the GMing to someone else. If he would have kept Richard Seymour, they would have completed that 19-0 season. But his ego got the better of him.

So as you can see, I think the Vikings did okay to trade away those picks for a 1st rounder. The only problem is they took Patterson with it. He's a boom or bust type of player who has the physical talent but not the mental make up to get the job done. When I watched him, after every play he "sauntered" back to the huddle. I like the Golden Tate comparison because Cordarelle probably thinks all he has to do is show up, well he's going to get a rude awakening, just like Tate did.

If "CP" puts his nose to the grindstone and gets the most out of his physical talents, he could be a very good player, but I see Randy Moss attitude written all over him.

Percy Harvin is the no doubt, straight up winner in this contest and the season will open up a yawning chasm between the accomplishments of Harvin vs Patterson.

I figure it will take CP 4 years to start reaching his potential. Unless they put him at RB behind All Day, that might open things up for him, but then he'd probably just fumble the ball the first time he got hit.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:14 am
  • Patterson might be a difference maker almost immediately. IMO.. Mostly because of having to account for AP. Who knows, with the right coaching and work ethic he could be great. Good luck to him....unless it's against the Hawks.
    Watching Beast Mode run the ball.
    Catching a Bo Jackson baseball. Kingdome, centerfield, over the cannon.
    Jim Presley with a full count, 2 out, down by 3, bottom of the 9th Grand Slam.

My favorite all time sports memory
    "The Seattle Seahawks are Super Bowl CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!"
    JaiSeaSea
    NET Rookie

• Thanks for allowing me on your message board hawks fans (vikings fan if didn't notice the nic).y

Fun debate here:

I will start with my observation of Percy Harvins Positives.
    PRO:
    -elite short area burst
    -excellent short to medium receiver.
    -good at finding spots in the zone.
    -great core strength that prevents him from going down easily.
    -great vision
    -good at splitting defenders
    -great with the ball in hands anywhere on the field.
    -always fighting for the extra yard.
    -able to change directions at speed.
    -hard worker
    -practices hard
    -makes quick decisions.

Cons
    -sometimes body catches the ball
    -doesn't extend his arms when catching the balls
    -struggles on adjusting to the football when a throw has a lot of "air" (you won't find this on utube).
    -doesn't get the seperation you expect when going deep.
    -does a funky basked catch on lower side balls (it looks like a High schooler when doing this).
    -tends to get frustrated when not enough action comes his way
    -doesn't win when fighting with CB for ball.
    -drugs-suspended for a game in 2008 and tested positive at the combine.
    -emotional control- junior in high school suspended for a game after getting into it with a player that was looking at him wrong. Physical contact with a ref his senior year resulting in suspension for the rest of the sporting year. Tried to choke (or sprewell) his WR coach in college that required two coaches to get him off. Threw 10 pound weight at Childress who shut weight room door avoiding getting hit. Tirade against Childress in practice. Tirade against Frazier against Seattle. tirade against Frazier in practice . (Frazier is often regarded by players and the press as the nicest guy in football)

When watching high lights of CP i am reminded of Harvin alot. However, Harvin had more polish as a route runner. CP doesn't always extend his hands out to catch the ball and let's it get in on his body. Harvin does this sometimes but not as often as CP. CP, like Harvin, can cut at speed. However, CPs cuts are more drastic and is far more willing to run east west. Almost too much. I wish Harvin would do a little more east west running and CP a little less. I also think CP adjust to deep ball better than HP does.

One of my biggest concearns with Harvin, other than the behavior and drug issues, is the contact issue. As much as I enjoy his fearless play, I would prefer to see him take less hits. As i menetioned in the cons, Harvin missed more game times than his player stats indicate. There were many times where he missed a quarter after a bruising collision. I could live with a couple yards less but being available vs. his disregard for his health. I would prefer that he would show more control and do it when it mattered most in the game or possibly save it for the playoffs. Trust me on this, many of the hawks fans will come to the same conclusion. Yes, we do have AD who lead the league with an amazing 1019 yards after contact-300 to 400 more yards than the nearest competitor. Maybe being away from the league leader in yards after contact will tamper his drive to seek contact.

I do not think that CP will be a bust. Because at the very least, he will be a top returner and run the gadget plays (short screens, reverses, and handoffs). Second, if you watch the highlights of CP, you will notice that many of the very same plays that Harvin ran under musgrave, the TNV ran. So the Percy Package will become the Patterson package (keep your minds out of the gutter;)). So, CP will be productive but it comes down to the how much. when players can change direction at speed, thy have a high degree of success at the pro level IMOP

BTW, initial reports out of our OTAs gave very positive reviews about CP. The coaches said he was farther along then they initially thought he would be and Jennings said he was impressed with CPs ability to create seperation.

I think, when you look at both are teams, that this could be a win win situation. The hawks fans feel he might be the final piece for a SB run that begins now and the vikings, despite going 10-6, are replenishing the roster and in a more building mode not a tweeking one.

It will be an interesting comparison thoghout the years. But the guy you guys need to worry about is Tavon Austin. He is on another level. However, his avoidance of hits is to the point of giving up 5-10 yards in an effort to go out of bounce. I expect a lot of trash talk from seattle about this aspect of tavon's play.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/55356/sport-science-cordarrelle-patterson
    TheGrandViking
    NET Bench Warmer

• If Patterson is really good, the Seahawks will get him in a few years. Nobody wants to re-sign there except maybe John Carlson.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

• Thanks for stopping by Viking! I have also noticed Harvin's willingness to throw his body around, as have many on this board. I sometimes cringe watching his highlights because he is out there seeking contact on his smaller frame.
    cacksman
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:32 pm
  • Hey Viking, are Packers fans really THAT petty and winey?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Harvin no question.

This is a team that wants to be physical. Harvin fits that perfectly. Patterson shies from contact. He may look good in shorts in May, but when the pads get on and NFL corners and safeties baptize him to the big leagues, we're going to find out how much he wants to be a pro.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• It's all good, he eats up cap, but he'll be eating up yards and td's. Gotta Eat!
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• I'd rather have Harvin. The contract you guys gave him was fair to both sides. Win for Seahawks
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran

• rideaducati wrote:If Patterson is really good, the Seahawks will get him in a few years. Nobody wants to re-sign there except maybe John Carlson.

Is that a knock on the city of Minneapolis or the Vikings franchise?
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran

• There is a deep level of hatred from some fans for the Vikings based on the poison pill they put in the contract for Steve Hutchinson which essentially guaranteed all the money if he was not the highest paid lineman on the team and if he played a certain number of games in the state of Washington. Our GM at the time gave him the transition tag which was supposed to be for him to go out and find market value. It ended up burning the Seahawks because of the crap the Vikings pulled and the arbitrator for some unknown reason ruled in the Vikings favor.

Since then we have signed Nate Burleson, Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin (Trade), Antoine Winfield, Tavaris Jackson, among others I think so we seem to sign their players once they are free to leave. I think that was the main reason for his comment.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• Throwdown wrote:Hey Viking, are Packers fans really THAT petty and winey?

Long before the "fail Mary", a common response to Packers is do you want some whine with that cheese?

The one quality about Packer fans that set them apart is that they think they are special. Please no jokes about special as in special ed. The fact is they've led a charmed "fan existence" and they don't deal well with a little adversity. They've had so much go their way when something doesn't turn out the way it "ought" to they lose it.

The hate for the Pete C (he should have been contrite after the win according to Packer fans) and the seahawks in general is off the charts. The lost home field advantage, yada, yada. Actually, i think the refs got it right and i was watching it live and went over it with my DVR. looked good to me :lol:

Next time packer fans say they got screwed refer to this from 2002, Monday night football.

Associated Press
    MINNEAPOLIS -- The NFL acknowledged Wednesday its officiating crew made at least nine mistakes during Sunday's Green Bay-Minnesota game, including a pass interference call that negated a Vikings' interception on the Packers' game-winning drive.
    The mistakes were documented in a confidential memorandum, according to several league sources.

The Vikings (3-10) lost the game 26-22 in Green Bay. Eight of the affected plays occurred in the fourth quarter, when the Packers (10-3) made up a nine-point deficit with two unanswered touchdowns.

It gained them home field advantage. Maybe it was just the karmic law.
    I'm not going to respond to any more packer talk bc it will just derail this thread.
    TheGrandViking
    NET Bench Warmer

• TheGrandViking wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Hey Viking, are Packers fans really THAT petty and winey?

Long before the "fail Mary", a common response to Packers is do you want some whine with that cheese?

The one quality about Packer fans that set them apart is that they think they are special. Please no jokes about special as in special ed. The fact is they've led a charmed "fan existence" and they don't deal well with a little adversity. They've had so much go their way when something doesn't turn out the way it "ought" to they lose it.

The hate for the Pete C (he should have been contrite after the win according to Packer fans) and the seahawks in general is off the charts. The lost home field advantage, yada, yada. Actually, i think the refs got it right and i was watching it live and went over it with my DVR. looked good to me :lol:

Next time packer fans say they got screwed refer to this from 2002, Monday night football.

Associated Press
    MINNEAPOLIS -- The NFL acknowledged Wednesday its officiating crew made at least nine mistakes during Sunday's Green Bay-Minnesota game, including a pass interference call that negated a Vikings' interception on the Packers' game-winning drive.
    The mistakes were documented in a confidential memorandum, according to several league sources.

The Vikings (3-10) lost the game 26-22 in Green Bay. Eight of the affected plays occurred in the fourth quarter, when the Packers (10-3) made up a nine-point deficit with two unanswered touchdowns.

It gained them home field advantage. Maybe it was just the karmic law.
    I'm not going to respond to any more packer talk bc it will just derail this thread.

I hope you stick around
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• -The Glove- wrote:I hope you stick around

I agree. Some very good insight.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• seesurfers wrote:I've been hearing a lot of great stuff about Cordarrelle coming out of Vikings camp. For those of you that don't know him, he is a bigger faster do-it-all wr/rb/pr Percy Harvin type that Minn took with our 1st rounder. A knock against is apparently he body catches and routes aren't overly crisp.

i honestly know nothing more about the kid than what I read and a quick highlight reel. Highlight reel is very impressive, by the way! My question to those that know him is, would we rather have Cordarrelle with his cheaper contract and our draft picks back or Percy Harvin? Now, I'm not hatin Percy. in fact, I love him. And it may have just been worth it to keep him away from San Fran...BUT...Just seems like we could have kept our picks and got a bigger faster version of him with Cordarrell with our 1st. Thoughts?

Derek Stephens rated him as his #1 WR for the Hawks going into the draft. Here is the link to the podcast discussing his pros/cons.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/201 ... y-wr-group
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:35 pm
  • Harvin was in talks for the NFL MVP last season...that's pretty impressive given it's a QB league and AP was doing his thing as well.

I'll take that over the rookie (that seems pretty raw).

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:06 am
  • My first thoughts when i heard about the injury was did it happen while with the Vikings? Is there any chance they can nullify the trade.? However, once he passed the physicial we are off the hook it seems. Even when he is with another team, he somehow creates some anxiety for the Vikings. He seems to have a special gift in this regard.

I am also curious as to how this injury happened. I believe 4 vikings have had this injury in the past and it all involved contact (s.Rice recovered the fastest and Matt Birk the longest at 5 months). Was this injury contact or non-contact?

Also, did the seahawks and Harvin have a pow-wow or did he just make an executive decision on this? It seems i read something by Pete saying the seahawks and harving were going to get all the information and make a decision. Did he just decide and then inform the team?

See, that is the thing with Harvin, it is always something.
    Thanks for stopping by Viking! I have also noticed Harvin's willingness to throw his body around, as have many on this board. I sometimes cringe watching his highlights because he is out there seeking contact on his smaller frame.

This was and is always the question with Harvin. Your board should just put up a sticky or pin with this at the top of the board. If you wanted to waste some time and look at some vikings sites, you will see the following questions mentioned with Harvin (Before the trade): Can he really keep this ups with his frame, how long can he play like this, will he hold up through the season, and will his availablity get worse as time goes on. He plays like he is a power back but his frame is that of 160 pound person. You can have delts the size of bowling balls, but your frame stays the same.

He has taken some huge hits over his time with minnesota that are not viewable on u-tube. The very first game of 2012 had him taking a massive shot on a kickoff. He missed some snaps after that. He also has missed series, quarters and halves after taking some shots in 2012 and his previous year. It is not reflected in the stats.

C. Carter, before we traded harvin, made an observation. A WR should avoid contact because availability is the most important attribute of any player. AS much as I enjoyed Harvin's style, I'm moved over to that camp.

Yes, some Vikings fans are dipping into the Schadenfreude pool, so to speak. But other, who respected a player that actually gave 100% every play. are a bit sad (many claim they gave 100% but few actually do). I just feel a sense of relief, not that he is injured, that we are not somehow on the hook for this trade.

The debate should have been restated as this. Harvin+14.5 million vs. the rookie Patterson +2million + draft picks. Obviously a rookie who hasn't played a down will be at a disadvantage vs. a 4 year vet. It is more complicated than originally stated. The contact will probably result in the Seahawks choosing Tate or S.Rice. Because, even though the seahawks are in great shape with the cap, 25-30 million will be alot to pay receivers. Tate probably benifits the most for he will probably see more passes thus increasing the amount he will get for his contract.

Patterson is having a very good camp according to reports. Made a one handed grab on a deep ball and is much farther along than anticipated by the coaching staff. This is going to be an interesting comparison by year. I was sure that Harvin would have the edge in year one and two with Patterson starting to get very close in year 3. However, he may actuall "win" year one. I am going to wach some trainning camp in a couple of days. It will be real curious to see where he is at. Just read a report about his impressive change of direction and explosioin of the line. The debate continues.
    TheGrandViking
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:18 am
  • TheGrandViking wrote:My first thoughts when i heard about the injury was did it happen while with the Vikings? Is there any chance they can nullify the trade.? However, once he passed the physicial we are off the hook it seems. Even when he is with another team, he somehow creates some anxiety for the Vikings. He seems to have a special gift in this regard.

I am also curious as to how this injury happened. I believe 4 vikings have had this injury in the past and it all involved contact (s.Rice recovered the fastest and Matt Birk the longest at 5 months). Was this injury contact or non-contact?

Also, did the seahawks and Harvin have a pow-wow or did he just make an executive decision on this? It seems i read something by Pete saying the seahawks and harving were going to get all the information and make a decision. Did he just decide and then inform the team?

See, that is the thing with Harvin, it is always something.
    Thanks for stopping by Viking! I have also noticed Harvin's willingness to throw his body around, as have many on this board. I sometimes cringe watching his highlights because he is out there seeking contact on his smaller frame.

This was and is always the question with Harvin. Your board should just put up a sticky or pin with this at the top of the board. If you wanted to waste some time and look at some vikings sites, you will see the following questions mentioned with Harvin (Before the trade): Can he really keep this ups with his frame, how long can he play like this, will he hold up through the season, and will his availablity get worse as time goes on. He plays like he is a power back but his frame is that of 160 pound person. You can have delts the size of bowling balls, but your frame stays the same.

He has taken some huge hits over his time with minnesota that are not viewable on u-tube. The very first game of 2012 had him taking a massive shot on a kickoff. He missed some snaps after that. He also has missed series, quarters and halves after taking some shots in 2012 and his previous year. It is not reflected in the stats.

C. Carter, before we traded harvin, made an observation. A WR should avoid contact because availability is the most important attribute of any player. AS much as I enjoyed Harvin's style, I'm moved over to that camp.

Yes, some Vikings fans are dipping into the Schadenfreude pool, so to speak. But other, who respected a player that actually gave 100% every play. are a bit sad (many claim they gave 100% but few actually do). I just feel a sense of relief, not that he is injured, that we are not somehow on the hook for this trade.

The debate should have been restated as this. Harvin+14.5 million vs. the rookie Patterson +2million + draft picks. Obviously a rookie who hasn't played a down will be at a disadvantage vs. a 4 year vet. It is more complicated than originally stated. The contact will probably result in the Seahawks choosing Tate or S.Rice. Because, even though the seahawks are in great shape with the cap, 25-30 million will be alot to pay receivers. Tate probably benifits the most for he will probably see more passes thus increasing the amount he will get for his contract.

Patterson is having a very good camp according to reports. Made a one handed grab on a deep ball and is much farther along than anticipated by the coaching staff. This is going to be an interesting comparison by year. I was sure that Harvin would have the edge in year one and two with Patterson starting to get very close in year 3. However, he may actuall "win" year one. I am going to wach some trainning camp in a couple of days. It will be real curious to see where he is at. Just read a report about his impressive change of direction and explosioin of the line. The debate continues.

I also think you have to look at where the Seahawks are currently at when analyzing this trade. Patterson may be a great receiver in three years time...maybe not. The Seahawks think they can win the Superbowl NOW. The risk of acquiring a player like Harvin was worth the risk. Not many times a player of his ability becomes available, he is a definite game changer. Are there question marks? Or course. But even with this injury the move was a calculated gamble. It doesnt look great right now...but if Harvin comes back and contributes to a Super Bowl win then it was more than worth it.
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:19 am
  • FO thought Harvin was a better '1st round pick' then Patterson.

I'll trust them.
    DericLee
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:26 am
  • I also think you have to look at where the Seahawks are currently at when analyzing this trade. Patterson may be a great receiver in three years time...maybe not. The Seahawks think they can win the Superbowl NOW. The risk of acquiring a player like Harvin was worth the risk. Not many times a player of his ability becomes available, he is a definite game changer. Are there question marks? Or course. But even with this injury the move was a calculated gamble. It doesnt look great right now...but if Harvin comes back and contributes to a Super Bowl win then it was more than worth it.

:2:

Here is what i wrote from my first post here:

I think, when you look at both are teams, that this could be a win win situation. The hawks fans feel he might be the final piece for a SB run that begins now and the vikings, despite going 10-6, are replenishing the roster and in a more building mode not a tweeking one.

I am trying to make the case this is more complex than at first blush.
    TheGrandViking
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:31 am
  • DericLee wrote:FO thought Harvin was a better '1st round pick' then Patterson.

I'll trust them.

Actually, your FO is saying 14.5 million and Harvin is better than Patterson and 2 million + .3rd and 7th and possibly losing tate or s.rice after year 1. I just don't think it is slam dunk as you are making it. l
    TheGrandViking
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:35 am
  • TheGrandViking wrote:
    DericLee wrote:FO thought Harvin was a better '1st round pick' then Patterson.

I'll trust them.

Actually, your FO is saying 14.5 million and Harvin is better than Patterson and 2 million + .3rd and 7th and possibly losing tate or s.rice after year 1. I just don't think it is slam dunk as you are making it. l

Yo vikes fan...learn your own team bro. Xavier-Rhodes was picked with the Harvin traded 1st.

Regardless I would take the proven talent over a guy thats a project all day, especially when you are a superbowl contender. :th2thumbs:
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:43 am
  • T-Sizzle wrote:
    TheGrandViking wrote:
    DericLee wrote:FO thought Harvin was a better '1st round pick' then Patterson.

I'll trust them.

Yo vikes fan...learn your own team bro. Xavier-Rhodes was picked with the Harvin traded 1st.

Regardless I would take the proven talent over a guy thats a project all day, especially when you are a superbowl contender. :th2thumbs:

Bro, I am well aware of that fact. Are you aware the original post is really a what if question? Even though the title just is Patterson vs. harvin the question is should the Hawks have draft patterson instead of trading for harvin.
    TheGrandViking
    NET Bench Warmer

Next

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:08 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information