What If?

What If the Seahawks lose the first game against the Panthers?

• Big deal. It's still the Super Bowl season. 0-1 means nothing.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • It would be a shock. I won't lie. I expect this team to start 1-0.

Votes: 82 64.1%
  • Not sure how I would feel. Ambivalent?

Votes: 13 10.2%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So I am dealing with the same thing you all are. Everyone I talk to that mentions the Seahawks these days is talking Super Bowl.

It's SO weird, right?

We ARE the sexy pick to win it all. Pinch me.

There's just one little problem.

The What If.

We could play the What If game for a long, long time. But let me be the party pooper and start with one simple question:

vin.couve12

Reaction score
This team is capable of physically dominating any team in the league. If they lose week 1 they were either unprepared, too immature, or outcoached...and I don't like any of those options.

Reaction score
Ugggh...i chose the middle option. I dread to see what this place'll look like should we lose week 1.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm sure this place would melt down, but it's a long season and an early loss at 10AM to a pretty solid Panthers team would not be the end of the world. This is the Any Given Sunday league.

We lost at Arizona last year. That loss shocked me. Yet we ended up 30 seconds (or a healthy Clem) away from the NFC Championship game.

Week 1 doesn't make or break your season.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3c3nyutl said:
I'm sure this place would melt down, but it's a long season and early loss at 10AM to a pretty solid Panthers team would not be the end of the world. This is the Any Given Sunday league.

We lost at Arizona last year. That loss shocked me. Yet we ended up 30 seconds (or a healthy Clem) away from the NFC Championship game.

Phfshsh......don't be running 'round here with all that perspective!

volsunghawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1nahrods said:
I'm sure this place would melt down, but it's a long season and an early loss at 10AM to a pretty solid Panthers team would not be the end of the world. This is the Any Given Sunday league.

This, exactly.

While I'm more confident in our team's chances on the road in any given week than I have been in a long time, road games are still going to be harder than home games. Especially early games three time zones away.

Add in the usual Week 1 upset potential and the fact that the team the Seahawks will be facing was one of the hottest teams down the stretch last year (they finished 5-1 in their last 6 games), and it's entirely possible for Seattle to lose their first game.

But that doesn't mean a thing when it comes to the season as a whole.

8 of the last 10 SB champs lost one of their first 3 games, many of them losing their first road game. Hell, the 2007 Giants started off 0-2 and still won it all.

Sure, getting out to a 6-0 or 7-0 start is nice because it gives you more room for error, but I can tell you that I'd rather finish on a hot streak far more than start on a hot streak.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
MissoulaHawkFan":3754b8bu said:
Ugggh...i chose the middle option. I dread to see what this place'll look like should we lose week 1.
That's why I won't be here for a day or two after until it calms down. Either way it would be shocking but not the end of the season if it does happen. We lost last year and nearly made the NFC championship so a week 1 loss does not make or break your season.

Largent80

Reaction score
You can look at it this way. That week one loss to AZ. kept us on the road for the playoffs.

So, it isn't important... :roll:

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1jvskz7e said:
You can look at it this way. That week one loss to AZ. kept us on the road for the playoffs.

So, it isn't important... :roll:

Or that Week 4 loss to the Rams. Or the Week 7 loss to the 49ers. Or the Week 8 loss at Detroit.

We didn't miss out on getting a home game in the postseason because we lost one game in Week 1. We missed out because we lost 5 games.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Hard to say, but the media would be breaking their ankles to create a controversy and this place would be hard to visit b/c of negativity.

Even with a SuperBowl quality team and a Championship year there will be bumps in the road. The race to the big game is a marathon not a sprint and many would need to chill out and trust the talent here to get it done in the long run.

To me it wouldn't make too much difference but the team should win the ones they ought to win.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I'm going to be shocked by any loss next year.

Really, though, it's the home owner that will be more important, IMO.

Johnny

Reaction score
There is no reason we shouldn't be able to beat the Panthers game one (none!), and my great dislike for Cam Newton/Steve Smith would make the lose even harder to swallow..

drdiags

Reaction score
It would stink to lose the opener. The national media hype bubble would burst (which isn't a bad thing), local talk radio would be melting down and the fire XXX threads would be in full bloom.

The Panthers played the Seahawks pretty tight last season and should have won if Cam doesn't turf the football on the 4th and goal. Trufant and Browner's tackle at the 1 was pretty crucial as well. I am sure the majority of folks will have this game as a victory, but the Seahawks have never dominated the Panthers in Charlotte and I don't expect it to happen this season either.

Expecting a win, hoping for a win. Will be disappointed if the team loses but I will lick my wounds and move on.

Sac

Reaction score
I would be shocked, honestly. While their offense can be very productive, their defense is awful. I mean awful awful. For us to lose to Carolina in week one we'd have to have a really bad day on both sides of the ball.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
For me it's all about how they lost that would be the gauge of my emotional status. If they lost on a fluke play or it was one whale of a game that we just came up short, I can deal with that.

If we got waxed and looked like a joke...That's where I would need meds.