Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: 'Hawk Thoughts: Tight Ends
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:26 pm 
NET Veteran

First, I would like to see Russell Wilson and Zach Miller develop a healthy and trustworthy relationship. Wilson is an elite scrambler, the Seahawks O-line is on track to put in its greatest season since 2007. Anthony McCoy is out, which leaves Miller as the only experienced TE on roster, almost literally (McGrath was activated for a couple of games last year).

Miller has the greatest opportunity to put in a productive season and emerge as that productively elite TE many envisioned when the Seahawks signed him to a lucrative contract.

Somewhere along the stat-lines of 50 catches, 600 yards, and 6 TDs, would be nice.

C’mon Miller we dare you to become the Seahawk’s greatest TE.

Secondly, I would like to continue to see Sean McGrath beef up some more while maintaining his speed. This off-season I’ve read that he has gained 10 pounds, from 247 to 257. If he is able to reach that 265 platform, I think he’ll be a sneaky awesome TE like McCoy was at times last year. Many will think, “Look at that dude, he’s just a blocker, watch the run”, “Yeah, he’s listed as a backup snapper, he ain’t a thang”, Then McGrath will run a fluid smooth route, embarrassing whatever LBer is on him, use his soft, reliable hands to make a catch, and barrel down the field for more yardage. White McCoy.

Thirdly, I would like to see Luke Willson, slim down to about 245 getting his speed factor to max out while adding plenty of strength in the process. Then the Seahawks can use him in a variety of ways as a move TE, even on the perimeter as 6th WR: 6’5, 245 with possible 4.45-4.50 speed. (Goodbye Stephen Williams).

Coupled with Willson getting possible WR reps, I would like to see the Seahawks beef up WR Chris Harper to 240 without him losing much speed. I'm dreaming about a 6’1, 240 pound WR with 4.45-4.5 speed. Then I would like Harp to learn to play a variety roles: 5 WR, 4TE, 3FB + ST ace. Be a more versatile Delanie Walker.

#3 taught Doubters, GREATNESS can be a product of HARD WORK.
#25 taught America, that we're ALL just CLASSLESS jerks.
#24 taught the Media, to REAP what you SOW.
#12 taught the NFL, TO BE LOUDER.

YOU WANTED THIS NOISE, AMERICA.
DON'T PLAY WITH DYNAMITE, IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE BOOM.

Last edited by Pandion Haliaetus on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Random TE Thoughts
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:45 pm 
NET Veteran

If I were you, i would change that title because Kearly may pursue legal action for using his trademarked "random thoughts".

But in all seriousness, good stuff.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:48 pm 
NET Veteran

Hopefully he won't. But just in case.

Post subject: Re: 'Hawk Thoughts: Tight Ends
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:12 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *

Nah. Even I kind of hate using "random thoughts," but I'm too much of a hack to think of anything less blase that still rolls off the tongue. :)

As far as the OP, I'll be happy if Miller can just play all season as if the foot injury from the Falcons' game never happened. If he does that, he'll have a nice season.

Also, I kind of hope they keep Willson where he's at size wise. Big WRs who run 4.50 forty times are a dime a dozen, 251 pound TEs that run a 4.51 are not. That plus we really need all the help we can get at TE, at WR we are overstocked.

Last edited by kearly on Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:14 pm 
* NET News Scoop *
* NET News Scoop *

KitsapHawk wrote:
If I were you, i would change that title because Kearly may pursue legal action for using his trademarked "random thoughts".

But in all seriousness, good stuff.

:sarcasm_off:

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:59 pm 
* Gangnameister *

Pandion Haliaetus, congratulations on making a post that was actually short enough to read all in one sitting!

And FWIW, I think Miller probably already is the Hawks greatest TE of all time... which isn't really saying much because the bar was set at Itula Mili or Pete Metzalaars.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:03 pm 
NET Veteran

Aaron Hernandez is available.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:11 pm 
* Gangnameister *

rjdriver wrote:

Nope. He's going to be under a 40 year contract with the San Quentin Soap Droppers by the sound of it...

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:38 pm 
* NET Baller *

I thought it was 25 year deal with a option for life?

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:46 pm 
NET Veteran

CANHawk wrote:
rjdriver wrote:

Nope. He's going to be under a 40 year contract with the San Quentin Soap Droppers by the sound of it...

Let me guess. He will be their featured tight end right?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:46 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

PH, I finally get you. You are a fiddler. You just like messing with stuff. That is the only way I can explain why to want our tight end to lose weight so he can play receiver, and you want a receiver to gain weight so he can play some tight end.

Which don't make no sense.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:42 am 
* Dirty Harry *
* Dirty Harry *

Scottemojo wrote:
PH, I finally get you. You are a fiddler. You just like messing with stuff. That is the only way I can explain why to want our tight end to lose weight so he can play receiver, and you want a receiver to gain weight so he can play some tight end.

Which don't make no sense.

We call them "knob turners" where I come from. Always looking for ways to make good things better.

Nothing wrong with that, except when they start messing with stuff other people already have squared away.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:48 pm 
NET Veteran

Russ Willstrong wrote:
CANHawk wrote:
rjdriver wrote:

Let me guess. He will be their featured tight end right?

They'll turn him into a wide receiver.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:55 pm 
NET Practice Squad

CANHawk wrote:
And FWIW, I think Miller probably already is the Hawks greatest TE of all time... which isn't really saying much because the bar was set at Itula Mili or Pete Metzalaars.

How could you possibly leave Charle Young out of that discussion?

If you look at Young's entire career, he would be the greatest TE whoever played for the Seahawks, although Zach Miller still has a chance of surpassing him, Young, however, only played three seasons for the Seahawks at the end of his career. His three season average is better than Zach Miller's two season average, so although Miller will surely be the better Seahawk TE by the end of his career, he hasn't surpassed Young yet. I suppose we can also claim that Miller right now, in spite of his two year stats with the Hawks, is better than an aging Charle Young was, which I think is true.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:29 pm 
* NET Alumni *

Pandion Haliaetus wrote:
Thirdly, I would like to see Luke Willson, slim down to about 245 getting his speed factor to max out while adding plenty of strength in the process. Then the Seahawks can use him in a variety of ways as a move TE, even on the perimeter as 6th WR: 6’5, 245 with possible 4.45-4.50 speed. (Goodbye Stephen Williams).

Coupled with Willson getting possible WR reps, I would like to see the Seahawks beef up WR Chris Harper to 240 without him losing much speed. I'm dreaming about a 6’1, 240 pound WR with 4.45-4.5 speed. Then I would like Harp to learn to play a variety roles: 5 WR, 4TE, 3FB + ST ace. Be a more versatile Delanie Walker.

Sounds like your describing 6'-4" 235 lb. conversion project Victor Marshall who
ran a 4.52-second 40-yard dash during the regional combine at VMAC.

Credit >>> http://www.seahawks.com/assets/images/i ... ll-600.jpgImage

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:30 pm 
NET Veteran

I was under the impression that the Seahawks were thinking about Tight Ends like these.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
.Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:45 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

Dirty ol' man alert.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:53 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *

I bet they couldn't crack a 6.0 forty with hips that wide. Oh wait. Draft season's over.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:33 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor

We are in TE hell on paper.

Fortunately P & J don't use paper and we will be o.k. at T.E. this year.

Somehow I trust them. :roll:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:29 pm 
NET Veteran

Largent80 wrote:
We are in TE hell on paper.

Fortunately P & J don't use paper and we will be o.k. at T.E. this year.

Somehow I trust them. :roll:

Only if you don't believe McGrath can't be a replaceable option for McCoy. Its not like McCoy was absolutely tearing up in the past few seasons either, he was a young, improving player getting snaps.

McGrath is a young, improving player that will be getting an opportunity. We saw plenty of players drafted or undrafted make a considerable difference when given an opportunity. Also, frankly I think McGrath will be better than McCoy. Just something about those hands.

Luke Willson likely will be a better replacement than Evan Moore. It isn't often you get a TE with his capabilities. 4.5 speed at 250 pounds with his explosion and tested strength is a dangerous combination.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:41 pm 
NET Veteran

I'm liking our TE situation. Zach Miller is a stud at TE and I think he's due for a Pro Bowl type season. I believe Willson is going to be used as our long yardage 2nd TE. I think McGrath outperforms McCoy and we cut McCoy at the end of preseason, if not before. McCoy knows the system, but drops in critical situations leave a really bad impression. Mix that with his lumbering speed as a downfield threat and his inability to create yards after the catch; and I find myself waning away from him.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:49 pm 
NET Veteran

Miller is a Pro Bowler already, we just seen his abilities used in the playoffs, he was doing that in Oakland and is why we signed him. Willson could have his arms cut off and be as effective as Moore was for us, so I'll concede he is an upgrade. I don't want an upgrade at TE I want impact player though to put a bunch of pressure on the Linebackers and slot guys already worried about our RB's and Harvin as well as Baldwin in the underneath stuff and swing routes. Then we see them hit the seam route and be big gainers when the defense cheats and opens up the longer routes.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
.Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:20 am 
NET Veteran

The chemistry between RW and Miller is practically there already, IMO. I'm interested in seeing RW and L. Wilson do a similar mind meld because of the added speed element. If Luke can manage to wrestle the backup spot from Mcgrath, the Hawks will be sittin perty! Hopefully Fells makes it to the practice squad. Would love to see special red zone plays dialed up for him, but that's probably a bit optimistic as he likely won't be in the 53 if he manages to stay on the team.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:01 am 
* Dirty Harry *
* Dirty Harry *

Ya know, I do prefer to talk about tight ends rather than wideouts... :lol:

Can't wait to hear the announcers this year:

"Wilson under center... play action fake.... Wilson... Willson!... Separation!... Touchdown!"

How long do you think it'll take for them just to call them "Russell" and "Luke"?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:45 pm 
NET Veteran

chris98251 wrote:
I was under the impression that the Seahawks were thinking about Tight Ends like these.

You had me at thong.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:06 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor

Regardless of speculation and pics, this team has only one TE on the roster that has played in the NFL. How in the hell can you be comfortable with that?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:19 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

Largent80 wrote:
Regardless of speculation and pics, this team has only one TE on the roster that has played in the NFL. How in the hell can you be comfortable with that?

I'm not.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:48 pm 
NET Veteran

Scottemojo wrote:
Largent80 wrote:

I'm not.

Zach Miller staying healthy will be key. Still, Wilson is special. What if Wilson makes Willson look like a Wilson in his first season just like we all hope Willson... will? Perhaps we'll eventually hear other teams looking for the next Willson as well.

There's only a few spots to be had there. So, unless you have a healthy, elite TE and a seasoned capable backup... not many teams are often exactly comfortable with a position like this. However... when you have a QB that can turn average players into great players and great players into elite players... I think we can rest easy. We just haven't had that luxury to know this is going to be the case for the foreseeable future! I think we're still perhaps in a bit of shock and haven't quite realized to the full extent just what we've now got at the QB position... and to think that the best is yet to come.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:27 pm 
NET Veteran

Largent80 wrote:

Incorrect. Mcgrath has 'played in the NFL,' so that makes two including Miller.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]